Pause on P&O cruises now extended to end of July

sidekick180

Well, Just received an email from P&O to say that they have cancelled our cruise, which was scheduled for 11th July 2020. They have extended the pause on all cruise operations until 31st July.

I am really unhappy about this because we booked it well over a year ago, but on the other hand, I am weirdly relieved because it would obviously have been a bit of a risk, especially as there would still not be a vaccine by that time. I am also very glad to still be healthy and alive. Yes it is an annoyance, but with everything else that is going on, it's only a minor niggle. I'm sure things will get back on track eventually, and I will be able to look forward to booking another cruise with P&O maybe next year. By the way, I went for the full cash refund rather than the FCC. Not for any other reason than the fact that I am currently not earning any money as I am self employed. On that point, I would like to let you know that there was some small print at the foot of the email, stating that if I had chosen the FCC, I would still be able to get a full refund if P&O went into liquidation. Just thought those of you that had gone for the FCC might like to know this if you didn't already know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, sidekick180 said:

On that point, I would like to let you know that there was some small print at the foot of the email, stating that if I had chosen the FCC, I would still be able to get a full refund if P&O went into liquidation. Just thought those of you that had gone for the FCC might like to know this if you didn't already know.

Sorry you’ll be missing your cruise, but as you say it’s the safest option.

Would you mind sharing that small print with us please?  I think it might answer quite a few questions.

20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sorry you’ll be missing your cruise, but as you say it’s the safest option.

Would you mind sharing that small print with us please?  I think it might answer quite a few questions.

I will see if I can find it again, then I will copy and paste it on here. I imagine that is allowed, and I wont be breaking any rules?

Here is some of the small print that I found at the bottom of the email, which I received from P&O this morning. This was on the email they sent me advising me of the cancellation of my Ventura cruise 11th July 2020. It shows the 'BONDING' for FCC based on protection by ABTA or ATOL.

not sure if this would still apply if ABTA or ATOL decide to change their policies in the future. Anything can happen really during this Covid-19 pandemic. Hopefully this might at least give some peace of mind to those that have opted for FCC.

Here is the small print:

Bonding: 100% of the price you paid for your cruise and held as an FCC is protected by ABTA or ATOL, so in the unlikely event of P&O Cruises insolvency, your money will be refunded under those financial protection arrangements. Please retain all booking documentation, receipts, confirmation, invoice documents, ATOL Certificate (for fly-cruises) and your proof of payment, such as credit card statements.

• Like 2

We will take the FCC as the money in the bank won't make a lot. My only gripe is that currently you can only upgrade an existing cruise and not use the FCC towards the final balance. Maybe that will change if  P&O recognise they would have to refund monies later.

25 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We will take the FCC as the money in the bank won't make a lot. My only gripe is that currently you can only upgrade an existing cruise and not use the FCC towards the final balance. Maybe that will change if  P&O recognise they would have to refund monies later.

I thought someone had already reported that FCCs could now be applied against existing bookings?

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought someone had already reported that FCCs could now be applied against existing bookings?

Only for upgrades to cabins, we asked if we could use it towards a future booked cruise (Jan 2022) with just deposit paid and were told no. If we don't find another cruise with P&O before that I will ring P&O and explain that they either let us pay the FCC towards that cruise or give us a refund.

Thank you very much for the post. Very clear, informative and straightforward. I love to see actual cases being resolved. I am surprised you didnt have any problems in the process. Yes, its a pity you wont be cruising this summer, but I am sure you will figure out something else to do in a long run. 

Edited by Roger88

3 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I love to see actual cases being resolved. I am surprised you didnt have any problems in the process. Yes

Well, of course, the problem comes with getting the refund. Very, very few people have so far got a refund for cruises cancelled a couple of months ago,  so I'm not too sure I agree with your assessment of the process. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

Wasn't sure whether to take the FCC to help the cruiseline but after reading the posts on the Princess pages about ships going into cold closure and Covid19 widows suing the company I've opted for the refund.

Don't think we'll be cruising for a long long time although it was great while it lasted, first cruise Ocean Village 2004, 32 cruises since, last one Majestic Princess curtailed in Fremantle on 22nd February 2020.

We were booked on Iona 23 may obviously not going now but my question is booked with a popular online cruise company so where does my fcc go, and do I have to re book with them or is/can booking with P&O a better option.thanks

Well just cancelled our Cruise which was due in August and due to be paid in around a week (shame as we would have had £400 on board spending money). Have gone for the 110% FCC on our deposit already paid although the cruise we wanted to go on is not the same next year. Hopefully if we can't find anything we fancy we can try and get a cash refund later down the line.

Do I need to deal with the cps parking which I have booked or will P&O just deal with that?

8 minutes ago, glennbtn said:

Well just cancelled our Cruise which was due in August and due to be paid in around a week (shame as we would have had £400 on board spending money). Have gone for the 110% FCC on our deposit already paid although the cruise we wanted to go on is not the same next year. Hopefully if we can't find anything we fancy we can try and get a cash refund later down the line.

Do I need to deal with the cps parking which I have booked or will P&O just deal with that?

If you took the ‘free parking’ option then obviously you have nothing at stake, but I would just email them out of courtesy. I don’t believe that P&O contact them when customers cancel. If, however, you paid for the parking then you should be able to get a refund. Others have reported success with this. I’ve also cancelled a summer cruise (July) but thought that I would get 100% of my deposit as FCC. Have I misunderstood that? 

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

If you took the ‘free parking’ option then obviously you have nothing at stake, but I would just email them out of courtesy. I don’t believe that P&O contact them when customers cancel. If, however, you paid for the parking then you should be able to get a refund. Others have reported success with this. I’ve also cancelled a summer cruise (July) but thought that I would get 100% of my deposit as FCC. Have I misunderstood that? 

This is where I was to cancel this morning https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories/flexible-cancellation-policy

There was a separate section for anyone cruising in August. I believe it also says for up to 31st July 110% FCC or 100% refund

27 minutes ago, glennbtn said:

This is where I was to cancel this morning https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories/flexible-cancellation-policy

There was a separate section for anyone cruising in August. I believe it also says for up to 31st July 110% FCC or 100% refund

Thanks. That confirms what I thought. If you cancel an August cruise now you will get 100% of your deposit as FCC, not 110%.