Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

49 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Debbie, we  on Staten Island are not too happy with this.

What'd I miss?  What aren't we happy about on SI?

Crappy drivers?  Bike lanes?  Toll increases?  Everyday a new stop sign?  Too many cameras?

Sanitation takes too long to plow the snow?  Too many businesses going out of business?  
Too many nail salons?  Food prices?  StupidFresh going out of business in GK's?  
Do tell.  lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

We are in Portland, Maine today.  Sunny and mild, cool in the shade.  We toured on an antique fire truck today, and enjoyed our lobstuh roll and delicious chowder today.😊

The weather is still bad on the RI coast. Dreary, damp, windy, and cold.

39 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I saw a news story about that a couple days ago.

In 2017, FEMA chartered the 1,500 passenger Grand Celebration, owned by the Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line, at a cost of $25,700,000 for 90 days. (That works out to around $286,000 per day.)

In 2005, FEMA chartered three Carnival Cruise Line ships (Ecstasy, Sensation, and Holiday) after Hurricane Katrina for six months at a cost of $192 million, plus an additional $44 million in fuel expenses.

I assume they would looking at much higher costs for the ship in the current environment.  Even using the 2017 figure, if they housed 1,500, that works out to $190/day per person.  That’s like giving them almost $70,000 per person if you consider a year’s cost.  That just seems like an excessive amount to me, and surely they can find something for less. 

Maybe the mayor should contact India. They have a bunch of ships hanging around.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

I am currently sitting in LAX waiting on my flight to Venice, Italy.  I’m spending five nights there, then boarding Brilliance OTS for Greece, Croatia, Italy and ending with the TA to Tampa.  

Sounds a really "bucket list" trip. Amazing itinerary. Sad the cruises are not leaving from Venice anymore, though I fully understand the reasons.

We like Venice very much, just booked a few days stay during the Carnival there. Starting the golden wedding anniversary/ies year. DH wanted to go "big" and suggested the see an opera.

I immediately started researching the best seats, when he turns to me and asks: "how many hours the Barber of Seville runs????" 😕 I check and reply: "3 hours"....                          No opera for us 🤪

We'll settle for a tour of the opera building (45 mins, La Fenice).

• Like 12

1 hour ago, taznremmy said:

I (almost) feel guilty posting this, with all of the talk of Ian’s destruction.

I am currently sitting in LAX waiting on my flight to Venice, Italy.  I’m spending five nights there, then boarding Brilliance OTS for Greece, Croatia, Italy and ending with the TA to Tampa.  
Bucket list trip that was moved from 2020 , and again from 2021.

@Sea DogI plan to try most of the cocktails you mentioned in your review. 🍹

Stay well and safe everyone!

Have a great time!!!!!  We cruised on Brilliance on our 1st Mediterranean cruise back in 2011.

Bon Voyage!🛳️

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Sorry to hear this Lenny.  You seem to be doing well considering.

+1. I totally agree @Lenquixote66

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 1:02 PM, mo&fran said:

We we also booked the week after the B2B, but Atlantis chartered it, so we have aa few more weeks.

I almost booked that one, but didn’t. Decided to book the Odyssey February 11th where we will hit 700.

• Like 6

On 10/1/2022 at 6:32 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

We had a very strange visit with Eric's Mother today.   Our Son came to with his Fiance Donna to let us know due to drama with her family they have decided they are going to have a simple wedding by the Justice of Peace and the courthouse and set the date of November 15th.

We will all then out to dinner.   Restaurant to be determined.

Chris wanted to let his Grandmother know so we drove over to her house, after calling to say we would be over.

She hasn't seen Chris since July or August.   She simply says Hi, come in.  Never hugs or kisses anyone.   We follow her to the family room where she has the TV blaring.   I turn off the TV so we could all chat and visit.  She is upset I did this.

Chris proceeds to tell her and first words out of her mouth are, " is she pregnant"   they have been engaged for just about 2 yrs.

She then grabs the remote and puts her TV back on, blaring.

Now at this point, Eric is fuming.  He shuts off the TV and says wouldn't you like to visit with your family.   She says, "Why.

It doesn't matter I will be dead soon."

She has been saying this her whole life!! 

poor Donna not knowing how to react gets up and leaves the room.   

We all left with her sitting in her chair watching Alfred Hithcock.

Ugghhh!

Never understood this woman and never want to.   She has been cold blooded, nasty to everyone her whole life.  So sad the children don't have a loving grandmother.  

Thank you for letting me vent.   Time for a cocktail, maybe some Kraken.

All they need is a wedding celebrated with the people that love them and wish them a happy life together. 
And they don’t need to invite anyone that isn’t 100% invested in their joyful day. 
I hope they have that warm, loving wedding and a bright, beautiful future. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I almost booked that one, but didn’t. Decided to book the Odyssey February 11th where we will hit 700.

Congrats. But then we will be in two different C&A levels. I hope you can stilll talk to a D+.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 9/23/2022 at 3:40 PM, singinalot said:

we're booking a cruise! Finally!  If only Royal's website would work this morning...

I have a 4 day weekend in October so we've decided to bite the bullet and do a short cruise out of Miami.  Our first since January 2020. Can't wait.

Me too.  I booked one (a NCL because they were on sale) for May next year.   It is only 5 nights but it is a cruise.  As I retired at the end of August I thought that I should live like a pensioner and have booked an inside.  I really am happy about it.  Never been in an inside before but I think that I will be happy.   

We will be going from Trieste in Italy which is one of the alternative ports to Venice.  Since the accident in 2019 and lockdown, cruiseliners are not welcome in Venice.  We are going to some Croatian ports that had not been on my radar at all.  So excited to be planning again.  

Coming back to post I have seen the comments about Hurricane Ian.  It is horrible to see how much some people have lost.   So sad.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That's great to hear the weather has improved, still crappy cold and rainy here.     Did Hubby enjoy the antique fire trucks?      Lobstuh roll - yummy!    I hope to get one when I go to LBI in near future.  

Yes he did, Debbie, thank you!

Where do you get your lobstuh roll in LBI?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Sounds a really "bucket list" trip. Amazing itinerary. Sad the cruises are not leaving from Venice anymore, though I fully understand the reasons.

We like Venice very much, just booked a few days stay during the Carnival there. Starting the golden wedding anniversary/ies year. DH wanted to go "big" and suggested the see an opera.

I immediately started researching the best seats, when he turns to me and asks: "how many hours the Barber of Seville runs????" 😕 I check and reply: "3 hours"....                          No opera for us 🤪

We'll settle for a tour of the opera building (45 mins, La Fenice).

Dani, I agree with you about the cruises leaving from Venice.  I was on one of the very last ones.  I was so excited to be doing it although we left at about 10 pm.  They were letting ships go very slowly.  We ended up missing Kotor as a result so I was a bit sad.  There are worse things than an extra day at sea though.  

I had a conversation with a cruise consultant today about this very topic.  He says that the Venetian authorities want to encourage cruisers back so next year they will be doing some tenders.  It must be nice to have the place quieter, but I understand them wanting revenue.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

The weather is still bad on the RI coast. Dreary, damp, windy, and cold.

I hate that weather 

On another note, our granddaughter Ava is looking into possibly attending URI next year 😃

23 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Started raining just in time for tonight's JV football game. This day just can't get any better.😐

Oh no!  No fun playing/watching in the rain.

3 hours ago, taznremmy said:

This sounds great.   Hope you have a safe and fun trip.   I am looking forward to hearing how it goes.  I am wanting to start trying some overseas cruises or a TA but want to hear from someone I know to hear how it is now.  

Have fune!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The reason I don't do live reviews is because I don't do anything exciting. 

My FB posts the last couple days are just pics of my view from my Solarium Lounger,  my virgin peach daiquiri, or Lahar, the extraordinary bartender at the Explorer Solarium bar who remembered my order from back in May as soon as he saw me!

310300244_10158958458141905_6554294354559172756_n.thumb.jpg.9ab4e7264867b72b41ebd32f47071836.jpg

310176685_10158957127421905_4508941409892881960_n.thumb.jpg.fd32bf4aae6e1d7fc0430bdc293e5fe5.jpg

310050041_10158955271596905_7787610679730988276_n.thumb.jpg.7afd71c748571d6847df6f24d9e87da4.jpg

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, brillohead said:

The reason I don't do live reviews is because I don't do anything exciting. 

My FB posts the last couple days are just pics of my view from my Solarium Lounger,  my virgin peach daiquiri, or Lahar, the extraordinary bartender at the Explorer Solarium bar who remembered my order from back in May as soon as he saw me!

310300244_10158958458141905_6554294354559172756_n.thumb.jpg.9ab4e7264867b72b41ebd32f47071836.jpg

310176685_10158957127421905_4508941409892881960_n.thumb.jpg.fd32bf4aae6e1d7fc0430bdc293e5fe5.jpg

310050041_10158955271596905_7787610679730988276_n.thumb.jpg.7afd71c748571d6847df6f24d9e87da4.jpg

That is our go to drink now. It used to be a Miami  Vice but we are hooked on the Peach so much now that we often make them at home. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mrs. H. said:

What'd I miss?  What aren't we happy about on SI?

Crappy drivers?  Bike lanes?  Toll increases?  Everyday a new stop sign?  Too many cameras?

Sanitation takes too long to plow the snow?  Too many businesses going out of business?  
Too many nail salons?  Food prices?  StupidFresh going out of business in GK's?  
Do tell.  lol

May be an image of map and text that says '10 OF THE HOTTEST RESTAURANTS ABOUT TO OPEN ON STATEN ISLAND Whiskey Hideaway and Billiard Hideaway Adobe Blues Asian Foods KpoT TOI "Ogi TOI Farrington's Brooklyn Dumpling Shop Mello Bistro Restaurant 286 South Catering Hall Waterside Cyprus Hall Social Haus On A Roll silive.com'

4 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

It really is a horrible disease.  It takes its toll on all the family members.  Charlie’s brother-in-law refuses to put her in a nursing home.

I think I have shared this here before but not sure.  We had a friend who was diagnosed with Alzheimers in his mid 50s.  He did have a family history, but also worked on the pile in NY for many weeks after 9/11.  The first few years you noticed a small decline, but it quickly accelerated after that.  By the time he was 60 he needed help to do many things such as shower and eat.  His wife said it was like having a newborn.  She kept him home as long as she could but when his mobility was impacted she did put him in a home.  We lost him last year at the age of 65.  It truly is a horrible disease.

3 hours ago, taznremmy said:

No reason to feel guilty, enjoy your wonderful trip.  Looking forward to hearing about it.  So exciting!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1