The Good Old Days

taxmantoo

OMG, sorry to get off topic, but I just looked at the date to see when I joined (or re-joined) CC, to see that I've got 8800 posts . . . they either add up quickly, or I'm a tad too chatty!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

A previous poster mentioned raising the topic of Dutch Night.  Yes!  Add to that the Dutch Fair that was held in a public room and foyer back in the '70's.  And, the Royal Dutch Tea!

Tell us about the Dutch Fair, please.  Before my time, but sounds good!  

31 minutes ago, atexsix said:

LOL.

We could ask about baked Alaska parades while we're at it. I proposed eliminating them in a thread years ago and thought I was going to be forced to walk the plank (how dare I suggest such a thing), ironically HAL ended up doing away with them anyway, sadly the ice carvings and dessert extravaganzas went with it.  I never wanted to go THAT far!

Are you kidding? 

The Baked Alaska parade is gone? 

(If this is an April fool's joke, you nailed me as a sucker. LOL)

1 hour ago, Vic The Parrot said:

Are you kidding? 

The Baked Alaska parade is gone? 

(If this is an April fool's joke, you nailed me as a sucker. LOL)

No joke as you probably remember it.  When it bit the dust, we suffered through another type of parade with a vegetable theme and galley staff beating pans, etc.  I don't recall any special "last night at sea" dinner activity on my recent HAL cruises.  If my Baked Alaska cannot be "flamed" at my table, I don't want it.  It's current substitute is a poor substitute for the "real deal".

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Tell us about the Dutch Fair, please.  Before my time, but sounds good!  

This was held on Dutch Night in the MDR.  Rotterdam V, 1971:  The event was held in the Club Room and the foyer outside of it.  The decor theme was of Holland.  Various games (don't recall what) were in the Club Room, music, I recall a small vehicle type of a music machine, kind of like a juke box on wheels, and Captain Lagaay was "out and about" and willing to have his picture taken with guests.  It was festive.  Since I had first sailed on Rotterdam one year earlier, this event stands out in my mind because it was not something that I experienced in 1970.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

No joke as you probably remember it.  When it bit the dust, we suffered through another type of parade with a vegetable theme and galley staff beating pans, etc.  I don't recall any special "last night at sea" dinner activity on my recent HAL cruises.  If my Baked Alaska cannot be "flamed" at my table, I don't want it.  It's current substitute is a poor substitute for the "real deal".

Ugh, the "Master Chef Dinner," with the waiters juggling rolls and veg. It went on FOREVER. We always escaped to the Pinnacle on the last night because of it. I doubt there will be requests to bring that back. But I'd like to see the Dutch night come back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

This was held on Dutch Night in the MDR.  Rotterdam V, 1971:  The event was held in the Club Room and the foyer outside of it.  The decor theme was of Holland.  Various games (don't recall what) were in the Club Room, music, I recall a small vehicle type of a music machine, kind of like a juke box on wheels, and Captain Lagaay was "out and about" and willing to have his picture taken with guests.  It was festive.  Since I had first sailed on Rotterdam one year earlier, this event stands out in my mind because it was not something that I experienced in 1970.  

Sound quite elegant.  Thanks for the description!

10 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for bringing some lightheartedness to the board again, Louis 😄🤣

I haven’t heard anyone say “why should I pay HSC?  I take care of MY people with cash” in a while 😉 😇😏

We pay the HSC and also take care of our stewards with more $$$ to this day 🤑

Trays in the lido...

Complimentary cappuccino in the mdr after dinner...

Heck, a good ole fashioned "dress code" row..ahem... I mean discussion right about now replete with torn jeans, ball caps, and t-shirts with Senor Frog logos on them would be welcome. I'd even supply the salted and buttered popcorn. 😁

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I just looked. More than a month and NO posts on the smoking thread. Didn't think that would ever happen!!!

Does anyone know how to find the infamous "may I take a blender onboard" thread? 

Or the ever-popular "Bless your heart" thread?

Or our oft quoted thread, “The Westerdam Captain Waits for No One.”

I really miss listening to Adagio in the Explorer Lounge (on the R-class and S-class ships) and waiting for the Yum Yum Man to chime us in for late fixed dinner seating.

And I really like that Louie started this thread 'cause we are all HAL folks here.  Some of the other threads are being invaded by snarky folks who have never EVER posted on the HAL boards until the latest Z and R crisis.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Trays in the lido...

Complimentary cappuccino in the mdr after dinner...

Heck, a good ole fashioned "dress code" row..ahem... I mean discussion right about now replete with torn jeans, ball caps, and t-shirts with Senor Frog logos on them would be welcome. I'd even supply the salted and buttered popcorn. 😁

popcorn.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Av8rix said:

Some of the other threads are being invaded by snarky folks who have never EVER posted on the HAL boards until the latest Z and R crisis.

You noticed that too?  And from what I could see when I searched a few of their posts, they not only don’t post on the HAL boards, they don’t sail on HAL.  Sheesh.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Av8rix said:

I really miss listening to Adagio in the Explorer Lounge (on the R-class and S-class ships) and waiting for the Yum Yum Man to chime us in for late fixed dinner seating.

Loved Adagio.  I was lucky that my last couple of cruises were on the Rotterdam and Prinsendam where Adagio still bloomed 🙂.  Both ships had excellent performers 🙂 

And both of them had the Yum Yum man to chime us in.  I’m going to miss that down the road 😞 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kazu said:

Loved Adagio.  I was lucky that my last couple of cruises were on the Rotterdam and Prinsendam where Adagio still bloomed 🙂.  Both ships had excellent performers 🙂 

And both of them had the Yum Yum man to chime us in.  I’m going to miss that down the road 😞 

You have to try a ship with Lincoln Center. I've seen three different groups and they all are amazing musicians. 

Edited to add I just got this link in my email. Enjoy a bit of the good "new" days!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

5 hours ago, Av8rix said:

And I really like that Louie started this thread 'cause we are all HAL folks here.  Some of the other threads are being invaded by snarky folks who have never EVER posted on the HAL boards until the latest Z and R crisis.

Yes, and some have never posted period. Makes you wonder. Anti-cruise ship sentiment is running high in the media now so some could just be here looking to stir up trouble. 

19 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Sound quite elegant. 

Dutch Night was actually a smart casual night, not a formal night. 

3 hours ago, kazu said:

the Yum Yum man to chime us in.  I’m going to miss that down the road 😞 

No Yum Yum Man period.  The ginger, mints, etc. are usually still available outside the MDR doors (if the bowls are not empty), but no Yum Yum Man to offer them and ask you to "Have a good night."

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

You have to try a ship with Lincoln Center. I've seen three different groups and they all are amazing musicians. 

Yes, the performers that I have experienced on Nieuw Statendam, Volendam, and Westerdam were excellent musicians.  

Personally, I preferred the Rolling Stone Rock Room on Nieuw Statendam and Billboard Onboard on all of the ships.  (The one failing of NS's Rock Room group was that their playlist was not long; it did become repetitive.  But, this was in January, 2019.  Maybe different now?)

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Harkening back to the good old days, and to lift the mood, I'm reading P.G. Wodehouse, Three Men and a Maid.   They're on a transatlantic cruise and eleven o'clock soup was just served on the promenade deck.

Recommend.   😊

I love Wodehouse! I hadn't heard of that one. Must look for it. He's an author who can make me laugh out loud.

I have fond memories of "elevenses" on Sundeck on QE2. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder