Cunard's Cancellations/Refunds Update 23rd April 2020

rog747

13 hours ago, macsford said:

Very disillusioned with Cunard.

Our final payment due 6 June for Canada/New England.

It won't happen, Canada won't allow it, but if we don't pay we are deemed to have cancelled and lose our money paid so far.

Other lines have cancelled their Canada cruises, why not Cunard?

Why can't they do the decent thing and cancel with all that entails?

If its any help, we are in a similar position, also sailing to Canada/New England in October.

Last week, I asked our TA to arrange the transfer the deposit to a 2021 sailing.

Initially, Cunard refused, but later, probably after the Canadian ban was extended till Oct 31, relented but still insisted the deposit was non refundable and they would allow ONE switch to another cruise.

As of yesterday, Cunard were still selling the October 9th sailing, which is appaling practice.

Very high handed attitude. Not impressed.

Edited by phbr

Just wondering if anyone has their refund from Cunard yet?  Our Japan to Vancouver cruise was cancelled way earlier in the year and nothing yet. Our TA keeps asking the local NZ agent who then refers to the Australian agent. Has anyone had any success?

Thank you for your responses Captn Poldark and phbr. This morning Cunard are still selling 4th September TA, New England and Canada.  We have cruised quite a few times but this was our first with Cunard .

We had said that maybe in future we would cross with Cunard either before or after our annual visit to family in Toronto. A good way to arrive without jetlag or even better to avoid it when returning home! However, I am so disappointed in how they are handling this that at the moment I don't want to do business with them again.

Unfortunately they hold more of our money than usual at this stage as they said we had to pay in full for our return flights from Toronto instead of Quebec.  No problem if all had gone to plan.

We now have to decide  our way forward with this and be thankful that in these times our family are all safe and well, which we all know is much more important. 

On 6/2/2020 at 12:05 PM, Coathanger said:

Cruise date 9 May.

Booked direct via the Cunard Australia website. 

Thanks for those details.

I received an email from my TA on 2 June saying they hadn't received my refund from Cunard. This was the TA's answer to my 23 April asking how long after they received my refund would they send me the refund. 

12 April cruise

Booked via TA

31 March Cunard cancelled

31 March online refund request submitted

BTW,  I generally receive replies to my emails from Cunard within their stated time period of 10 to 14 days. 

17 hours ago, macsford said:

Very disillusioned with Cunard.

Our final payment due 6 June for Canada/New England.

It won't happen, Canada won't allow it, but if we don't pay we are deemed to have cancelled and lose our money paid so far.

Other lines have cancelled their Canada cruises, why not Cunard?

Why can't they do the decent thing and cancel with all that entails?

The first closure of Canadian ports announced in mid-March was to the 1st of July, yet Cunard continued to sell Alaska cruises for the first part of the season. Other lines were even worse, though. Princess and Holland America were slow to cancel Alaska cruises for April, May and June. Even their cruises from Seattle were still on sale, even though that port was closed until further notice.

Credit card claim submitted today for repayment from a U.K. Cruise TA for our Cape Town & QM2 voyage. If Cunard do eventually send us a cheque for the QM2 part it would be very much appreciated but ultimately the contract we entered into was with the Cruise agent so we've submitted a claim for the whole package (flights, hotel and QM2) that we were sold.

5 hours ago, HJean said:

Just wondering if anyone has their refund from Cunard yet?  Our Japan to Vancouver cruise was cancelled way earlier in the year and nothing yet. Our TA keeps asking the local NZ agent who then refers to the Australian agent. Has anyone had any success?

We were also booked on that one - as far as I know NOBODY in AUS or NZ has received a cent back from Cunard so far- my understanding is that all Carnival Corp cruiselines are handled out of one Office in Australia and P&O AUS customers are receiving refunds. It seems like Cunard customers are being totally ignored. Our cruise was cancelled by Cunard on 19 February - with an email from them promising full refund but no details of How, when, or where! Absolute silence from Cunard since then. I would not touch Cunard with a wooden bargepole in the future!!!!

HELP PLEASE! Lol

Ok, so got an email from Cunard just now saying they are refunding me by cheque BUT they are sending it to completely the wrong address- they're sending it to another building in London with the same name. I was wondering what to do?

Also HOW LONG would it take the cheque to come through the post- I've managed to contact the other address and they've said they'll keep a look out but I have no idea when to expect the cheque...

Thanks so much in advance and I hope we can all make it through!!!!!!! I miss cruising!!!!! xxx

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

... - as far as I know NOBODY in AUS or NZ has received a cent back from Cunard so far- ...

Not for cruise refunds, no. But posts #461 and #485 show refunds of expenses. Not great, but a start.

For anyone interested I'm seeing 3 US cruise refunds and 12 UK cruise refunds (plus one undeclared location, probably UK).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bazzaw said:

We were also booked on that one - as far as I know NOBODY in AUS or NZ has received a cent back from Cunard so far-

You're mistaken - people from your end of the world are mentioning refunds arriving on one or two Cunard groups on social media. You're a member of about the only one that's not clogged up with discussions about refunds so try looking around a bit. 

4 hours ago, kentchris said:

You're mistaken - people from your end of the world are mentioning refunds arriving on one or two Cunard groups on social media. You're a member of about the only one that's not clogged up with discussions about refunds so try looking around a bit. 

It would be wonderful if what you say is true - however I do not believe you. You are mistaken some people have received their pre-paids back only - and why shouldn't they?? It has all been paid by Credit Card. I would be delighted to hear that any AUS/NZ passengers have received a refund of their fares.

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

It would be wonderful if what you say is true - however I do not believe you. You are mistaken some people have received their pre-paids back only - and why shouldn't they?? It has all been paid by Credit Card. I would be delighted to hear that any AUS/NZ passengers have received a refund of their fares.

Bazzaw I agree. I do not think many in Aust or NZ have received refunds at this stage. Just some communication would be helpful. Our cruises were cancelled a long time ago, ours was the night before sailing. I feel for you, because you have a lot more money outstanding  than us. 

30 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Bazzaw I agree. I do not think many in Aust or NZ have received refunds at this stage. Just some communication would be helpful. Our cruises were cancelled a long time ago, ours was the night before sailing. I feel for you, because you have a lot more money outstanding  than us. 

I also agree

still waiting for our 1st April QE cruise to be refunded ... I think its time for a class action against Cunard Frankly if I have not been paid by the middle of June , then its off to to the Lawyers   fair is fair they have held my cash for long enough

Requested refund 16/3/2020   still waiting 

An outstanding debt should go to a collection agency when it is 90-120 days past due. 

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

JohnnyLikely

I received the Cunard email confirming the refund is being sent by cheque on 4 June.

However, I actually received the cheque in the post on 1 June (cheque is dated 28 May). 

It's worth following up on the situation due to our email being received after the cheque.

Anyone from the uk watch ‘ can’t pay, we’ll take it way’ ?

That could be an option ( if you booked direct with Cunard), take them to the small claims court, escalate to a high court writ, if they still don’t pay up... then send in the Bayliffs ( high court sheriffs).

i wonder if the Queen Victoria counts as an asset the courts can seize ? Lol I’d like to set that on TV. The bailiffs seizing a ship. In one episode the did visit Easy jet and were talking about seizing a plane lol

An update: I booked through uk TA, just had an email from my TA confirming my refund should be 60days from when I filled in the online Cunard refund form. That’s was 23rd April... so still a while to go. 

• Thanks 1

Hi, 

I received a refund today for the amount that I paid on the Cunard Voyage Personaliser for shore excursions. I submitted the refund on March 30 for the Queen Victoria cruise that was scheduled to depart on April 26. The refund appeared on the credit card that I used to purchase the excursions. I still need a refund for the cruise fare, but at least I am making progress.

Chuck

Happy to tell you full refund, including flights received this afternoon for May 9th Sydney to Vancouver QE cruise.

I applied for the refund around second week April so within the 60 days.

I didn't otherwise contact Cunard and only knew about the refund when I checked my CC statement just now, so no accompanying email.

All I have to do now is get the hefty amounts off three CCs and back into my 'fun fund'.

I am in UK.

• Like 3

On 6/1/2020 at 4:23 PM, Dahani said:

I have been notified by my TA that my refund is being credited to my credit card today. 

We were booked on the Circumnavigation of Australia which was cancelled on 30th March. 

I was given a date of about the first week in June on my initial contact with the TA for my refund. 

On 14th May the TA gave me a RCN dated 31.1.21. I told them it was unacceptable and on the same day I did a Section 75 claim with my credit card. They told me it would take no more than 6 weeks to get my refund. 

My credit card company called on 26th May to request further documentation. 

I am in the UK

The money finally arrived on my credit card this morning. 

It has taken 23 days since I put in a Section 75 claim to receiving the money. 

Good luck to the rest of you, I hope you get your money soon. 

I will never book with Cunard ever again. 

Hello again 

£1600 - Money for pre-booked excursions has been credited to our credit card this morning 

in actual fact Cunard credited £41 more than we actually paid - I assume it’s because of an exchange rate difference as the excursions were priced in US dollars and we paid in UK pounds ??

So it’s a start - but we are still owed 6K for the trip paid to Cunard via our travel agents so now we just have to focus on getting that back 

1 hour ago, Dahani said:

The money finally arrived on my credit card this morning. 

It has taken 23 days since I put in a Section 75 claim to receiving the money. 

Good luck to the rest of you, I hope you get your money soon. 

I will never book with Cunard ever again. 

That is good news . 83 days on and broken promises from Cunard along the way that my refund was imminent,  I am seriously considering taking the Section 75 route. When that happens my relationship with this brand (which was starting to be my favourite because of the grills) will end too and the many thousands I spend on cruising each year will go elsewhere. 

Edited by Clagmeister

Great news Aussies - today I saw two social media posts from Australian customers who booked through TAs who have both received their fare refunds for their 9 March Sydney Yokohama QE cruise.  A long wait ahead for my 12 April QE 27 night Circumnavigation Australia refund.

I spoke to Cunard Australia yesterday: said they couldn't access my booking, I said that during my previous call to Cunard they could, miraculously she found she could access it, said my refund was entered manually on 8 April, I said no I've had an email confirming they could see it in the system and dated 30 March, I asked why Cunard couldn't send me a cheque as happens with Cunard UK, she didn't she know why, I asked her to ask her manager, she came back saying it was Cunard policy, I said policy can be flexible, I want my refund directly not via the TA, she said no it has to go to the TA so they can get their commission, I said TAs in the UK must get a commission, I don't think they work for free, and Cunard UK send the cheque to the customer, I said my TA has already said they aren't charging a cancellation fee if the cruise line cancels, so send me my cheque as happens in the UK. I said it's now 66 days since I requested a refund, I'll have to report Cunard to the ACCC, Fair Trading and if necessary the small claims tribunal. Have a good weekend!   

Happy to see a 12 April QE 27 night Circumnavigation Australia passenger has received their refund - where's mine? 

To be continued..

BTW, when asked on social media, a Cunard UK passenger said they send the cheque to the customer not the TA due to data protection laws. Is this correct? 

Edited by Edithclara
add extra, spelling