Age 70 policy

peggy1

On 4/12/2020 at 12:10 AM, Ocean Boy said:

RCI is doing its best to make sure it stays in the driver's seat. And that all contributes to the stress of having a cruise booked instead of the fun of the anticipation of having a cruise booked. I truly feel badly for folks. This just isn't what a vacation is about.

+1.

Maybe cruiselines hope people will cancel themselves because of the stress and uncertainty their late cancelling is creating.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pcur said:

Understood. 

My post above actually was from the HIPPA verbiage.  The scenario would be pretty far-fetched, because RCCL would hypothetically ask for confirmation of underlying conditions, and I would say you can't ask for that information as it would cause harm to me in some way. 

Then, they would just tell me to go away!  

They've got a devil of a problem, because they would be severely limiting their passenger count by doing this.  I think the doctor's notice dated within a week of sailing is a much better way to go.  

If your insurance company agrees to cover you I don't see why if you want to sail you should be denied by the cruiseline.

Insurance premiums are reflected in your medical declaration.

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, pspercy said:

So if you take blood pressure pills and are over 70 you'll be denied boarding ?

Under 70 and your blood pressure has been controlled by medication for years.

You are told this medication is for life,why should you be penalised?

• Like 4

I obviously could be wrong, but I think that if a person's conditions such as high blood pressure are successfully managed with meds, those folks won't be denied boarding in the future. The cruise companies need to have clear wording, fair to the docs.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 5:23 AM, grapau27 said:

Under 70 and your blood pressure has been controlled by medication for years.

You are told this medication is for life,why should you be penalised?

Probably because they'd rather you not die on their ship

When you look at the COVID-19 deaths, with rare exception, all, regardless of age had an underlying condition--heart disease, lung disease, HIV, etc.  Those with out any underlying conditions, again regardless of age, have recovered.  Most have had mild symptoms.  Even those hospitalized for serve conditions and having no underlying conditions seem to have recovered.  Given the testing done thus far, it appears that less than 10% tested have tested positive.

Thus age is not a major factor as once thought.  Perhaps down the road, cruise lines will adjust.

• Like 3

My DH is the healthiest diabetic I know on Earth. I'm hoping when ships start sailing again, he and all the other millions of diabetics aren't banned. I'm obese, BMI of 40, I'm hoping when ships start sailing again, me and all the other millions of thick 'n fluffy people aren't banned. I'm a stockholder, I'm hoping when ships start sailing again, the ships will be full, but with who?

5 minutes ago, irzero said:

I bet they normally have 2 or 3 problems as well. 

85% of deaths in italy have 2 or 3 conditions.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

How many patients with high blood pressure are you managing in your practice?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, irzero said:

I'm just referencing the figures published in Italy.

I wasnt disagreeing with you?

I was pointing out that people with high blood pressure probably also have more wrong with them than just hypertension. Especially since 48% of americans suffer from heart disease too if quoted figures are correct.

The whole point of managing blood pressure appropriately, and early in its course, is to prevent those complications from occuring.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, irzero said:

Isnt obesity also pretty common with high blood pressure?

I have athletes in my practice that I treat for blood pressure. I'm not going to go around in circles with this.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, irzero said:

They arent over 70 year old altheletes though are they..

Everyone I know taking statins is fat. This is why I'm asking.

This is in reference to the comment where someone said that just taking blood pressure medication should not preclude them from cruising.

I dont know why this is so difficult to explain.

I made the comment that controlled blood pressure over a number of years shouldn't preclude me or anyone else from cruising.

We pay a high premium for an annual cruise/medical insurance to cover any medical issue and this should be sufficient to cover us with the cruise company.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, irzero said:

Is your BMI under 30 as well?

You do realize that BMI does not take into account body composition, right? Muscular people will have high BMIs but it is meaningless. Percent body fat is much more meaningful.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

I obviously could be wrong, but I think that if a person's conditions such as high blood pressure are successfully managed with meds, those folks won't be denied boarding in the future. The cruise companies need to have clear wording, fair to the docs.

I agree.

16 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

I'm thinking the same thing.  I'm imagining a doctor saying something like, "so-and-so's medical conditions have been successfully controlled for X number of years with medication.  There have been no medical complications during this time, and the patient is cleared to travel."

A nice blanket statement good for, oh, 30 days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, irzero said:

They arent over 70 year old altheletes though are they..

Everyone I know taking statins is fat. This is why I'm asking.

This is in reference to the comment where someone said that just taking blood pressure medication should not preclude them from cruising.

I dont know why this is so difficult to explain.

No idea why I am even doing this but dinner is over and the news is boring....

The subject is blood pressure and now you are on to fat people and statins. You do know that statins are used to treat hyperlipidemia and not hypertension, right? And though lifestyle, ie. diet/exercise, does play a role in hyperlipidemia, genetics probably plays a far larger role.

Now, back to the boring news. I spent all day doing medicine and I need a break.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pcur said:

I'm thinking the same thing.  I'm imagining a doctor saying something like, "so-and-so's medical conditions have been successfully controlled for X number of years with medication.  There have been no medical complications during this time, and the patient is cleared to travel."

A nice blanket statement good for, oh, 30 days.

Yes, I think a good measurement would be no hospitalization required for X amount of time....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, irzero said:

Most people.

But the ones over 70 have all the health problems. Generally.

Every time I go to London one thing that strikes me is how many young people I see smoking. Makes me think health issues are not limited to the over 70's crowd there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1