Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

9 hours ago, George C said:

My wife has never called in sick in 35 years, she was feeling cold last couple of days on the ship , just came back from urgent care, she has Covid , so far I am fine , currently her symptoms are like a bad flu. 

Sorry to hear this.  Hope she feels better soon.   Have her drink lots of water, it really does help.

Hope you remain ok. 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Seeing as it is practically a cold at this point I’d go with it is up to the individual and their needs.  That said, a common cold has lead to the demise of some people. Lisa, Owen and I got our flu shots this year, but haven’t had a Covid booster in over a year and a half. I’m seriously contemplating getting the shingles vaccine as I know a few that have had it and I’d rather not get it. 

Andrew, believe me when I say that you definitely do not want to get Shingles!!!   Jim and I had reservations for a hotel in Boston in the month of February, and just days before, I wound up with Shingles.  It was so very painful.  By the time I had gotten to the doctor, my rash was full blown and burned like the dickens.  I was put on several medications, so much so that I made a chart and would check off each time I took one of them.  We still decided to go to Boston,  Here I was, walking around the snow-covered sidewalks, in pain with every step.  

Needless to say, I got the shot afterwards.  At the time, there was only one shot.  Once the Shingrex came out, I then made sure to get the two shots of Shingrex.  

Most of my friends and family made sure they got the shots after what I went through.  I wouldn't wish Shingles on my worst enemy.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Tis the Season!

Ricky is getting ready for the Ugly sweater party.

IMG_6508.thumb.jpeg.0bcf4bb965be4dc37a7ec4b58e7cd9ea.jpeg

My daughter brought Lola in to show us Lola wearing a black plaid dress that she bought her for Christmas Eve.  Poor Lola!  she was looking forlornly at Jim and I.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry to hear this.  Hope she feels better soon.   Have her drink lots of water, it really does help.

Hope you remain ok. 😊

She always drinks lots and lots of water , I get my water with ice cubes 😁😁

• Haha 8

8 hours ago, George C said:

Curious what your thoughts on Covid shots , I get them whenever a new one is available, wife got all of them except for the latest. 

Eric and I both had initial 2 does of Pfizer and 1 booster.  He may have had 1 additional booster, will have to check his vax card.   

He had covid Jan 2021 (right before vaccines were available in our area) and I had it Oct 2022. 

We haven't had any shots since 2021 or 2022, will have to find our cards (I think we stored in our safe).  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Eric and I both had initial 2 does of Pfizer and 1 booster.  He may have had 1 additional booster, will have to check his vax card.   

He had covid Jan 2021 (right before vaccines were available in our area) and I had it Oct 2022. 

We haven't had any shots since 2021 or 2022, will have to find our cards (I think we stored in our safe).  

I doubt you will need cards again , I would prefer that they would be needed but cruise lines no longer think so . My wife did have a negative reaction to last Covid booster, I never had an issue . 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Andrew, believe me when I say that you definitely do not want to get Shingles!!!   Jim and I had reservations for a hotel in Boston in the month of February, and just days before, I wound up with Shingles.  It was so very painful.  By the time I had gotten to the doctor, my rash was full blown and burned like the dickens.  I was put on several medications, so much so that I made a chart and would check off each time I took one of them.  We still decided to go to Boston,  Here I was, walking around the snow-covered sidewalks, in pain with every step.  

Needless to say, I got the shot afterwards.  At the time, there was only one shot.  Once the Shingrex came out, I then made sure to get the two shots of Shingrex.  

Most of my friends and family made sure they got the shots after what I went through.  I wouldn't wish Shingles on my worst enemy.

I have heard some horrible stories about shingles.  I remember seeing the pain and suffering my Uncle went through years ago.

So sorry to hear about your pain and suffering.

I keep forgetting I should get the shingrex shots.   

Eric got his shots 2 yrs ago.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, George C said:

I doubt you will need cards again , I would prefer that they would be needed but cruise lines no longer think so . My wife did have a negative reaction to last Covid booster, I never had an issue . 

With Eric being a transplant person and immuno compromised we are always careful.

Eric had felt crappy for 1 or 2 days after one of his shots.   I only had sore arms.  

Eric got covid when he was in a rehab facility for a week after a bad break.  He was positive a couple days after returning home.  I got covid at work.   Just never know.   At least it has evolved to cold/flu like symptoms.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have heard some horrible stories about shingles.  I remember seeing the pain and suffering my Uncle went through years ago.

So sorry to hear about your pain and suffering.

I keep forgetting I should get the shingrex shots.   

Eric got his shots 2 yrs ago.

I'm such a dufus!   I apparently left out the fact that it was at least 12 years ago when I had Shingles.🥺

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I'm such a dufus!   I apparently left out the fact that it was at least 12 years ago when I had Shingles.🥺

I love the word Dufus.  I haven't used it in a while.  I have to bring it back into my house😁

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

7 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Jim and I haven't had any more Covid shots since getting our original 2 plus booster.  I did have Covid this past March after getting back from our Bella cruise.  I'm on the fence about getting any more Covid shots.

That sounds like Susan and me.  We had the initial two, plus one, then none since then.  I had Covid in 22 after flying to California to pick up our grandson for the summer, and Susan had it this summer.  No more shots for us, since it was just like a bad cold.

I did find our cards, tucked inside our passports when I pulled them out for our trip.  

So much to do in the next week to get ready.  Plus, we have to fit in a couple office parties, early Christmas celebration, birthday celebration, ice show, and packing for a month.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

So much to do in the next week to get ready.  Plus, we have to fit in a couple office parties, early Christmas celebration, birthday celebration, ice show, and packing for a month.

You've got this, Mark!🥰

• Like 2

I need some help.  Seeking suggestions for a White Elephant gift for work.  Limit is $30

Last year was easy as we were on a cruise a week before the holiday party and I bought a wood carved sea turtle at one of the port shops.  

I want to get a fun neutral gift for a girl or guy, not a gift card.

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Absolutely horrible. I had an earache the night before a 9-night cruise out of New Orleans. It was progressively worse on the plane the next day. We had dinner with my in-laws and by the next day we walked down to Urgent Care. The doctor said, "That is an angry ear" . and put me on antibiotics, Mucinex and ibuprofen. And then we boarded the next day. 

The first full day of the cruise, I woke up with Shingles blisters on half my face, in my mouth and severe ear pain. Went to medical, fortunately he had acyclovir, and more ibuprofen. Missed at least 3 days of the cruise with warm compresses on my face. 

Came home and went to regular doctor. He gave me something for nerve pain, that I couldn't tolerate, and more antibiotics for my ear. Finally went to ENT, who correctly diagnosed a shingles lesion on my eardrum. He said I was lucky I didn't lose my hearing and didn't have any scarring. My hearing test was fine. And he prescribed a couple of weeks of a steroid, which finally cleared it up. 

It was the most miserable experience. This fall, I have had shots for RSV, flu and then Covid on Thursday. Maybe January, I will start the Shingles vaccines. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I unfortunately had shingles after a miscarriage. 

Working in anesthesia a nerve block would prevent residual effects. 

My case was diagnosed as the “plates” started to form. 
I was started on “anti virals” ( was patented for AIDS therapy). And took one Zovirax 5 times a day for 2 weeks. 

Prevented the further chain of blisters. 

Lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks due to loss of appetite. 

I have already received the shingles vaccine in two separate vaccinations.  

Believe me as others have said.  You don’t want shingles. 

Be safe. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I need some help.  Seeking suggestions for a White Elephant gift for work.  Limit is $30

Last year was easy as we were on a cruise a week before the holiday party and I bought a wood carved sea turtle at one of the port shops.  

I want to get a fun neutral gift for a girl or guy, not a gift card.

Any suggestions?

Retirees are invited to the holiday party and elephant gift exchange on Monday. I bought this, on sale, $22.99: 

Echo Dot (5th Gen, 2022 release) | With bigger vibrant sound, helpful routines and Alexa | Deep Sea Blue

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-release-Smart-speaker-Charcoal/dp/B09B93ZDG4/ref=cs_sr_dp_2?crid=GHE3P7QDWW9K&keywords=echo+dot&qid=1701831476&sprefix=echo+dot%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-1

The luncheon is at the Cheesecake Factory this year. Ours is not exactly a White Elephant gift exchange, because there is stealing involved. So, we try to purchase things that others will like. Personally...I like chocolates and those large Ferrero Rocher gift packs for a small after dinner dessert. But CA likes tech. People who already have an Echo may want another and people that don't, may want to try one. We love our Google mini. ☺️

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1