New SS Promotion

DCCruiser57

SS issued a press release announcing a new promotion - book any cruise (except a World Cruise and Grand Voyages) before June 30, 2020 and get a reduced deposit of only $1,000 per suite plus a $1,000 SBC per suite.

Here the link.

https://www.silversea.com/other-resources/press-releases/2020/April/silversea-cruises-introduces-new-measures-to-offer-unprecedented-flexibility-to-travelers.html

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DCCruiser57 said:

SS issued a press release announcing a new promotion - book any cruise (except a World Cruise and Grand Voyages) before June 30, 2020 and get a reduced deposit of only $1,000 per suite plus a $1,000 SBC per suite.

Here the link.

https://www.silversea.com/other-resources/press-releases/2020/April/silversea-cruises-introduces-new-measures-to-offer-unprecedented-flexibility-to-travelers.html

Reading the T’s and C’s it’s not clear if this only applies to full WC’s and segments qualify for the offer.

Should have checked first, it appears that all of the Whisper 2021 WC segments qualify, the 2022 ones are not showing yet.

Edited by Silver Spectre

My husband and I are now debating whether to cancel our SS cruise in February 2021 following the new SS promotion. We paid a substantial 25% deposit in February 2020 for an 18 day cruise. This week we saw the promotion of US$1,000 on board credit per suite plus reduced deposit for new bookings and when we requested if the OBC could also be passed on to us in good faith, we were denied - new bookings only. We think this is unfair given that new bookings are being given exactly the same deal that was given to us in February plus they receive additional promotional benefits. Also, if we decide to cancel the booking, and rebook, we would not be eligible for the promotional offers. Very disappointed SS.

2 hours ago, Dimity said:

My husband and I are now debating whether to cancel our SS cruise in February 2021 following the new SS promotion. We paid a substantial 25% deposit in February 2020 for an 18 day cruise. This week we saw the promotion of US$1,000 on board credit per suite plus reduced deposit for new bookings and when we requested if the OBC could also be passed on to us in good faith, we were denied - new bookings only. We think this is unfair given that new bookings are being given exactly the same deal that was given to us in February plus they receive additional promotional benefits. Also, if we decide to cancel the booking, and rebook, we would not be eligible for the promotional offers. Very disappointed SS.

25% deposit? I had the same situation (an improvement in benefits) within the last year but the TA was able to get me the new benefits. I know times are different now but a good travel agent should be able to sort it out. Similarly, price reductions have been passed on in the past.

So can I ask please. We have a cruise booked in September, we paid in full to receive a decent discount. We all know that as yet we do not know if the cruise will go ahead?

Looking at SS new booking policy, am I right in thinking that if our friends said" we will join you on the cruise" and booked it now, they would get a reduced deposit AND 1000 dollars on board credit?  

If that is the case that would seriously upset my partner who loves OBC. 

I hope she dosent persuade me to cancel as we said we would sail if the cruise is on. 

I hope this dosent sound petty but it does seem unfair to me, you would think SS would give it to already booked passengers as an incentive NOT to cancel? Maybe I have misread the new promotion, any advise would be appreciated. 

Fudge, that doesn't sound petty at all.  I am in the same position, except my cruise is in October.  

Prior to March 24, when cancellation policies were not changing every three weeks, the one protection the cruise lines would offer is that, if the price went down before you cruised, they would refund the difference to you so that you would not be penalized for booking and paying early.  I believe that Silversea did have this policy, but it was irrelevant because no one ever saw the price go down as the sail date approached - it always went up.  

Everyone would consider the OBC to be an adjustment to the cost of a cruise, although the line could argue that it is not an adjustment to the price.  I plan to contact my cruise consultant about it, the only question is when.  As you note, cruises this fall may be cancelled anyway, so the OBC would be moot.

We have always booked and paid in full to gain best price promise from Silversea over our 20+ years of cruising with SS.In our experience the best price policy when booking has related to the basic price of the cruise which in fairness has usually increased between booking and sailing.The annoying subject of adding OBC ,free excursions ,

free dining in La Dame as incentives to make a booking as the cruise approaches and not to apply these extras to bookings made up to 18 months ago is the way SS choose to operate despite frequent complaints from regular SS cruisers who always book very early and pay-in full.

That is so frustrating! I contacted our TA today to see if SS will offer any OBC towards our cruise, they will contact SS on Monday, will report back here with the result, I am not holding my breath!

9 hours ago, fudge said:

Looking at SS new booking policy, am I right in thinking that if our friends said" we will join you on the cruise" and booked it now, they would get a reduced deposit AND 1000 dollars on board credit?

Yes, that is how it would work.  Your friends would get the reduced deposit and $1K OBC. 

But, for proper comparison, don't forget to consider the cruise fare (and airfare if you booked via SS) costs.  In most situations in the past, when these OBC's are rolled out by SS, they've already raised the cruise fare and airfare to offset what appears to be a "new" benefit to those with prior bookings.

2 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

...if the price went down before you cruised, they would refund the difference to you so that you would not be penalized for booking and paying early.  I believe that Silversea did have this policy, but it was irrelevant because no one ever saw the price go down as the sail date approached - it always went up.  

Everyone would consider the OBC to be an adjustment to the cost of a cruise, although the line could argue that it is not an adjustment to the price.  I plan to contact my cruise consultant about it, the only question is when.  As you note, cruises this fall may be cancelled anyway, so the OBC would be moot.

True.  It's called "Silver Privilege" fare on SS, I believe. 

Ever since SS announced the fare promise years and years ago, it was a way for them to roll out additional promotional enticements if a particular voyage wasn't selling well in order to stimulate demand, but not have to lower the actual cruise fare.  And, remember, if SS ever reduces the cruise fare, just because they take such action doesn't mean all prior bookings receive a credit to reduce the previously paid cruise fare to the new price.  It is only given to those who submit a claim for compensation.  So, it sometimes pays to track the price of one's particular voyage, just in case.  

2 hours ago, brimary said:

...is the way SS choose to operate despite frequent complaints from regular SS cruisers who always book very early and pay-in full.

EXACTLY!

Much as I like to get the best deal possible, I don't think SS's approach is particularly unfair. Think about buying a new car: there are people who buy as soon as the new model year is rolled out, and there are those (like me) who wait until the end of the year to try to get a better price or free upgrades. (I actually bought a car on Black Friday recently!) The people who buy early feel happy because they have the newest thing locked in at a price they are willing to pay. They would never think to come back to the dealer in December and ask for a price match. The people who buy late in the year are willing to take the risk that they won't be able to get what they want, and they might be fence-sitters who can't be sure about buying a new car until the deals get sweeter. I think cruise purchasers might fall into similar camps. So of course SS will offer incentives to fill those last suites, knowing there is a large group of people who are happy to buy in advance to lock in what they believe are low initial prices. The lenient cancellation policy removes some of the sting of not getting what the late-bookers get.

I do wonder if SS will start reducing prices over the next couple of years. It seems inevitable that ships won't fill easily, and there's only so much incentive that OBC provides (especially for people who travel on expedition ships, where there's little to spend that money on). It will be interesting to see if the no-discounted-fares approach continues.

Edited by FauxNom

1 hour ago, FauxNom said:

I do wonder if SS will start reducing prices over the next couple of years.

It will be interesting to see if the no-discounted-fares approach continues.

IMO, it's incumbent on future bookings.  I've read a half-dozen Wall Street research reports this week and the number of cancelled bookings that have rebooked is high across the three major firms.  From my perspective, really, really high with some figures quoting a two-thirds rebook rate.  The airlines can only drool at such high rebook rates.  So, until passengers demand a refund instead of a FCC, I think fares will be stable, relatively speaking, while in the meantime we may see more gimmicky promotions to try and get passengers to book a new voyage.  

With the above said, I have no idea what the rebook rates are for SS.  I do know RCL states SS only represents 2% of their revenue.  But, I have a feeling their profit punches above their revenue weighting.  We'll get SS's take very soon on 2022 cruise fares as SS typically extends their classic fleet schedule early to mid-May.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Dimity,

Are you saying the suite and voyage you booked is the exact same price today as when you put your deposit down?

The exact same price and inclusions as when we put down our deposit.

1 hour ago, Dimity said:

The exact same price and inclusions as when we put down our deposit.

Thanks for the clarification Dimity.  If it were me, I’d cancel for sure.  And then, rebook with another TA.  

I think once your current agent realizes you are seriously going to cancel, you’ll be amazed how the new inclusion magically become available to you.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Thanks for the clarification Dimity.  If it were me, I’d cancel for sure.  And then, rebook with another TA.  

I think once your current agent realizes you are seriously going to cancel, you’ll be amazed how the new inclusion magically become available to you.

Good Luck!

I inquired about our moon trip and was told it was for new only. If rebooked would lose obc & early booking etc. it’s hard to buck the system. 

• Like 1

It is clear from the terms and conditions that the new "Double Bonus" promotion does not apply when one cancels and re-books the same cruise.

For some it may make sense to cancel their existing booking and book a different Silversea cruise under the new promotion.  That likely depends on whether the additional $1,000 OBC is worth changing dates, itineraries or ships. 

For everyone else, particularly for those who really enjoy cruising and want to invest in and support Silversea, may I suggest  that this is a good opportunity to book another cruise.  Yep, you heard me right.  An additional cruise. 

I believe that if the cruise industry is going to survive and continue to provide us the travel opportunities we enjoy (while implementing appropriate and effective health, safety and sanitation safeguards), we who have enjoyed cruise travel should be at the front of line when it is time to sail again.  After all, if the vast majority of cruise regulars decide to give up on future cruise travel due to our fears of the unknown future, then the likelihood that the cruise industry survives is greatly diminished.  If we are unwilling to book, do we really expect those who aren't regular cruise passengers to do so?  Repeat loyal business is going to be even more important going forward.

Many of us have been blessed with the financial means to enjoy luxury cruise travel as something other than a "once in a lifetime trip."  So for us in particular, the risk of simply booking is minimal.  Just be certain to purchase travel insurance at the time of booking (as you should anyway) and put the trip on your Mastercard or VISA** and you are well protected should the unfortunate event of insolvency and shutdown occur.  Then as the cruise draws near, if you are still so concerned about COVID that you are unwilling to sail, just cancel at least 121 days in advance and all you have lost is $200 which will be available as FCC should you regain confidence within the next year.   (And for 2020 sailings, you can cancel at least 48 hours in advance and receive a full refund in the form of a FCC).

In my view, that is a small "investment" in an industry which many of us hope will not just survive, but thrive, all while protecting the health and safety of its passengers and crew and those who live and work at the various ports of call.  And even more importantly, it is an investment in the people of Silversea.  I've read the reviews and I've seen the live reports and blogs...I know that those of you who are loyal Silversea passengers appreciate the men and women of Silversea, serving both on-board and ashore. 

Full disclosure, please forgive me for what are perhaps selfish motivations....as a recent retiree I have been looking forward to regularly enjoying luxury cruise travel on Silversea! 

**(Mastercard and VISA provide enhanced protection for services not received as promised when disputed within 120 days of the date service was to have been performed as long as it is within 540 days of the date of the initial transaction.)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

IMO, it's incumbent on future bookings.  I've read a half-dozen Wall Street research reports this week and the number of cancelled bookings that have rebooked is high across the three major firms.  From my perspective, really, really high with some figures quoting a two-thirds rebook rate.  The airlines can only drool at such high rebook rates.  So, until passengers demand a refund instead of a FCC, I think fares will be stable, relatively speaking, while in the meantime we may see more gimmicky promotions to try and get passengers to book a new voyage.  

With the above said, I have no idea what the rebook rates are for SS.  I do know RCL states SS only represents 2% of their revenue.  But, I have a feeling their profit punches above their revenue weighting.  We'll get SS's take very soon on 2022 cruise fares as SS typically extends their classic fleet schedule early to mid-May.

That seems terribly unfair to the original TA who has put time and effort into the booking. 

7 minutes ago, alexandria said:

It is clear from the terms and conditions that the new "Double Bonus" promotion does not apply when one cancels and re-books the same cruise.

For some it may make sense to cancel their existing booking and book a different Silversea cruise under the new promotion.  That likely depends on whether the additional $1,000 OBC is worth changing dates, itineraries or ships. 

For everyone else, particularly for those who really enjoy cruising and want to invest in and support Silversea, may I suggest  that this is a good opportunity to book another cruise.  Yep, you heard me right.  An additional cruise. 

I believe that if the cruise industry is going to survive and continue to provide us the travel opportunities we enjoy (while implementing appropriate and effective health, safety and sanitation safeguards), we who have enjoyed cruise travel should be at the front of line when it is time to sail again.  After all, if the vast majority of cruise regulars decide to give up on future cruise travel due to our fears of the unknown future, then the likelihood that the cruise industry survives is greatly diminished.  If we are unwilling to book, do we really expect those who aren't regular cruise passengers to do so?  Repeat loyal business is going to be even more important going forward.

Many of us have been blessed with the financial means to enjoy luxury cruise travel as something other than a "once in a lifetime trip."  So for us in particular, the risk of simply booking is minimal.  Just be certain to purchase travel insurance at the time of booking (as you should anyway) and put the trip on your Mastercard or VISA** and you are well protected should the unfortunate event of insolvency and shutdown occur.  Then as the cruise draws near, if you are still so concerned about COVID that you are unwilling to sail, just cancel at least 121 days in advance and all you have lost is $200 which will be available as FCC should you regain confidence within the next year.   (And for 2020 sailings, you can cancel at least 48 hours in advance and receive a full refund in the form of a FCC).

In my view, that is a small "investment" in an industry which many of us hope will not just survive, but thrive, all while protecting the health and safety of its passengers and crew and those who live and work at the various ports of call.  And even more importantly, it is an investment in the people of Silversea.  I've read the reviews and I've seen the live reports and blogs...I know that those of you who are loyal Silversea passengers appreciate the men and women of Silversea, serving both on-board and ashore. 

Full disclosure, please forgive me for what are perhaps selfish motivations....as a recent retiree I have been looking forward to regularly enjoying luxury cruise travel on Silversea! 

**(Mastercard and VISA provide enhanced protection for services not received as promised when disputed within 120 days of the date service was to have been performed as long as it is within 540 days of the date of the initial transaction.)

Alexandria,  it's great that you want to encourage others to show trust and solidarity in the cruise industry and the pivot of your argument is that people are protected by their credit card and you sagely advise that people "buy their insurance" which is wise advice.  Have you fully thought this through?   I agree with you that people would be fools not to buy travel insurance.  But can they get it?

Currently you and most of those that you address are retired and already find it difficult to find fully comprehensive travel cover from reputable providers.  This is particularly true for those with pre-existing conditions and technically with the small print with many/most insurers that would  cover almost all retired people that have consulted a doctor.  The thing is, do you genuinely believe that any elderly people starting today to look for comprehensive reliable travel insurance after this virus, will find an insurer that will cover them for worldwide travel on a cruise ship that includes repatriation in the case of a future virus?   Think of what such a repatriation might entail.  Or does this, as I fear mean that because the decision always rests at the goodwill of the insurewr that anyone in future catching a Covid type virus will be left in a local hospital - wherever that may be - to recover or die?   Silversea currently demands that all travellers must have travel insurance with repatriation andthey make clea that it is the passengers responsibility to find it?  To take this one stage further, to those that you have encouraged to forgo a refund for a FCC can you be sure that these people will be able to find insurance?  If not what do you believe is their legal position with SS if they have rejected the refund, taken the FCC, booked a cruise and then find that they are effectively uninsurable?

To make things a little more complex for UK travellers, many elderly people have purchased annual travel insurance online.  A ... or perhaps more accurately .... the major provider specialising in providing cut-priced travel insurance to the elderly with pre-exisitng conditions provides this cover over several dozen different brands, many of which carry high-street brand names completely 100% trusted by the British public.  This company was the subject of a series of articles by a friend of mine in a respected Sunday newspaper and featured in other newspapers and TV.  He has had to stop his series for reasons I'm not going to expand on.  But the topic hasn't only gone away but it will - hopefully soon - become a big issue in the UK.  People have avoidably died abroad because of the company's emergency services lack of care. The company is being investigated by the Serious Fraud Office, The Financial Ombudsman and the doctors involved with the emergency repatriation decisions of seriously ill patients abroad by both the SFO for possible manslaughter charges and the General Medical Council.  Many people in the UK will recall what company I refer to but I cannot name them.  The final UK issue apart, which is simply an added complexity for UK citizens which worries me greatly, particularly as people are still paying these policies unaware that they are effectivel not covered (at least) as well as they believe.

As an aside, but related to the UK.  Passengers forgoing a refund in favour of an FCC in the UK for a subsequent cruise will not I  believe be covered by Section 75 if the cruise line THEN goes bankrupt.  Their cash will be I believe lost.

I am still finding myself being troubled by the number of decent people worldwide who are giving up their rights to refunds, for what seems to me to be insufficiently thought-through risks.   I'm not intending to provoke those that disagree with my caution and seek to attack me, I am genuinely simply voicing concersn about issues I feel many haven't considered.

Genuinely safe days all. 

• Like 2

I can't speak for those of you in the UK and elsewhere, but here in the US comprehensive travel insurance is still very readily available from many respected insurers (AIG, Berkshire Hathaway, John Hancock, Nationwide, Allianz, etc) that covers supplier default, medical evacuation and repatriation, cancellation, trip delay, luggage delay or loss, etc.  Policy limits are chosen by the traveler, but it is easy to obtain a policy with $1,000,000 coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation on top of $150,000 for medical treatment.  (Obviously the price varies depending on the coverages selected).  The key to coverage for supplier default and pre-existing conditions is that the coverage must be purchased within a certain time frame of initial booking.  Obviously the educated traveler checks the policy they are considering to ensure it has the coverages desired. 

I am not familiar with insurers or insurance law in the UK, but here in the US, insurers are accustomed to paying out hundreds of millions of dollars in claims.  Just look at hurricanes, tornadoes, wild fires and other catastrophic events. Travel insurers take in huge sums in policy premiums with very little risk exposure.  And the idea that you are relying on the "goodwill" of the insurer to pay a claim, even a policy limit claim for medical evacuation and repatriation, is not (at least in the US) based upon fact.  In the US, insurers are liable for punitive and other damages resulting from bad faith denial of a claim, so those cases are very very uncommon.  And in the US, there are consumer protections in the almost unheard of event of insurer insolvency. 

However, my mention of the travel insurance was particular to address concerns of Silversea insolvency that some have expressed in other threads.  My point concerning COVID was that if one is so fearful or concerned about cruise travel as the date approaches, then the ability to cancel more than 120 days out provides a refund less $200.00.  Each passenger has to decide their comfort level with cruising based upon their own personal circumstances.  If someone is very fearful of cruise travel (some have mentioned terrified) and wary of insolvency of the cruise line, then a FCC is not the refund method most suited for them and is probably wise not to book at all.  (Although I remain very curious why some who appear to be completely resolved to avoid all future cruise travel continue to post on a "cruise enthusiast" forum...and no, I'm not talking about you UKCruiseJeff!)  🙂

While your points concerning the risks of using FCC are valid and worthwhile for consideration by those looking at a refund vs. FCC, my post was about the favorable opportunity provided by the Silversea promotion to book a NEW cruise and support an industry and brand that we care about, it wasn't about booking a cruise using FCC.  And I strongly disagree that my parenthetical pointing out the second option for cancellation for 2020 cruises was encouragement to others "to forgo a refund for a FCC."  In fact, in all of my posts on Silversea, I don't believe you will find a single post where I advocate for or encourage the taking a FCC over a cash refund.   In fact, quite the opposite.  I have pointed out to those concerned about cash refunds the largely unknown extended protections provided by Mastercard and VISA concerning charges for services that won't be performed until some date in the future.

None of this is intended as a criticism or judgment of those who may not share an optimistic view of our near-term and long-term future, but people world-wide have proven to be resilient and innovative and have historically not let even horrific circumstances deter them from going about the business of living.  In fact, I was amazed recently reading a biography of Winston Churchill when I read descriptions of life in London and elsewhere in Great Britain during WWII and how the British fared and continued with life as best they could during very difficult times of war.  I can't imagine what it would have been like to live with frequent aerial bombardment of cities and the worry of invasion by the Germans, but I was inspired by what I read.  I can't help but wonder if the same world events occurred today if we would all be told to shelter in place, stop working, stop shopping, stop living and hunker down until it was all over.  😲

Best wishes my friends!

Edited by alexandria
Typos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alexandria said:

I can't speak for those of you in the UK and elsewhere, but here in the US comprehensive travel insurance is still very readily available from many respected insurers (AIG, Berkshire Hathaway, John Hancock, Nationwide, Allianz, etc) that covers supplier default, medical evacuation and repatriation, cancellation, trip delay, luggage delay or loss, etc. 

Although I remain very curious why some who appear to be completely resolved to avoid all future cruise travel continue to post on a "cruise enthusiast" forum...and no, I'm not talking about you UKCruiseJeff!  🙂

I'm not going to take each of your points.  Just two.

To take your second point first where you seem to question the motives of others including myself.   Perhaps many of us here are equally curious as to why someone who has never taken a Silversea cruise and has never encountered a Silversea's employee but has acquired such an instant love and loyalty to the well-being of Silversea staff as expressed by you in your many posts - so much that you are asking others to risk their cash in order that you can do everything you can  to ensure that your first SS cruise is more certain.  🙂

I am really concerned about how free and easy you are in order to achieve your aims, with your clear and sweeping reassurances.  As discussed people tend to believe stuff they want to believe so will be reassured by you.  So a direct and reasonable question.  You have in your first reassurance stated you cannot speak of the UK but you claim that you can it seems speak authoritively and plausibly that Silverseas customers using their FCC or making new bookings in future will be certain to be able to obtain cover from at least five reputable companies in the US you have named.   Can you say when exactly you contacted each of them and asked?  And also what do you know that guarantees that customers that this will be true for the foreseeable future.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I'm not going to take each of your points.  Just two.

To take your second point first where you seem to question the motives of others including myself.   Perhaps many of us here are equally curious as to why someone who has never taken a Silversea cruise has acquired such an instant love and loyalty to the well-being of Silversea staff as expressed by you in your many posts - so much that you are asking others to risk their cash in order that you can make your first SS cruise more certain.  🙂

I am really concerned about how free and easy you are with your clear reassurances.  As discussed people tend to believe stuff they want to believe so will be reassured by you.  So a direct and reasonable question.  You have in your first reassurance stated you cannot speak of the UK but you claim that you can it seems speak authoritively and plausibly that Silverseas customers using their FCC or making booking in future will be able to obtain cover from at least five reputable companies in the US you have named.   Can you say when exactly you contacted each of them and asked?  And also what do you know that guarantees that customers that this will be true for the foreseeable future.

UKCruiseJeff,

Respectfully, if you are going to make accusations concerning my posts, please be accurate concerning what I have posted. 

For example, do you mind showing me where I question your motives???  I have tried to be clear that I am not judging or questioning those who don't share my optimism, disagree with my posts or who find fault with my opinions.  So please point out the post(s) where I have questioned your motives. 

To respond to your fair inquiries, I have been a regular cruiser having taken dozens in my adult life, most regularly on HAL.  And I have been transparent that I have not yet sailed Silversea.  But I booked a number of weeks ago based upon recommendations of several friends who are loyal Silversea passengers as well as my travel agent, who previously served as a VP with more than one luxury cruise line (but not Silversea) and has held executive leadership positions with several major travel industry providers, such as AMEX and CarlsonWagonlit.  She considers Silversea to be "top shelf" and I trust her opinion.  Thus far, my expectations have been met or exceeded. 

I have also observed how the cruise lines have handled this crisis.  My previous favorite line, HAL, without the approval or consent of US or Florida officials, sent the Zaandam to Ft. Lauderdale, bypassing Panama, the country where CCL is incorporated and pays taxes.  The cruise neither embarked from the US nor was it scheduled to disembark in the US.  The president of HAL praised Panama for merely allowing the Zaandam to transit the canal and condemned officials in Florida and the US for hesitating to permit the Zaandam to dock in Ft. Lauderdale when Florida medical facilities and medical providers were already straining and when HAL failed to provide any plan to provide assistance with screening, quarantine or treatment.  HAL simply wanted to get the passengers off the Zaandam and let them become Florida's problem.  Contrast that to what I have read here and in the media about how Silversea handled the Silver Shadow.  I lost all respect for HAL and CCL and gained appreciation for Silversea. 

Also, please show me where I mention my love and loyalty to the well-being of Silversea staff as expressed by me "in many posts" as you claim.  My post specifically mentioned that I am aware that Silversea regulars who post here or elsewhere about Silversea have an appreciation for those who serve them.  I do appreciate the service I have received thus far and try to also "put myself in the shoes of others" when possible so that I might have empathy for their situations and circumstances.  But I don't recall otherwise expressing my love and loyalty to Silversea staff.  (And yes, I will be disappointed if my booked cruise doesn't occur, but disappointment is a part of life and I will get over it, hopefully without complaint.)

Again, as to the accuracy of your accusations, please refer me to the portion of my post(s) where I mention travel insurance coverage for those using FCC.  My first post on the topic stated, "Just be certain to purchase travel insurance at the time of booking (as you should anyway) AND put the trip on your Mastercard or VISA** and you are well protected should the unfortunate event of insolvency and shutdown occur. "  (emphasis added).  And in my reply to your post, I stated "my post was about the favorable opportunity provided by the Silversea promotion to book a NEW cruise and support an industry and brand that we care about, it wasn't about booking a cruise using FCC." 

As to the matters of insurance coverage in the US and consumer protections, I am now retired but spent my career as a trial attorney and am still admitted to practice law, as well as being admitted to the US Supreme Court.  While my postings concerning the availability of travel insurance, the coverages that are currently available, and the protections provided by appropriate coverage are not legal matters and merely based upon information readily available to the consumer (which include the certificates of coverage available to view and download online for each insurer and coverage option).  The discussion of protections in the event of insurer insolvency and the issues concerning bad-faith denial of claims are based upon general principles of law in the United States.  Those points are not intended to be legal advice but were mentioned to perhaps distinguish that what you report as being issues in the UK with travel insurance coverage are unlikely to be (and have not yet been) issues in the US. 

Additionally, as I strive for accuracy, I did in the process of drafting my first post check travel insurance coverages and availability for three separate Silversea itineraries available on the "Double Bonus" promotion, one Mediterranean, one Asia, and one Northern Europe and British Isles.  That is easily done online.  In each case I found the coverages I referenced above for all three cruises for a hypothetical couple in their 70's, US citizens and residents of the State of Florida.  I endeavor not to state facts unless there is evidence upon which those can be relied.  Likewise, I read the terms and conditions of Silversea bookings, the "Double Bonus" promotion and cancellation policies to attempt to ensure that my post was as accurate as possible.  As a matter of law in the US, the certificate of coverage issued when the policy is purchased governs the coverage provided, it cannot later be reduced or eliminated by the travel insurance provider.  But IANYL and if someone is as concerned about the matter as you appear to be, the advice of their trusted attorney should be sought.

Perhaps your opinion and posts are informed by experiences of cruise passengers and travel customers in the UK and the issues there that you report in your first reply, my opinion and posts are informed by similar experiences in the US, as well as my professional knowledge and experience.  And where I am stating personal opinion or speculation, I will try to preface those remarks with "in my opinion", "I believe" or "in my view".  And where I am making what is perhaps an educated guess, those remarks are generally prefaced by "it is likely" or "it is possible" or something along those lines.

Again, I respect disagreement and civil discourse.  I do simply request that accusations questioning my motives or the accuracy of my posts or that take issue with something I reportedly wrote be accompanied by citation to specific instances in my "offending" post(s).  If I post something in error, I will gladly admit and correct my mistake (as I did in one post concerning passenger cancellation of cruises departing prior to June 1 when the error was brought to my attention).  And I acknowledge that the circumstances may differ depending on the country where the reader resides...it was my shortcoming and mistake for not pointing that out in my first post when posting on this US based internet forum.   🤔  (Tongue in cheek).

I don't intend to change your mind or the mind of any other reader.  But when all I seem to read in the US media concerning cruise lines is how terrible they all are, how ships are nothing but floating petri dishes and how cruise lines are to blame for the spread of COVID worldwide and they should all go bankrupt, I hope that my posts may serve as an encouragement to some and as food for thought for others.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, alexandria said:

UKCruiseJeff,

Respectfully, if you are going to make accusations concerning my posts, please be accurate concerning what I have posted. 

For example, do you mind showing me where I question your motives???  I have tried to be clear that I am not judging or questioning those who don't share my optimism, disagree with my posts or who find fault with my opinions.  So please point out the post(s) where I have questioned your motives. 

To respond to your fair inquiries, I have been a regular cruiser having taken dozens in my adult life, most regularly on HAL.  And I have been transparent that I have not yet sailed Silversea.  But I booked a number of weeks ago based upon recommendations of several friends who are loyal Silversea passengers as well as my travel agent, who previously served as a VP with more than one luxury cruise line (but not Silversea) and has held executive leadership positions with several major travel industry providers, such as AMEX and CarlsonWagonlit.  She considers Silversea to be "top shelf" and I trust her opinion.  Thus far, my expectations have been met or exceeded. 

I have also observed how the cruise lines have handled this crisis.  My previous favorite line, HAL, without the approval or consent of US or Florida officials, sent the Zaandam to Ft. Lauderdale, bypassing Panama, the country where CCL is incorporated and pays taxes.  The cruise neither embarked from the US nor was it scheduled to disembark in the US.  The president of HAL praised Panama for merely allowing the Zaandam to transit the canal and condemned officials in Florida and the US for hesitating to permit the Zaandam to dock in Ft. Lauderdale when Florida medical facilities and medical providers were already straining and when HAL failed to provide any plan to provide assistance with screening, quarantine or treatment.  HAL simply wanted to get the passengers off the Zaandam and let them become Florida's problem.  Contrast that to what I have read here and in the media about how Silversea handled the Silver Shadow.  I lost all respect for HAL and CCL and gained appreciation for Silversea. 

Also, please show me where I mention my love and loyalty to the well-being of Silversea staff as expressed by me "in many posts" as you claim.  My post specifically mentioned that I am aware that Silversea regulars who post here or elsewhere about Silversea have an appreciation for those who serve them.  I do appreciate the service I have received thus far and try to also "put myself in the shoes of others" when possible so that I might have empathy for their situations and circumstances.  But I don't recall otherwise expressing my love and loyalty to Silversea staff.  (And yes, I will be disappointed if my booked cruise doesn't occur, but disappointment is a part of life and I will get over it, hopefully without complaint.)

Again, as to the accuracy of your accusations, please refer me to the portion of my post(s) where I mention travel insurance coverage for those using FCC.  My first post on the topic stated, "Just be certain to purchase travel insurance at the time of booking (as you should anyway) AND put the trip on your Mastercard or VISA** and you are well protected should the unfortunate event of insolvency and shutdown occur. "  (emphasis added).  And in my reply to your post, I stated "my post was about the favorable opportunity provided by the Silversea promotion to book a NEW cruise and support an industry and brand that we care about, it wasn't about booking a cruise using FCC." 

As to the matters of insurance coverage in the US and consumer protections, I am now retired but spent my career as a trial attorney and am still admitted to practice law, as well as being admitted to the US Supreme Court.  While my postings concerning the availability of travel insurance, the coverages that are currently available, and the protections provided by appropriate coverage are not legal matters and merely based upon information readily available to the consumer (which include the certificates of coverage available to view and download online for each insurer and coverage option).  The discussion of protections in the event of insurer insolvency and the issues concerning bad-faith denial of claims are based upon general principles of law in the United States.  Those points are not intended to be legal advice but were mentioned to perhaps distinguish that what you report as being issues in the UK with travel insurance coverage are unlikely to be (and have not yet been) issues in the US. 

Additionally, as I strive for accuracy, I did in the process of drafting my first post check travel insurance coverages and availability for three separate Silversea itineraries available on the "Double Bonus" promotion, one Mediterranean, one Asia, and one Northern Europe and British Isles.  That is easily done online.  In each case I found the coverages I referenced above for all three cruises for a hypothetical couple in their 70's, US citizens and residents of the State of Florida.  I endeavor not to state facts unless there is evidence upon which those can be relied.  Likewise, I read the terms and conditions of Silversea bookings, the "Double Bonus" promotion and cancellation policies to attempt to ensure that my post was as accurate as possible.  As a matter of law in the US, the certificate of coverage issued when the policy is purchased governs the coverage provided, it cannot later be reduced or eliminated by the travel insurance provider.  But IANYL and if someone is as concerned about the matter as you appear to be, the advice of their trusted attorney should be sought.

Perhaps your opinion and posts are informed by experiences of cruise passengers and travel customers in the UK and the issues there that you report in your first reply, my opinion and posts are informed by similar experiences in the US, as well as my professional knowledge and experience.  And where I am stating personal opinion or speculation, I will try to preface those remarks with "in my opinion", "I believe" or "in my view".  And where I am making what is perhaps an educated guess, those remarks are generally prefaced by "it is likely" or "it is possible" or something along those lines.

Again, I respect disagreement and civil discourse.  I do simply request that accusations questioning my motives or the accuracy of my posts or that take issue with something I reportedly wrote be accompanied by citation to specific instances in my "offending" post(s).  If I post something in error, I will gladly admit and correct my mistake (as I did in one post concerning passenger cancellation of cruises departing prior to June 1 when the error was brought to my attention).  And I acknowledge that the circumstances may differ depending on the country where the reader resides...it was my shortcoming and mistake for not pointing that out in my first post when posting on this US based internet forum.   🤔  (Tongue in cheek).

I don't intend to change your mind or the mind of any other reader.  But when all I seem to read in the US media concerning cruise lines is how terrible they all are, how ships are nothing but floating petri dishes and how cruise lines are to blame for the spread of COVID worldwide and they should all go bankrupt, I hope that my posts may serve as an encouragement to some and as food for thought for others.

A,

Good luck with your cruise ... I hope you enjoy it.

Jeff

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

A,

Good luck with your cruise ... I hope you enjoy it.

Jeff

Thank you sir.  And I truly hope that circumstances improve to the point that you will be comfortable cruising again soon.  Perhaps we'll have a chance to meet and enjoy some spirited yet friendly conversation over a pint!