Queen Mary 2 - Maintenance Schedule and/or next major/minor retrofit?

JimmyLeg

Hi A'll

Does anyone know when the QM2 maintenance schedule and/or next major/minor retrofit?

I understand it had a major retrofit in 2016, and the ship has a (approximate) 40 year life span. Given she launched in 2003, could we expect another major 2025 - 2029?

QM2.jpg

1 hour ago, JimmyLeg said:

Hi A'll

Does anyone know when the QM2 maintenance schedule and/or next major/minor retrofit?

I understand it had a major retrofit in 2016, and the ship has a (approximate) 40 year life span. Given she launched in 2003, could we expect another major 2025 - 2029?

QM2.jpg

Was on her in September and she looks great to us. And we were on the year after the 2016 refit.

Many have to understand her constant sailing and the environment she sails in. Also the number of passengers that she takes on at each voyage. 

At the last Meet & Greet no mention of her looks came up at all. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Was on her in September and she looks great to us. And we were on the year after the 2016 refit.

Many have to understand her constant sailing and the environment she sails in. Also the number of passengers that she takes on at each voyage. 

I think this is exactly what people miss when talking about the "state" of the ship (which, as mentioned by yourself - I think looks great).

It's hard to do maintenance, especially external, when you're at sea for extended periods of time. Especially this year, 25 crossings (so far) - compared to a regular cruise ship that may be getting touch ups at various ports a few times every 2 or so weeks.

Edited by MylesS
  • Thanks 1

I do agree that considering her punishing schedule, the ship looks in very good condition. Cunard seem to place a premium on keeping her looking spruce, especially compared with some other lines with ships of a similar vintage.

But I also think it’s interesting to speculate on what areas might benefit from a ‘major’ refit period, as the original poster suggested. Thinking about the lifespan of the QE2, the eventual ship looked very different to the ship at launch - new cabins, refreshed venues, dining room additions, a magrodome. Even a new propulsion system! I don’t necessarily want QM2 to be innovative, but I think there’s a need to review the ‘offer’ every so often.

Sometimes a lack of maintenance effort can signal an area where change is planned, and I’d agree the spa looks like a certainty. The broken chairs in the Planetarium also strike me as odd, as that should be a reasonably easy thing to fix underway, not even needing a dry dock.

I don’t think soft furnishings will be a target soon after the remastering, and the restaurant proportions don’t seem to be unbalanced now Britannia Club is installed. But with QA offering more choice, that could be an interesting addition - perhaps a pan-Asian restaurant inserted somewhere low-traffic if it goes well at launch for Anne.

12 hours ago, Jonem2001 said:

I do agree that considering her punishing schedule, the ship looks in very good condition. Cunard seem to place a premium on keeping her looking spruce, especially compared with some other lines with ships of a similar vintage.

But I also think it’s interesting to speculate on what areas might benefit from a ‘major’ refit period, as the original poster suggested. Thinking about the lifespan of the QE2, the eventual ship looked very different to the ship at launch - new cabins, refreshed venues, dining room additions, a magrodome. Even a new propulsion system! I don’t necessarily want QM2 to be innovative, but I think there’s a need to review the ‘offer’ every so often.

Sometimes a lack of maintenance effort can signal an area where change is planned, and I’d agree the spa looks like a certainty. The broken chairs in the Planetarium also strike me as odd, as that should be a reasonably easy thing to fix underway, not even needing a dry dock.

I don’t think soft furnishings will be a target soon after the remastering, and the restaurant proportions don’t seem to be unbalanced now Britannia Club is installed. But with QA offering more choice, that could be an interesting addition - perhaps a pan-Asian restaurant inserted somewhere low-traffic if it goes well at launch for Anne.

50/50 agreement possibly acceptable.

But don't think a Pan Asian will be a permanent done deal. It was removed on the Major Refit of KC.

And on our last cruise, PA was not at all an alternative dining in the evening in KC.

Since as far back as I can count, the Planetarium seats are always breaking and still not 100% working. 

But she is special and she will be around for sometime.

On various old 20’s 30’s films of liners in port, esp. trans-Atlantic liners, they are often streaked with rust. As a boy I visited ships on the West Side of Manhattan and, while they had longer times in port, there were often signs of Atlantic wear and tear.

4 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

It's hilarious how people make excuses for Cunard. If that same rust or slew of broken theater seats were on a different cruiseline, folks would be singing a different song. 

Cunarders call it ""character".

• Like 1

A bit more wear and tear at the outside may be excuseable, broken seats, public toilet doors that seems to fall appart when closing or opening are not.

Anyway I can´t wait to board my favorite ship out there in April 2023 . For me it´s is the same with beloved family members, they may be a bit of a bother but one still loves them to pieces. LOL.

16 hours ago, techteach said:

@cruizergal70 Agreed. Fix the seats.

Currently on QM2 and talked to one of the tech crew for Illuminations (and other venues). The issue with the planetarium seats appears to be that the design was discontinued some time back and potential replacements would require ripping all seats out and replacing the whole lot. Then, in process of working through those issues, the company making the seats went out of business. It's evidently been a multi-year process to find a new vendor who can match design requirements, but they have now signed a contract. New seats are supposed to be installed starting early in 2023. 

• Like 4

I was on the QM2 in August and did see all the broken seats in Illuminations.  In a way they were nice because they were a great way to distance each other during the shows.  I look forward to seeing the completed repairs when I board again in April 2023.  Merry Christmas to everyone.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 4:32 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Likewise. I really don't get people who think it's close on falling apart. Was expecting it to be shabby given reports, but it was in excellent, not perfect condition. A bit of rust, but it's at sea 6 days out of 7, all year round (Some dodgy window frames on low down decks), but...

Oh, and the broken seats in Illuminations - only some under the Planetarium dome

On QA in 18 months time - that should be gleaming and spotless... 

On 12/14/2022 at 2:44 PM, cruizergal70 said:

It's hilarious how people make excuses for Cunard. If that same rust or slew of broken theater seats were on a different cruiseline, folks would be singing a different song. 

It's only the recliner seats under the planetarium dome...

And as the QM2 has the only planetarium* at sea then no other cruise line will have broken planetarium seats... so the comparison is somewhat moot

(*same shows are in the NYC Natural History museum)

We’re on QM2 now and I am not seeing any issues on Deck 9 or in the public spaces we’ve been in. Yesterday there lots of paint rollers put to use on the railings on the promenade. The wooden lockers on the promenade were being scraped for refinishing. If there were broken chairs in the planetarium they were not marked as such. The shower curtain is brand new and towels are in fine shape. We have a wonderful butler who is making sure we have tomato juice, lemons and limes. Our pre-ordered 2 bottles arrived while we were at dinner on night 1. I’m ready to book another TA for 2024.

• Like 4

I sailed on her in September and I had a look at what I posted about her after the cruise. I noticed quite a few issues, but specifically about my cabin the balcony was poor with lots of rust (it was a sheltered balcony on 5 deck), particularly the underside of deck 6 above (with all the pipework).  The area around the door handle on the outside was uneven with thick, multiple layers of repaint.  Inside my cabin the door to the balcony was rusty, with peeling/missing paint.  Handles (on the desk drawer and one of the wardrobe doors) were broken/hanging off.  The sofa was dirty and worn.  The bathroom smelt of the shower curtain (I think they all do).  I have added a couple of photos.  Beyond this, there were lots of issues around the ship which did detract a bit, but she is a hard working ship.  There was a lot of painting going on, but I think they are fighting a loosing battle so she does need a good refit soon.

IMG_20220915_085645_660.jpg

IMG_20220915_085704_068.jpg

• Like 2

I would say that Carnival and therefore Cunard is a bit hard up financial wise.

All due to the Covid crisis, of course.

A major refit would the good Mary a world of good. Shower curtains, for example are a thing of the past.

The signs of wear and tear are inevitable and in some place more obvious then in others. Would that stopp me from sailing my favorite ship- never ever!

Suite 9052 - The shower tile grout could use a little elbow grease, but mine at home is no better. See pic of our balcony door. They are all over painting outside. Can’t believe the ladies room outside of the theater only has one sink, and it could use complete remodel. But, everything has been clean. Won’t stop me from sailing on her again in June. (We’ll see if I can actually get this picture to upload from our cabin)

BFDAA152-0AB3-4A79-B2E3-565C43EDFDB9.jpeg

Hi all, 

I’m on QM2 right now-we arrive in NYC tomorrow. The ship looks great-constant maintenance going on, hot canapés in Commodore club-crew in good humor-lot’s of folks from Blighty on board as the ship goes on to the West Indies, menus much improved. All strikes me as ‘well'☺️

• Like 3