Now for something completely different

13 hours ago, NSWP said:

Pineapple fritters were often available at the takeaways in Sydney, not so much these days. Now an old feed I liked was chicken maryland, crumbed chicken, crumbed pineapple and crumbed banana, retro. Rarely seen these days. anyone remember Cahills restaurants in Sydney cbd, they did a good one in the 1970’s.

You're going back a bit now Les, I can remember my Mum taking me into a Cahills for a feed of Waffles when I was a kid of about 8, and that's really way back, 1952.

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

We regularly buy battered fish and a scallop.  We only say potato scallop to differentiate from seafood scallops, both sold from fish and chip shops.  I'll check whether they have batter next time, Leigh. 

Marion, I think you will find that they are battered which is why in WA and NZ they are called potato fritters. Potato cakes, potato scallops and potato fritters are basically the same - covered in batter and fried in oil. 

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Marion, I think you will find that they are battered which is why in WA and NZ they are called potato fritters. Potato cakes, potato scallops and potato fritters are basically the same - covered in batter and fried in oil. 

Leigh

WA most definitely potato scallop.

Had difficulty with orders when I moved to Victoria.

44 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

WA most definitely potato scallop.

Had difficulty with orders when I moved to Victoria.

Sorry Adrian, I thought they were fritters in WA, perhaps in SA? Did you see the map on the link I provided above in post 797? It seems as though it is not universal what term each state uses. Did you ask just for scallops? My husband had the opposite experience in QLD as a lad on holiday, when he asked for scallops was given 'potato scallops', he wanted the seafood kind!

I found this online - 

In Australia and England, potato cakes in the form of thin slices of potato, battered and deep-fried, are commonly sold in fish and chip shops and takeaway food shops (milk bars). The terminology used in Australia differs from state to state. In Victoria, Tasmania, the south-eastern and Adelaide regions of South Australia, and the Riverina and the Murray River regions of New South Wales, they are referred to as "potato cakes". In the eastern and northern regions of New South Wales, Queensland, and the ACT the term "potato scallops", or simply "scallops" (and to avoid confusion, scallops eaten as seafood may be known as "sea scallops"). In the central and peninsula regions of South Australia and in New Zealand, "potato fritter" is most common, while in Western Australia and Northern Territory it is a mixed bag as to which term is used.

Leigh

55 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Sorry Adrian, I thought they were fritters in WA, perhaps in SA? Did you see the map on the link I provided above in post 797? It seems as though it is not universal what term each state uses. Did you ask just for scallops? My husband had the opposite experience in QLD as a lad on holiday, when he asked for scallops was given 'potato scallops', he wanted the seafood kind!

I found this online - 

In Australia and England, potato cakes in the form of thin slices of potato, battered and deep-fried, are commonly sold in fish and chip shops and takeaway food shops (milk bars). The terminology used in Australia differs from state to state. In Victoria, Tasmania, the south-eastern and Adelaide regions of South Australia, and the Riverina and the Murray River regions of New South Wales, they are referred to as "potato cakes". In the eastern and northern regions of New South Wales, Queensland, and the ACT the term "potato scallops", or simply "scallops" (and to avoid confusion, scallops eaten as seafood may be known as "sea scallops"). In the central and peninsula regions of South Australia and in New Zealand, "potato fritter" is most common, while in Western Australia and Northern Territory it is a mixed bag as to which term is used.

Leigh

I think we just called them scallops (with the o sound).

The maps are interesting.  Being a researcher , I would like to see the data broken in a few different ways. I would be looking at age use age and also internal migration.

So, I learnt many correct things growing up in WA — bathers, scallops, tuck shop. My Victorian born and educated children have a strange language alien to me.  

Their American mother has even more difficulties in communications at times.

By the way, I don’t like slices of potato deep fried in batter.

Edited by Docker123
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I think we just called them scallops (with the o sound).

The maps are interesting.  Being a researcher , I would like to see the data broken in a few different ways. I would be looking at age use age and also internal migration.

So, I learnt many correct things growing up in WA — bathers, scallops, tuck shop. My Victorian born and educated children have a strange language alien to me.  

Their American mother has even more difficulties in communications at times.

Yes I agree with migration, from state to state I assume you mean. We call them bathers too, tuck shop is usually canteen. What about milk bar? Icy poles? 

I did a bit of online research in the last little while on fish and chip shop menus in the various states. I found a couple in Perth who referred to them as potato cakes, but most as potato scallops, In Adelaide, it was a mixed bag with both potato fritters and potato cakes. Sydney, they were potato scallops, Hobart potato cakes and Brisbane potato scallops. And Melbourne potato cakes.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

9 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes I agree with migration, from state to state I assume you mean. We call them bathers too, tuck shop is usually canteen. What about milk bar?

we used to go to the deli.

Milk bars served milkshakes, ice creams and things like that. May also have other basic household stuff.

Milk bars also had spiders. How could I forget that?

Edited by Docker123

10 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

we used to go to the deli.

Milk bars served milkshakes, ice creams and things like that. May also have other basic household stuff.

Milk bars also had spiders. How could I forget that?

What did the deli sell? Milk bar when I was growing up was as you described and sold newspapers and magazines, may have also incorporated a small post office. My uncle owned a deli and made the most amazing corn beef and pickle sandwiches! He sold all wondrous cold meats and cheeses. All commonly sold in supermarkets now. 

Leigh

From the Betoota Advocate (some claim it is satire):

Data released by Woolworths self service checkouts has been released today, revealing that 90% of all items weighed in from the produce section are in fact unwashed potatoes.

The findings have forced dietary researchers to reevaluate how much starch is being consumed by Australians on a weekly basis.

“It’s quite amazing how peoples diets have changed since the self service checkouts were introduced” said Woolworths spokesperson Jimmy Oliver. “I guess potatoes are such a flexible food. Mashed, fried, boiled, roasted…Aussies really love a spud I guess”.
  • Like 1

Just now, possum52 said:

What did the deli sell? Milk bar when I was growing up was as you described and sold newspapers and magazines, may have also incorporated a small post office. My uncle owned a deli and made the most amazing corn beef and pickle sandwiches! He sold all wondrous cold meats and cheeses. All commonly sold in supermarkets now. 

Leigh

The deli sold everything, basic corner store. Cold meats, fruit and veg, cleaning and other household products, lollies, etc. Best were broken biscuits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Russell21 said:

You're going back a bit now Les, I can remember my Mum taking me into a Cahills for a feed of Waffles when I was a kid of about 8, and that's really way back, 1952.

Yes, Cahills went back to the 1930's I think. They wound up about 1980, something like that, they had a few outlets in Sydney CBD.  Great array of food for the era.

15 hours ago, possum52 said:

I thought they were potato scallops all over NSW. I found this link which you might find interesting Les -

https://lingroadshow.com/all-about-language/englishes-in-australia/vocabulary/mapping-words-around-australia/

Leigh

Thank you, saw the map, blue dots for potato cakes down south, must be Batemans Bay !!  Now Bernys at Batehaven, it is Potato Cakes, if you say potato scallops they will correct you, yet couple of other fish and chip shops in the area say potato scallops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

I found this online - 

Leigh

Thanks Leigh, so confusing eh, we must standardise the name, I christen them potato cakes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Docker123 said:

The deli sold everything, basic corner store. Cold meats, fruit and veg, cleaning and other household products, lollies, etc. Best were broken biscuits.

What we would have called a milkbar or just the shop or by the owner's name. We had two close to us, within a block or so. Only one is left and it is named the 'Hospital Shop' as it is opposite the base hospital.

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

What we would have called a milkbar or just the shop or by the owner's name. We had two close to us, within a block or so. Only one is left and it is named the 'Hospital Shop' as it is opposite the base hospital.

When I was a kid, there were 2 near us.  We referred to them by the owners’ names as well.

Our usual one was Panetta’s. Good range, good prices.  Helped that on the other corner was Ray Guelfi’s butcher shop.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Were you the original 'Milky Bar Kid' Leigh? 

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Were you the original 'Milky Bar Kid' Leigh? 

Nope, didn't wear a cowboy costume Les! It's amazing how memories come back from your child hood. My younger sister used to go and buy the daily afternoon newspaper for my aunt and uncle and after coming back twice with the paper, it was discovered she had spent the money on lollies and eaten them on the way back. She told my aunt, she dropped the money and couldn't find it. She didn't have that chore after that. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Nope, didn't wear a cowboy costume Les! It's amazing how memories come back from your child hood. My younger sister used to go and buy the daily afternoon newspaper for my aunt and uncle and after coming back twice with the paper, it was discovered she had spent the money on lollies and eaten them on the way back. She told my aunt, she dropped the money and couldn't find it. She didn't have that chore after that. 

Good one probably bought RedSkins or Jaffas or even a Violet Crumble Bar, perhaps a Coconut Rough?   My younger brother called the Violet Crumble Bar, 'Violent Crumble Bar' lol.

Just now, NSWP said:

Good one probably bought RedSkins or Jaffas or even a Violet Crumble Bar, perhaps a Coconut Rough?   My younger brother called the Violet Crumble Bar, 'Violent Crumble Bar' lol.

No, she just bought a bag of mixed lollies. I loved Coconut Roughs but the ones you buy now are so sweet, perhaps just my taste buds have changed. Vilet Crumble Bars could be a bit violent when you bit into it! Although not as bad as a Choo Choo Bar.

Leigh

• Like 1

Little Wangi at one stage had about 10 corner stores, selling all sorts of stuff, some mini supermarkets almost, others milk shakes soft drink lollies and just a few groceries, then a fish and chip shop, a pie shop, a butcher, all those little business now gone, one small supermarket and a take away. But back then most households had at best one car that dad drove to work so a corner store was needed for mum to pick up the necessities.

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Little Wangi at one stage had about 10 corner stores, selling all sorts of stuff, some mini supermarkets almost, others milk shakes soft drink lollies and just a few groceries, then a fish and chip shop, a pie shop, a butcher, all those little business now gone, one small supermarket and a take away. But back then most households had at best one car that dad drove to work so a corner store was needed for mum to pick up the necessities.

Sad to see all those old shops and servos closed up due to bypasses, new supermarkets etc.1644175518_roadhousekangyangy.jpg.2e6e88b4fc85bfc1d4d2c0377a2a6b52.jpgIs Kangy Angy Road House still there Mr Gut?

Edited by NSWP