NCL still booking cruises

roger001

I just looked at the NCL site for cruises offered.  They are still booking cruises for May.  They've got out of Seattle on May 16th, Boston on May 15th, and Miami on May 31st.   My opinion is that to have these cruises listed, and to actually be taking money for them, payment in full due now, that is shameful!   They clearly know that these cruises will not happen.  It really should be in the realm of illegal.   NCL would maybe get a lot more sympathy if they got honest.   My opinion.   

Edited by roger001
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I just looked at the NCL site for cruises offered.  They are still booking cruises for May.  They've got out of Seattle on May 16th, Boston on May 15th, and Miami on May 31st.   My opinion is that to have these cruises listed, and to actually be taking money for them, payment in full due now, that is shameful!   They clearly know that these cruises will not happen.  It really should be in the realm of illegal.   NCL would maybe get a lot more sympathy if they got honest.   My opinion.   

I agree. They are really isolating a lot of customers and if they are to survive they need to buckle up and start doing the right thing. I thought it was ridiculous to change cabin names to Club suite in a time when people just want their money back or literally the last thing they are thinking about  is booking a new cruise. NCL Executives seem to be really out of touch with everything that is going on. IMO

• Like 3

I did a mock booking yesterday for May 28 (2020) out of Rome just to see if they were still taking bookings. Yup. When I, of course did not complete the reservation, Norwegian sent me two email reminders to finish the process!! I know it's automatic but still it's ridiculous.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On the flip side, anyone who does book a cruise this month or next, probably deserve to have their money tied up for at least 90-days given what we now all know.  I’d have to ask myself....”who would book a cruise for sailing next month?”  The answer, not someone who’s very bright.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, TACoor said:

I did a mock booking yesterday for May 28 (2020) out of Rome just to see if they were still taking bookings. Yup. When I, of course did not complete the reservation, Norwegian sent me two email reminders to finish the process!! I know it's automatic but still it's ridiculous.

We have a cruise booked on the NCL JAde in October from Rome to New York since last November, there is no way that cruise will happen. Germany just announced their country is closed for tourism until at least late Fall., I am sure other places in Europe will follow same rules

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

We have a cruise booked on the NCL JAde in October from Rome to New York since last November, there is no way that cruise will happen. Germany just announced their country is closed for tourism until at least late Fall., I am sure other places in Europe will follow same rules

I don’t know.  Is it because of originating in Italy?  Or, ending in NY?  I’m thinking that some cruise lines will start sailing again in July.....just a hunch.  Maybe not all itineraries, but some select ones.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I don’t know.  Is it because of originating in Italy?  Or, ending in NY?  I’m thinking that some cruise lines will start sailing again in July.....just a hunch.  Maybe not all itineraries, but some select ones.

yeah i read that some cruises plane on resuming in the summer to the Caribbean, who knows what Europe will do.

1 hour ago, roger001 said:

I just looked at the NCL site for cruises offered.  They are still booking cruises for May.  They've got out of Seattle on May 16th, Boston on May 15th, and Miami on May 31st.   My opinion is that to have these cruises listed, and to actually be taking money for them, payment in full due now, that is shameful!   

I agree.  These cruises are not happening.   NCL knows it, they should stop selling them, cancel them, and let everyone deal with the cancellation process.  It's a not a "good look" for NCL right now.

• Like 3

It is a catch 22 for them still having reservation open for may and June. They can't shut down the reservations for the cruises unless they cancel them and for some reason known only to the execs at NCL they don't want to announce the cancellations yet. The number, if any, getting a cruise for may and june is so small it wouldn't make a dent on the balance sheet so I don't believe it is to get more money in. Is it to hold on to what they have? If they were doing it just to pull in deposits they would have made the cruises super cheap to generate funds.

• Like 1

I gotta say....to be selling these "not going to happen" cruises right now is no different than selling a Nigerian scam.  I really think it should be stopped by the Feds.  True, "everyone"  should know that they aren't going to sail, but then folks shouldn't buy into any scam, but do.  Doesn't make it ok to offer it though.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately the "not going to happen" is a guess admittedly a very good guess. Would I bet the house on June not happening probably not.  The no cruise order does offer the possibility of being revoked and the virus could disappear both highly unlikely but there is still hope. That is why they can still offer them. Do I think it is right, no, I think they should at least cancel the rest of May at this point. June is really iffy but if they think there is a chance you don't cancel something you can't get back.

They still haven’t cancelled my May 16 out of Amsterdam, even though the did cancel my Asia cruise a year from now! (Makes no sense!) I refuse to fly right now so no way I’m going on this, as much as I was looking forward to it. I wish they’d stop leaving people hanging, accept reality, and extend the cancellation as other lines have done. I’m as anxious to get back to cruising as anybody but understand that won’t happen until mid-summer. Clearly the cruise line execs know this too and are just leaving people hanging in a money grab - from people making new reservations and people cancelling instead of waiting for them to cancel and take the extra 25% or 50% or whatever it is (I don’t know because when THEY cancelled my March cruise I only got 100% FCC)

• Like 1

Seattle cruise port still closed as is Victoria. They could always pull a fast one by changing to a Oregon/California coastal cruise with a stop in Ensenada. If the Seattle cruise port opened which is always a remote possibility I guess, flights could be diverted into Paine Field in Seattle. I don't know if those possibilities even enter the equation. But keeping a potential offering would save them a lot of money.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I gotta say....to be selling these "not going to happen" cruises right now is no different than selling a Nigerian scam ... True, "everyone"  should know that they aren't going to sail, but then folks shouldn't buy into any scam, but do.  Doesn't make it ok to offer it though.  

Well said, except "they" too are selling the country its own scams.  NCL is doing it the legal way, taking advantage of legal loopholes.  Other countries get to dictate when, how and what to reopen its border crossing - whether it is for flights, rails and cruise ships - some are essential and critical for commerce, others aren't and strictly discretionary.  

Reminds me of an old Chinese proverb that read, "a horse doesn't drink water unless, unless it lower the head down.  Yet, there are plenty of people in denial, acting as if they have full immunity.  

Think for a moment, where are the crew members and how/when does NCL plan to recall and bring them back - imagine the logistics alone.  Airlines in the US cut their flight ops by as much as 90% thru the Fall of 2020 - are folks prepared to drive for hours, overnight to/from their ports.  

• Like 3

IF someone wants to book a cruise, who are we to say they shouldn't be able to...I'm in agreement with others, people are looking at 25% "free" money for a cruise later in the year.  I surely think that could easily happen.  

I live in a county of 120K people...we have 8 claimed covid deaths...do the math..average age over 79, all with underlying conditions.  It is not dire straights everywhere.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, phillyguy31 said:

Unfortunately the "not going to happen" is a guess admittedly a very good guess. Would I bet the house on June not happening probably not.  The no cruise order does offer the possibility of being revoked and the virus could disappear both highly unlikely but there is still hope. That is why they can still offer them. Do I think it is right, no, I think they should at least cancel the rest of May at this point. June is really iffy but if they think there is a chance you don't cancel something you can't get back.

There isn't still hope. May 15th is a little over three weeks away. They would have to get a crew on board, all the supplies, and be ready to sail. Not going to happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KateQ22003 said:

There isn't still hope. May 15th is a little over three weeks away. They would have to get a crew on board, all the supplies, and be ready to sail. Not going to happen.

I'm thinking mid July at the earliest..

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I'm thinking mid July at the earliest..

All it would take is one guest or crew member to get it and their reputation is shot further. The ship quarantined. I think the VERY earliest is 10/20 but more realistic 4/21.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spanishguy1970 said:

yeah i read that some cruises plane on resuming in the summer to the Caribbean, who knows what Europe will do.

Here's an article about Italy and a possible timeline for the country post lockdown. It shows leisure travel with no more border restrictions occurring AFTER March 31,2021! Even if this is too pessimistic it demonstrates that things, and especially international leisure travel, won't return to normal right way.

https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/2020/04/16/5e98b8d5ca4741bd688b45ab.html

• Like 2