Viking must change their final payment policy...

NavyCruiser

Looking at booking a European river cruise at Viking for next Nov 2021.

That's 18 months, or 1.5 years away.

Besides the deposit today, They want final payment by July 2020.

We asked if they can push that back to a reasonable July 2021, since in this economy, we don't want to tie up our $ for that long.

They said NO, that "this final balance date is firm"

Guess we're firm on not booking & letting have our $ as free loan for 1.5 years.

Would figure in this environment where most other travel & cruise companies have greatly relaxed that final payment & cancellation policies that Viking would be more competitive & be more reasonable with their final payment policy...

Edited by NavyCruiser
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Roz said:

I've always contended Viking uses that money as a free loan from their customers and uses it to fund their rapid expansion.

They do. They pay cash for their ships.

That's the main reason I refuse to book with Viking. The don't have a product or prices that are  better the the other players to justify their payment policy.  I take my money elsewhere.  My parents have friends who book with viking because they booked a "sale".  Viking is like mattress stores-when are mattresses or Viking "not" on sale lol 

• Like 1

They will move the date you just have to negotiate it with the sales person.  I booked back in June of 2018 with a deposit.  My final payment date was May 4 2020 for a Nov. 4 2020 cruise.  I called again last week to ask for some more time they pushed it back 2 more weeks.

5 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Looking at booking a European river cruise at Viking for next Nov 2021.

That's 18 months, or 1.5 years away.

Besides the deposit today, They want final payment by July 2020.

We asked if they can push that back to a reasonable July 2021, since in this economy, we don't want to tie up our $ for that long.

They said NO, that "this final balance date is firm"

Guess we're firm on not booking & letting have our $ as free loan for 1.5 years.

Would figure in this environment where most other travel & cruise companies have greatly relaxed that final payment & cancellation policies that Viking would be more competitive & be more reasonable with their final payment policy...

I've had luck with my TA getting Viking to move the date closer. Frustrated with Uniworld right now. They're not relaxing final payment with the virus going on.

Interesting, since Viking lately has received much positive press over their voucher (125%) vs. refund (100%) policy for cancelled cruises.  They followed that up by adding that vouchers not used in 2 years convert into 100% refunds.

On these boards, those who booked with our lines have not received quite as good an offer.

As mentioned, to keep TA's happy, Viking will move the final payment date, despite their perceived rigidity.

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

Interesting, since Viking lately has received much positive press over their voucher (125%) vs. refund (100%) policy for cancelled cruises.  They followed that up by adding that vouchers not used in 2 years convert into 100% refunds.

On these boards, those who booked with our lines have not received quite as good an offer.

As mentioned, to keep TA's happy, Viking will move the final payment date, despite their perceived rigidity.

So if @NavyCruiser books direct with Viking, they get to keep all his money, but they won't budge on the final payment.  But if he books through a TA, Viking has to pay the TA a nice commission AND they will be flexible on final payment?  So at the very least everyone should go through a TA when dealing with Viking.  But even then, the 'flexible' final payment dates I've seen here are still earlier than other river cruise lines offer to everybody...

@Host Jazzbeau, as bizarro as that sounds, that seems to be the way to get better terms from Viking.

And yes, I do agree that other lines offer better final pay dates.  We had to pay Viking in May for an October sailing.  They had the itinerary we preferred, and have NO complaints whatsoever about the cruise--loved every second of it.

Would I book with Viking again?  Yes.  Would I look at other lines?  Absolutely.  For example, until Viking came out with its "Longships 2.0" for the Seine, I wouldn't even think of doing the Seine with them. 

This was discussed on CC at great length----Viking tried to really tighten up the pay-all-well-in-advance policy but it got so much pushback (and was probably causing lost bookings) that they backed off.

This happened I think within the past year or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

This was discussed on CC at great length----Viking tried to really tighten up the pay-all-well-in-advance policy but it got so much pushback (and was probably causing lost bookings) that they backed off.

This happened I think within the past year or so.

Yes, but even after 30+ yrs of ocean cruise, we're pretty new to river cruising & haven't been part of this discussion "at great length".

Anyways, even though if this policy has been around for a thousand years before, they have never been through this current shut down environment, where they'll have plenty of time to re-think their policy to be more competitive as future bookings might not be as full as in the past.

Especially in this environment, they've just lost at least 3 bookings because of it, as we're looking elsewhere with our precious vacation $$$.

Viking is not putting a gun to anyone's head FORCING you to book with them.

If one find's their way of doing business not to their liking, then one is free to take their $$$ elsewhere.

Folks can spend their money any way they want, be it with Viking, Amawaterways, Scenic, etc etc etc.

If you their policies repulsive, then, by all means, do not book with them!!

I have been criticized on these boards (sarcastically asked if I was a stockholder!)  because I have defended Viking----I had a great experience with Viking and like them. 

I have nothing negative to say about those who prefer other lines--to each their own.

Shark, 

Pls calm down.

You cannot be a stockholder, since they are a private company.

We've also had a great experiences with Viking and also like them.

Just wanted to comment for them to improve One aspect of their practices to be further competitive with others...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Anyways, even though if this policy has been around for a thousand years before, they have never been through this current shut down environment, where they'll have plenty of time to re-think their policy to be more competitive as future bookings might not be as full as in the past.

Especially in this environment, they've just lost at least 3 bookings because of it, as we're looking elsewhere with our precious vacation $$$.

I really don't think it will matter much...they have gone through worse problems with upset customers, and still kept the year in advance funding.  I started reading these boards during major water problems in Europe, and Viking hadn't increased it's fleet.  So many (probably just because they have more clients than any other line) complained, yet they still seem to do a booming business.  Because of the advertising, it seems as if it's the only line most new people know, so they automatically sign up, and don't question the pay in full practice.

I would guess for every customer that walks away, another steps in.

5 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Shark, 

Pls calm down.

You cannot be a stockholder, since they are a private company.

We've also had a great experiences with Viking and also like them.

Just wanted to comment for them to improve One aspect of their practices to be further competitive with others...

@NavyCruiser,  I know damn well that Viking is a private company--I was called a "stockholder" in a sarcastic attempt to mock my defense of Viking.

I do not need to be told to "calm down".  If I am out of line, I will depend on the opinion of our moderator, Host Jazzbeau, to make that determination). 

If Viking's advertising strategy has led some folks to believe that they are they only river cruise company, then it is up to its competitors to up their game.  

I am just stating the obvious:  it's not as if Viking has a monopoly on river cruising, and consumers have no choice but to accept their "unfair" policies.  I will repeat my original, calmly expressed opinion:  if one finds Viking's policies to so odious, then one should book with someone else.  Clear and simple.

Edited by sharkster77

6 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Viking just called & said they can delay final payment from 16 months out to just 10 months now, so final payment due late Jan for our late Nov 2021 sailing.  

Sounds much more reasonable now...

I would be tempted to do some comparison shopping if other routes have a similar itinerary. See what their prices and final payment schedule looks like.

So Viking gave you some extra time to pay for your trip. Did you cancel your booking yet? Most people on this forum that start out complaining about Viking will find something else to complain about so it's best to go to another cruise line that fits you better so the rest of us can enjoy our cruise. 

And........................Viking changed the date just I said they would if you pushed back...................

@Pyroforyou, agree with you 1000%.  There are two kinds of people in the world, those who sail with Viking and love the experience, and those who would find a way to knock Viking no matter what they do.