Information on how many covid 19 cases on cruise ships--Norwegian had only THREE total

GINNY L

On 4/14/2020 at 9:33 AM, cruisinmeme said:

Curious how they got these numbers.  I read an article weeks ago that showed the Bliss and Breakaway had two straight weeks of the virus. I believe it is the Breakaway that was still floating around with sick crew. This is a sugar coated report. As one poster said his case wasn’t reported because it was once he got home, as be willing to bet there were more.  Not everyone does cruise critic to tell their story, or maybe too sick to tell it.

BTW the article i read was from CDC reporting

Not sure about the counts, but the CDC report is https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-ship/what-cdc-is-doing.html

11 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

i think while we should be cautious, we should not spread fear mongering, and vilify cruises.

Neither of us who has posted here about contracting Covid-19 on our cruises has done that.

I get that you don't want to hear the truth and that it's easier to just believe what you want to believe. Sticking your head in the sand doesn't change the reality however. You can continue to believe what you want to believe, however hopefully someone will read our stories and understand that this is a REAL thing and that people need to be careful.

I am happy that in your county there are no deaths, but I live in the New York City tri-state area and we have had thousands.  I'm sure that's due to the density of the population - just like on a cruise ship when you have a lot of people within a small space. 😉

• Like 5

Just now, pcakes122 said:

Neither of us who has posted here about contracting Covid-19 on our cruises has done that.

I get that you don't want to hear the truth and that it's easier to just believe what you want to believe. Sticking your head in the sand doesn't change the reality however. You can continue to believe what you want to believe, however hopefully someone will read our stories and understand that this is a REAL thing and that people need to be careful.

I am happy that in your county there are no deaths, but I live in the New York City tri-state area and we have had thousands.  I'm sure that's due to the density of the population - just like on a cruise ship when you have a lot of people within a small space. 😉

yes some states got hit harder ,  did you actually get tested for it?   i have heard many  thought they had it but it wasn't exactly covid . one guy ,it turned out to be heartburn . since many had digestive symptoms . 

2 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

yes some states got hit harder ,  did you actually get tested for it?   i have heard many  thought they had it but it wasn't exactly covid . one guy ,it turned out to be heartburn . since many had digestive symptoms . 

As I detailed in my earlier post, I tested positive for Covid-19 when I returned home from the cruise. The letter from NCL which stated I had been potentially exposed enabled me to get a test when there were very few to be had in New Jersey.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

As I detailed in my earlier post, I tested positive for Covid-19 when I returned home from the cruise. The letter from NCL which stated I had been potentially exposed enabled me to get a test when there were very few to be had in New Jersey.

i see, well speedy recovery, seems you are doing well , well enough to argue with me, lol    cheers 

Pcakes I read on another thread that there was at least one case on the Bliss 3/1 cruise so it wouldn’t be surprising if you caught it on the Bliss.  Symptoms most frequently show up in 3-6 days but they can in 1-14 days.  Sure, you live in NY and may also have caught it on the way to the cruise or in the terminal, can’t rule that out either.  Glad you are on the road to recovery!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Pcakes I read on another thread that there was at least one case on the Bliss 3/1 cruise so it wouldn’t be surprising if you caught it on the Bliss.  Symptoms most frequently show up in 3-6 days but they can in 1-14 days.  Sure, you live in NY and may also have caught it on the way to the cruise or in the terminal, can’t rule that out either.  Glad you are on the road to recovery!

Thanks so much for the well wishes! 😊 I knew about the case on the March 1st sailing because NCL sent me the email below the day after I got home. 🙁

20200415_201252.jpg

Totally false and NCL knows those numbers are a lie.   

I got the virus on the Pearl the week of Feb. 22.   Am I positive I got it on the ship and not the airport or here at home?........YES.

Because the crew was coughing and hacking and WORKING.    All over the ship.   I noticed it when I too started coughing.   The ships are full of it passed on week after week from the crew that remains infected on the ship.   The crew who were cleaning the rooms, stacking the plates, rolling the silverware, making the drinks.   

The Asian crew brought the virus over with them when they returned from their breaks back to their home country after Xmas.   

Im doubtful the Pearl was the only NCL ship so terribly infected.   The whole NCL fleet is full of Asian crew members infected in their home country and then returning to the ships back to work.    

These numbers are just a lie.   Its despicable.   NCL knows the virus was wide spread on their ships.  The cough drops were all sold out, the Cruise Directors Staff, introducing the performers were interupted by a coughing fit on stage in front of a couple hundred.   

• Like 1

The cruise lines know that keeping the reported numbers down is important to how they are perceived.  As a result the large numbers come from situations where they do not control the testing (the Diamond, Grand, Ruby for examples).  Those were ones where the cases where detected on land and the the ships either stopped before they could off load or all of the passengers tracked.  The testing and reporting was not up to the cruise line.

Then you have a case like the Zaandam, where over 200 were reported to have flu like symptoms, only 9 were tested and confirmed.  So it has a Covid count of 9.  

Cruise lines are keeping their reported counts down on the ships sitting off shore by not testing, by classifying it as flu like symptoms. By just assuming that it is Covid, but not testing the ill. The counts only increase when they bring a sick crew member onto shore where they are tested.

That should change under the new CDC requirements though.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 2

Covid-19 didn't just happened on different cruise ships.  Folks (not necessary crew members ... rather, IMHO, anyone that was traveling to/from the ships could be the unknown carrier of the virus) bring it onboard, most being asymptomatic (as most of us recognized by now - it's a ninja & silent virus, deadly infectious and can remain dormant for far more than 3 to 4 weeks, as much as 5 weeks in extreme cases.  The virus (particles) remain airborne and can be active for up to 3 or 4 days (based on what we know) depending on the contact surface.   

Those Royal Caribbean crew members were sick at sea & diagnosed with the virus long after the last passengers disembarked and the ship undergone deep infection control & cleaning measures - just look up and follow the UK crew member's video blogging that tested positive after landing home, while his ship mates tested positive & had to be medevac/taken ashore)  There's a sad update to these crew members but "not important" for NCL folks.  

There are still 50,000 cruise ship workers stuck at sea on about 100 ships this week, some of them since January, unable to dock/tender and disembark to go home (and possibly won't for up another month).  24 ships have confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19 among crew members.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8226053/50-000-cruise-ship-workers-stuck-sea-amid-COVID-19-pandemic.html 

Food for thoughts - does anyone wonder (or know, I think not) how many airline flight crew and flight attendants might be infected ... I am afraid, it is a case of, don't ask - don't tell.   Now, who is in a hurry to start packing as soon as ships are ready to resume cruise.  We aren't and I know that several other P+ couples aren't either.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Covid-19 didn't just happened on different cruise ships.  Folks (not necessary crew members ... rather, IMHO, anyone that was traveling to/from the ships could be the unknown carrier of the virus) bring it onboard, most being asymptomatic (as most of us recognized by now - it's a ninja & silent virus, deadly infectious and can remain dormant for far more than 3 to 4 weeks, as much as 5 weeks in extreme cases.  The virus (particles) remain airborne and can be active for up to 3 or 4 days (based on what we know) depending on the contact surface.   

Those Royal Caribbean crew members were sick at sea & diagnosed with the virus long after the last passengers disembarked and the ship undergone deep infection control & cleaning measures - just look up and follow the UK crew member's video blogging that tested positive after landing home, while his ship mates tested positive & had to be medevac/taken ashore)  There's a sad update to these crew members but "not important" for NCL folks.  

There are still 50,000 cruise ship workers stuck at sea on about 100 ships this week, some of them since January, unable to dock/tender and disembark to go home (and possibly won't for up another month).  24 ships have confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19 among crew members.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8226053/50-000-cruise-ship-workers-stuck-sea-amid-COVID-19-pandemic.html 

Food for thoughts - does anyone wonder (or know, I think not) how many airline flight crew and flight attendants might be infected ... I am afraid, it is a case of, don't ask - don't tell.   Now, who is in a hurry to start packing as soon as ships are ready to resume cruise.  We aren't and I know that several other P+ couples aren't either.  

I saw reports from American and Southwest.  I do remember that one of them had around 400.  Do not recall which one of the two.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, npcl said:

I saw reports from American and Southwest.  I do remember that one of them had around 400.  Do not recall which one of the two.

Well, re Southwest totals it looks like it depends on who's speaking:

"TWU Local 556, the union for Southwest Airlines flight attendants, told WFAA-TV in Dallas that at least 600 employees tested positive".

The company, however, denies that, and released the following statement:
"Currently, far less than 1% of more than 60,000 Southwest Airlines Employees have tested positive for the coronavirus (COVID-19).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2020/04/08/coronavirus-american-airlines-southwest-workers-sickened-virus/2969220001/

American shows:

"One hundred American Airlines flight attendants had tested positive for COVID-19 as of Saturday, the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, which represents that airline's 27,000 cabin crew employees, the group's spokesman, Paul Hartshorn Jr.  confirmed to USA TODAY".

also

"On Thursday, Capt. Dennis Tajer, spokesman for the union that represents American Airlines pilots, told USA TODAY that 41 of them have tested positive for COVID-19".

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2020/04/08/coronavirus-american-airlines-southwest-workers-sickened-virus/2969220001/

23 hours ago, Vyhanek said:

Totally false and NCL knows those numbers are a lie.   

I got the virus on the Pearl the week of Feb. 22.   Am I positive I got it on the ship and not the airport or here at home?........YES.

Because the crew was coughing and hacking and WORKING.    All over the ship.   I noticed it when I too started coughing.   The ships are full of it passed on week after week from the crew that remains infected on the ship.   The crew who were cleaning the rooms, stacking the plates, rolling the silverware, making the drinks.   

The Asian crew brought the virus over with them when they returned from their breaks back to their home country after Xmas.   

Im doubtful the Pearl was the only NCL ship so terribly infected.   The whole NCL fleet is full of Asian crew members infected in their home country and then returning to the ships back to work.    

These numbers are just a lie.   Its despicable.   NCL knows the virus was wide spread on their ships.  The cough drops were all sold out, the Cruise Directors Staff, introducing the performers were interupted by a coughing fit on stage in front of a couple hundred.   

We cruised the Pearl on March 1 and didn't see any signs of it on board. We didn't notice crew coughing and hacking. And if they were passing it on week after week, I'm sure more passengers would have caught it. We weren't tested before boarding but when we boarded the Sun a week later, we had our temperature checked. They also instituted the buffet protocols, handing out the food and drinks. We haven't shown any symptoms so I guess we were lucky, or maybe we had it and didn't show any symptoms.

Is it possible you brought it onto the ship? I'm sure the cruise lines want to downplay any outbreaks they may have, but if they have a positive test they have to notify passengers from that cruise and subsequent ones. Someone on here (Pcakes, I believe) received a letter saying a 2 year old had it on a previous cruise and if you feel symptoms, you should get tested.

Thanks for the intelligent and informative posts on this thread, particularly by those who have first-hand experience.  Overall these have been the best-reasoned and persuasive accounts I've seen on CC (despite the thread's misleading title).

One aspect that should not be overlooked:  anyone who puts him- or herself at risk jeopardizes not only their own safety, but the safety of everyone they come into physical contact with, either directly or indirectly, including the healthcare workers we now so badly need.

Edited by latserrof
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

"TWU Local 556, the union for Southwest Airlines flight attendants, told WFAA-TV in Dallas that at least 600 employees tested positive".

The company, however, denies that, and released the following statement:
"Currently, far less than 1% of more than 60,000 Southwest Airlines Employees have tested positive for the coronavirus (COVID-19).

16 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

This may be a misrepresentation of simple math:

1% of 60,000 is 600.

So if the actual number is 500, Southwest could still questionably claim that far less than 1% of more than 60,000 Southwest Airlines Employees have tested positive.

Even if the number of positive results is 400, it would still be an alarmingly high number.

In addition to these, how many false negatives could there be? It could be a substantial number if it somehow could be ascertained.

How many employees didn't test positive yet will  test positive in the near future if they were retested?