Let's go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise

On 4/30/2020 at 1:15 PM, boeckli said:

Is the weather favourable for a visit up to Mt Wellington?? Last time I was there, it was lovely down in Hobart and all the way up to the top. As soon as the shuttle bus turned into the carpark, the clouds rolled in - and stayed!! No views at all 😞 I was glad I had come prepared clothing wise, as it was freezing and blowing like crazy.

Had to be content with some shots through the bus window on the way down.

14_10.thumb.jpg.5e6c8898cf22087622dc9fb9423eedea.jpg

That sounds normal for Mt Wellington. Been there twice same thing happened. First time we went there, December 1974, it snowed!

Edited by lyndarra
typo

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

That sounds normal for Mt Wellington. Been there twice same thing happened. First time we went there, December 1974, it snowed!

First few times I was there it snowed, one in December.

Itinerary Item 16 – Scenic Cruising, Wineglass Bay.

We’re going to have a leisurely day cruising up the beautiful east coast of Tasmania. We’ll spend some time in Wineglass Bay.

I’m hoping someone will have some lovely photos of this beautiful part of Tasmania. I missed out a couple of years ago as the ship had to outrun a storm that was brewing in Bass Strait.

Decision Time

Do you want to continue this virtual cruise right around Australia? If so it will take another 24 days real time. There will be quite a few ports that I haven't been to so I will expect lots of input from everyone who has been there by sea or by land.

- If the consensus is yes then our next port of call is Burnie, Tasmania.

- If the consensus is no then we’ll have a sea day on our way back to Sydney.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Decision Time

Do you want to continue this virtual cruise right around Australia? If so it will take another 24 days real time. There will be quite a few ports that I haven't been to so I will expect lots of input from everyone who has been there by sea or by land.

- If the consensus is yes then our next port of call is Burnie, Tasmania.

- If the consensus is no then we’ll have a sea day on our way back to Sydney.

Yes please 🙂

Yes, please, we would like to continue.

I have to say that for almost a day I've been searching for the words to express the feeling I had at Port Arthur. Fortunately, it has now been expressed by all of you.  There is definitely an atmosphere; beautiful, somber, unsettling.  I'm glad we went, and am looking forward to some fully happy days now.

Wineglass bay is truly spectacular, our first visit was on Pacific Princess where we got way closer to shore than our more recent visits on much larger ships, most recently on Majestic Princess, on some trips they even anchored and offered shore tours, but only those booking with the ship tours were allowed ashore.

Frecineyt National a park is a tour well worth doing. One was by 4WD another by little four seater open ATVs. Truly worth a land tour just to visit.

I have to admit, when voting for an extended continuation, that I am not able to furnish any photos.  My camera is broken, lol. But if others can do so, as well as background info, I will be a happy sailor.  Loving the cruise so far.  And I'm not expecting anyone to start posting afterwards that they want a refund.....

32 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Loving the cruise so far.  And I'm not expecting anyone to start posting afterwards that they want a refund.....

I want to know if I can take a doggy bag (all the delicious food) when we leave but the biosecurity rules would put a stop to that.

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Do you want to continue this virtual cruise right around Australia? If so it will take another 24 days real time.

Of course.  That is, if you have the energy and interest in continuing.  No pressure.

Wineglass Bay was beautiful, we spent most of the day in the forward lounge enjoying the views.  It was nice to have a quiet day to relax.  We had our lunch al fresco, I had a chicken pie with a small side salad.  For desert, I couldn’t resist the chocolate soufflé with my coffee.  I was planning on catching up on my washing today, but our wonderful steward, saw my bag and reminded me of the included laundry service.  He even promised a delicate wash and cool temperatures.  

Really enjoying the cruise, wonderful food and service.

What a great day to be at sea. We spent the morning on deck watching the world go by. It's nice and sunny but a little cool on deck (even for this Canadian) no heater here. Good thing we bought some merino wool sweaters in New Zealand. We decided that this was a good time to enjoy lunch in Edo, excellent food to accompany the incomparable views. After lunch we decided to enjoy some cocktails on our veranda (complete with heater 🙂) So nice to see Tasmania, We must enjoy this, as we may never pass this way again.

One of the best parts of this cruise is the fact it is a bit of a mystery itinerary; only our extraordinary cruise director knows where we are going on any given day. This adds to the enjoyment, and the fact that we don't have to make a reservation for our meals we can decide last minute where we might want to go for any meal.

I had a thought earlier that it would be nice to have Alison Kraus do a show but then I got to thinking, that an even better show would be Alison Kraus, Suzy Boggus, Cathy Mathea and Mary Chapin Carpenter. They all have excellent solo repertoires and they also have hits singing together. No need for an elaborate production, these ladies just stand up and sing and they play guitar pretty well too, of course Alison is a wicked fiddle player.

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

What a great day to be at sea. We spent the morning on deck watching the world go by. It's nice and sunny but a little cool on deck (even for this Canadian) no heater here. Good thing we bought some merino wool sweaters in New Zealand. We decided that this was a good time to enjoy lunch in Edo, excellent food to accompany the incomparable views. After lunch we decided to enjoy some cocktails on our veranda (complete with heater 🙂) So nice to see Tasmania, We must enjoy this, as we may never pass this way again.

Did you see the garments made from possum yarn or a combination of possum and wool when bought your sweaters (jumpers here) Lyle? They are not as heavy but very warm. I bought some gloves and they are wonderful. Possums are an Australian native animal and are a pest in NZ so can be killed and their pelts used to make yarn. They are a protected species in Aus.

Leigh

I didn't see that Leigh. There are possums in North America as well, I'm not sure if they range as far north as Canada. I do have to be a little careful as I know I have allergies to some fibers. Mohair for instance doesn't like me. I will be keeping my eye out for a new Akubra hat as well

Thanks everyone. Onwards we go!

Gut, sorry but this cruise will finish in 24 days. Then I'll be taking short break. There might be another virtual cruise after that but I'm making no promises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I didn't see that Leigh. There are possums in North America as well, I'm not sure if they range as far north as Canada. I do have to be a little careful as I know I have allergies to some fibers. Mohair for instance doesn't like me. I will be keeping my eye out for a new Akubra hat as well

Do you mean opossums? Possums are native to Australia and New Guinea and introduced to NZ. They are a different species to the opossums (possums) found in North America. This is a possum below.

possum-by-wollombi.jpg (640×480)

Leigh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the clarification Leigh the Australian critter definitely has the cuteness factor, Funny how critters are more or less desirable than others by looks. Squirrels are thought of as being "cute" but in reality they are just rats with a better press agent. Koalas although cute are actually pretty vicious critters at times. Around here deer are great out in the wild, in a more urban setting they are pests eating all but a few flowers.