Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

95 today with 65% humidity here in NJ.  Living in the Dallas area I'd forgotten about such high uncomfy humidity.  Seems like most back East are experiencing less than ideal weather. Grands don't mind the heat and bike all over the property, grandson to his friend's house. Really way to hot to do anything outdoors, for me and Jack anyway.

@lenquixote66 Lenny enjoy your family gathering and congrats on your granddaughter's teen birthday.

We'll be here for another 2 weeks. Time is really going quickly so we want to enjoy being with our family as much as possible.

Not sure I mentioned this but we met with our very good friends of 42 years for a 3-hour lunch yesterday.  We had a lot to catch up on and in-person is the best way.  They just sold their house in Rockland County and are relocating to Delray in FL which means we won't see them on future trips back East. They'll be joining us on Bella's Cruise. Yea!

Chocolate chat, very yummy. Make that more than yummy.

Thanks ,Bonnie.One of my Brooklyn friends who moved to LI relocated permanently to Delray two years ago.He said there are a lot of ex-Brooklynites there.

47 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Crape Mytle is out now, wild flowers are getting tall !

20210812_123607.jpg

20210812_123637.jpg

20210812_123621.jpg

20210812_123654.jpg

20210812_123704.jpg

Beautiful.  I love crape myrtles and wildflowers.💐 I have 4 crape myrtles, one bright pink, one deep dark red/burgundy and 2 small young ones i think called black diamond that have real dark leaves and white flowers.

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Getting on a plane for the first time in more than 1.5 years early tomorrow to fly to Buffalo.  Not looking forward to wearing a mask again for 5 hours but I'll survive.  My nephew is getting married this weekend.  I'll be able to get my fix for wings and beef on weck...the real kind, not the stuff that they serve in the Park Cafes.  I might also need to have a Labatt Blue for my Canadian friends here.  Maybe even an Extra Stock if I can find one.

Congratulations on the forthcoming wedding
I have not been on a plane in nearly 11 years.

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

OK, anyone watching the Yankees Sox game tonight?  This Field of Dreams ball game has me by the heart strings. What a movie.

Last year my car tour would have been 30 miles away from Dyersville Iowa, in June.  I planned on going to the Field of Dreams, and taking it in. In fact you can stay overnight in the house from the movie and it was available when I was to be there.

Unfortunately, Covid messed that all up, but tonight makes me realize that I need to get there and take Lisa and Owen.

Get the Kleenex. 

I watched the video of Kevin Costner meeting the players.I wonder how many of them saw the movie ?

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We watched the hour special before the game.  It was really cool how the teams entered through the corn rows.  I was getting emotion with Kevin Costner's speech.   Eric is watching the game.  I was more interested in the pregame show.

I'm rooting for the Sox to win!

I am rooting for the Sox too.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 12:02 PM, DirtyDawg said:

I really liked the show Bosch on Amazon. I love Michael Connelly books so I had to start watching it when it first came out. 

Just started to re-watch the Americans. Gotta love a Reagan era Soviet spy show. 

I wished they would have continued the series.

So we pulled the trigger today and booked 9/4 Edge cruise.   We did have a trip to Aruba booked for same week but the testing to come back to the US worried me so we got all of our miles, $ and hotel points and will book for next year.  

so we can now say we are going (hopefully) on a cruise next month. 😊😊

• Like 5

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

OOhh, the humidity... I'm practically dripping water. Hot and humid -- that's what you get when living near the beach... 😟

So glad you enjoy your stay (time fly by quickly is the surest parameter) and meeting long time friends is such a huge bonus 🥰.

Is it too long to drive from your house to Delray?

I think it’s about an 18 hour drive from our house to Dallas. I would need to verify that with Mike. Delray would be about 45 minutes less to Dallas.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Last year my car tour would have been 30 miles away from Dyersville Iowa, in June.  I planned on going to the Field of Dreams, and taking it in. In fact you can stay overnight in the house from the movie and it was available when I was to be there.

Sounds like that would have been neat.

We did something like that after a B2B cruises( Pacific Coastal Cruises followed by an Alaska Cruise)

After getting off the ship in Vancouver we rented a car and drove to St. Helens , Oregon and stayed at the "Twilight Swan House for 3 nights.

You can rent the house on AirBnB

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/28942373?source_impression_id=p3_1628820735_EIPFtHL3SclGc4JU

Really neat to have slept in Bella's Room 🙂

We also drove around the different areas where the film was shot. It was an awesome way to end 18  nights on the cruises.

The house went up for sale and a couple bought it(Amber and  Dean)...If I remember right the cost wasn't crazy high either for when they bought the house...........They did a few repairs and when they got it ready to rent, Every month sold out, I'm sure they paid for it in full before Covid hit........I think we were there in 2017...........looks like now because of Covid it's not rentable right now though.

My wife and I still talk about that vacation to this day. Actually she want to go there again someday............She is a huge Twilight fan !!

Then we flew home from Portland , Oregon Airport (PDX)

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, singinalot said:

let’s see…week in the life update…

Nate & I both went to the local AAA and for $34 USD each acquired our international drivers permits. Good for one year. Required for rentals in Greece.

We booked that trip to Puerto Vallarta and are now kind of regretting it. Might switch to Tulum instead.

Had a panic attack moment today…our flight to Greece transits through Brussels and Brussels just announced new restrictions. I made a quick call to the consolation in DC (not kidding) to clarify the transit rules. Luckily, those did not change.

Oddly enough I also heard from our airbnb host in Milos today. I’ve been trying to connect with her for travel promotion/deals :-). Fingers crossed on that.  

Also, to say I’m burnt out at work would be an understatement 🤷‍♀️

I used to pay $10 for those.  Wow.  I have never one time been asked to show my DL or international DL overseas.  I know it would be useful if you were in a place where they don’t speak English, and I have always bought one.  It helps to avoid wrecks.  In France they just use speed cameras (and UK too) and your rental car company sends you a bill.  Was doing 80 in a 70 coming out of the tunnel from Monaco to France in 2018, when I saw the freaking flash.  

Got the bill a few months later.

We had a great trip when I bought the DW a new car we picked up in Sindlefingan near Stuttgart in 2008.  Two seats a micro trunk and 15 days driving in Austria, Switzerland Italy, and Germany.  I remember the last day, I drove for over two hours and the slowest I went was about 120mph.  Love the autobahn.  

We bought her a car in Europe for her 60th too.  It was a Volvo in the winter, we did airplanes and taxis, and let them ship it here.  On the upside, biz class seats and all of our car rides in Sweden and a couple of nights in the hotel with dinner and breakfast were on Volvo and a couple of nights at Tromso, and then they flew us home for free.  Cheap way to buy a car, and a great vacation.  

• Like 3

So, last night, after one of those days at work, I woke up at 2:40AM.  Got up took the puppy outside.  He hadn’t crapped in his crate yet.  So, standing out trying to get him to do that.  I went to the corner of my yard, where I had a view of the North East sky and despite the light pollution saw 2 of the perseids meteor shower.  Woke up officially at 5:30 repeated with a much lighter sky and saw two more.  

I remember being a kid and laying on our boat dock with no light pollution and watching a hundred an hour.  Then I remember being on top of Haleakala on Maui during the Orionid meteor shower at its peak 20 years ago, and being frozen and amazed at all of the falling stars.  

Tiny moments mean so much.

• Like 11