Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

You win Cruise Critic today (yesterday).  Or at least you would have won if I had listened to you.  That was exactly our problem.  For those who don't understand what @Vibe is talking about, the air handling unit (the blower that moves air throughout the house where your air filter is located) has a drain line to keep condensation out of the system.  If the drain line gets plugged, condensation will back up in the line.  There's a little chamber near the top of the drain line with a float switch in it.  If condensation backs up enough to cause the float switch to rise, it sends a signal to shut off the system so that you aren't blowing condensate through your ductwork.  When the switch gets tripped, there will be no power on the Rc wire at the thermostat.  When the condensation slowly drains, the float eventually drops and the system turns on again. 

As @Vibe said, my A/C guy hooked up a shop vac to the end of the drain line to suck out the water and the slime/gunk in the line that was causing it to drain slowly.  It was clogged enough that he had to also blast the line with compressed air on the other end to push to clog through.  We are no set up for twice a year service checks which include cleaning the condensation drain.  Costs us $165/year for two system checks/cleanings per year.  Good peace of mind.

We add either bleach or ammonia to some water and flush it out once a month.

Should be a pipe with a removeable cap

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Nothing better than Springfield cashew chicken.

All of the originals are gone.  The closest to the original is Leong’s Asian Diner, which has a son of David Leong cooking it.  It is good, but not as good as dads and way short of uncle Gee’s best.  Gee’s East Wind set the standard.  Really cool old building.  When Gee closed, it could have been fixed up and been cool, instead they knocked it down and built a disco, that went bankrupt within a few months.  

I had it for lunch today at a crappy drive up restaurant run by a nice Vietnamese family.  John and I have had this discussion a few times here.  

JC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I was going to do it when my previous tank heater failed but I had not done any research at the time and needed a replacement fast so put in another tank. But if (when) this one goes I will most likely make the conversion.

Venting can be an issue, it works best if you have direct access to an exterior wall.  

JC

2 hours ago, George C said:

Same here , and cost to install was going to be a few thousand more. 

So, the units cost about $1000 more than a standard 50 gallon tank.  Installation is pretty simple if you have an exterior wall.  We didn’t, so I put the unit in our crawl space under the house.  We don’t have a basement but do have a 5 foot crawl space.  

2 hours ago, ATG said:

Where we live in the country, we don’t have access to natural gas.  Does anyone have experience with the electric tankless ones?  Our house (and the water heater) is 13 years old.  Luckily in the basement with a drain.  I also got an alarm that blares if it detects water.

I think the only tankless electric units are point of use units.  Usually for a sink, not for whole house.  So, LP is the option for those not on Natural Gas.

13 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, the units cost about $1000 more than a standard 50 gallon tank.  Installation is pretty simple if you have an exterior wall.  We didn’t, so I put the unit in our crawl space under the house.  We don’t have a basement but do have a 5 foot crawl space.  

We had a home in Atlanta with a 12' deep basement on top of an 8 foot deep crawlspace. The finished basement had floor registers.

Main floor was 20' above the back yard🤯

23 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

All of the originals are gone.  The closest to the original is Leong’s Asian Diner, which has a son of David Leong cooking it.  It is good, but not as good as dads and way short of uncle Gee’s best.  Gee’s East Wind set the standard.  Really cool old building.  When Gee closed, it could have been fixed up and been cool, instead they knocked it down and built a disco, that went bankrupt within a few months.  

I had it for lunch today at a crappy drive up restaurant run by a nice Vietnamese family.  John and I have had this discussion a few times here.  

JC

Gee's East Wind and Chinese Chef were my favorites when I lived there in the early 1980's. You could find a restaurant on just about every corner. That fried chicken in a brown sauce over rice was to die for.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Guess who may be watching this from Independence 😉

Screenshot_20220615-161127_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b7bdb93cc21c8bf7acdd70d61ce6dc99.jpg

I have been ignoring your starlink obsession mostly for a couple of years now, but am considering buying the service for the future Airstream.  I will have to look and see if the batch of satellites will fly over us this weekend at the lake.  Seeing them chase each other is really unique.  I didn’t realize what I was seeing the first time I saw this.  We love sitting on the boat watching for satellites around dark time in the evenings.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I have been ignoring your starlink obsession mostly for a couple of years now, but am considering buying the service for the future Airstream.  I will have to look and see if the batch of satellites will fly over us this weekend at the lake.  Seeing them chase each other is really unique.  I didn’t realize what I was seeing the first time I saw this.  We love sitting on the boat watching for satellites around dark time in the evenings.  

You should see the obsession on the World Cruise FB site. It's almost 25% done. Who knows.

Here's a fun tracker. The straight lines are the ones headed to their final location

https://satellitemap.space/

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I thought they were real.   They are adorable.  I have always loved bunny rabbits😍

We have bunnies that we occasionally see in our back and front yard.😊  In Naples, we enjoy watching two bunnies playing behind our building almost daily.😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

Venting can be an issue, it works best if you have direct access to an exterior wall.  

JC

Present water tank is next to foundation wall but about 6 feet of it is underground. Present tank and furnace vent straight up though 2 floors and attic to chimney on roof.

22 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

What do you folks do for storage?

I've never had a basement. I learned from my mom to get rid of stuff if you don't use it so if it doesn't fit in the garage or a closet we don't keep it. We do have an attic but have never used it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Present water tank is next to foundation wall but about 6 feet of it is underground. Present tank and furnace vent straight up though 2 floors and attic to chimney on roof.

I don’t think a tankless heater can use a vent used by another appliance.  That is why they usually direct vent them in retrofit jobs.

caveat.  I think. 

JC

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So the water comsumed by your bad toilet became the water company's expense instead of yours. Typically issues past the water meter are your problem including the wasted water.

We had a leak under the slab. The water company found it and was also nice enough to give a small discount.

• Like 2