CRUISE REFUND RECEIVED

Twogreynomads

2 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Oh that is next year too 😞 

Yes I forgot to put 2021 on.

Final payment was not due for another 2 months so at least they saved us the worry whether to pay or not.

It also gave Pauline the opportunity to change her holiday dates with work as she had just submitted them the day before.

Graham.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

My balance for April 2021 will be due late December.  Simply going to move the £50 x 2 deposits to FCC for 2022.  Just hope our October 2021 cruise will go ahead. 

So do we. Surely this cruising upheavel can't go on forever.🤞

Avril

• Like 1

In our case, we are not ready to cruise until there is a vaccine really.  And don't fancy a cruise if there all kinds of restrictions.  The October cruise has Greek ports and others that certainly don't require excursions which I hate.  We like to explore onour own.  It wouldn't be worth going if we couldn't do that.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

In our case, we are not ready to cruise until there is a vaccine really.  And don't fancy a cruise if there all kinds of restrictions.  The October cruise has Greek ports and others that certainly don't require excursions which I hate.  We like to explore onour own.  It wouldn't be worth going if we couldn't do that.

That's understandable. We'd much rather do our own thing, unless it's a new port, then we'll do tour to see as much as possible in the time there. I just keep hoping that come October 2021, after 20 months, surely, surely, they've managed to get on top of this dreadful virus.

Avril

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Did I write this post???  Maybe not, but completely my sentiments.  I will not cruise until there is a vaccine and that I can do my own thing in ports.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Matt Hancock stated this Morning on Andrew Marr show that the prospect of a vaccine being available by the end of this year is looking good and rolled out at the beginning of 2021. Problem is do you believe anything Matt Hancock says.

The thing is that he can say what he likes.  The vaccine will only be ready when it is ready.  

Yes I could believe him.  However, first of all they need to prove it actually works.  I feel sorry for any Government having to deal with this, but at least our lot tell it like it is, not like Sir Trumpington  Oh it will go away, even without a vaccine it will go away.  Stupid pillock.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Matt Hancock stated this Morning on Andrew Marr show that the prospect of a vaccine being available by the end of this year is looking good and rolled out at the beginning of 2021. Problem is do you believe anything Matt Hancock says.

If Professor Van-Tam had said it, then probably. He tells the truth. He rarely appears anymore  though since the 'Durham Disaster' but is infinitely more qualified than Matt Hancock to speak on the topic of covid.

Avril

• Like 5

There are various vaccines being tested, so I’m willing to believe that there will be one available at some point.

If any vaccine is Is authorised for mass vaccination this will take time. We also don’t know how effective any vaccination will be. 

Therefore, for the foreseeable future, even if vaccinations did start, all the restrictions will remain  in place, as they won’t be lifted immediately. I think we’ll be living under restrictions of some sort for all of 2021. Some restricted cruises may happen, but I don’t fancy cruising under these conditions. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

In a word, no. Because the scientists at Oxford are saying it’s unlikely. And because pretty much every promise he’s made so far has been broken - only to be followed by yet another even greater promise, which is then in turn broken.

One little word - testing.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

The thing is that he can say what he likes.  The vaccine will only be ready when it is ready.  

Even when it's ready only 1 in 10 will get it in the first year.

According to Dr Cleo Kontoravdi, associate professor of chemical engineering at Imperial College London, 

"We have to be clear that in the first instance not everybody will have access to the vaccine.

We do not have the manufacturing capacity."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-only-one-in-10-to-be-protected-from-covid-19-in-first-year-of-vaccine-use-12072473

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

That's understandable. We'd much rather do our own thing, unless it's a new port, then we'll do tour to see as much as possible in the time there. I just keep hoping that come October 2021, after 20 months, surely, surely, they've managed to get on top of this dreadful virus.

Avril

We are the same.

We don't mind doing a tour but also like to explore ports on our own.

Graham.

55 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

In a word, no. Because the scientists at Oxford are saying it’s unlikely. And because pretty much every promise he’s made so far has been broken - only to be followed by yet another even greater promise, which is then in turn broken.

One little word - testing.

We are at 18th in the world on number of tests per head of population. Most of the countries ahead of us are very small e.g. Faroe Islands and none have a population above 10 million to our 67 million. So we are doing well on testing, maybe Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Portugal et al need to catch up.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

We are at 18th in the world on number of tests per head of population. Most of the countries ahead of us are very small e.g. Faroe Islands and none have a population above 10 million to our 67 million. So we are doing well on testing, maybe Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Portugal et al need to catch up.

Have a listen to this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000mksw

More or Less, presented by Tim Harford.  An excellent weekly analysis of whether government and other claims stand up to scrutiny.

You're not seriously suggesting our testing system is functioning, are you? When people are being asked to travel a hundred miles or more for a test because there are none locally?  How many people are going to do that?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Have a listen to this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000mksw

More or Less, presented by Tim Harford.  An excellent weekly analysis of whether government and other claims stand up to scrutiny.

You're not seriously suggesting our testing system is functioning, are you? When people are being asked to travel a hundred miles or more for a test because there are none locally?  How many people are going to do that?

Probably very few people out of the numbers requesting a test, but you can bet the media have found and interviewed them all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

And then there are those who don't need a test who are trying to get one.  Why?

Well, say you have been working with someone that has been tested and found to have CV19. You therefore should self isolate for 14 days, along with the rest of your family. You and your partner cannot go to work, and if you have children they cannot go to school.

So, you need to have a test so that if you are tested negative, you and your family can resume normal life.

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Probably very few people out of the numbers requesting a test, but you can bet the media have found and interviewed them all.

Interesting interview with a mother in central Essex on the BBC this morning. Her daughter had a cough, and the school sent the daughter home in case it was CV19. Therefore the mother and father had to self isolate as well. The first test available was in South Kensington (!) on September 26th, some 10 days after developing symptoms. The parents therefore decided to spend £175 for a private test.

At this time of year the incidence of coughs and sneezes amongst returning school children is always high.  Thanks to the  current state of paranoia it is understandable that the need for tests will increase.

When Dido Harding says that the increased demand for tests was unexpected,  I lose the will to live! She was hopeless in her last job, and she is even worse now, if that is possible! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Interesting interview with a mother in central Essex on the BBC this morning. Her daughter had a cough, and the school sent the daughter home in case it was CV19. Therefore the mother and father had to self isolate as well. The first test available was in South Kensington (!) on September 26th, some 10 days after developing symptoms. The parents therefore decided to spend £175 for a private test.

At this time of year the incidence of coughs and sneezes amongst returning school children is always high.  Thanks to the  current state of paranoia it is understandable that the need for tests will increase.

When Dido Harding says that the increased demand for tests was unexpected,  I lose the will to live! She was hopeless in her last job, and she is even worse now, if that is possible! 

It was only a couple of weeks back that I was bemoaning that the test centres were overstaffed as I encountered about 30 people from inside my car and was one of 2 cars there... 

I booked the test within a few hours and had the results before the next morning. 

This just shows how quickly things can change. 

Did I really need the test? With hindsight, probably not, a Lemsip and soldier on would have been my usual response, but the consideration for others has to be a priority now. 

Andy 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

The woman's a walking disaster area - just look at her track record!  What's even more worrying is that the person ultimately responsible for her appointment has an equally appalling track record, and he's still getting away with it!

Chaos - and we're all having to pay a heavy price for it.  Headline from today's Times:

'Covid curbs will last for six months, Number 10 warns'

58 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It was only a couple of weeks back that I was bemoaning that the test centres were overstaffed as I encountered about 30 people from inside my car and was one of 2 cars there... 

I booked the test within a few hours and had the results before the next morning. 

Did I really need the test? With hindsight, probably not, a Lemsip and soldier on would have been my usual response, but the consideration for others has to be a priority now. 

Andy 

You were perfectly right to get the test Andy to protect Michelle.

Graham.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

You did the right thing Andy ,especially with Michelle's situation.

Most people naturally opt for the "it will be alright option"

A man from Sheffield was on our local news,self employed ,works seven days a week .

Back in March one Friday he said to his wife he felt unwell cough etc and he thought he 

would soldier on ,did not want a fuss.By Tuesday he was on a ventilator in hospital.

He just got discharged last week !

People should not be made to feel like they are being paranoid/making a fuss if there is 

a genuine concern, it's not just about themselves.

Andy consideration for others as you rightly say has to be a priority now.

Complacency will only help the virus spread further.

• Like 3