When Do You Plan To Cruise Again?

SargassoPirate

20 hours ago, islandwoman said:

Do you feel safe getting on a plane? 

Are you aware that the European Union is closed to US residents? 

Right now, Florida is not a safe place and it isn't getting any better.  I live there.

Not flying anywhere.
Thanks for making my point. 

Stay safe and carry on!

Here are some of my musings regarding the vaccine and Covid-19.

A recent AP poll revealed that only about half of the US population would bother to get the Covid-19 vaccine.  That's about the same number who bother to get an annual flu shot.  The Covid-19 is here to stay, as is the remnents of the Russian Flu from 1898 and the Spanish Flu.  Both are still circulating, but mutated into the range of common cold viruses.

Once a vaccine is widely available, what is the next step?  Can we take off our masks since there will be no need to wear them to protect others - the others being those who refuse the vaccine?

Right now, in the US, the death rate from Covid-19 per 100,000 population is about 4.4 percent.  The death rate from the regular flu is around 2.9 percent.

The media's focus on cases right now is background noise because that's what they do.  It gives them a chance to use "skyrocketing". n Remember when it was all about flattening the curve, then it was all about ventilators, then it was all about PPE, then it was all about testing, and now it's all about cases.  The numbers to watch are the positivity rate of the tests, and the overall death rate.  You don't hear much about the death rate since that curve has been flattened and is remaining pretty steady.  No news to sensationalize there.

Just wondering about the future of cruising and life in general.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I haven’t got any more cruises booked this year, but I have cruises booked for March and October next year, and another one booked for January 2022. 

At the moment, I wouldn’t say I’m exactly planning to go on any of them.  I’m almost certainly going to cancel the one for March, just waiting for a while in the hope that the cruise line will cancel it first.

i don’t think about a vaccine very much. If there is a safe, and effective vaccine, I don’t think it’ll be a magic bullet and everything will suddenly revert to life as it was.

Unfortunately, I think life will be like it is now for quite a while. Social distancing, masks, local lockdowns and sudden changes to advice for travel overseas.

My May 2021 Bermuda cruise is in question with me because no one knows what is going to happen.  Bermuda is a bucket list place for me so I will be bummed if I have to cancel cuz of this virus.  I also have an Alaska cruise booked for September 2021.  I have never been to Alaska before either. 

7 hours ago, BeachDiva101 said:

My May 2021 Bermuda cruise is in question with me because no one knows what is going to happen.  Bermuda is a bucket list place for me so I will be bummed if I have to cancel cuz of this virus.  I also have an Alaska cruise booked for September 2021.  I have never been to Alaska before either. 

I too have a cruise booked for May.  My final payment date is January 1, 2021.  If my cruise doesn't cancel by then and things are still uncertain, I'm not sure what to do. 

What will you do if it's still dangerous to cruise by your final payment date, but your May cruise hasn't cancelled?

@islandwoman

My final payment is due February 2021 for my May 2021 Bermuda cruise.  I'm going to see how things go from now till then, if things are still bad, I will call Carnival and try and have my final payment date moved to March 2021 and see if Carnival cancels.  If Carnival does not cancel with things still uncertain or cruising has returned but with too many restrictions, I will most likely have to cancel the cruise.  Right now unfortunately everyone of us is in a holding pattern.

We are not planning any cruises. It was an attractive travel option but not now. I had a Bali Land Tour booked in March and the Tours and Flights are still in limbo with my Insurance company. You find out how good your paid up insurance really is when you actually have to make a claim!

We have three cruises booked; February 2021 to the Caribbean, May 2021 to Norway, Sweden and Denmark and March 2022 to South America.  If any of the ships sail we are going but I am guessing the February cruise could be cancelled.  

• 1 month later...

One Point that I need to make about We Senior Cruisers is not shared by the Youngsters....

While I think about my 5 Cruises that have been Canceled this year (All by the Cruise Lines) I am also trying to be Safe in my daily life as I do not want to become another victim of the Covid 19 virus.

BUT at the same time I am Losing a YEAR of my life. If I were 25 that may be a Small percentage of the Time I have left on this Earth BUT as someone getting close to 80 that could be 10%, 20% or..?...% of the time I have left.

So I Hope things like a Vaccine or anything else that will let me get back to going on a Cruise will be Very Welcome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D. B. said:

BUT at the same time I am Losing a YEAR of my life.

I am also close to 80 and am taking every precaution to try to live to cruise again.  We'd rather be cruising, but we can use this year + to enjoy things that we miss while cruising.  I'm gardening and planning future cruises.

Yes island woman I to have found ways to fill the year stuck Ashore!

doing things around the house that I have been putting off and reading more.

i have 5 cruises planned for 2021 with Celebrity and RCCL that they will let me cancel anytime up until 48 hours before the ship sails.

I want to support the Cruise Industry so they will still be in business when I want and Can sail with them😉

20 hours ago, D. B. said:

i have 5 cruises planned for 2021 with Celebrity and RCCL that they will let me cancel anytime up until 48 hours before the ship sails.

I have 4 cruises planned with Azamara (B2B2B2B), that I think has the same cancellation policies as Celebrity and RCCL.  The dates are problematical for me though. Our final payment dates are January and February 2021.  Sail dates May and June 2021.  If we cancel, we'll receive a FCC good on a cruise before April 2022.  How will we know by January whether it will be safe to travel in May?  If we cancel our 2021 cruises, the next time these cruises might be offered would be May and June 2022 - too late for Azamara's offer 🥴  To make matters more difficult, Azamara hasn't yet posted any cruises after April, 2022. What to do?  What to do?  

Islandwoman I really Hope you can get to go on your B2B2B2B cruises!:classic_biggrin:

Back in April I booked a Celebrity Cruise out of Melbourne Australia leaving Feb. 20,2021.

I may have been a little optimistic but I had a Credit with Air New Zealand from a cancelled flight that I had to use.

As of now Australia is requiring a 14 day quarantine for tourist arriving from the USA (Can't blame them!) so if that requirement is not lifted by Feb. 1st. I will self cancel the cruise and take the FCC.

Spending 2 weeks locked in a Melbourne Hotel does Not seem like a good start to a Cruise !:classic_sad:

We are not giving a dime to any travel vendor, especially cruise lines, at this point.  Absolutely no interest in the FCC mugs game that cruise lines are promoting to box in their customers or waiting months on end for a refund.

We will book when and if we are confident that it is safe to do so, when we understand the on board environment, and most likely withing a few weeks of departure.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, iancal said:

We will book when and if we are confident that it is safe to do so, when we understand the on board environment, and most likely withing a few weeks of departure.

I wish I could say the same.  We already had 5 cruises booked when the pandemic hit, 4 of those with non-refundable deposits. 😟  Cruise #1 has been cancelled by the cruise line.  We're trying to postpone the other 4 until 2022.

• 5 weeks later...

Have been busy with rebooking 2020 cancelled cruises. Along with reading and walking and puzzling etc. Currently for 2021 have two in January booked (I suspect one will be cancelled for sure as it is out of Port of Tampa) and one for February and one for March. We are wanting to cruise once ships are a go.

18 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Have been busy with rebooking 2020 cancelled cruises. Along with reading and walking and puzzling etc. Currently for 2021 have two in January booked (I suspect one will be cancelled for sure as it is out of Port of Tampa) and one for February and one for March. We are wanting to cruise once ships are a go.

What is it about the Port of Tampa that indicates one of your January cruises will likely be cancelled?

What's different about the other 3 that makes you think they'll be a go?

Some time ago there was an article in a Tampa newspaper that suggested the Port of Tampa 'may' not allow ships cruise until March or April but have heard nothing since. The other cruises I have booked are from Miami. I of course realize all of the ports and cruises are just "wait and see" from day to day.

• 2 weeks later...

Good topic.  I have no idea when we will cruise again.  We did not have a cruise scheduled for 2020 but had to cancel our vacation.  Our European vacation next summer is looking questionable - we were planning on going to Czech Republic/Slovakia/Poland/Germany.  River cruising is a dream.  RIght now we're thinking something shorter and closer to the US.  Those private island and Key West 3-4 day cruises are looking good to us right now.

On 9/11/2020 at 4:59 PM, D. B. said:

One Point that I need to make about We Senior Cruisers is not shared by the Youngsters....

While I think about my 5 Cruises that have been Canceled this year (All by the Cruise Lines) I am also trying to be Safe in my daily life as I do not want to become another victim of the Covid 19 virus.

BUT at the same time I am Losing a YEAR of my life. If I were 25 that may be a Small percentage of the Time I have left on this Earth BUT as someone getting close to 80 that could be 10%, 20% or..?...% of the time I have left.

So I Hope things like a Vaccine or anything else that will let me get back to going on a Cruise will be Very Welcome.

Agree! Well expressed.

On 9/11/2020 at 4:59 PM, D. B. said:

BUT at the same time I am Losing a YEAR of my life.

DH and I are about your age.  Whenever it occurs to me that I am losing a year+ of my life,  I remember that it is a small price to pay for living to cruise again and living to visit grandchildren again.

On 11/2/2020 at 8:53 AM, islandwoman said:

Since the CDC is lifting its no-sail order as of November 1, 2020, have you changed when you plan to cruise again? 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5687/

Not really.  The part that concerns me is that if Covid is detected on board, all remaining passengers will be quarantined.  I think I'll wait and see what they do once a vaccine is widely available.

Signed,

one who got stuck in Australia in March after cruise lines and airlines started shutting down.