Which cruise ships have full wrap around Promenade Decks

I was just thinking what I loved about cruise ships, when I started cruising.  I remember I loved walking around the wide promenade decks early in the morning.  I loved going on deck at the very front of the ship, especially coming in to a new port.  I loved the libraries, with big comfortable chairs for reading (and sleeping for older passengers), and their large collection of travel books, Atlases and Maps (to research next cruise).

How many cruise ships still have these features?  What are your favourite features on ships?

Edited by MMDown Under

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I remember I loved walking around the wide promenade decks

Definitely Sea and Sun - beautiful promenades aren’t they? Assume Pacific Princess would too? 
Then Noordam and Maasdam - the older HAL ships 🤔

Seems to be a theme here ....... old ships have open spaces?? And they send us lots of old ships 🙄

5 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Definitely Sea and Sun - beautiful promenades aren’t they? Assume Pacific Princess would too? 
Then Noordam and Maasdam - the older HAL ships 🤔

Seems to be a theme here ....... old ships have open spaces?? And they send us lots of old ships 🙄

Pacific Princess (like Ocean Princess) has promenade decks on either side, which don't wrap around.  You have to walk up and back.  Lovely place to enjoy high tea. 

Still has to be my favourite thing to do , walking around promenade decks . Close to the sea and so relaxing.Grab a seat , a beer and chill out.  In my opinion it is a shame one side is set aside for smokers on the last couple of ships we have been on. Cheers, to everyone waiting on our next sailaway , Buzz.

On 4/23/2020 at 6:34 AM, MMDown Under said:

I was just thinking what I loved about cruise ships, when I started cruising.  I remember I loved walking around the wide promenade decks early in the morning.  I loved going on deck at the very front of the ship, especially coming in to a new port.  I loved the libraries, with big comfortable chairs for reading (and sleeping for older passengers), and their large collection of travel books, Atlases and Maps (to research next cruise).

How many cruise ships still have these features?  What are your favourite features on ships?

I didn't realise these were unusual features - have only done one cruise, it was  on Queen Elizabeth and she had both promenade and a very good library my partner was very impressed to find a full set of Encyclopedia Britannica 

P1090117.JPG

P1090520.JPG

P1090518.JPG

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Zaandam and Volendam ( HAL) have wrap around promenade decks.  We must have walked hundreds of miles around the Volendam promenade deck.

Yep, as does the old Ryndam ( P&Os, Pacific Eden- CMVs, Vasco De Gama) and Ryndam (P&Os, Pacific Aria to become CMVs, Ida Pfieffer)

44 minutes ago, lissie said:

I didn't realise these were unusual features - have only done one cruise, it was  on Queen Elizabeth and she had both promenade and a very good library my partner was very impressed to find a full set of Encyclopedia Britannica 

P1090117.JPG

I love the spacing of the loungers there, not jammed together like on Sea Princess, although I think the deck is wider on Sea.

We have an NZ cruise booked on the QE in January, fingers crossed it will be possible. We've always wanted to cruise on Cunard but up until now the itineries didn't suit our requirements at the time. Finally we have o ne booked and ...🤞

I neve

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I love the spacing of the loungers there, not jammed together like on Sea Princess, although I think the deck is wider on Sea.

We have an NZ cruise booked on the QE in January, fingers crossed it will be possible. We've always wanted to cruise on Cunard but up until now the itineries didn't suit our requirements at the time. Finally we have o ne booked and ...🤞

I don't think I ever saw them all occupied either. The only issue I had with the outdoor space was there were very few shade sails - you'd think they mainly cruise the north Atlantic or something! We had hot weather the whole trip and there wre often empty loungers everywhere except around the midship pool where there was shade. Just be aware and take sunsmart togs etc if you do want to  be out in it. At least on the promenade one side was in shade most of the time (we pretty much sailed north/south) .

I noticed the Jan cruise in your sig - that's the one I'm considering too! We have a credit to use up 

P1090057.JPG

P1090197.JPG

P1090217.JPG

Edited by lissie

1 hour ago, lissie said:

P1090117.JPG

P1090520.JPG

P1090518.JPG

Thank you for the beautiful photos.  Most ships used to have these features, but many have reduced them.  Some used to have a librarian in the library. 

Edited by MMDown Under
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

I neve

I don't think I ever saw them all occupied either. The only issue I had with the outdoor space was there were very few shade sails - you'd think they mainly cruise the north Atlantic or something! We had hot weather the whole trip and there wre often empty loungers everywhere except around the midship pool where there was shade. Just be aware and take sunsmart togs etc if you do want to  be out in it. At least on the promenade one side was in shade most of the time (we pretty much sailed north/south) .

I noticed the Jan cruise in your sig - that's the one I'm considering too! We have a credit to use up 

Lack of shade is a problem on a lot of ships.on Princess we usually spend afternoons in the Sanctuary which is mostly shaded and just nip out for a quick swim when we want to cool off.

Might see you onboard in January then, if cruising has commenced again. 🙂

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

These loungers are much closer than on Ocean Princess, a much smaller ship.