If You Are Scared To Cruise, Don't Cruise.

2 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I doubt very much that a face mask will be required. No one even know if it is effective at all.

Maybe, maybe not.  I'm still curious as to the answer to the question from the person I asked.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Thanks 1

What gets me, the sun, vitamin D which is a needed vitamin and most are not getting enough, fresh air and the saltwater are the best thing anyone can do to help prevent getting the virus. Is that not what a lot do in port. The beach and go swimming.  Yet, most oceanfront communities are not allowed to do so. How stupid are we?

Beaches are opening here this weekend. Since the weather has been in the 60’s, we reached 70 this afternoon I would not have been going to the beach anyway yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

49 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

People have been saying that since March.  I will believe it when I see it. I'm actually looking forward  to see if any of the on board predictions come to life.

Tomorrow,as you are aware the private beaches will be opening on LI.I wonder how social distancing will be enforced on Jones Beach ?

Just heard more news that has changed. In the FALL it will be back. No not now. It may not comeback at all. That was just on the evening news. Now you talking. lets cruise [emoji41]

Not news but speculation. It is unknown. That is why the virus is called Novel. That means new. I hope the virus disappears but only time will tell. It might be the end of cruising for years if cruises start too soon and then there are outbreaks, quarantines and stranded passengers like earlier. The cruise lines have raised cash so they can last 12 to 18 months if cruises cannot restart this year. They don’t know either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Tomorrow,as you are aware the private beaches will be opening on LI.I wonder how social distancing will be enforced on Jones Beach ?

The last time I was at Jones Beach it was a shambles this was before Sandy. The boardwalk was in disrepair and all of the court games had grass growing on them between the cracks. They weren't even open. I haven't been back since. I know they are limiting capacity and I heard it's only open to Nassau and Suffolk county no NYC residents. It's a state park so I don't know how that will work. At any rate I won't be going to any beach. Our private Town of Oyster Bay beach has suffered a lot of erosion and I don't think it was repaired since Sandy. I just get disgusted when I see how these beaches are being taken care of considering the amount of State and local taxes we pay. After being in the Caribbean it's difficult to for me to enjoy a Long Island beach unless I'm out east on the north or south fork 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The last time I was at Jones Beach it was a shambles this was before Sandy. The boardwalk was in disrepair and all of the court games had grass growing on them between the cracks. They weren't even open. I haven't been back since. I know they are limiting capacity and I heard it's only open to Nassau and Suffolk county no NYC residents. It's a state park so I don't know how that will work. At any rate I won't be going to any beach. Our private Town of Oyster Bay beach has suffered a lot of erosion and I don't think it was repaired since Sandy. I just get disgusted when I see how these beaches are being taken care of considering the amount of State and local taxes we pay. After being in the Caribbean it's difficult to for me to enjoy a Long Island beach unless I'm out east on the north or south fork 

I too have not been to the beach or boardwalk in quite some time .I believe there is still a fee for parking.I would think that if they still have people in booths where the fee is collected they could ask to see drivers licenses to make sure only LI residents can enter.

15 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Jumbo Joe has shaved his beard!!!! Looks 15 years younger!!!

If your wife had the flu this past winter it may just have been Covid-19.....

That's what my adult son thought- but he went for the antibody test and it was negative.  He had the flu.  In order to be certain, you need to be tested.  He was very sick with the flu, but surely not like many people who must be hospitalized or on a respirator

18 hours ago, zalusky said:

As much as I love my San Jose Sharks hockey we will be skipping my ten pack this coming season.  The wife has multiple risk factors being a kidney transplant patient.  Even before this outbreak we think she caught the flu a couple of times there as well touching all the rails just to move around.

Thornton home town is from 15 min south of me, Couture 10 min north, know the parents, and when Tierney was there he played with my son in Jr A, nice to see a deep south hockey fan!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chip and Dale said:

Unfortunately for someone with a severe allergy causing anaphylaxis, that is a deadly suggestion. 

I speak from tremendous experience. I have many deadly allergies. At one point an allergist thinking he was a genius tried a minute trace injection of one allergen to see if I would gradually become immune. I went into anaphylactic shock! 

He decided it was best to stop trying and make sure that I avoided those allergens and carry Epipens. 

Georgian bay?> Parry Sound? Midland? Owen Sound?

Just now, HBE4 said:

Fingers crossed.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29202574/sources-nhl-discussing-24-team-conference-based-playoff-format

NY Rangers in a "Play-in" game. Sadly, no Sharks.

im hearing this may go thru, more golf this w/e, more soccer now, need to start up baseball soon...need a distraction from the doom n gloom media!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The last time I was at Jones Beach it was a shambles this was before Sandy. The boardwalk was in disrepair and all of the court games had grass growing on them between the cracks. They weren't even open. I haven't been back since. I know they are limiting capacity and I heard it's only open to Nassau and Suffolk county no NYC residents. It's a state park so I don't know how that will work.

16 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I too have not been to the beach or boardwalk in quite some time .I believe there is still a fee for parking.I would think that if they still have people in booths where the fee is collected they could ask to see drivers licenses to make sure only LI residents can enter.

How is it that you Long Islander guys don't go while I trek 1 hour, 20 minutes from upstate (well, above Westchester) 3-4 times a year?

Anyway, A lot of money has been spent on Jones Beach the past few years.  Large sections of the boardwalk were rebuilt, new bathrooms and showers so they no longer look like something out of a 1920's prison, some new food concessions, a new beach bar with the requisite  bar games (giant Jenga, Giant Connect 4, etc), new shuffleboard and basketball courts with proper lighting.  I usually make a day trip out of it and will stay well into the night playing shuffle board or mini-golf.

This weekend, I don't think they are limiting residences as it's a state park (I think that is for other LI beaches).  But they are limiting parking to 50% capacity and expect them to be filled by 10-11 am. Also, no food concessions or beach games allowed.

I probably won't go until after 4th of July at the earliest.

Has there been any thought or discussion yet here on this forum as to why Millionaire business leaders, leading multi-billion dollar cruise companies, were willing to borrow money at 10-12% so that their companies can last with no sailings for 12-18 months?

Ask yourself.... If you were that company CEO (all 3 of the major players in fact), why would you do that?

9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Because the alternative is worse?

Yup... and my guess is these highly intelligent, very learned and worldly, upper tier business players who have worked their way up to the upper echelon of business in America running multi-billion dollar corporations also have some belief that they won't be sailing until that time frame, and just have to be prepared for that just in case.

I wonder what they believe? Or what they know? Or what they feel the possibilities could be?

Surely they are acting purely unemotionally, as all high end business players do. They are making decisions and plays based presumed eventualities and scenarios, preparing/fighting against possibilities that could destroy them

11 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Has there been any thought or discussion yet here on this forum as to why Millionaire business leaders, leading multi-billion dollar cruise companies, were willing to borrow money at 10-12% so that their companies can last with no sailings for 12-18 months?

Ask yourself.... If you were that company CEO (all 3 of the major players in fact), why would you do that?

First, probably a board decision and not CEO alone.  Second, the board and the CEO work for the shareholders and if they did not do this, they would go bankrupt and the stock would fall further than it has and finally, the CEO probably has $20 million or so in Stock which they don’t want to see drop to zero.

Beside selling assets, which no one is buying right now, or selling the company for way less than asset value to some company that has a lot of cash reserves to survive the next 12 months or so, they really did not have other options.  

What would you have suggested they do?

58 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

What would you have suggested they do?

Great post... you explained exactly in your own words how they may be thinking.... that they possibly believe they won't be sailing for at least 12 months. Do you agree?

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Just curious, what percentage of New Yorkers don’t pay taxes but yet are dependent on the State?  Not talking about businesses, but personal taxes?  

Good question but I don't know. Probably more than I would like.

Although, with several layers of sales tax (town, county, state), one of the highest sin tax (cigarettes & alcohol), one of the highest gas tax, plus various taxes disguised as surcharges and fees, plus school and property taxes that people pay either directly or indirectly (for renters), it's hard for someone to not pay something in taxes.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Great post... you explained exactly in your own words how they may be thinking.... that they possibly believe they won't be sailing for at least 12 months. Do you agree?

IMO, they will cruise this year, but not a full schedule and not all ships.  But taking delivery of a new ship and ongoing payments for current ships, they will need the money until they start a full schedule and passenger load returns to normal.   My fear is they will have shorter cruises first (less time to have a major outbreak). We don’t do shorter cruises and 10 days is usually the minimum.   We have 3 scheduled next year - 16, 12 and 10 days.