Now for something completely different

On 1/10/2024 at 7:24 AM, NSWP said:

Nice meal Linda, lovely wine glass, Quality all the way..

I will be drinking out of a paper cup soon, with the packing being done re my move end of Feb, to Moruya.

Hi Les I’m assuming you sold your home.  Glad you are having the packing done for your shift to Moruya.  Professional packing makes a big difference to unpacking in new location.  Did you see resilient lady sail past?  I’m already planning my next cruise from

Singapore to Perth at the end of the year.  This cruise line will set new standards for other cruise lines in Australia.  It is so generous in every way - all inclusive - food 21 different eateries, free wifi, water, tea and coffee, generous time in port (2 overnights on my 11 night cruise), stays longer in port, great staff who all speak fluent English etc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Perhaps it would be best to have a second stop closer to Phillip Island. That way you could have a visit at Eden, stop at Mallacoota or Orbost for the night, then travel through to Port Albert or Port Welshpool for the night. You will then be at Phillip Island by lunch.

Thanks for this Mic and also @possum52 Leigh. Lynn actually said yesterday we should do 2 overnights on the way from Bateman's Bay to Philip Island. So we will see what we can find in the places you suggest Mic. We do want to see more of Philip Island and being we will have a car we can be pretty mobile before we check in to the hotel there. We will definitely get the Penguin Parade tickets well in advance. We will be bringing our Marino wool sweaters and light weight wind breaker/rain jackets. I'm having a hard time finding any of my touques so I may have to buy a new one. I should be able to find something with the word Victoria and some local landmark, or a Maple Leaf.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for this Mic and also @possum52 Leigh. Lynn actually said yesterday we should do 2 overnights on the way from Bateman's Bay to Philip Island. So we will see what we can find in the places you suggest Mic. We do want to see more of Philip Island and being we will have a car we can be pretty mobile before we check in to the hotel there. We will definitely get the Penguin Parade tickets well in advance. We will be bringing our Marino wool sweaters and light weight wind breaker/rain jackets. I'm having a hard time finding any of my touques so I may have to buy a new one. I should be able to find something with the word Victoria and some local landmark, or a Maple Leaf.

Good idea Lyle. Just layer up if the day is cool/cold as it can be in March but then it can also be quite hot. Our son and his family usually go to the Penguin Parade at least once a year and it doesn't matter what time of the year they go, it is usually cold while waiting and watching the penguins. I assume, without looking it up touques means what we call beanies - knitted caps like this - image.thumb.png.c6fd6b724d70508aeda463cf5bff147c.png

• Like 1

Just now, lyndarra said:

I had to Google "touques".😟

I actually thought it meant a chef's hat but didn't think Lyle would be wearing one at the Penguin Parade. 

• Haha 4

While that is a lovely touque Leigh and I like the Maple Leaf. I will try to find one with "Victoria" on it and a local landmark. It will get people wondering "where in Victoria is that?" I might even get one with a pom pom on top.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

Sadly a fourth person who was involved in the drowning incident at Newhaven, Phillip Island has died in hospital, Victoria Police have announced.

Apparently locals avoid swimming at this beach.  It’s not patrolled and dangerous.  Tragically, reportedly a rip claimed these people.  On a beach, green does not mean “go”.

Just now, Mareblu said:

Apparently locals avoid swimming at this beach.  It’s not patrolled and dangerous.  Tragically, reportedly a rip claimed these people.  On a beach, green does not mean “go”.

Yes Linda, it is a very dangerous beach. Only board riders who know the conditions should use it. It would likely be a rip that took them. I would hope there would be signs saying it is dangerous but in saying that our local life saving club where Rob and I are life members is always rescuing both adults and children from the mouth of the river located in our suburb. There are signs everywhere close by stating that it is dangerous and do not swim there. But every summer there are numerous rescues because either people don’t read the signs, don’t understand them or think it won’t happen to us. 

There was a local man who it is believed rescued more than 80 people by himself from around 1935 to close to his death in 1980 from near the mouth of the river. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

This is tragic, when we were in Hawaii we took early morning walks along the north shore beaches and the lifeguards would be on their quads posting the beaches for dangerous conditions. I sometimes wonder about the mind sets of people. Recently we had a terrible wind storm coupled with very high tides. This resulted in remarkable waves crashing over the sea walls in several locations, and there was the Mensa crowd walking along the sea wall. Any one of those waves could drag someone into the sea and slam them into the sea wall. There are many places to witness the ferociousness of the sea without putting yourself in peril, or endangering those who would be sent to rescue you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lyle you're going to really enjoy Phillip Island and the penguin parade. Nancy and I did it last November. In keeping with what others have said, the stands are right on the beach with the wind coming in right off the water - YES, it was cold. We went to a thrift store on the main street, I think it was a Vinnies, and bought blankets to bring. The stands are just benches so a cushion, like a blanket to sit on is a suggestion. Plus, one to wrap around you is not a bad idea. There are different ticket options. We bought the penguin plus tickets on-line well in advance. A little more money but you can sit right up close. Almost close enough to touch the penguins as they waddle by. The regular tickets have you in a grandstand that you can see the penguin march, but you are not right up close and personal. The picture below is an overview of the viewing area (Yes, that is a Wallaby) in the foreground). You can see two boardwalks leading to the beach the one going to the left leads to the general viewing area. The one that branches to the rights leads to the penguin plus ticket area. The seating is semi-circular and is partially hidden by the brush in the picture. You'll see in the picture it is a fair distance from the general seating. When the penguins come in from the sea, they will parade to the left as they come onshore and head to their nest which are in the hills that you see in the picture. So, literally are right in front of you, within 10-15 feet. In the general seating area, yes, you'll see them coming in from the sea, but they are a distance away. Hope the picture and explanation make sense. When we did it, they opened the gates at about 5:00. We got there very early and were already lined up before the gates opened. Nancy and I were first in line, as such we made our way down to the beach/viewing area and were able to sit front row. It is a little bit of a walk to the beach and the night we went it was very crowded. I'm guessing it is crowded most of the time. They do have a "schedule" of when the penguins will arrive. For us it was about 8:15 that night. So, yes, we sat for 3 hours waiting....it was worth every second. Pictures are allowed only up until a certain time when the spotters see the penguins starting to come onshore. From that point on, they announce no photos. Hope this info helpful.

John

IMG_20231116_161733119_HDR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

Lyle you're going to really enjoy Phillip Island and the penguin parade. Nancy and I did it last November. In keeping with what others have said, the stands are right on the beach with the wind coming in right off the water - YES, it was cold. We went to a thrift store on the main street, I think it was a Vinnies, and bought blankets to bring. The stands are just benches so a cushion, like a blanket to sit on is a suggestion. Plus, one to wrap around you is not a bad idea. There are different ticket options. We bought the penguin plus tickets on-line well in advance. A little more money but you can sit right up close. Almost close enough to touch the penguins as they waddle by. The regular tickets have you in a grandstand that you can see the penguin march, but you are not right up close and personal. The picture below is an overview of the viewing area (Yes, that is a Wallaby) in the foreground). You can see two boardwalks leading to the beach the one going to the left leads to the general viewing area. The one that branches to the rights leads to the penguin plus ticket area. The seating is semi-circular and is partially hidden by the brush in the picture. You'll see in the picture it is a fair distance from the general seating. When the penguins come in from the sea, they will parade to the left as they come onshore and head to their nest which are in the hills that you see in the picture. So, literally are right in front of you, within 10-15 feet. In the general seating area, yes, you'll see them coming in from the sea, but they are a distance away. Hope the picture and explanation make sense. When we did it, they opened the gates at about 5:00. We got there very early and were already lined up before the gates opened. Nancy and I were first in line, as such we made our way down to the beach/viewing area and were able to sit front row. It is a little bit of a walk to the beach and the night we went it was very crowded. I'm guessing it is crowded most of the time. They do have a "schedule" of when the penguins will arrive. For us it was about 8:15 that night. So, yes, we sat for 3 hours waiting....it was worth every second. Pictures are allowed only up until a certain time when the spotters see the penguins starting to come onshore. From that point on, they announce no photos. Hope this info helpful.

John

IMG_20231116_161733119_HDR.jpg

Wha a wonderful description and photo.  The tickets are not cheap, quite expensive really, but as you say, worth every cent (we used to say "penny" but it seems odd after almost sixty years of decimal currency).  Phillip Island is quite exposed, and each time we've been there, the wind blowing off the Southern Ocean has been bitterly cold.  Rug up, Lynn and Lyle;  it doesn't hurt to be prepared. 

As a motoring enthusiast, Lyle, you may be aware that there is a high-speed circuit facility on the island.  Our family all gave Mario a "BMW experience" for a special birthday a few years ago.  I dropped him off at the circuit and then filled in my day in Cowes (the main town).  When I returned to collect him, my heart was in my mouth as I watched a convoy of beemers whizzing around the track at what seemed F1 speeds.  He's still raving about it.  I think you two will have a lot in common to discuss.  We once visited the Ferrari headquarters in Italy.  After touring the museum, I left him to it.  He spent forever on the observation post just watching the F1s being put through their paces.  I enjoyed my book😉

• Like 3

Thanks Linda, this will be the second time we have been so close to an F1 race and not gone. We were in Belgium during race weekend but it would have cost about $2500.00 to attend because of the price of accommodation. The only room available was priced at $1300.00 for the 3 days (and you had to book all 3 days), normally that room would have been less than $400.00 for 3 days. This time we have to leave Melbourne the day of first practice. So near yet so far.

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Linda, this will be the second time we have been so close to an F1 race and not gone. We were in Belgium during race weekend but it would have cost about $2500.00 to attend because of the price of accommodation. The only room available was priced at $1300.00 for the 3 days (and you had to book all 3 days), normally that room would have been less than $400.00 for 3 days. This time we have to leave Melbourne the day of first practice. So near yet so far.

IMO, you are not missing much. I have been on a few tracks around Australia and the world but not at race time. Philip island, Albert park, Adelaide, Newcastle, Eastern creek, Bathurst, Monaco, and they just roads for me.

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Linda, this will be the second time we have been so close to an F1 race and not gone. We were in Belgium during race weekend but it would have cost about $2500.00 to attend because of the price of accommodation. The only room available was priced at $1300.00 for the 3 days (and you had to book all 3 days), normally that room would have been less than $400.00 for 3 days. This time we have to leave Melbourne the day of first practice. So near yet so 

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Our daughter in law works for the State Sports Centre Trust and her office is at MSAC (Melbourne Sports And Aquatics Centre) which is situated beside the track. She, in past years has not been able to work due to the GP as it is almost impossible to get to there because of barriers and security and no car parking. 

If we had one more day there would be track action. I was able to go to the Indy Car Race in Vancouver 3 years in a row in the early 1990s. We had paddock passes and I was able to meet some of the great names in racing. Mario Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi, Nigel Mansell and many more. I have 2 checkered flags filled with Autographs, including a young Canadian named Greg Moore who was tragically killed in a race just a few years later.

I did look into some track activities at Philip Island when we were planning one of the cancelled trips. There was a ride in an Audi R8, also a V8 super car. I thought about it briefly and then realized I had very little chance of even getting into either of those cars. It would be cool if someone was out doing hot laps. I haven't been near a live track for a very long time. Maybe I can at least get some F1 swag while we are in Melbourne.

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

If we had one more day there would be track action. I was able to go to the Indy Car Race in Vancouver 3 years in a row in the early 1990s. We had paddock passes and I was able to meet some of the great names in racing. Mario Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi, Nigel Mansell and many more. I have 2 checkered flags filled with Autographs, including a young Canadian named Greg Moore who was tragically killed in a race just a few years later.

I did look into some track activities at Philip Island when we were planning one of the cancelled trips. There was a ride in an Audi R8, also a V8 super car. I thought about it briefly and then realized I had very little chance of even getting into either of those cars. It would be cool if someone was out doing hot laps. I haven't been near a live track for a very long time. Maybe I can at least get some F1 swag while we are in Melbourne.

You really are an enthusiast.

• Like 1