100 more days

6 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Lmao!  I love all the guessing.....

anyways does anyone really think the cruise industry is any where near ready to take a chance on sailing and then having an outbreak?

Are you asking us to guess? 😃

Why does this surprise some of you? You act like you think cruising would start up sooner? Are you not in the real world and see what is happening around you?

It's going to be quite sometime before cruising starts up again, and again when cruising  does start up again it is going to be quite  a different experience  from before.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

If this virus only remains infectious on certain surfaces for up to 3 days (solid surfaces such as stainless steel) wouldn't the passenger rooms become noninfectious after 3 days of being unoccupied?

I read that it can remain much longer, but it's unclear how virulent it is after a long time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Lmao!  I love all the guessing.....

anyways does anyone really think the cruise industry is any where near ready to take a chance on sailing and then having an outbreak? Really dont think this 100 days means much. Whats going to matter is how everything evolves and then it will take care of it self. 

Myself I wont book a cruise till I actually see sailings resume. Im not floating a loan to rccl for them to use for refunds to others.

Not sure if the cruise are ready to resume, however reading these boards there are many who would sail tomorrow given the chance. Carnival, RCI and NCL makes no difference , pax are very optimistic.

Not very sound thinking , but to each there own.

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Why does this surprise some of you? You act like you think cruising would start up sooner? Are you not in the real world and see what is happening around you?

It's going to be quite sometime before cruising starts up again, and again when cruising  does start up again it is going to be quite  a different experience  from before.

We're just trying to make sense of this new CDC order. Besides, what else is there to talk about? 🙂

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

So true.  Just today the Oasis docked at Port Everglades to let off sick crew members.  I agree that they should empty all the ships and do a massive clean up.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241922051.html

Leaving right now.  On the webcam. So unusual to see the Oasis leaving without cruisers on the top decks waving and anticipating a great cruise week.

Edited by denamo
  • Like 1

RCI has a press release on thier corporate website on the CDC announcement vice the public booking website.

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/92/rcl-response-to-cdc-announcementnbsp/

RCL Response to CDC Announcement 

Friday, April 10, 2020

We are aware of the CDC order and are studying how best to respond to its provisions. Our global sailings are currently suspended through May 11, 2020.

6 minutes ago, denamo said:

Leaving right now.  On the webcam. So unusual to see the Oasis leaving without cruisers on the top decks waving and anticipating a great cruise week.

I feel bad for the crew confined to their cabins, even though they have balconies. Two weeks is a long time to be cooped up in a room.

1 minute ago, denamo said:

Leaving right now.  On the webcam.

Wonder where it's going...not a lot of ports taking cruise ships.  I live on the beach and can see a few them anchored off the coast of South Florida.  Sad ☹️to see ghost ships out there.  The whole cruise industry is going to take a big hit since now the earliest date they can sail seems to be July and they don't qualify for any stimulus money.  Either cruises are going to be very cheap or prohibitively expensive. 😢

2 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I feel bad for the crew confined to their cabins, even though they have balconies. Two weeks is a long time to be cooped up in a room.

It was at least nice to see the crew out on the balconies.  Some life on the ship and not a complete ghost ship.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, strathcona said:

RCI has a press release on thier corporate website on the CDC announcement vice the public booking website.

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/92/rcl-response-to-cdc-announcementnbsp/

RCL Response to CDC Announcement 

Friday, April 10, 2020

We are aware of the CDC order and are studying how best to respond to its provisions. Our global sailings are currently suspended through May 11, 2020.

Thanks for this.  Until they figure out how they will respond, they should start by taking down the May 12 date on their consumer web site.  People may think they can still travel on May 12th which is not going to happen. 

2 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Thanks for this.  Until they figure out how they will respond, they should start by taking down the May 12 date on their consumer web site.  People may think they can still travel on May 12th which is not going to happen. 

I see many businesses saying "closed until further notice" or "until the governor lifts the order," which is heartbreaking but probably for the best not to set false expectations.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

It's the corporate response.  Until they are told differently, they will follow the company line. 🙂

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

We are discussing the directive.  I don't think anyone is surprised that there is possibly an extension.  This is still a cruising forum where people are discussing cruising, for the most part, there are other forums that are discussing all the real world issues.  Discussing the possibility of cruising in the future does not mean anyone has forgotten the real world.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, denamo said:

It's the corporate response.  Until they are told differently, they will follow the company line. 🙂

I get it but it doesn't hurt to remove the page that states cruises will resume on May 12 when they know that is not going to happen. That information only misleads people.  They should replace it with something like "we will be announcing our restart date when it is known" or something of the sort.  Leaving May 12th up there gives people false hopes and could mess up travel plans and cause people much aggravation and potentially lose money. 

It will be interesting to see what final plan the cruise lines present to the CDC for the CDC to approve and sign off.  Seems they want the cruise lines to take responsibilities for any and all illnesses that could crop up among passengers.  Rather tough for ships sailing with 6,000+ passengers and crew.  Guess like I've seen posters comment on controversial topics, we'll just have to grab the popcorn and watch the show as it unfolds between the CDC and the cruise lines.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I get it but it doesn't hurt to remove the page that states cruises will resume on May 12 when they know that is not going to happen. That information only misleads people.  They should replace it with something like "we will be announcing our restart date when it is known" or something of the sort.  Leaving May 12th up there gives people false hopes and could mess up travel plans and cause people much aggravation and potentially lose money. 

Oh, I didn't mean for my response to come across as a dispute of your post.  It was meant to be more of a tongue in cheek response at how corporations work. We'll let you know when we change our minds, so what we said is what we said.  Peace out! 🙂

Just now, adidas5676 said:

Why would they? I would bet it's more likely we will see the next wave of cruise cancellations from the cruise lines Monday instead.

Be a bit surprised to see more cruise cancellations announced that soon.  They are planning to hold on to all funds as long as possible.  Thinking they will hold on until the end of the month before announcing any further cruise cancellations. 

Just now, denamo said:

Be a bit surprised to see more cruise cancellations announced that soon.  They are planning to hold on to all funds as long as possible.  Thinking they will hold on until the end of the month before announcing any further cruise cancellations. 

Could be, however now that they have made an official statement that they are considering their next options I'm not sure they have the luxury of holding out 3 more weeks.  Also, important to note that Universal Orlando has extended it's closure of all theme parks and resorts until May 31.  I would expect Disney World and cruise lines to at least extend until then.