Canceled my cruise...so sad.

joteacher

Hi All,

I'm so sad. I canceled my August cruise on the Breakaway today.😥 Final payment was due and I just couldn't take the chance that the cruise wouldn't sail; additionally I didn't want to wait to buy airline tickets if it did go...so I decided in our case, it was best to just cancel until this whole coronavirus is over. My PCC tried to talk me into making final payment because they would give me an additional 20-50% toward another cruise if NCL canceled the sailing, but I just couldn't do it, not with unknown airfare prices.

I guess I'll just look forward to our Hawaiian cruise in June of 2022 unless I see something inbetween!

I hope I did the right thing...but it's done...

~Joanne

• Like 7

If it helps a random internet stranger thinks you did the right thing. I cancelled (and rebooked for next year) my Alaska cruise because there are just too many unknowns for me to be willing to put more money on the line. As my Grandpa used to say if you find yourself in a hole stop digging.

• Like 8

You can also put that money aside and on the chance that things are looking better, the cruise sails, and flight prices are reasonable, you can rebook for less money!
I’m with you though. We have had to cancel our big Europe trip we had planned in May. I keep watching the boards hoping you guys will start seeing some price drops...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, joteacher said:

I'm so sad. I canceled my August cruise on the Breakaway today.😥 Final payment was due and I just couldn't take the chance that the cruise wouldn't sail

I support your decision and wish I could do the same. Breakaway June 28th final payment was made in February.

• Like 2

Welcome to the cancellation club. I already cancelled two 2020 cruises and will likely cancel three more in the next 60 days. Disappointed definitely but not discouraged knowing cruising will likely resumed in 2021.

• Like 1

I certainly think you did the smart thing.  I only wish I'd not made final payment and bought the airfare and insurance only days before we all first starting hearing rumblings about COVID-19.  Its much better to keep your money in your pocket than to hope you will get it back eventually! 

• Like 1

I would have gotten off the Epic this morning and by this time I would be in the local watering hole regaling my friends with exaggerated tales of my adventures and conquests while they munched on the overpriced rum cakes I brought them.  

Ah, the good old days.  lol

And to the O.P, you made the right choice!

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 1

Cruise line cancelled our March cruise and I’m going to cancel May if the cruise line doesn’t first - not because I’m afraid of cruising but because I’m afraid of flying and it’s in Europe. I’m not flying until at least November. Going to see if I can find a good deal on another one I can drive to in June or July assuming ships begin sailing again. I agree - it is very sad. I’m itching like crazy to cruise and otherwise travel again.

We have 13 Night Caribbean cruise booked for November 2020 and hoping it will still happen but not holding out much hope. Final payment early July but unless there is a miracle will not make final payment. If things turn around after that we will just book last minute.

Here’s  hoping things get better soon, so many people suffering and dying.

Went ahead and made final payment on our July 27 Alaska cruise on the Jewel back in March, about the time the Covid-19 stuff was really getting ramped up. At that time thought by the end of July things would be leveled out all good to go. Not looking to promising at this point. Alaska will likely have to wait till next year. 

I just checked my NCL app and noticed they already canceled my March 2021 cruise in Asia on the Spirit, even though they have not cancelled my May 2020 Europe cruise yet. Cancelling a cruise a year away and not one next month?? Makes no sense!

34 minutes ago, GlamorousGirl said:

I just checked my NCL app and noticed they already canceled my March 2021 cruise in Asia on the Spirit, even though they have not cancelled my May 2020 Europe cruise yet. Cancelling a cruise a year away and not one next month?? Makes no sense!

I noticed all the Asia 2021 cancellations too.  It does seem a bit drastic, especially since one might expect ports in Asia to recover ahead of other areas since they were first "on the curve".  Possibly NCL is cutting back on the markets they operate in expecting to become a smaller company?  I've also been wondering what Royal will do with the Wonder.  We had planned to sail on the Wonder out of Shanghai next year and we have always loved the Spirit, even before she was refurbished.  The Spirit always had such interesting itineraries.

Edited by Travelling2Some
typo

2 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

The Spirit isn’t going to Asia until late 2021. She was supposed to be in Asia by now but NCL made the change in late February. We received the cancellation notice in early March for our two (b2b) Spirit Asian cruises on March 6. 

9 hours ago, joteacher said:

I canceled my August cruise on the Breakaway today.😥 Final payment was due and I just couldn't take the chance that the cruise wouldn't sail; additionally I didn't want to wait to buy airline tickets if it did go...so I decided in our case, it was best to just cancel until this whole coronavirus is over.

It was the sensible thing to do, but sad nevertheless. I cancelled my early September Breakaway cruise for the same reason. It was supposed to be the 4th of 5 cruises in 2020, but I suspect my January trip will be the only one of them that actually happened.

Today was the day I was suppose to leave on the Bliss for my 21 day Panama Canal cruise.  So sad.  Now my Sept. Carnival to Bermuda is cancelled.  Waiting to decide if I want to rebook or get my deposit back.  I still have the Getaway booked for. Jan.  If cruises start at least in Nov. I willsend in final payment.  If not I will cancel.

OP, good choice. As others have said, if things turn around and they find a vaccine for the world, then you can always rebook. 

I have a TA booked for December, a TA on the Getaway. I'm waiting to see how things go but suspect I'll be cancelling this cruise before final payment in August. I'm really sad about it too. 

11 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

The Spirit isn’t going to Asia until late 2021. She was supposed to be in Asia by now but NCL made the change in late February. We received the cancellation notice in early March for our two (b2b) Spirit Asian cruises on March 6

Sorry, I meant to say Spirit Jan-Feb 2021 Asian cruises.

OP--I know it was a hard decision...but you did the right thing.  Sadly, I will probably be canceling our November cruise. I have a few months before final payment..but it is not looking good.  Even if things settle down, I worry about the possible of virus resurgence in the fall.  

Just really annoyed, as  I have a good price with lots of extra perks which I worked hard on to get!  

Feel your pain my friend. Hope you have other plans.. or had a Plan B in such a case. maybe it would be better if you stay at home this year and not travel anywhere? Save some money and plan some better way to spend your cash? 2022 sounds much safer anyway, hope nothing will be cancelled there. I am also aiming for 2022

At this moment DW & I SHOULD HAVE been sitting down to lunch on the Encore somewhere out on the North Atlantic en route to Porta Delgada and other destinations ending in Rome on May 2nd.

Sigh...😕

FWIW to the OP from another random Internet stranger I also believe you did the right thing by canceling (or not making the final payment...same thing effectively).

Good luck on your next cruise booking & as they said in the Hunger Games, 'May the odds be ever in your favor!"

lol 😉

Edited by tomk3212

You did the right thing. We have still have time, but we're likely going to end up cancelling our February 2021 cruise. My husband just had a kidney transplant and is therefore immunosuppressed and we just don't feel comfortable flying or getting on a cruise ship without a vaccine.

We're waiting a bit in case something changes, but while I'll miss the cruise (and we missed this year's because he got his transplant), I know it is the only smart thing to do.

We paid in full when we booked for our end of July Mediterranean cruise but after the apocalypse hit I canceled 3 days prior to final payment date.   I’m beyond sad and will book another the day it opens back up.  Unless we are completely broke by then due to furloughs.   

2 hours ago, jaja said:

OP--I know it was a hard decision...but you did the right thing.  Sadly, I will probably be canceling our November cruise. I have a few months before final payment..but it is not looking good.  Even if things settle down, I worry about the possible of virus resurgence in the fall.  

Just really annoyed, as  I have a good price with lots of extra perks which I worked hard on to get!  

I know...we had some awesome perks as well as a great price!