100 more days

17 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I get it but it doesn't hurt to remove the page that states cruises will resume on May 12 when they know that is not going to happen. That information only misleads people.  They should replace it with something like "we will be announcing our restart date when it is known" or something of the sort.  Leaving May 12th up there gives people false hopes and could mess up travel plans and cause people much aggravation and potentially lose money. 

There really is no rush for them to update the webpage. Honestly who at this very moment is itching to book a cruise departing in May? I’d say a very very very small number of people. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, denamo said:

Oh, I didn't mean for my response to come across as a dispute of your post.  It was meant to be more of a tongue in cheek response at how corporations work. We'll let you know when we change our minds, so what we said is what we said.  Peace out! 🙂

I understand and I didn't think you were disputing my post 😄just think RCCI should have been more transparent to its clients.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SkierRobUMN said:

There really is no rush for them to update the webpage. Honestly who at this very moment is itching to book a cruise departing in May? I’d say a very very very small number of people. 

True, the majority know May 12 is not realistic but why keep incorrect info on a site even if it only confuses a small percentage?  The easiest thing and the responsible thing to do is take it down. 

2 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

Could be, however now that they have made an official statement that they are considering their next options I'm not sure they have the luxury of holding out 3 more weeks.  Also, important to note that Universal Orlando has extended it's closure of all theme parks and resorts until May 31.  I would expect Disney World and cruise lines to at least extend until then.

Wasn't aware Universal Orlando had suspended operations until May 31.  Wonder if they have to meet any requirements from the CDC?

BTW...I am hoping they announce cruise cancellations for all of May.  We're scheduled for the end of May for a cruise, and as long as the 70+ doctor note is required, we may have to reconsider cruising.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, denamo said:

Wasn't aware Universal Orlando had suspended operations until May 31.  Wonder if they have to meet any requirements from the CDC?

BTW...I am hoping they announce cruise cancellations for all of May.  We're scheduled for the end of May for a cruise, and as long as the 70+ doctor note is required, we may have to reconsider cruising.

I'm not 70 yet but am thinking of canceling my Singapore to Hong Kong Celebrity cruise in Feb 2021.  Not sure things will be back to near normal by then. Not a good time for International travel or any travel at all, unfortunately. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Thanks for the chart, the 2018 numbers show 60+ at 33% and 70+ at 14%.  The 50+ crowd represents 51% of all passengers.  

Now factor in all the passengers with high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, etc.  These affect all age groups.  Wonder what percentage is left then?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

Now factor in all the passengers with high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, etc.  These affect all age groups.  Wonder what percentage is left then?

Good point.  At a time when they are bleeding revenue and in dire need of future passengers, these policies might have to be revisited. 

11 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I'm not 70 yet but am thinking of canceling my Singapore to Hong Kong Celebrity cruise in Feb 2021.  Not sure things will be back to near normal by then. Not a good time for International travel or any travel at all, unfortunately. 

Sounds like a good idea.   

23 minutes ago, denamo said:

Be a bit surprised to see more cruise cancellations announced that soon.  They are planning to hold on to all funds as long as possible.  Thinking they will hold on until the end of the month before announcing any further cruise cancellations. 

NCL extended suspension for 4 days, now claim they are cruising again on 5/15/20.  Been waiting for RCI to cancel our 5/17/20 out of Amsterdam.  Airlines already cancelled our 5/29/20 flight back to the USA and RCI cancelled our 5/2/20 TA from Tampa to get to Amsterdam.  Hoping RCI starts up again after 5/17/20, no way we can take that 5/17/20 cruise, don't want FCC.

15 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

I don't recall high blood pressure or asthma being on the list.  Can you share the link where you saw that?

Royal's website states the following:

b. Effective Friday, March 13, boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

19 minutes ago, lovemylab said:

I don't recall high blood pressure or asthma being on the list.  Can you share the link where you saw that?

b. Effective Friday, March 13, boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

"Screened" meant take temp, not related to 70+ age letter except CV

Edited by ONECRUISER

18 minutes ago, lovemylab said:

No link - just google “chronic lung disease definition” and “chronic heart condition definition”.  Asthma and high blood pressure, which are both very common, are both named. 

Edited by pstone1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, denamo said:

While this reads, "severe, chronic medical condition", the note Royal wants the doctor to sign rewords this to say "all chronic illness"  That is a vast difference.  When you have cruisers who have lived with chronic conditions for a number of years, and be well managed,  the word "severe" being eliminated from Royal's required doctor's note and changed to read "all chronic illness" seems to discourage cruising of cruisers 70+ with various conditions.  Have yet to see anywhere if a doctor created note declaring patient is "fit to travel" would be accepted or Royal's specifically worded note exclusively.

The doctors note is for people over 70.  The clause I quoted was in reference to people of all ages.

I am not 70; however, I do have high blood pressure.  If they're going to refuse everyone with astmha or high blood pressure there are going to be a A LOT of empty ships.

30 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Well it's all over our news stations here that ships can't sail until July.  Royal can you hear me😇

Bad news reporting. If the CDC decides it’s safe to Cruise, they can change the order tomorrow, n May, in June or decide to extend it well past July. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lovemylab said:

The doctors note is for people over 70.  The clause I quoted was in reference to people of all ages.

I am not 70; however, I do have high blood pressure.  If they're going to refuse everyone with astmha or high blood pressure there are going to be a A LOT of empty ships.

Yes, I actually went back and deleted my post.  Thought my post wasn't applicable to the subject of this thread.  It's simply something we're having to deal with.  Didn't get it deleted before it was responded to.  Our dilemma is just that, our dilemma.  I'm just frustrated and splitting hairs. 🙂

57 minutes ago, lovemylab said:

Link to CDC web site:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/groups-at-higher-risk.html

They are both on the list regardless of age. 

Edited by mac_tlc

So in the cruise contract it states that if they are banned from sailing they do not have to give refunds or any type of compensation. They lines had all been voluntarily suspending cruises but if the CDC ordered then to stop does this mean people are just out unless the lines want to give them something?

1 minute ago, Midwestgal said:

So in the cruise contract it states that if they are banned from sailing they do not have to give refunds or any type of compensation. They lines had all been voluntarily suspending cruises but if the CDC ordered then to stop does this mean people are just out unless the lines want to give them something?

Geez, wouldn't that be something terrible?  I guess they aren't obligated to refund the customers but in our day of social media this would all but put cruise lines out of business for treating customers like that!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

Geez, wouldn't that be something terrible?  I guess they aren't obligated to refund the customers but in our day of social media this would all but put cruise lines out of business for treating customers like that!

That’s what it says in the contract...people are on the lines good graces I’m thinking. 
Our cruise was cancelled by royal voluntarily so I applied for a refund and I plan on getting it , don’t see how they can’t but anything is possible. I have not read the contract except up to this point but it’s states, 

d. Carrier shall have the right to comply with any orders, recommendations, or directions whatsoever given by any governmental entity or by persons purporting to act with such authority and such compliance shall not be deemed a breach of this Agreement entitling the Passenger to assert any claim for liability, compensation or refund.

I really hope this is not the case. I’d imagine a refund will be not offered but a fcc would be as they want people to cruise again

Edited by Midwestgal
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Because nowhere in the article does it say that the crew, or even passengers, cannot be disembarked, if medically required.  It says "ships are idle" and "there are 80,000 crew onboard".  I, however, read the actual order from the CDC, which states (can't copy and paste, so I'll type it out):

"1.  Cruise ship operators shall not be allowed to disembark passengers and crew members at ports and stations, except as directed by the USCG, in consultation with HHS/CDC personnel, and, as appropriate, as coordinated with Federal, state and local authorities"

So, anyone on the ship that is in critical medical need can be disembarked if the USCG is satisfied with the cruise line's plans for ground transportation and hospitalization as per the MSIB issued a few days ago.

Just because MSN says it, doesn't make it true.  And, having read the article at least 4 times, I don't see "condemned to die" anywhere.  But maybe I need better glasses.

Hello Chief. How are you doing. You may remember me from my previous postings as SG007. 

I have re-incarnated myself as 'datolim' after taking a long break.

Wow this thread is on fire and it took me an hour from where I left off last night to read the balance of the postings here.

I assume you have notification of replies to get to this reply.

Now to get back to business.

I said 'In the mean time how many may die in the ships at sea'

You said "condemn" people to "die at sea", and 'Let's not get overly dramatic'.

So who is being dramatic and who use the would 'condemn'

You can read the article again and again, but it is not glasses you need but a mirror to look at yourself.

You said 'Because nowhere in the article does it say that the crew, or even passengers, cannot be disembarked'.

They don't have to say 'cannot be disembarked' specifically but the conditions the CDC make is such that 'they cannot be disembarked'.

The reality of this is that the 3 big US carriers, CCL, RCL and NCL would have given their proverbial right arm if they can do this.

Instead what is the state that the 3 US carriers find themselves in today.

They don't know what to do with themselves in this crises and what is their future.

Their share prices are at a fraction of what it was last year.

And the stock analyst would tell their stock price is 'priced' as those facing 'bankruptcy'. 

Edited by datolim