Now for something completely different

On 4/2/2022 at 9:25 AM, MicCanberra said:

Hoping retirement becomes more enjoyable  for you GUT, I retired last year as well and am hoping this year we may well start getting  away for what we talk about here most.

Yes also hope retirement works well for you Mr GUT.

How is retirement going for you Mic? 

After our recent 2 weeks trip down south, I returned to work & 3 days later gave a months notice to take all my outstanding leave, which amounts to around 30 weeks [LSL & annual combined]. So commencing from 1-May, that should take me thru to close to end of year at which time I will 'officially' retire! I expect that I will from time to time still do some consultancy work for the company ( and perhaps some others), but no more day to day problems & issues - no stress!! 

That said, I feel a sense of relief to finally bite the bullet, but still a little concern about having enough cash to live on for the rest of our lives. But if not now, when??

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Yes also hope retirement works well for you Mr GUT.

After our recent 2 weeks trip down south, I returned to work & 3 days later gave a months notice to take all my outstanding leave, which amounts to around 30 weeks [LSL & annual combined]. So commencing from 1-May, that should take me thru to close to end of year at which time I will 'officially' retire! I expect that I will from time to time still do some consultancy work for the company ( and perhaps some others), but no more day to day problems & issues - no stress!! 

That said, I feel a sense of relief to finally bite the bullet, but still a little concern about having enough cash to live on for the rest of our lives. But if not now, when??

Best of luck for an enjoyable retirement Neil. Now you can take advantage of those last minute deals that come up from time to time. Every once in a while I feel like chucking it in but I'm a couple years away from "Retirement age" according to Canada Pension so I trudge on. Lynn is retiring on 06 Jan 2023 lucky her. She will have Canada pension, Old Age security and her pension from 38 years working in health care. She has also been asked if she would work casual for a different section of the Cancer center.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Best of luck for an enjoyable retirement Neil. Now you can take advantage of those last minute deals that come up from time to time. Every once in a while I feel like chucking it in but I'm a couple years away from "Retirement age" according to Canada Pension so I trudge on. Lynn is retiring on 06 Jan 2023 lucky her. She will have Canada pension, Old Age security and her pension from 38 years working in health care. She has also been asked if she would work casual for a different section of the Cancer center.

Lyle...Even if you receive a private pension which you paid for, you still get a government aged pension? Lucky Canucks !!

Not here, Lyle, I am nearly 74, paid taxes for 40 years and because I paid into a superannuation fund which was compulsory, I am termed a 'self funded retiree' and get nothing from the government.  I pay full price on medications too. Not right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Just back from our Princess cruise and Florida vacation.  There were a lot of Canadians and a hand full of  Aussies spending their pensions on this cruise.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Lyle...Even if you receive a private pension which you paid for, you still get a government aged pension? Lucky Canucks !!

Not here, Lyle, I am nearly 74, paid taxes for 40 years and because I paid into a superannuation fund which was compulsory, I am termed a 'self funded retiree' and get nothing from the government.  I pay full price on medications too. Not right.

We pay in to the Canada Pension Plan, and so does our employer. That is pretty much my situation. I have been putting money into what is called a Registered Retirement Savings Plan for the last few years but that isn't much. Lynn is in a different situation, she also pays into CPP but also has another pension through her work. She will also be able to purchase an extended medical plan with Medication and dental coverage. There are several other extended medical plans available as well, we will just have compare the premiums and coverage.

We also have a sizable amount of equity in our house and we intend to downsize and use that equity to lower or eliminate our mortgage. I think we will be comfortable but not posh, hopefully we can travel a bit.

• Like 2

I’m still a looooong way from retirement age and had planned to go long after it, but these rotten strokes said otherwise, already retired from a govt job a few years back due to my back problems, so I guess this is my 2nd forced retirement, still hoping there might be a third, but struggling a bit to see another career on the horizon.

53 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Tell me about it. 😁 Us too, but at least we qualify for the Gov't Health Care Card and get the subsidised medications.

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

I’m still a looooong way from retirement age and had planned to go long after it, but these rotten strokes said otherwise, already retired from a govt job a few years back due to my back problems, so I guess this is my 2nd forced retirement, still hoping there might be a third, but struggling a bit to see another career on the horizon.

I'm sorry that you have been forced by medical concerns to retire early. It's one thing to walk away willingly, it's another thing altogether to get shoved out the door due to circumstance. I do hope you can find some workable solution for your health issues that will at least give you a good quality of life.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Tell me about it. 😁 Us too, but at least we qualify for the Gov't Health Care Card and get the subsidised medications.

Your are lucky then, different when one is on own as I have explained before. You don't have to be rich to fail the income assessment test for the card. I have tried several times, for a single person...if over $55K - no card.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Your are lucky then, different when one is on own as I have explained before. You don't have to be rich to fail the income assessment test for the card.

I recall what you have mentioned previously about your situation. 😢 We are quite well-off and shouldn't complain.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I recall what you have mentioned previously about your situation. 😢 We are quite well-off and shouldn't complain.

!@#$%^&* No further comment - unprintable.

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

!@#$%^&* No further comment - unprintable.

I am sorry I don't know what you mean. Maybe you misunderstood  me. I meant that my husband and I (I don't mean to sound like Her Majesty) are quite well off and we should not complain.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am sorry I don't know what you mean. Maybe you misunderstood  me. I meant that my husband and I (I don't mean to sound like Her Majesty) are quite well off and we should not complain.

We should complain. We provided for our future and the government treat us like !@#$%^&*

Just now, NSWP said:

We should complain. We provided for our future and the government treat us like !@#$%^&*

I understand your point of view. My husband worked for the Q'ld govt his whole working life and had to pay super all those years. In our early married life, we could ill-afford that deduction from our pay packet.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I understand your point of view. My husband worked for the Q'ld govt his whole working life and had to pay super all those years. In our early married life, we could ill-afford that deduction from our pay packet.

SPOT ON ! For me it was 6% contribution  for 36 years, no more, no less. When I croak it finishes. Defined Benefit, I had no lump sum option.

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

SPOT ON ! For me it was 6% contribution  for 36 years, no more, no less. When I croak it finishes. Defined Benefit, I had no lump sum option.

My husband's super is with QSuper, even though he worked for the Feds for several years. The QSuper plan is quite good. On retirement he had a lump sum option but kept it with QSuper. The fund has performed very well over the years. A few years after he retired he converted the Accumulation Account to an Income account for tax purposes. When he dies, the balance goes to whoever he has nominated. My much smaller super account is also with QSuper.

I'm sorry that you have been forced by medical concerns to retire early. It's one thing to walk away willingly, it's another thing altogether to get shoved out the door due to circumstance. I do hope you can find some workable solution for your health issues that will at least give you a good quality of life.

Thanks mate, things could be worse, just every now and then I have to have a pity party over all the things I’ve lost.

On 4/5/2022 at 10:36 AM, mr walker said:

Going well, not looking to get a job or anything, looking travelling again, especially  in some of the restricted states and overseas.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 8:18 PM, NSWP said:

th.jpg.f31ff53ac61b7845ab818551b3238acd.jpg

We might give Donegans a go been there a 100 times, owners are friends of mine. You can have chips instead of the spud, also oysters, fish, pork, chicken. They got it all just like Ronnie Donnies, lol.

Idonegans.jpg.97f7ffb9cf101e4d1e5212129e6d91ea.jpg

Our favourite Batehaven spot, Les, for many years.  Now the boys have finally sold, our daughter tells us.  She posted the menu for the new restaurant on our WhatsApp the other day...looks really enticing, but no one will ever present steak at the coast like those Irish boys.  

Linda

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Our favourite Batehaven spot, Les, for many years.  Now the boys have finally sold, our daughter tells us.  She posted the menu for the new restaurant on our WhatsApp the other day...looks really enticing, but no one will ever present steak at the coast like those Irish boys.  

Linda

Yes, having golfed with Michael, and over 18 years frequented the restaurant probably monthly, I know them well. Yes, their steaks and oysters donegan were legendary.  They retired two weeks ago and new owner, with Italian theme. From reports supposed to be good. Will have to try them out.

Memories...Chef Shea with the tongs.

712576529_donegans2.thumb.jpg.3bf8f6518fce7a762e4bc0eb52d06ec2.jpg

Edited by NSWP

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Copping heaps of rain down here, some areas of Eurobodalla Shire on flood watch. I suppose the same everywhere on east coast of NSW.

Be safe Les. We had a bit of a blow and a bucket or 2 of rain the night before last. It was still windy yesterday but fairly calm now. We are hoping for calm seas on the Pacific next week. We board Viking Orion on Saturday in San Pedro.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Copping heaps of rain down here, some areas of Eurobodalla Shire on flood watch. I suppose the same everywhere on east coast of NSW.

We seem to be just catching the edge of it so the rain isn't too heavy so far. We had a really heavy downpour yesterday afternoon which flooded a small part Epping Rd for a while. Luckily we got home from getting our flu shots before the heavy downpour started. 

I'm hoping the rain stays not too heavy. My glasses frame broke last night so I need to go see what my options are. I was booked for an eye test on Monday but managed to get an appointment today, as long as I can get there.