Pause on P&O cruises now extended to end of July

sidekick180

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. That confirms what I thought. If you cancel an August cruise now you will get 100% of your deposit as FCC, not 110%. 

And you are still limited to only using it against cruises up to end of March 2022, so unless P&O make a further change you won't be able to use it against the summer 2022 cruises, assuming they launch in September as normal.

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

And you are still limited to only using it against cruises up to end of March 2022, so unless P&O make a further change you won't be able to use it against the summer 2022 cruises, assuming they launch in September as normal.

The rules do indeed say that John, but when I called P&O to convert our £350 deposit on our Summer cruise to FCC the other week I specifically asked if, when Summer 2022 cruises are launched, I would be able to use the FCC against one. He said yes, followed by, let me just double check and then he spoke to a colleague who confirmed the same. Now, as we know, you can ask three different people at P&O the same question and get three completely different answers, so the acid test will be at the next launch. 

41 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Just read Italy's borders will stay closed to foreign tourists until the end of the year.

... at the very least.

I think it’s terribly naive to think international travel will return to 2019-style any time soon.

14 day quarantine for arriving travellers, as mooted for UK in today’s news, won’t do a lot for the tourist industry!

Maybe I’m being unduly pessimistic but I think it’s quite possible that, at 70 now, I will never travel abroad again.  I’m so glad I travelled where I did, when I did.  Carpe diem everyone

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

... at the very least.

I think it’s terribly naive to think international travel will return to 2019-style any time soon.

14 day quarantine for arriving travellers, as mooted for UK in today’s news, won’t do a lot for the tourist industry!

Maybe I’m being unduly pessimistic but I think it’s quite possible that, at 70 now, I will never travel abroad again.  I’m so glad I travelled where I did, when I did.  Carpe diem everyone

Cheer up.  There are plenty of fantastic places in the UK to visit. I'm feeling much the same way about overseas travel,  but really optimistic about revisiting places such as Cornwall, Northumberland and Norfolk again.  Even Birmingham and Hull too.

That 14 day quarantine  - can't seem to find out whether it will apply to UK citizens returning home after a holiday abroad or not.  If it does, it will kill travelling abroad altogether. 

I’m not “uncheery” but thanks for the thought anyway.

You are right about all that is available without using a passport.  I hope the home tourist & hospitality industry will be able to step up to the plate, once the time comes.

Better, more integrated, public transport would help older stay-at-homers too

Can always “cruise” the canals & rivers of Britain on a narrow boat. 

we have been thinking of hiring a motor home for 2021 and wandering around Britain in that, assuming of course there are no internal restrictions on travel by then. 

Edited by Snow Hill
Pressed wrong key

32 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Can always “cruise” the canals & rivers of Britain on a narrow boat. 

we have been thinking of hiring a motor home for 2021 and wandering around Britain in that, assuming of course there are no internal restrictions on travel by then. 

We used to own a narrow boat,  and had some great times on her, although I think that as we are now a bit older the locks might be a bit if a challenge.

We did price up a 4 berth boat for the end of September: £1400 for 7 days! If I could be sure it wouldn't rain, we might go for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Cheer up.  There are plenty of fantastic places in the UK to visit. I'm feeling much the same way about overseas travel,  but really optimistic about revisiting places such as Cornwall, Northumberland and Norfolk again.  Even Birmingham and Hull too.

That 14 day quarantine  - can't seem to find out whether it will apply to UK citizens returning home after a holiday abroad or not.  If it does, it will kill travelling abroad altogether. 

Just looking at where to use our TUI and BA vouchers this winter. Also looking at Iona for next year. Cornwall/Devon perhaps late summer this year. No time to slash my wrists just yet. Too many places to see. Looking at some of the gloom on this site the resorts in the UK will be fairly quiet.😁

Edited by zap99
Punctuation

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Just looking at where to use our TUI and BA vouchers this winter. Also looking at Iona for next year. Cornwall/Devon perhaps late summer this year. No time to slash my wrists just yet. Too many places to see. Looking at some of the gloom on this site the resorts in the UK will be fairly quiet.😁

Last year we'd booked to go camping in Dorset for August this year.  As long as the site is open and travel restrictions have been relaxed, we're going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Last year we'd booked to go camping in Dorset for August this year.  As long as the site is open and travel restrictions have been relaxed, we're going.

We are just about near enough to the Dorset coast for a day trip,so may get down there before you. If not I'm sure hotels we be open by August,so campsites definitely. Just watch out for the Adders on the Heathlands in August.😁

Have just requested a full refund on my 2 July cruises.

Was looking at a FCC and spending the extra 25% on a better cabin. 

But when I looked and compared my 12 night Canaries Cruise in a Suite on Ventura, for the same Cruise, same ship and same cabin but for Christmas 2021, the price was 40% more.

So this FCC incentive is not as good as you think it is, IMHO.

Looked at Marella for simular cruise and found that with flights, 2 more days, 6 more ports of call, and drinks included, it was 30% cheaper.

• Like 1

Just checked the price we paid on launch for our Ventura Canaries cruise leaving end of October 2020 (hopefully) with an equivalent cruise on Ventura in October 2021 and the same aft suite in 2021 is coming out a little bit more expensive than what we paid for 2020 but with increased OBC. Overall, little change.

8 hours ago, SausPud said:

Looked at Marella for simular cruise and found that with flights, 2 more days, 6 more ports of call, and drinks included, it was 30% cheaper.

I hope that's not on the Celebration... 

They have retired her, cancelling her 2021 itinerary.. 

Andy 

• Haha 1

On 4/28/2020 at 9:58 AM, Eddie99 said:

... at the very least.

Royal Caribbean have withdrawn their insistence of doctors signing letter's of fit to travel for over 70s and any others with health conditions.

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

I hope that's not on the Celebration... 

They have retired her, cancelling her 2021 itinerary.. 

Andy 

No, thankfully.

Looking at Explorer.

Love Marella and love the 4 new larger ships.

Or might be tempted with the newer ship to be announced next week.

1 hour ago, SausPud said:

newer ship 

Only 20 years old then?

As an aside, the vitriol on social media about TUI and their handling of refunds makes P&O look totally angelic.

If any company is coming out of this situation really badly,  and there is plenty of choice, TUI are the clear winners.

Edited by wowzz

How long now until we see another video from Ludlow's sitting room in light of the fact Princess, HAL and Seabourn have now extended their 'pause' through the majority of the year??

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/global-ship-operations-pause-2020-summer-season.html

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory.html

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/news/press-release/2020-press-releases/pr-20200505-seabourn-extends-pause-to-global-ship-operations-into-october-november-2020.html

Edited by Captain_Morgan

1 hour ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Given that P&O have cancelled up to the end of July I think we will see him again mid June.  

• Like 1

Bloomberg are reporting that Princess Cruises have now cancelled their entire Summer 2020 sailings. As the worst affected Carnival line maybe they have done this to take the heat off any of the other group lines if they do try to re-start cruising this summer.

Given how slow the curve in the UK is coming down, I think another Ludlow lecture is due in the coming weeks. Whether they extend cancellations till the end of Sept or till 2021 I’m not sure? 

Sadly, I fear that the Summer 2020 programme will be cancelled in its entirety. The Winter fly cruise programmes must also be in doubt, given the logistics of flying passengers out every fortnight if social distancing requirements result in planes flying at reduced capacity.

The email from P&O this morning, on protecting loyalty status, doesn’t give the impression that they are expecting to move anytime soon

” ...  We will be protecting the tier status you had achieved by 16 March 2020 (the date our cruise operations were paused from), and your benefits will be fully protected for two years - up to and including 31 March 2022. There is no need to do anything; your loyalty status will be automatically protected.  ...”