70 YEARS OLD POSSIBLE RESTRICTIONS

Barrycat

Since I would be affected by a possible restriction on cruise passengers over 70 years old, a strong Windstar constituency, I am anxious to see if Windstar implements a policy. 
So far bot Norwegian and Genting have published such a restriction. Here is a screenshot of the detail from the Norwegian form:

__________< Medical Practitioner/Officer Name >__________________ hereby attest that __________<Insert Guest Name>__________________ whose name is given above is fit to travel. I deem the named guest to be in good physical health and free of any severe or chronic illness such as pulmonary and/or respiratory ailments and is medically fit to travel on the above listed cruise vacation.

i see a number of problems but primarily how doctors will react to signing such a form. Will it potentially subject them to liability if there is a problem? Are there degrees of severity of ailments that will be left up to the doctor or is simply the presence of an ailment a disqualifier?

With all of the concerns we all have about Windstar’s return to service this is just another thing to worry about, not that Covid 19 isn’t enough.

Many people who cruise do so because it is a bucket list or final desire item. You might be surprised at the number of passengers put off in ports for stroke, heart conditions, even broken hips, with numerous and severe underlying conditions. I always wondered why the cruise lines didn't have some sort of "fit to fly" rule.

1 hour ago, Barrycat said:

Since I would be affected by a possible restriction on cruise passengers over 70 years old, a strong Windstar constituency, I am anxious to see if Windstar implements a policy. 
So far bot Norwegian and Genting have published such a restriction. Here is a screenshot of the detail from the Norwegian form:

__________< Medical Practitioner/Officer Name >__________________ hereby attest that __________<Insert Guest Name>__________________ whose name is given above is fit to travel. I deem the named guest to be in good physical health and free of any severe or chronic illness such as pulmonary and/or respiratory ailments and is medically fit to travel on the above listed cruise vacation.

i see a number of problems but primarily how doctors will react to signing such a form. Will it potentially subject them to liability if there is a problem? Are there degrees of severity of ailments that will be left up to the doctor or is simply the presence of an ailment a disqualifier?

With all of the concerns we all have about Windstar’s return to service this is just another thing to worry about, not that Covid 19 isn’t enough.

Realistically, for this certificate to have any true value, then the full medical undertaken by a multifaceted qualified person (X-rays, blood tests etc), has to be completed quayside, on the day of embarkation, at the bottom of the gangway prior to boarding.

I wonder if they have seriously considered the ramifications of this?  What percentage of the cruise passengers would fit in this category, especially the higher end cruises.

My husband is a retired physician and I managed the office.  Doctors have enough to do without spending their time filling out forms such as this.  Let them spend their time taking care of patients.

• Like 1

Sadly, if people 70+ need a doctor certication fit to cruise, we will no longer be allowed to cruise. We would miss Windstar. We hope that Windstar does not require the 70+ certification. If not, thank you for the fabulous cruises. We had a great time.

It's very likely a preemptive move based on what they are hearing from travel insurance carriers.  I think it's going to become much more challenging to get travel insurance for people over 70 moving forward--and more expensive.

Expedition travel has required a doctors note for years now for 70 and over, I don't see this as being a big deal.  My concern is the vagueness of wording.  For example asthma is a pre-existing condition that many have which is well controlled.  What about people with pacemakers who go about their lives--I have a friend who has had a pacemaker since he was around 20 years old.  He's very fit, plays tennis almost every day.  

I do feel that there are probably too many very elderly people who aren't in good shape, need a lot of mobility devices, are on oxygen, etc. who probably shouldn't be cruising.  The very  elderly couple stuck on one of the Princess ships is a good example.  When I become elderly to the point that I'm unable to figure out how to get home from wherever I might be in the world without assistance, can't handle my luggage, etc., I'm not going to travel anymore--maybe I'll take those senior trips within the US and Canada where they do it all for you.  But take a world cruise or something along those lines?  Nope.

But I know many over 70's who are in better health and more active than some of the 30-somethings I know with all sorts of chronic health problems--diabetes, obesity, etc.

Edited by ducklite
  • Like 1

I think that the over 70 population makes up a large part of cruising, especially longer and more expensive cruises. I don’t think that the cruise lines want to eliminate this large group of passengers. The majority of passengers on our three world cruises were well over 70 years of age.