Viking Ship Locations

Dukefan

It appears that all six of Vikings Ships are headed to the UK and/or Norway.   

Viking Star - currently near London

Viking Sun - currently headed to London

Viking Jupiter - currently in the Mid Atlantic headed toward Europe

Viking Sky -  currently in the Mid Atlantic headed toward Europe

Viking Sea - currently north of the UK headed toward Norway

Viking Orion - currently headed west under Australia (since Alaska is its next scheduled cruise site in appears to be headed toward Europe instead)

What do you think the plan is ?

Viking Sun is in Lisbon tomorrow for a technical stop, then to Portsmouth for 3 days to disembark about 200 crew members, whos countries will let them in.

Then she is bound for anchorage in the approaches to Oslo. Sounds like Christiansund (Sp)???

• Like 1

As an update, it still appears that all six of Vikings Ships are headed to the UK and/or Norway.   

Viking Star - currently in Tilbury near London

Viking Sun - currently in Lisbon

Viking Sea - currently north of the Bergen, Norway still headed north

Viking Orion - currently still headed west under Australia (since Alaska is its next scheduled cruise site in appears to be headed toward Europe instead)

8 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

Viking Orion - currently still headed west under Australia (since Alaska is its next scheduled cruise site in appears to be headed toward Europe instead)

Could it also be that they are heading to Singapore/Indonesia/Malaysia to drop off crew, who can't get flights out of Australia?

4 hours ago, Dukefan said:

Viking Sea - currently north of the Bergen, Norway still headed north

It heading for Kristiansund, the same town where Viking Sky was repaired after the Hustadvika accident🙂

23 hours ago, Dukefan said:

eog,

Good catch!  Thanks.

According to the local newspaper, the crew avoids the compulsory 14 days quarantine that foreign visitors must otherwise have. Of 300 crews, 80 will be left on the ship so it can be quickly put into operation when the authorities allow the cruise industry to operate again. The 80 persons left are not allowed to disembark and nobody is allowed to enter the ship. 19 persons have tested positive for corona in Kristiansund, so they don't want the virus onboard.

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2020 at 4:39 PM, Dukefan said:

It appears that all six of Vikings Ships are headed to the UK and/or Norway.   

Viking Star - currently near London

Viking Sun - currently headed to London

Viking Sea - currently north of the UK headed toward Norway

Viking Orion - currently headed west under Australia (since Alaska is its next scheduled cruise site in appears to be headed toward Europe instead)

What do you think the plan is ?

The following Cruise Critic article about the newest announcements from the CDC may give an idea as to why Viking has moved its ships, even though Viking ships were on the move before the latest round of announcements on April 10:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5265/?et_cid=3325051&et_rid=85377508&et_referrer=Boards_Million_Member_Newsub

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 11:28 AM, eog said:

It heading for Kristiansund, the same town where Viking Sky was repaired after the Hustadvika accident🙂

Sounds close,  but when I heard, they also mentioned outside Oslo. However, I can't find anything outside Oslo that sounds remotely close.

Just took this pic from VesselFinder. I had to highlight another ship (Sea Dream)  so that when I returned to "fleet mode" the tags for Sky and Sun wouldn't overlay each other. Thought folks might like it. If I could have, I would have liked to include the Orion. 

@eog would you please clarify your earlier post? I'm assuming that when the crew of the Sea docked in Kristiansund they were all clean. The use of the term "crews" in "300 crews" was simply a typo? What you meant was that of the Sea's 300 crew members, all but 80 have gotten off. And given the cases of covid-19 in town, the remaining 80 will stay onboard to prevent the possible introduction of infection into the ship. Sorry if I'm coming across like Madame Picky.🙂

08A9650A-BB0C-474C-BF49-6E53D5E47CA9.jpeg

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Sounds close,  but when I heard, they also mentioned outside Oslo. However, I can't find anything outside Oslo that sounds remotely close.

As you might see in the pic I posted, the Sea is indeed docked at Kristiansund. Decided to add this pic for you of just the Sea. FYI - Kristiansund is on the west coast of a Norway. There is also Kristiansand on the east coast. 

C1A9664E-DDB0-4891-B5B7-DCEC02E0085A.png

Let  me update but leave this pic. You were referring to the Sun not the Sea. My apologies. 

Edited by CharTrav

Just to confuse us, Norway has Kristiansund and Kristiansand. Both are ports of call.  Kristiansund is, as shown on the map above, on the western coast of Norway above Bergen while Kristiansand is on the southern coast between Oslo and Stavanger. Viking has called at both ports at one time or another.

3 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Just to confuse us, Norway has Kristiansund and Kristiansand. Both are ports of call.  Kristiansund is, as shown on the map above, on the western coast of Norway above Bergen while Kristiansand is on the southern coast between Oslo and Stavanger. Viking has called at both ports at one time or another.

I got confused by that at first. But thanks for the extra tidbit that both are used. 

On 4/12/2020 at 12:14 AM, Dukefan said:

I'm very pleased to hear this, although I suggest south of Australia would be more accurate than under Australia!

We enjoyed having her off Point Gellibrand, near our home, where we could send telepathic 'Stay safe' messages to the crew who looked after us so well over Christmas. We saw her at Station pier just before Easter but have missed her off the Point since then.

On 4/13/2020 at 5:36 AM, CharTrav said:

Just took this pic from VesselFinder. I had to highlight another ship (Sea Dream)  so that when I returned to "fleet mode" the tags for Sky and Sun wouldn't overlay each other. Thought folks might like it. If I could have, I would have liked to include the Orion. 

@eog would you please clarify your earlier post? I'm assuming that when the crew of the Sea docked in Kristiansund they were all clean. The use of the term "crews" in "300 crews" was simply a typo? What you meant was that of the Sea's 300 crew members, all but 80 have gotten off. And given the cases of covid-19 in town, the remaining 80 will stay onboard to prevent the possible introduction of infection into the ship. Sorry if I'm coming across like Madame Picky.🙂

08A9650A-BB0C-474C-BF49-6E53D5E47CA9.jpeg

Sorry, I'm not good at English as you already understand :-). I will try to clarify. Of 300 crew members, 220 have left the ship, 80 are remaining on the ship. The remaining crew members will do maintenance work so the ship is ready to sail when the cruise industry are allowed to operate again. According to a Viking Ocean spokesman, they thinks that Viking Sea will be harboured for at least two months.  Nobody is allowed to  leave or enter the ship  to avoid Corona-19 infection onboard the ship.

Edited by eog

28 minutes ago, eog said:

Sorry, I'm not good at English as you already understand :-). I will try to clarify. Of 300 crew members, 220 have left the ship, 80 are remaining on the ship. The remaining crew members will do maintenance work so the ship is ready to sail when the cruise industry are allowed to operate again. According to a Viking Ocean spokesman, they thinks that Viking Sea will be harboured for at least two months.  Nobody is allowed to  leave or enter the ship  to avoid Corona-19 infection onboard the ship.

Your English is quite good. I hadn't even thought it isn't your primary language. Assumed you'd been done in by the "helpful" autocorrect. The plural form of "crew" was the source of my confusion.  Thanks for the clarification!

I wonder if the fact that the UK is one of the few countries that still has no restrictions on the entry of overseas nationals has had any bearing on Viking's choice to send the ships this way?
It would give Viking more flexibility to get officers and crew back home if required (via the limited flights still going out of Heathrow and other UK airports) and potentially even getting replacements in if need be.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Forums mobile app

On 4/11/2020 at 10:25 AM, Peregrina651 said:

Could it also be that they are heading to Singapore/Indonesia/Malaysia to drop off crew, who can't get flights out of Australia?

That may be it. I didn't conclude that TBC destination meant Europe. Just a different version of To Be Determined, maybe C is confirmed.