Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

21 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Here is a pic of my garlic bed I took a few days ago.  I spaced them out more this year to every 6 inches. Last year was every 4 inches.  Out of 128 cloves planted it looks like only one did not come up and one is very short.  The rest look very healthy. 

20220307_170354.thumb.jpg.c08670efdb1c2dba10dd5f317ec9cc2a.jpg

Won't they freeze or the frost get them planting this early?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Have any of you recent cruisers made COVID tests in two places and been tested at both?

Because of RCI’s causing mayhem with our cruise, I’m worried about our cruise instead of happily anticipating it. 
I was able to make CVS appointments this morning, and Walgreens should open up next week. 
I’ve read where CVS computers went down, or results didn’t hit it, and would like to get tested in both places. 
Does Medicare cover two tests the same day? Or have any of you tried it?

Sure you can go ahead and make appointments at both places.     If you select yes to one of the questions such as you are taking the test because you were not able to social distance, the test is then free (at least in my area).        If your cruise leaves on Sunday, make an appointment for Friday at one location and make the appt for the other location for Saturday to be safe with any possible issue with Medicare. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sure you can go ahead and make appointments at both places.     If you select yes to one of the questions such as you are taking the test because you were not able to social distance, the test is then free (at least in my area).        If your cruise leaves on Sunday, make an appointment for Friday at one location and make the appt for the other location for Saturday to be safe with any possible issue with Medicare. 

Can't you make them for the same day and cancel one if the first works out?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I was just wondering if it made it's way up there yet so I thought I would check here.  It lasted several hours here.  Still cold here but is forecast to warm up tomorrow.   Packing sounds like a good plan.  

Have you started any seeds yet?  The ones I ordered from a new place are not doing great.  The ones from MIgardener are doing great.  I ordered two new lights and love them.  I need to quit expanding so I can at least break even but like someone said earlier,  we need a hobby to spend money on. 

Yes, we planted peppers the other weekend and a couple days ago we planted our tomato seeds.     My Neighbor who cares for our cats while we are away will come over sometime this week to find out what she needs to do to water our seedlings.    I think she is more nervous about the baby plants then taking care of the cats.    😁

I told her not to worry, if they don't survive we can always plant more when we get home.

I did get seeds from Migardener as well as some Burpee packets I picked up at a local store.    So far everything we have planted is doing well.       

• Like 3

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

I’d love to grow garlic. Tell me all your secrets

You may of asked at the perfect time.  This is my second year if growing garlic. The site I order most my seeds started offering garlic.   Migardener has great videos for all sorts of gardening.  After researching I found Keene Organic.   They have great instructions on how to grow garlic.   Most garlic to plant is sold out in early fall because most garlic is planted in the fall.  I just went to that site and noticed for the first time they are now selling spring garlic to harvest in the fall.  I am not up on spring planting garlic but here is a link to their instructions. 

https://keeneorganics.com/blog/how-to-plant-spring-garlic/

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Won't they freeze or the frost get them planting this early?

To harvest in May most plant mid October.   With being in a warmer zone I put it off a couple weeks.  Garlic needs to go through the cold period.   If you ever had garlic stored in the fridge for awhile then then after taking them out you leave them out on the counter for a few days they will try to go.  A lot of store bought garlic is sprayed to prevent them from growing.  Like potatoes. 

Here is a link to fall garlic planting. 

https://keeneorganics.com/quick-growing-instruction/

There is more detailed instructions on the site.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I gave our insurance info to CVS, but did answer yes to that one question. 
I thought about trying to get an early Saturday appointment at Walgreens. 
We’ll leave home around noon to drive to Titusville for the night. 
We’re less than 3 hours from the port, but I never drive it on sailing day. 
95 is too prone to back ups. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, mafig said:

Can't you make them for the same day and cancel one if the first works out?

Yes. Can’t do Walgreens yet. Still too early. 
I just don’t know if Medicare would cover both if a claim for reimbursement is made by both providers. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, we planted peppers the other weekend and a couple days ago we planted our tomato seeds.     My Neighbor who cares for our cats while we are away will come over sometime this week to find out what she needs to do to water our seedlings.    I think she is more nervous about the baby plants then taking care of the cats.    😁

I told her not to worry, if they don't survive we can always plant more when we get home.

I did get seeds from Migardener as well as some Burpee packets I picked up at a local store.    So far everything we have planted is doing well.       

I hope I am not repeating a reply but I don't see it.  I am happy the MIgardener seeds worked.  I would hate to recommend and it not work.  Have you heard any of his videos?   His motto is , Grow big or go home.  He likes to utilize all available space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I hope I am not repeating a reply but I don't see it.  I am happy the MIgardener seeds worked.  I would hate to recommend and it not work.  Have you heard any of his videos?   His motto is , Grow big or go home.  He likes to utilize all available space.

Yes, I did enjoy some videos.  I did watch some videos and read up on that garden method, forget the name right now, but I will definitely try that this year.  The one where you make center row and fill with straw, leaves, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, singinalot said:

I’d love to grow garlic. Tell me all your secrets

So I was curious what the difference would be.  Garlic needs to go through a cold period.  When planted in the fall you plant several weeks before the first freeze for the roots to develop.  If you plant in the spring you need cold vernalized bulbs or bulbs held in cold storage at about 40 degrees for 40 days.  I don’t know when it would be ready for harvest. What I like about planting in the fall and harvesting in late May is it opens up space to grow more.

There are hardneck and softneck garlic.  What I like about hardneck is that they develop scapes.  Scapes are so good.  They are like scallions with a mild garlic taste.  
I bet you would really enjoy growing them and even more harvesting.  Once you plant them they are low maintenance.

15 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, I did enjoy some videos.  I did watch some videos and read up on that garden method, forget the name right now, but I will definitely try that this year.  The one where you make center row and fill with straw, leaves, etc.

It’s called core gardening.  You will love it.  It sure cuts down on the need to water the garden.

• Like 1

Are covid test required for domestic flights?  We booked flights to NJ and only saw posted protocol info about testing for passengers entering the USA. TIA.

I wish we were driving again, but Jack says his long distance driving days are over. BTW we booked our flights 10 days ago and the rates have since doubled in price!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

It’s called core gardening.  You will love it.  It sure cuts down on the need to water the garden.

Today I made meatballs and sausage with one of the homemade tomato sauce bags from freezer.  Realized i only have 3 more bags left.  I hope this year is another good one for tomatoes.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Have any of you recent cruisers made COVID tests in two places and been tested at both?

Because of RCI’s causing mayhem with our cruise, I’m worried about our cruise instead of happily anticipating it. 
I was able to make CVS appointments this morning, and Walgreens should open up next week. 
I’ve read where CVS computers went down, or results didn’t hit it, and would like to get tested in both places. 
Does Medicare cover two tests the same day? Or have any of you tried it?

We have made test appointments for our last 2 cruises, both times CVS in the morning and Walgreens the afternoon of the same day. Both times we had no problem with CVS, got the result about an hour later, and then cancelled the Walgreens appointments.  I can't answer as to whether two tests the same day would be covered. 

And you are correct that you can't make the Walgreens appointment as far ahead as the CVS one. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Are covid test required for domestic flights?  We booked flights to NJ and only saw posted protocol info about testing for passengers entering the USA. TIA.

Nope, no testing required for domestic flights.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Today I made meatballs and sausage with one of the homemade tomato sauce bags from freezer.  Realized i only have 3 more bags left.  I hope this year is another good one for tomatoes.

I got surprised too!  We had a bunch over last night and I made 5 pizzas.  I used up the last of my homemade pizza sauce I made from the garden. Made 1 with roasted tomatoes and 1/2 pesto.   I still have a few bags of roasted tomatoes and pesto.  I am sure looking forward to some fresh garden tomatoes.  I want to make more spaghetti sauce this year.  I think we are both getting excited for spring. 
Still trying to figure out what kind of get away to do in a couple weeks if any.  Wouldn’t want to much after that or it will get to close to the Alaska Cruise.  Boy, rough life we live.  😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Our daughter Jennifer has been sitting in Orlando for hours now, after arriving from Hartford, Ct .  They have been now been delayed until 10:00.  They will hopefully arrive at our Condo by midnight.🤞

Flying into Ft. Myers?

• Like 1

Garlic is a cool weather crop here. If it gets too warm, it flowers and goes to seed. 

We received our second four pack of government tests in the mail today. 

Bill asked when we use them for the cruise. And I laughed and laughed. :classic_biggrin: I explained that these tests are just for our own amusement. :classic_smile: (which he thought was funny and several jokes later)

He doesn't really follow these things. And then I told him about the for purchase back up home tests and CVS appointments that we will probably have to do for the cruise in April. :classic_huh:

He was not as amused.  :classic_smile:

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 3

On 3/7/2022 at 10:38 PM, Jimbo said:

March Madness soon 🙂 

Hoping Virginia Tech gets in, the school is about 1/2 hour up the road in Blacksberg, Va.  They are really playing well lately and think they might do well if they get in.

Virginia Tech just won 4 in row and Beat Duke 82-67 in the ACC Championship Game and Now have an Automatic Bid into the NCAA Tournament..............Bring on March  Madness !!  WooHoo Hokies !!

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4