CRUISE REFUND RECEIVED

Twogreynomads

8 hours ago, UncleZen said:

I got my refund earlier this week.

I booked through a high st TA, (3 letters), when you call them they say that I should receive an Email from them. No Email was ever received. When you speak to them, they say you must request a refund via a link on the P&O site, which I did (no email confirmation is sent). When you call P&O their telephony system says, if you booked through a TA you must call the TA and cut you off! - what a shambles. Anyway I eventually got a cheque in the post from Carnival - yay. Took it straight down the bank and banked it.

Great job my friend, I wish every one of you who has applied for a refund to get it in a very short time. The thing about it is that while the world creeping out of the crisis, the companies are preparing ground for future investments and I am sure they will not try tu turn their potential clients down and they will do anything for them to return. Maybe its just me but this is how I see it 

12 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Great job my friend, I wish every one of you who has applied for a refund to get it in a very short time. The thing about it is that while the world creeping out of the crisis, the companies are preparing ground for future investments and I am sure they will not try tu turn their potential clients down and they will do anything for them to return. Maybe its just me but this is how I see it 

Carnival Corporation, the owner of P&O Cruises, is due to post second-quarter results In the USA today and update Wall Street later on the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. It will be interesting to see how this impacts on the share price. 

I’m still waiting for a refund from March despite phone calls, emails to Ludlow and telephone calls with alleged senior officials.

Edited by PRINCESSTHE BEST

2 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Carnival Corporation, the owner of P&O Cruises, is due to post second-quarter results In the USA today and update Wall Street later on the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. It will be interesting to see how this impacts on the share price. 

I’m still waiting for a refund from March despite phone calls, emails to Ludlow and telephone calls with alleged senior officials.

If you haven't already done so, maybe you could try e-mailing Mr Ludlow's new boss, Simon Palethorpe?

2 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Shares around £9 this morning.  Been hovering around £10 throughout the week.  Will be interesting to see what happens after the results.

Finally sorted for me.

Day 102 for me, but cheque finally arrived today.

A part of me is pleased I got into the 100 club because in cricketing times it much better than being out in the nineties.

I did issue the legal threat 10 days ago and got an email in reply saying I would recieve my cheque within 10 days, it came with 7 days.

Good luck to those still chasing in particular those who have waited longer tham myself.

• Like 1

There is a report on the BBC website stating that more than 100 package holiday firms have received warnings from the Competition and Markets Authority relating to the timeliness of refunds, misleading information provided about the subject, and/or not offering refunds.  17,500 complaints received.  ABTA position more nuanced now than it was.

Given that P&O were highlighted in the MSE survey, I would be surprised if Carnival was not included in the list.  However, the full list of companies in receipt of warnings not clear. 

The next stage is enforcement action - this seems to have happened in relation to a few holiday cottage firms, awaits to be seen if any action follows in the cruise ship industry, relating to refund practices.  Grateful if anyone knows more about this.

9 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

There is a report on the BBC website stating that more than 100 package holiday firms have received warnings from the Competition and Markets Authority relating to the timeliness of refunds, misleading information provided about the subject, and/or not offering refunds.  17,500 complaints received.  ABTA position more nuanced now than it was.

Given that P&O were highlighted in the MSE survey, I would be surprised if Carnival was not included in the list.  However, the full list of companies in receipt of warnings not clear. 

The next stage is enforcement action - this seems to have happened in relation to a few holiday cottage firms, awaits to be seen if any action follows in the cruise ship industry, relating to refund practices.  Grateful if anyone knows more about this.

You’ve probably already seen this:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/07/watchdog-warns-more-than-100-package-holiday-firms-over-refund-d/

Like you, I’m pretty sure that P&O will be on that list, and I’m reasonably confident that they’ll start paying up pretty soon, as the holiday lettings companies did, to avoid yet more bad publicity.

More borrowings for Carnival.

14 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You’ve probably already seen this:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/07/watchdog-warns-more-than-100-package-holiday-firms-over-refund-d/

Like you, I’m pretty sure that P&O will be on that list, and I’m reasonably confident that they’ll start paying up pretty soon, as the holiday lettings companies did, to avoid yet more bad publicity.

More borrowings for Carnival.

Maybe EasyJet have had a warning as well I got a refund from them this morning 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevcharben said:

Finally sorted for me.

Day 102 for me, but cheque finally arrived today.

A part of me is pleased I got into the 100 club because in cricketing times it much better than being out in the nineties.

I did issue the legal threat 10 days ago and got an email in reply saying I would recieve my cheque within 10 days, it came with 7 days.

Good luck to those still chasing in particular those who have waited longer tham myself.

Really pleased you have finally got your refund.👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manx buoy said:

Maybe EasyJet have had a warning as well I got a refund from them this morning 

I have had an email from easyJet saying refund on Credit Card today so I will keep checking my card the next few days.

Hoping someone can help me we booked 2 rooms to travel 9th may. When it got cancelled I finally got  hold of our ta (the 3 letter one)  and requested a refund as I'd paid for both rooms. I've received a cheque today for our reservation and am wondering if I'll get a separate cheque for the other  room as it had a different booking ref but the ta paperwork had all 4 names on. Hopefully someone has experience of this and can help me

I see yesterday that the CMA have written to Travel Package Companies about their responses to refunds, with a warning shotS fire for those who are tardy with their processes.

Three extracts

“where the 14-day statutory deadline has already been missed as at the date of this letter, ensure that any refunds due are paid promptly and without undue delay (bearing in mind payment should have been made within 14 days of termination);”

“Furthermore,businessesshouldbeproactivelycommunicatingwith consumers and letting them know when they will be paid their refund, keeping in mind the requirements of the PTRs.“

“Businesses which do not comply with consumer law risk enforcement action from the CMA or local Trading Standards. While the CMA is not beginning enforcement action against your company at present, we continue to monitor the complaints and intelligence that we are receiving. The CMA may decide to prioritise enforcement action against you in line with its Prioritisation Principles, for example if it continues to receive complaints about your company.”

Full letter 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/899409/Holiday_packages_Final_OpenLetter_.pdf

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

Interesting to note that this thread is now the 'benchmark' for disgruntled UK cruisers on other  UK forums and is being quoted regularly.

Personally I've still got a degree of sympathy for P&O as it's still only 10 months ago that I had yet another excellent 24 night cruise with them onboard Arcadia...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2019/10/28/arcadias-canadian-round-trip/

While onboard I recall making a complaint regarding an incident on a shore excursion and I received a substantial partial refund onto my onboard account in less than 24 hours.

5 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Interesting to note that this thread is now the 'benchmark' for disgruntled UK cruisers on other  UK forums and is being quoted regularly.

Personally I've still got a degree of sympathy for P&O as it's still only 10 months ago that I had yet another excellent 24 night cruise with them onboard Arcadia...

While onboard I recall making a complaint regarding an incident on a shore excursion and I received a substantial partial refund onto my onboard account in less than 24 hours.

Richard

Thank you for the blog, we were on the same cruise brought back memories.

• Like 1

Just now, Solent Richard said:

My pleasure. Glad you had a good time to.

1988791033_SignalHill14ArcadiaHarbourView.jpg.3f90d38e6a6bba3eaf9f08275472a59b.jpg

495077035_ArcadiaberthedatSaguenay.jpg.65431a8d8358f98640bd958342d048bb.jpg

We did, so we booked an 11 night cruise on her in December 2019. Since then, all three this year cancelled. Next is a 35 night B2B in May/June 2021 on Aurora. Will not be going. Need to wait for vaccine.

21 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

I had happily studied your excellent blog as we were supposed to do it this year, alas cancelled.

I am not holding my breath for my refund for September as I still have repayment for sundries outstanding from March! This lengthy delayS in repayment with no proactive communication from P&O and no reply to polite enquiries is why the topic is still under discussion. You waited 24 hours, I am now over 100 days which is unacceptable by anyone’s standards surely?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

I had happily studied your excellent blog as we were supposed to do it this year, alas cancelled.

I am not holding my breath for my refund for September as I still have repayment for sundries outstanding from March! This lengthy delayS in repayment with no proactive communication from P&O and no reply to polite enquiries is why the topic is still under discussion. You waited 24 hours, I am now over 100 days which is unacceptable by anyone’s standards surely?

It is unacceptable. So why are you being polite? Why don’t you do something about it? It looks like those who have pursued legal action have been paid pretty quickly. I know I was when I threatened to sue. 

Just now, staygulf said:

It is unacceptable. So why are you being polite? Why don’t you do something about it? It looks like those who have pursued legal action have been paid pretty quickly. I know I was when I threatened to sue. 

If it had been the full  cruise fare from March I would have done that by now however as it is just for sundries it would cost more to pursue than it is worth. It will interesting to see just how long they take to pay back what they have acknowledged in writing that they owe me.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:35 PM, No pager thank you said:

I still dont understand why is it taking so long for those companies to issue refunds to their clients. Just think about it - they have already earned a living and even after refunding people and paying salaries - they will have enough money to continue their business. Let it be my humble opinion 

28 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I still dont understand why is it taking so long for those companies to issue refunds to their clients. Just think about it - they have already earned a living and even after refunding people and paying salaries - they will have enough money to continue their business. Let it be my humble opinion 

They, at least in the case of Carnival, do have the money - but it's all borrowed money, mostly at high interest rates because of the risk to lenders.

So the easy option is to delay payment for as long as they can get away with it.  You can get the money out of them, as others have said, but only by taking firm and effective action.  Not that difficult - just a little research and perseverance.