Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Happy anniversary, youngsters.

Happy birthday to your husband .I see that we share January celebrations.

Thank you, Lenny. Happy [early] 55 anniversary to you and Toby.🌺

2 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

From me also

Thank you, Marietta 🌹

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Beautiful pictures, Dani.  I love Marinas...I love seeing all of the beautiful boats there.  We have several Marinas in the town we live in.

So good that you and DH were able to get out and about!  How are DS1 and grandsons doing?  Still having to quarantine?

Beautiful pictures, aussie!  We were under Tsunami Watch while our ship was docked in Oahu years ago.  Scary!

We had pouring rain and very windy here this morning;  we had Tornado Warnings all morning.  We did need the rain, though!

I hope your day was lovely, Graham!

Ooph!  Stay warm, OB!

That looks wonderful, Dani!  I just made myself some comfort food this afternoon.  I love rice when I want some comfort food.

What a wonderful two weeks you had cruising!  Safe travels, Mark.  Thank you again for taking us along.  Your many, many pictures have all been awesome!

Our daughter Melanie lived in Melbourne around 18 years ago.  We loved visiting her there.  Pretty little town.

Thank you Maryann.

We went to church this morning then had lunch overlooking the beach looking out to sea.

Graham.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you for asking, Maryann.

Yes, the grandsons are still quarantine. They'll be set "free" tomorrow (Monday), and can get back Tuesday.

DS2 and DDIL are not in quarantine, since they're 3X vaccinated, but someone has to be with the kids. Half the population is in quarantine, and there is mounting pressure to shorten it from 7 days to 5 days for those who are not sick, asymptomatic and were just "in the vicinity" of a sick person. Too late NOW for the grandsons, but... who knows... next week, when another person will be sick... it can come handy.

The little one actually isn't going back to the kindergarten on Tuesday. If he's negative tomorrow, he'll undergone a minor ear surgery called "buttons". It is under general anesthesia, and, believe me, I'll prefer to see myself Wednesday and the little one -- after the procedure....

Maryann !!

You took note !!! How kind of you and how thoughtful ... Very touching, believe me, and I can't thank you enough.

As you can understand from the above, no celebrations, nothing, we're just waiting to be after the surgery. May be will order some take away, and will properly celebrate with the "kids" and grandsons when things will get more "normal"....

Sending you Happy Anniversary wishes Dani and happy Birthday wishes for your DH.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211124_174046.jpg

CF584717-26A5-44A4-97D1-8B0594A9F898.gif.4dead2d84240e63b1802ba524077b0af.gif

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

@firefly333 Hey Jane question? Looking to book hotel in Galveston for our October cruise. I know we had some conversations about places to stay. Did you recommend The Beachfront Palms to stay? They had cruise parking for the week correct? Any others you like ?

Quality inn next door is owned by the same people and I'm with Bonnie I think a little preferred. Smaller hotel and the rooms have balconys. Supposedly you can use either doesnt matter which you booked, inside or outside pool. Tbh we were happy at the supper 8 caty corner. A bulb burned out and they were right on it. La quinta more in the middle of the action but I had some issues, dirty floor, bugs at 3 am and the ac went out. And would have liked a elevator because of my luggage. But super 8 no elevator. Ask treeskier, he did hilton along there and said it smelled funny. It would really depend on prices which I'd pick but cant go wrong with quality inn. And i liked beachfront palms but faced the back parking lot, so not worth extra. I'm going to try a couple of hotels off seawall and compare in jan and may. Someone said they booked motel 6 and they had free parking but i promised myself never again. I was charged a extra $7 for wifi which didnt work hardly for more than 15 minutes. It was a no for me again. Lol I have slept about everywhere ha. Quality inn was my favorite like bonnie. Because of how the bldg is. But others were fine for one night or two. 

Almost every hotel has free cruise parking ... no shuttle. Uber cant get into the port, Lyft can but charges a extra $5. I plan on uber and walk into the port on foot.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you, Lenny. Happy [early] 55 anniversary to you and Toby.🌺

Thank you, Marietta 🌹

Happy anniversary to you ... and also to lenny if I'm reading this right.

Hope they deliver some special dinner or you can enjoy.

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sending you Happy Anniversary wishes Dani and happy Birthday wishes for your DH.

Graham.

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Happy anniversary to you ... and also to Lenny if I'm reading this right.

Hope they deliver some special dinner or you can enjoy.

Thank you, Graham and Jane, for your lovely anniversary and birthday wishes.💐

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We are expecting a huge storm later today,either snow or rain with very heavy winds.There is a flood watch in our town since we have several water bodies and are very close to the Atlantic Ocean.

Wishing you Happy Anniversary wishes Lenny.

Screenshot_20211124_173232.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Quality inn next door is owned by the same people and I'm with Bonnie I think a little preferred. Smaller hotel and the rooms have balconys. Supposedly you can use either doesnt matter which you booked, inside or outside pool. Tbh we were happy at the supper 8 caty corner. A bulb burned out and they were right on it. La quinta more in the middle of the action but I had some issues, dirty floor, bugs at 3 am and the ac went out. And would have liked a elevator because of my luggage. But super 8 no elevator. Ask treeskier, he did hilton along there and said it smelled funny. It would really depend on prices which I'd pick but cant go wrong with quality inn. And i liked beachfront palms but faced the back parking lot, so not worth extra. I'm going to try a couple of hotels off seawall and compare in jan and may. Someone said they booked motel 6 and they had free parking but i promised myself never again. I was charged a extra $7 for wifi which didnt work hardly for more than 15 minutes. It was a no for me again. Lol I have slept about everywhere ha. Quality inn was my favorite like bonnie. Because of how the bldg is. But others were fine for one night or two. 

Almost every hotel has free cruise parking ... no shuttle. Uber cant get into the port, Lyft can but charges a extra $5. I plan on uber and walk into the port on foot.

Thanks Jane, great information. I will check out Quality Inn on Seawall. Since Uber can't get into port can taxis get in there? How far is the walk? Trying to weigh whether it's better to drive or fly into Houston. Flying is not that much more. Not sure how my knee will be 7 months after knee replacement. I'll be interested in knowing where you stay on your upcoming cruises and how you like them. Again thank you for your valuable information

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 4:42 AM, dani negreanu said:

When we stayed pre-cruise in the HI Old Sydney in the Rocks, we visited an Art Gallery near the cruise terminal. Is that it?

I like Botanical Gardens and the one in Sydney was a joy.

HI? Is that for the Hilton? I need to book a hotel for after our TP cruise in October assuming it goes. The last 2 times we were there we stayed at the Shangri LA in the Rocks, but am thinking of doing something different. They also have some B & B's that look interesting.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:56 AM, aussielozzie18 said:

Hi Dani, No. The museum a short walk from the cruise terminal and your hotel is the MCA, Museum of Contemporary Art.  It has a nice cafe with outdoor terrace on the upper level with views of the Opera House which used to be blocked whenever the cruise ships were docked at the OPT.  They no longer have that issue…,

Ships don't dock at the OPT anymore?

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks Jane, great information. I will check out Quality Inn on Seawall. Since Uber can't get into port can taxis get in there? How far is the walk? Trying to weigh whether it's better to drive or fly into Houston. Flying is not that much more. Not sure how my knee will be 7 months after knee replacement. I'll be interested in knowing where you stay on your upcoming cruises and how you like them. Again thank you for your valuable information

You cannot walk from seawall, it's about 3 miles. Uber drops you on or near harborside. Have to cross the street and cross the port. About 6 lanes of traffic on harborside, idk at least 4 and all trying to get into the port to drop off pax, and go park. Marty would be a excellent person to ask, he is good at that stuff. @seatoshiningsea. We dropped her off with the luggage and me and marty parked the car and walked back. He was the directions person. Cars are zooming thru there. There used to a a policeman standing there helping people cross. 

Yes Galveston taxis can get in. Houston ones arent supposed to. Lol I did taxis in oct and a houston driver trying to steal business had my taxi driver wound up. Lol and a woman was before me to hobby who didnt want to pay the full fare, trying to find someone to share the fare, he said was wrong. Hahaha. It was about $20 by taxi almost plus tip. About 3 miles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

The little one actually isn't going back to the kindergarten on Tuesday. If he's negative tomorrow, he'll undergone a minor ear surgery called "buttons". It is under general anesthesia, and, believe me, I'll prefer to see myself Wednesday and the little one -- after the procedure....

You took note !!! 

Here in the US, they call it "tubes" that they put in the little ones' ears.

Dani, I have a great teacher!🥰😘🤗

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

HI? Is that for the Hilton? I need to book a hotel for after our TP cruise in October assuming it goes. The last 2 times we were there we stayed at the Shangri LA in the Rocks, but am thinking of doing something different. 

HI stands for Holiday Inn Old Sydney in the Rocks, which now is called Rydges. It's a mere 5 mins WALK from the OPT. We found the staff, accommodation (modest but very clean) and location excellent.

https://www.rydges.com/accommodation/sydney-nsw/sydney-harbour/

4 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I think that she meant that when ships were docked at OPOT, they hided the Opera House from the coffee shop at the Museum.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You cannot walk from seawall, it's about 3 miles. Uber drops you on or near harborside. Have to cross the street and cross the port. About 6 lanes of traffic on harborside, idk at least 4 and all trying to get into the port to drop off pax, and go park. Marty would be a excellent person to ask, he is good at that stuff. @seatoshiningsea. We dropped her off with the luggage and me and marty parked the car and walked back. He was the directions person. Cars are zooming thru there. There used to a a policeman standing there helping people cross. 

Yes Galveston taxis can get in. Houston ones arent supposed to. Lol I did taxis in oct and a houston driver trying to steal business had my taxi driver wound up. Lol and a woman was before me to hobby who didnt want to pay the full fare, trying to find someone to share the fare, he said was wrong. Hahaha. It was about $20 by taxi almost plus tip. About 3 miles.

Thanks Jane, I don't mind getting a taxi for $20 just to be able to be dropped off in front of the terminal. Looked at prices on hotels. Beachfront Palms was $192 and Hampton $293 both with taxes and fess added. I'm surprised Hampton was so much more. Both with two queens Pams with pool view and Hampton with partial ocean. What do you think?

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks Jane, I don't mind getting a taxi for $20 just to be able to be dropped off in front of the terminal. Looked at prices on hotels. Beachfront Palms was $192 and Hampton $293 both with taxes and fess added. I'm surprised Hampton was so much more. Both with two queens Pams with pool view and Hampton with partial ocean. What do you think?

Beachfront the rooms to me were small, but across from same ocean and I liked the beds. Hampton used to have a shuttle.

I think the taxi was $18.76 but I rounded up when I said almost $20. I heard uber $12. 

Yes dani, @FromSeaToShiningSeamarty or helen could give you their view of traffic to cross the street to the port. Everyone is in a hurry. If your leg is bad, pay for the taxi.

Quality inn would also have the partial view. ..Hampton inn is more toward the action. ..the closer to pleasure pier the more the hotel will cost generally.

Gaidos is a favorite .. how is the price there. People love it and go there year after year. I read the breakfast is homemade and very good. Right in the center of the action. Check guidos hotel price too. But dont eat there ...eat next door. That's the $100 a plate dinner place with fresh fish. A landmark restaurant. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I wasn’t going to say anything however since you’ve been extra kind with your advice about my husband’s knees so here is my 2 cents worth.  I’m extra fussy about hotels and they have to measure up to my standards which are clean , clean and clean .  I would check Travel Weekly , it is a reference for TA ,  AAA for objective reviews and Trivago for general ratings. Travel Advisor is more subjective . It doesn’t hurt to check it , too.  I would never stay in a sub par hotel to save money.   

Have you considered having both knees treated at the same time ?  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

HI? Is that for the Hilton? I need to book a hotel for after our TP cruise in October assuming it goes. The last 2 times we were there we stayed at the Shangri LA in the Rocks, but am thinking of doing something different. They also have some B & B's that look interesting.

They do but we haven’t had any cruise ships in Sydney since the start of the pandemic so it has remained empty.  It’s not looking promising for cruising to restart here this year.  Small operators are cruising off WA and QLD but major cruise lines like Carnival Australia and P & O Australia have not resumed operations and no indication yet of when they will.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, h20skibum said:

DC61684D-79C0-4974-A9B9-D7C1E2EFA728.thumb.jpeg.b90de68081cf8b2deda7385727e95804.jpeg

Out of the garage at 7:52, and we are on the road, in the rain, and as far north as Melbourne.  Time to plan how best to avoid Izzy on the way home. Only about a 1,000 mile drive from here. 

I love this picture of the BW!

Thank you for taking us along. Have safe drive home.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

What a great day of football yesterday.  My adopted team, the Cincinnati Bengals, won the first game of the day.  Then the Buffalo Bills destroyed the New England Patriots last night.  If everything goes the way I hope next weekend, I could get the Bengals at the Bills for the AFC Championship in 2 weeks.  One game at a time though.

Ouch.  But I’m not really upset, the Pats didn’t deserve to win.  Buffalo looked great. 

9 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Comfort food on a cold rainy day... DH made a very rich vegetable soup, to go with my instant couscous 😁 Bliss. Saying "thanks" for those little things.

Looks delicious Dani.  I love couscous and often make it topped with oven roasted veggies and a little feta cheese. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

@dani negreanu   WISHING YOU AND YOUR DH A HAPPY ANNIVERSARY 🌹🌹
                                                AND A HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR DH!!!!!🎈🎈

JANUARY 17, 2022

MAZEL TOV!!!!

From me too, Dani!

And best of luck to the gs. Hugs.

The couscous looks delicious. I will try making it.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Dani, Happy Anniversary to you and your DH and a Happy Birthday to him as well!  Also prayers for a successful procedure for your grandson. Hopefully you can all celebrate together soon.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1