CRUISE REFUND RECEIVED

Twogreynomads

4 minutes ago, kalos said:

You did the right thing Andy ,especially with Michelle's situation.

Most people naturally opt for the "it will be alright option"

A man from Sheffield was on our local news,self employed ,works seven days a week .

Back in March one Friday he said to his wife he felt unwell cough etc and he thought he 

would soldier on ,did not want a fuss.By Tuesday he was on a ventilator in hospital.

He just got discharged last week !

People should not be made to feel like they are being paranoid/making a fuss if there is 

a genuine concern, it's not just about themselves.

Andy consideration for others as you rightly say has to be a priority now.

Complacency will only help the virus spread further.

Great post Kalos and perfectly correct.

If you have any symptoms just like any other medical condition get it checked out as I know it can save your life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

It was only a couple of weeks back that I was bemoaning that the test centres were overstaffed as I encountered about 30 people from inside my car and was one of 2 cars there... 

I booked the test within a few hours and had the results before the next morning. 

This just shows how quickly things can change. 

Did I really need the test? With hindsight, probably not, a Lemsip and soldier on would have been my usual response, but the consideration for others has to be a priority now. 

Andy 

You definitely needed that test.Andy. It was important to be sure, as you have Michelle to consider. 

Avril

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

When Dido Harding says that the increased demand for tests was unexpected,  I lose the will to live! She was hopeless in her last job, and she is even worse now

My own personal opinion for what it's worth, is that this will carry on in the same chaotic manner until they let the medical professionals and scientists do the job the have been trained for and leave politics out of it. The people dispensing advice have as much medical training as Trumpington, and are beginning to sound very much like him I'm afraid.

Avril

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

You definitely needed that test.Andy. It was important to be sure, as you have Michelle to consider. 

Avril

Plus at the time we were all being told to get tested, with no provisos. The message has only  been changed very  recently, coincidentally when the system became unable to cope with us doing what we were told to do.😉

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

My own personal opinion for what it's worth, is that this will carry on in the same chaotic manner until they let the medical professionals and scientists do the job the have been trained for and leave politics out of it. The people dispensing advice have as much medical training as Trumpington, and are beginning to sound very much like him I'm afraid.

Avril

Which scientists, though, Avril? They can't agree either...

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Well, say you have been working with someone that has been tested and found to have CV19. You therefore should self isolate for 14 days, along with the rest of your family. You and your partner cannot go to work, and if you have children they cannot go to school.

So, you need to have a test so that if you are tested negative, you and your family can resume normal life.

These would fall into the genuine need category wowzz.   What Jean, and I, are raising are those that just want a test to give them assurance they haven't got the virus, and there are plenty because unfortunately a branch of our family have all recently had tests when none of them had a genuine reason. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

To a certain extent I agree, but the medical advice has to take into account the socioeconomic impact of that advice.

If we have another lockdown, as some medical experts are advising, it might reduce CV19 deaths, (which are running at only 8 a day or so at present),  but the economic effects, plus deaths due to  none CV19 causes, would be catastrophic. 

The political part is deciding where to draw the balance.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

These would fall into the genuine need category wowzz.   What Jean, and I, are raising are those that just want a test to give them assurance they haven't got the virus, and there are plenty because unfortunately a branch of our family have all recently had tests when none of them had a genuine reason. 

I agree,  that seems pretty stupid, and a waste of the limited testing resources.

21 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Which scientists, though, Avril? They can't agree either...

Maybe not, but they are more qualified than those running the show at the moment. The only way is pool their data and theories and work through it together as a team. Van-Tam would be better in charge, he's the only one out of the lot of them that is specifically qualified in this field. This is a deadly virus that won't be defeated by being used as political club to beat each other with. 

Avril

• Like 3

I think the decisions have to be made by elected politicians, bad though those politicians are (not unelected advisors like Dominic Cummings who appear to be pulling all the strings), but they should be publishing all the evidence on which those decisions are made, rather than selecting the bits that suit.

Most of the chaos that’s going on now is caused by politicians concentrating on trying to save their wretched skins rather than doing the right thing for the country. Some honesty would help, but there’s precious little of that around!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think the decisions have to be made by elected politicians, bad though those politicians are (not unelected advisors like Dominic Cummings who appear to be pulling all the strings), but they should be publishing all the evidence on which those decisions are made, rather than selecting the bits that suit.

Most of the chaos that’s going on now is caused by politicians concentrating on trying to save their wretched skins rather than doing the right thing for the country. Some honesty would help, but there’s precious little of that around!

We watch GMB every morning and Piers Morgan stresses it is 146+ days since they could interview certain individuals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

To a certain extent I agree, but the medical advice has to take into account the socioeconomic impact of that advice.

If we have another lockdown, as some medical experts are advising, it might reduce CV19 deaths, (which are running at only 8 a day or so at present),  but the economic effects, plus deaths due to  none CV19 causes, would be catastrophic. 

The political part is deciding where to draw the balance.

Why have qualified medical advisors at all? They seem to have been trotted out on a regular basis as if to say ''Look , we've got the scientists in for their expert advice'' When all they do is offer good advise, only to be ignored if it isn't what fits with what another 'special avdvsor' decides. They stood there explaining charts and graphs and towed the political line. You could see that they wanted to say more.  I understand your economic reasoning wowzz,  and It might 'only' be 8 deaths a day at the moment, but that's how it began 7 months ago and look where we are now, they didn't learn.  It's time for them to try another path instead of steamrollering  blindly  along following the same  advisor and  making up new slogans      Which is why the only advice I take now is my own and the only person I listen to is Van-Tam.  When he's allowed to offer his sensible advise that is.

Avril

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Why have qualified medical advisors at all? They seem to have been trotted out on a regular basis as if to say ''Look , we've got the scientists in for their expert advice'' When all they do is offer good advise, only to be ignored if it isn't what fits with what another 'special avdvsor' decides. They stood there explaining charts and graphs and towed the political line. You could see that they wanted to say more.  I understand your economic reasoning wowzz,  and It might 'only' be 8 deaths a day at the moment, but that's how it began 7 months ago and look where we are now, they didn't learn.  It's time for them to try another path instead of steamrollering  blindly  along following the same  advisor and  making up new slogans      Which is why the only advice I take now is my own and the only person I listen to is Van-Tam.  When he's allowed to offer his sensible advise that is.

Avril

My thoughts too in all points you make.

Failing to allow interviews on GMB is shocking imo 

27 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:Which is why the only advice I take now is my own and the only person I listen to is Van-Tam.  When he's allowed to offer his sensible advise that is.

And you can be very sure that he’ll be removed or sidelined just as soon as his message doesn’t suit Dominic’s purposes, wherever those purposes might be originating.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Failing to allow interviews on GMB is shocking imo 

This is the very first time I have to disagree with you Graham. Piers Morgan is a rude, arrogant and bombastic bully who only wants to insult and belittle his 'guest'   It's not an interview when the interviewee can't get a word in edgewise. 

Avril

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

This is the very first time I have to disagree with you Graham. Piers Morgan is a rude, arrogant and bombastic bully who only wants to insult and belittle his 'guest'   It's not an interview when the interviewee can't get a word in edgewise. 

Avril

That's true but he does ask the tough questions that need answering although he does not work Thursday or Friday so why not let a minister come on those days if there is nothing to hide.

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

That's true but he does ask the tough questions that need answering although he does not work Thursday or Friday so why not let a minister come on those days if there is nothing to hide.

That's simple to answer Graham,  because when he came back on Monday he would criticise them and say they were cowards and afraid to face him. 

Avril

• Like 2

Up here we are already being softened up for more draconian measures. Personally I think they should have properly enforced the measures already in place first. Those ignoring them are generally getting away with it.

I don’t object to doing my bit to keep everyone safe but get really annoyed at having my liberties taken away because others have been stupid and selfish. They know what they are doing is both morally wrong and illegal but do it anyway.

I predict a miserable Christmas. Turkey stockpiling has already commenced (no, not a joke, there has been a run on frozen turkey 🦃)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

That's simple to answer Graham,  because when he came back on Monday he would criticise them and say they were cowards and afraid to face him. 

Avril

Yes he would do that.

Personally I would respect them more if they came on and spoke the truth.

They are surely in a position where they need to tough it out like Nicola Sturgeon and plenty of shadow ministers do.

The public deserve no less especially now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Up here we are already being softened up for more draconian measures. Personally I think they should have properly enforced the measures already in place first. Those ignoring them are generally getting away with it.

I don’t object to doing my bit to keep everyone safe but get really annoyed at having my liberties taken away because others have been stupid and selfish. They know what they are doing is both morally wrong and illegal but do it anyway.

I predict a miserable Christmas. Turkey stockpiling has already commenced (no, not a joke, there has been a run on frozen turkey 🦃)

I absolutely agree with you and imo Cummings and Boris condoning him was a pivotal turning point.

My business calls are independent convenience stores and customers and owners are not wearing masks and I was the only 1 wearing a full face plastic visor last week so I am not going to go in unless absolutely necessary.

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

Sorry, I didn’t realise this was the refund thread so I am well off topic. I read the last few posts and assumed I was on the general one. Oops!

Hopefully we might be able to start posting about refunds again soon as our £169 deposit for Iona February 20 2021was requested for last week and surely a lot of people are now in the same position.

• Like 1