Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

It's irrational exuberance.  It's the same type of thinking that has been propelling the Market in recent weeks.

I was wondering if anyone else might have felt that, after a record length run up in the Market, when a serious adjustment might have been expected in the best of times, that an effective deflation of our consumer economy might be unavoidable.

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I was wondering if anyone else might have felt that, after a record length run up in the Market, when a serious adjustment might have been expected in the best of times, that an effective deflation of our consumer economy might be unavoidable.

I have not paid attention to the stock market since 1968 which was the last time I invested and lost.

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have not paid attention to the stock market since 1968 which was the last time I invested and lost.

Then you must have a ton of money in the bank! Bob's IRA is 90% taxable as capital gains because of the glory of the market. Well, other factors but the market was a huge part of it. 

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

I will never go into that kind of facility.

LOL. The place that we have our eyes on is simply stunning with a plethora of on and off site activities. And, unfortunately, you may have no choice.

University-House-Wallingford-Residents.jpg

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Same here.  Mrs Ldubs has promised she will keep me at home better or worse.   

It's almost impossible for a family member to physically and medically perform everything 24/7.

Another photo 🙂

University-House-Wallingford-Outdoor-Dining.jpg

5 minutes ago, clo said:

It's almost impossible for a family member to physically and medically perform everything 24/7.

Another photo 🙂

Foolish conclusion.  Did you purposely ignore the possibility of outside support including, if needed, even the live-in kind.    

• Like 3

Just now, ldubs said:

Foolish conclusion.  Did you purposely ignore the possibility of outside support including, if needed, even the live-in kind.    

Not at all. Live-in, 24-7 help is even more expensive. We have friends whose brother had a stroke. (I think I'm accurate on these numbers.) Live-in help was $9k/mo and a studio apt. was something like $6k/mo. A friend of a friend is dealing with it with a parent and he and his partner have been unable to to go anywhere for a couple of years. It's not simple. I'm not unsympathetic but our family experience really opened our eyes.

7 hours ago, clo said:

Not at all. Live-in, 24-7 help is even more expensive. We have friends whose brother had a stroke. (I think I'm accurate on these numbers.) Live-in help was $9k/mo and a studio apt. was something like $6k/mo. A friend of a friend is dealing with it with a parent and he and his partner have been unable to to go anywhere for a couple of years. It's not simple. I'm not unsympathetic but our family experience really opened our eyes.

There is a wide range of options between a single family member doing everything and live-in care.  Each family needs to decide what options work best for them and there is no single answer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fyree39 said:

So, never say never. You don't know if your particular aging process will be an easy one for your caregivers.

Thank you so much for elaborating. My point in bringing this up here is to remind people or point out that there's generally a gap, sometimes a huge one, between traveling and when we go to our great reward (hopefully, whatever that may be). We're managing our money to take that into account. So our travel will never be the most expensive. The place we've found has both "senior" and "assisted" setups and most of what you mention. And they've started moving into memory care.

Again, thanks for giving your family's story. And I hope you get to travel for a long, long time. 

Cath

4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

There is a wide range of options between a single family member doing everything and live-in care.  Each family needs to decide what options work best for them and there is no single answer.

Thank you so much.  The contrarian view is so tiring.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clo said:

Thank you very much for your version of our reality.    Our plans, which are already underway, are sound and we are well aware of the costs involved.      

13 hours ago, clo said:

LOL. The place that we have our eyes on is simply stunning with a plethora of on and off site activities. And, unfortunately, you may have no choice.

University-House-Wallingford-Residents.jpg

People entering assisted living facilities or nursing homes tend to not get better and never leave there.My lawyer and his wife passed away in 2017.They were both in a beautiful facility that looked more like a lavish hotel .He died after being there 3 months and she after 6.

17 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Thank you very much for your version of our reality.    Our plans, which are already underway, are sound and we are well aware of the costs involved.      

You're welcome. And I'm sure you know that you're in the minority. Unless people who go on cruises are a lot different than the population(s) that we've run into for a long, long time. Congratulations sincerely.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

People entering assisted living facilities or nursing homes tend to not get better and never leave there.My lawyer and his wife passed away in 2017.They were both in a beautiful facility that looked more like a lavish hotel .He died after being there 3 months and she after 6.

That's a terrible shame. And I'm glad the place we're considering doesn't have those statistics.

9 minutes ago, clo said:

That's a terrible shame. And I'm glad the place we're considering doesn't have those statistics.

That is good but hopefully you and a Bob will never have to go to one.If you do it will be because you desire to go to one.

Mrs.66 and I live in a town house condominium complex with every amenity you could possibly think of .

24 minutes ago, clo said:

Mrs.66 has told me that if she happens to leave the planet before I do that I may have no choice and have to enter a facility.My mother passed away in 1979 and my father went into a facility and hated it.My wife and I were living in a two bedroom apartment with our two daughters but took my father in to live with us.He slept in the living room and passed away 2 years later.We were looking to buy a house at the time so that he would have a better life.

25 minutes ago, clo said:

You're welcome. And I'm sure you know that you're in the minority. Unless people who go on cruises are a lot different than the population(s) that we've run into for a long, long time. Congratulations sincerely.

i was not being sincere when I said thank you.     

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Have you made a counter-pledge to her?

Heck no.  She is on her own.   🙄