Carnival cancels NA sailings till June 27

jimbo5544

3 hours ago, DD fun said:

Any thoughts on when or if Radiance will be ready to sail. We are booked Dec 5 and wondering if we should change plans. All her cruises have already been canceled thru start of Nov.  Thanks

In theory, Radiance is delayed only because it hasn't been worked on since being sent off for refurb at Drydock.  If the shipyard can start work as planned, there should ("should") be no reason to delay further.

We are booked on that same cruise, so I am looking at that scenario too.  Not sure what we would do if our cruise got cancelled - might find another one around the same date, but that might be difficult based on sailings filling up after folks re-book their cancelled cruises.

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Carnival has now cancelled North American sailings thru June 27, including all sailings out of New York 

Piece meal extensions, as data continues to support it is going to be frozen to worse for another few months.

Even if economy starts opening up, deaths will spike and more restrictions will be implemented,   It will be a very long and tragic path to normalcy for cruising, 

I'm predicting 2022 before we get anything like 2019, need vaccine and majority of the world's population with exposure and anit-bodies, just like the "flu"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denverdonkeys said:

This is not quite 100 days from the latest CDC order, but maybe Carnival took it as 100 days from the first order and not the April 9th order? I was thinking middle of July, which would have included my July 6th cruise. We are moving it to 2021 due to my elderly parents' health, but I would like the OBC to come with it.

The 100 days isn't set in stone, since it's that or the expiration of the public health emergency or the CDC modifying the order, whichever comes first. So cruising could possibly resume before 100 days are up, therefore Carnival didn't want to commit to the full 100 days.

On the other hand no one would be surprised if the 100 days was extended either. So really the 100 days is just a random date to give as a general target based on their current thinking.

3 hours ago, Denverdonkeys said:

This is not quite 100 days from the latest CDC order, but maybe Carnival took it as 100 days from the first order and not the April 9th order? I was thinking middle of July, which would have included my July 6th cruise. We are moving it to 2021 due to my elderly parents' health, but I would like the OBC to come with it.

Just wait till the next round of cancellations and you'll get your OBC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgreeney said:

Paid $588.64  for a June 6 cruise.  It included free drinks anytime and a $780 on board credit.  Basically a free cruise with free booze.  In any event, I cancelled and requested 100% refund.  There are other good deals for later in the year, but I'm going to wait and see what happens regarding the virus issue.

Good luck at the tables if and when you take advantage of another offer.

3 hours ago, 48traveler said:

List of cancellations

• all ships sailings through and including June 26, 2020
  • All San Francisco sailings through 2020
  • all sunrise sailings through and including October 19, 2020
  • all legend sailings through and including October 30, 2020
  • all radiance sailings through and including November 1, 2020

48traveler didn't state his/her source, but I assume it was from Carnival. Forgive an ignorant question, but any speculation on why these specific ships/port are suspended so much longer?

Sunrise is apparently sailing from NYC based on other posts in this thread, so I guess that makes sense. What about the Legend and Radiance?

Perhaps SF has suspended cruise sailings from their port longer than other cities, though I don't know why that would be.

2 hours ago, Midwifelife7 said:

So, I'm confused. I received this e-mail as well.  It says my cruise has been cancelled. However, we are scheduled to sail June 28th, out of Miami, on the Magic.  According to the email, it says that they will resume sailing on 6/27. 

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Wait for the surge of phone calls to die down then call. 

Unless of course you booked through a TA, then I would call them ASAP for clarification.  But you do realize that they are currently inundated with calls from all of their clients.

And now I've gotten disconnected and tried to call back and got a message that says to try to call again later.  Most frustrating thing ever.  

3 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Unless of course you booked through a TA, then I would call them ASAP for clarification.  But you do realize that they are currently inundated with calls from all of their clients.

6 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

48traveler didn't state his/her source, but I assume it was from Carnival. Forgive an ignorant question, but any speculation on why these specific ships/port are suspended so much longer?

Sunrise is apparently sailing from NYC based on other posts in this thread, so I guess that makes sense. What about the Legend and Radiance?

Perhaps SF has suspended cruise sailings from their port longer than other cities, though I don't know why that would be.

Carnival. com

9 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Found this in another thread on this topic to answer my question:

1 hour ago, susancruzs said:

I found the following at the points guy website.   The line canceled all departures out of New York City through end of year.

Carnival Sunrise is the third of Carnival’s 27 ships to be put into an extended lay-up. Carnival already has canceled sailings on its 2,680-passenger Carnival Legend and 3,873-passenger Carnival Radiance through Oct. 30 and Nov. 1, respectively. The two latter ships had been scheduled to be in Europe this year.

Still not sure why SF was extended though.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 1

My sister, her daughter and two sons are scheduled to sail on the Horizon on June 27th. My niece is so sure that her cruise WILL sail. I wish that I could be that confident that all of this will be back to normal by then. Our October 3rd Horizon cruise has me concerned about whether to cancel or not.

Even if the CDC says the cruise lines can start up again, will the ports-of-call be cleared for us to visit? I just can't see some of these countries being able to say that they are ready for us. But if we have to stay on the ship to stay safe, then so be it. I'm so ready for a Muster Drill!

Our May 24 cruise on the Pride has been cancelled.  If I take the FCC and book another cruise, and the new cruise rate is less than the May 24 cruise was, what happens to the price difference?  Is it applied to the new booking as an OBC, or is it refunded to the original form of payment?  Or, can it be applied to yet another booking?

4 minutes ago, PC 462 said:

Our May 24 cruise on the Pride has been cancelled.  If I take the FCC and book another cruise, and the new cruise rate is less than the May 24 cruise was, what happens to the price difference?  Is it applied to the new booking as an OBC, or is it refunded to the original form of payment?  Or, can it be applied to yet another booking?

Seems carnival does it as obc.

I wish rcl did this, but rcl issues new fcc, if not used up forfeit. I plan on forfeiting some. 

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

The 100 days isn't set in stone, since it's that or the expiration of the public health emergency or the CDC modifying the order, whichever comes first. So cruising could possibly resume before 100 days are up, therefore Carnival didn't want to commit to the full 100 days.

On the other hand no one would be surprised if the 100 days was extended either. So really the 100 days is just a random date to give as a general target based on their current thinking.

Just more wait and see for sure

My june 21 cruise on the Freedom out of Galveston was canceled. I paid 2500 for a balcony. I rebooked on the Vista for the 27th for 1700 for a spa deck balcony. Plus I applied for their credit card for 200 off of that. So, I get the 600 obc plus the difference of the 2500? Will that go back on my credit or will I get more fcc?

2 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Piece meal extensions, as data continues to support it is going to be frozen to worse for another few months.

Even if economy starts opening up, deaths will spike and more restrictions will be implemented,   It will be a very long and tragic path to normalcy for cruising, 

I'm predicting 2022 before we get anything like 2019, need vaccine and majority of the world's population with exposure and anit-bodies, just like the "flu"

Thanks dr

I was sorry to see the shut-down extension announcement. I hate seeing all these businesses that are forced to stop doing what they do because of this mess. The "I told you so" people should bite their tongue, if you ask me. They're not helping matters. I'm confident that when Carnival does decide to return, it'll be with the health and safety of their passengers and crew in mind. The dates they announce to return aren't set in stone. There's too many factors at play here. There's a lot of people who need to understand that before they point fingers and accuse Carnival of acting carelessly. I've said it more than once, these cruise lines have people in place who are far more knowledgeable on this matters than we are and they are privy to a mountain of information that we aren't. Not to mention, they're in contact with the government to make sure a return can be done in a timely manner, but also safely. To those who raise questions about where cruise ships will go when they return, what island nations will be open to cruise traffic, etc., I have no doubt they will have worked that out ahead of time. It's not like they'll return to service and go blindly out into the ocean hoping someone will take them in. They've been scheduling cruises for decades. Have some confidence that they know what they're doing and they'll be prepared. For those who say you don't want to cruise right away, that's your prerogative, but stop attacking those who will. I, for one, choose not to live in fear of this thing. I know I'm not alone. If you aren't comfortable cruising until much later, you do you. But let others make their own choices without being berated for it.

I'm hoping that Carnival, and others, get to resume cruising sooner rather than later.

• Like 8

Finally got through to find out that the cancelled cruise email was sent to me by mistake and that my cruise is in fact, not cancelled....(June 28th)

Biggest mistakes I've made so far:  1.  Cancelling my original cruise on 5/30 before it was cancelled by carnival and rebooking for 6/28.  

So, now I have to wait....and any cruise next summer that would likely meet my families needs will already be booked by the time Carnival cancels OR Carnival won't cancel at all, and I'll be forced to cancel because really, who is going to get on a cruise ship on 6/28.....? As a healthcare provider, that seems ridiculous at this point.  

We're supposed to cruise out of Miami on July 12.  My dad paid the final balance on the cruise today.  While we're hoping things settle down by then, we're not naive.  We'll be disappointed if the cancellations go further out (as this was to be my daughter's first cruise),  but we value safety and health over cruising.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, railroader said:

My june 21 cruise on the Freedom out of Galveston was canceled. I paid 2500 for a balcony. I rebooked on the Vista for the 27th for 1700 for a spa deck balcony. Plus I applied for their credit card for 200 off of that. So, I get the 600 obc plus the difference of the 2500? Will that go back on my credit or will I get more fcc?

The $200 from the credit card is a statement credit so you are good there. Unless the rules have changed you can only get an extra $500  in OBC for a price differential. So in your case the price difference is $800, if they stick to the rules you will get $1,100 in OBC, $500 plus $600 and the extra $300 will not be refunded.

You can always request an adjustment to the policy when you call or upgrade your room again to a suite. I would upgrade to a suite if you can get it for the $300, it also keeps all your FCC in case you get cancelled and have to reschedule again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chipmaster said:

If 2022 there will be no 2019 normal. 

• Like 1