Now for something completely different

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You shake it, best done in the shower stall just in case. 🤣 Most things don't need scrubbing, and those that do can be hand-scrubbed.I've been using the "plastic bag washing machine" when travelling for years, long before I even heard of Scrubba.

Oh understand now. I can't hand scrub because of issues with my skin so for me the Scrubba Bag was a great problem solver😉

16 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Oh understand now. I can't hand scrub because of issues with my skin so for me the Scrubba Bag was a great problem solver😉

I thought about getting a Scrubba bag but we don't do a lot of hand washing when travelling so haven't bothered so far. Mostly we've cruised on Princess so used the laundrettes, but now get free laundry as we reached Elite last year. 

55 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement, they really did help. Thanks also for the laundry tips, I'm in for the longer itinerary but I will have to work on Lynn. The Celebrity cruise we looked at added Bay of Islands and Hobart to our original itinerary but ends in Sydney instead of Melbourne so we will just alter the flow a little and do Melbourne and area at the end of our adventure and fly out from Melbourne with the connection through Auckland for our direct flight to Vancouver. We even have an extra year to save for the more expensive cruise.

Delayed gratification. The taste is sweet.

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Look at all my friends with status, I'm just a polywog in the status circle; my status gets me a free scoop of ice cream.

You're not Robinson Crusoe mate. I've only once had laundry done on a cruise and that was because of a Concierge perk of cut price bag of washing. We stuffed as much as we could in the bag 48 hrs before disembarking so as we would have almost none to do when we got home.

• Thanks 1

Okay I have just looked at the listings for 2022, the 14 day starts on 14 January and has Bay of Islands and Hobart. The 11 day departs 15  March, it misses Bay of Islands, Wellington and Hobart but stops at Eden. both cruises end in Sidney. I like the 14 day itinerary but what it's 2 weeks earlier than the original cruise in 2021. Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay I have just looked at the listings for 2022, the 14 day starts on 14 January and has Bay of Islands and Hobart. The 11 day departs 15  March, it misses Bay of Islands, Wellington and Hobart but stops at Eden. both cruises end in Sidney. I like the 14 day itinerary but what it's 2 weeks earlier than the original cruise in 2021. Thoughts?

I would be doing the 14 day. Bay of Islands and Hobart are both worth visiting with more to do than visiting Eden.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I thought about getting a Scrubba bag but we don't do a lot of hand washing when travelling so haven't bothered so far. Mostly we've cruised on Princess so used the laundrettes, but now get free laundry as we reached Elite last year. 

I do a lot of travels without laundry access so for me it is worth it. Though last year we did a road trip through the Baltics and 90% of our accommodation had a washing machine 😜 Scrubba Bag stayed packed for the whole trip 😝

28 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Definitely do the 14 day cruise. There are more things of interest in the Bay of Islands, Wellington and Hobart than Eden. Look back through the Aus/NZ virtual cruise pages to refresh your memory of what those places have to offer.

Julie.

31 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The 2 weeks won't make much difference. Still be very hot. Will have a few more children on, but not a big deal.

11 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I send my dress shirts to the laundry. All the frills and things just too much bother to iron myself.

We did that with DH's dress shirts too, and my linen pants, and anything else that needs serious ironing. I didn't mind doing the washing machine/dryer thing and folding freshly dried clothes but those ironing boards on ships are so small ironing anything is a real chore.

Julie

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Look at all my friends with status, I'm just a polywog in the status circle; my status gets me a free scoop of ice cream.

That'll teach you to cruise Celebrity instead of Princess. 😋

45 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

14 days,make the best of it.

If you can afford a suite you will get all the benefits of top tier.

Edited by Chiliburn

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Definitely do the 14 day cruise. There are more things of interest in the Bay of Islands, Wellington and Hobart than Eden. Look back through the Aus/NZ virtual cruise pages to refresh your memory of what those places have to offer.

Julie.

Thanks Julie, I was definitely leaning that way. I did recall the marvelous virtual cruise and thought those additions to our original itinerary were very good. I'm actually glad there isn't a "stop" in Melbourne. We will fly down to Melbourne after a few days in Sydney. Hopefully we can get down Batehaven for one of those steaks at the club.

46 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

You're not Robinson Crusoe mate. I've only once had laundry done on a cruise and that was because of a Concierge perk of cut price bag of washing. We stuffed as much as we could in the bag 48 hrs before disembarking so as we would have almost none to do when we got home.

We got our only free washing on a cruise ship when the line replaced the washing machines.  When we saw new washing machines on a wharf, we quickly filled bags of washing because we knew our perk would soon be over.  

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That'll teach you to cruise Celebrity instead of Princess. 😋

I think my "status" is so low that I would be hard pressed to get anything from any cruise line...Maybe a fridge magnet😉

Lyle, I'm syre Lynn will find that there is very little difference between an 11 day cruise and a 14 day cruise. Once you're on the ship and into the shipboard routine days sre onky marked by ports or at sea. I find I lose track of what day it is, it just becomes "tomorrow is <portname> or "yay, it's a sea day tomorrow". 

On the 35 night Hawaii/Tahiti cruise we did last year at the end of each run of sea days I had a moment of slightly resenting that next day would be a port day. It would interrupt my routine! 🤣 But, of course, once ashore I had very enjoyable days.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think my "status" is so low that I would be hard pressed to get anything from any cruise line...Maybe a fridge magnet😉

How many days cruising have you done on Celebrity? 

You only get fridge magnets, or other useless stuff, if you win trivia.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Actually on our last Celebrity cruise you didn't win the tacky prizes, you got given tickets for a prize draw at the end of the cruise. But that wadn't as bad as Crystal who handed out 10% discount vouchers with lots of conditions of use. At least Princess still give out the tacky prizes - actually some of them aren't too bad, we won little keyring flashlights which have been very useful. 

Lynn took a look at the itinerary and I think she likes it, now we need to find out how much it will cost. I think we were clinging to the original plan and she wasn't ready to let go. Now we need to find out how much it costs and if we can just transfer our deposit. Hopefully we can get the same cabin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lynn took a look at the itinerary and I think she likes it, now we need to find out how much it will cost. I think we were clinging to the original plan and she wasn't ready to let go. Now we need to find out how much it costs and if we can just transfer our deposit. Hopefully we can get the same cabin.

Good luck 🤞🤞

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hey I’ll take ice cream any day of the week

• Thanks 1