Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

One thing I thought about is that it would be hard to eat your meals. Would the pool(s) be closed? Etc.But then I saw these photos of nurses after wearing their masks.

https://scoop.upworthy.com/healthcare-workers-share-painful-effects-wearing-face-masks-prolonged-periods-of-time?fbclid=IwAR02iq3t7SQa8y26JaZ8hiGG094e7XtO3MHnvGVZU0xoUXTTFYqo3XM4mdE

Those who would be ready to cruise NOW...or before there's a "robust" vaccine...what if the cruise line required masks? Would you wear one? I've thought that I could handle it on a ten hour flight but not a ten day cruise.  You???

No.  I would rather have my temperature taken or be tested for the virus before boarding than wear a mask on a cruise.  I would not mind it at all if masks are required for flying.  I would actually prefer that than possibly being seated next to a person constantly coughing into the air.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

A mask does not protect you from the virus.

A mask will prevent an infected person from spreading the virus.

The only reason masks are being pushed now is to keep the asymptomatic person from spreading the virus.

I know that.

16 minutes ago, Roz said:

Absolutely not.  Too hot and uncomfortable.

Add to the reasons posted:  if one has shortness of breath issues, that's a potential problem.  My glasses fog, although, given time, they will clear.  Only to fog again.  Some of us have an ear anatomy that makes it difficult for the elastic straps to be help hold the masks in place.  

18 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The only reason masks are being pushed now is to keep the asymptomatic person from spreading the virus.

The N95 does protect you from the tiny virus particles but I found it hard to breathe while wearing it.  I wouldn't go on a cruise if I had to wear one.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Add to the reasons posted:  if one has shortness of breath issues, that's a potential problem.  My glasses fog, although, given time, they will clear.  Only to fog again.  Some of us have an ear anatomy that makes it difficult for the elastic straps to be help hold the masks in place.  

Good to know I am not the only one with the problem of my glasses fogging up.

12 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Good to know I am not the only one with the problem of my glasses fogging up.

It's not an unusual problem.  Couple of solutions:  a folded kleenex along the nose line absorbs that pesky moisture before it reaches the glasses.  Or, stitch a pipe cleaner along the nose edge to form the mask to the contours of the nose/cheek area.

I made my masks with elastic straps that go around my head, not my ears.  Much more comfortable that way.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

The only reason masks are being pushed now is  to keep the asymptomatic person from spreading the virus.

I guess that is why all the medical people are wearing them, because they are asymptomatic and might give it to the COVID19 patients who already have it, the brilliance of it all, LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What kind of sense does requiring a mask make on cruises? How do you drink anything with a mask on? How do you eat with a mask on? If you won't have your mask on while in the bars or dining areas, then what use is a mask the rest of the time? That's a bit like using a condom only half the time.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

I guess that is why all the medical people are wearing them, because they are asymptomatic and might give it to the COVID19 patients who already have it, the brilliance of it all, LOL

Surgical masks are not to protect the wearer, but the patient being operated on.  That's the reason, to stop an asymptomatic person from spreading the disease unknowingly.  

N95 masks do protect the wearer,  as well as others they come in contact with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

A mask CAN limit your intake of droplets from nearby persons  —-  course it is not a sure thing, but ANY barrier to infection is better than none.   Similarly, a mask DOES limit your spreading infection (more effectively than it can protect you) but it is not sufficiently  effective to warrant an actively infected person going out in public.

4D3ACD86-3840-4CB7-84C5-5A77A1C260B3.jpeg

One can debate the numbers but it amazed me how long the US and most western countries dragged their feet on the mask thing.   In the Far East it is pretty much accepted during this pandemic to be wearing them 

To the earlier poster, I agree for someone sick it is common courtesy on the Far East to wear a mask, no such care in the West, they care more about appearance and comfort than health of fellow man

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 2

I asked this because there are people who have said that they would travel immediately upon cruises being available. I'm guessing no vaccine would be available. And the tests take a couple of days or more to come back and would need to be done right before boarding. And lack of fever doesn't mean that someone isn't infected and contagious but asymptomatic. Does a cruise line have any responsibility - legal or ethical - if they resume operations when the passengers are in no better standing than they were back at the beginning of this? I don't see how a ship can provide space for social distancing. Those hallways are awfully narrow. Would they take out half the tables and chairs in any public venue - something that may be mandatory in US restaurants? From what I've read restaurants would go broke as their margins are so slim already. And what about protecting the crew? They'd need private rooms, wouldn't they? And on and on. It was just something that popped into my stay-at-home mind.

Edited by clo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

4D3ACD86-3840-4CB7-84C5-5A77A1C260B3.jpeg

One can debate the numbers but it amazed me how long the US and most western countries dragged their feet on the mask thing.   In the Far East it is pretty much accepted during this pandemic to be wearing them 

To the earlier poster, I agree for someone sick it is common courtesy on the Far East to wear a mask, no such care in the West, they care more about appearance and comfort than health of fellow man

I've seen the above graphic and think it's superb. Thanks for sharing.