Qm2 Refit.

transatlantic fan

This  Q&A on Cunard webinar dated Aug 25, 2020 has  a different answer than stated in the July 21st , 2020 Cunard webinar video, and much better news :

What is happening with Queen Mary 2’s Refit?

Queen Mary 2 will be undergoing a refit before her return to sailing. We look forward to sharing the details with our guests in due course.

Edited by MCC retired

13 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

This  Q&A on Cunard webinar dated Aug 25, 2020 has  a different answer than stated in the July 21st , 2020 Cunard webinar video, and much better news :

What is happening with Queen Mary 2’s Refit?

Queen Mary 2 will be undergoing a refit before her return to sailing. We look forward to sharing the details with our guests in due course.

Is this webinar accessible to the masses?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, 57eric said:

Is this webinar accessible to the masses?

Thanks.

It is accessible only by TA’s using POLAR .

Under Cunard extends Pause of Operations 
issued Aug 25, 2020.

Click on , Extended Pause in Operations FAQ 

(Listed on page7)

Thanks for the updates, @MCC retired.

The first thing I thought of when I read your post about that gap in Hamburg from Nov 7-12, 2021 was that could be another one of those 5-night charters out of Hamburg we've often been seeing about that time of year since 2013. Some of them have been those "Stars at Sea" voyages.

Edited by bluemarble

8 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Well, I suspect some ships will go to the cutters- BUT not QM2- even if the current Cunard goes down - there will be a new Cunard- I think- I hope.

Carnival Corp wouldnt sell Cunard and it wont go down without Carnival Corp going down and looking at the share price there seems to be some positivity and confidence around.

• Like 1

According to a list of promotional sailings posted by MCCRetired, it looks like QM2 will only be in drydock for 5 days.  There is a sailing 10/29-11/7 New York to Hamburg.  Next up is a 11/12 WB crossing from Hamburg.  Given that the line will have had almost no revenue coming in for over a year, the drydock will probably be limited to whatever is operationally necessary.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, BlueRiband said:

According to a list of promotional sailings posted by MCCRetired, it looks like QM2 will only be in drydock for 5 days.  There is a sailing 10/29-11/7 New York to Hamburg.  Next up is a 11/12 WB crossing from Hamburg.  Given that the line will have had almost no revenue coming in for over a year, the drydock will probably be limited to whatever is operationally necessary.

What I can add to the discussion at this point is that the gap in QM2's schedule for Nov 7-12, 2021 represents voyage number M138. It is possible to retrieve information for that voyage on the Cunard website at this URL.

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/find-a-cruise/M138/M138

That voyage is described as "Short Break, 5 Nights" with the itinerary listed as "Hamburg-Stavanger-Oslo-Hamburg". This is very similar to other 5-night charters from Hamburg in early November that we've seen in past years. That 5-night gap for Nov 7-12 has always existed in QM2's 2021 itinerary since it was initially announced back in 2019.

I think it might be reading too much into it at this point to conclude those are going to be the refit dates. We do also have MCC retired's comment earlier in this thread taken from an August 25 Cunard webinar stating:

"What is happening with Queen Mary 2’s Refit?

Queen Mary 2 will be undergoing a refit before her return to sailing. We look forward to sharing the details with our guests in due course."

12 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

5 days does not come anywhere close to a re-fit ......more like patch ,assess and report .  I am beginning to wonder if my 4 or so cruises to diamond status is going to happen .  

46 minutes ago, newjoisey said:

5 days does not come anywhere close to a re-fit ......more like patch ,assess and report .  I am beginning to wonder if my 4 or so cruises to diamond status is going to happen .  

I think it's already been established that this 5 day gap is for a music charter not a refit.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, FennoExpress said:

Any news on the refit? Has the QM2 arrived at Hamburg?

I don't have any news on when QM2's refit will be happening, but she's not in Hamburg now. QM2 remains laid up off the Devon coast southeast of Teignmouth.

Edited by bluemarble

Yes there was supposed to be a refit scheduled between M036 which ended in Hamburg,  and M038 that started in Southampton 

As bluemarble has said,  QM2 is still nowhere near Hamburg today. 

M037 Refit Nov 6 - Nov 28 2020

Nov 6, 2020 Hamburg, Germany

Nov 28, 2020 Southampton, England, UK

I believe in the past, there may have been a revenue voyage at the end of the refit period, possibly if all the work was completed,  repositioning from Hamburg to Southampton. 

I'm not sure what QM2 has been up to today. She departed her position near Teignmouth around 9:00am this morning, sailed to Weymouth (where QE and QV are) at 1:00pm but apparently only spent a few minutes there. She's due in Southampton at 7:30am tomorrow where Southampton VTS says she'll be until 5:00pm on Nov 13th.

FWIW P&O Azura which was also due fro a refit about now was alongside Mayflower Berth in Southampton for 10 days approx and has now moved down to QE 2 berth. She has been undergoing internal refit public areas and cabins  apparently so perhaps this might happen with QM2. This would allow a very short dry dock for hull and propulsion checks. 

On 11/10/2020 at 11:59 PM, sogne said:

FWIW P&O Azura which was also due fro a refit about now was alongside Mayflower Berth in Southampton for 10 days approx and has now moved down to QE 2 berth. She has been undergoing internal refit public areas and cabins  apparently so perhaps this might happen with QM2. This would allow a very short dry dock for hull and propulsion checks. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Anyone know anything about that major 20 year refit? I can't find any mention of it outside this thread. QM2 has a nearly 4 week gap in her itinerary late this year, is this all TLC or are there any changes to the guest areas planned?

On 11/15/2020 at 3:50 PM, transatlantic fan said:

Was driving past ocean terminal the other day, I did see a lot of people going onboard Qm2.

Maybe they are doing some of the refit while at sea.

They do a lot of maintenance while at sea, but the refit is a chance to do some more significant changes to the various parts of the ship.  When I was on her in October staff were expecting some reasonably significant changes and had been consulted for suggestions as to how the design or facilities of their areas could be improved - but back then nothing had yet been decided.