Cruises Cancelled Through End of June

mrlevin

4 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

I will stipulate in advance to my general ignorance of the cruise line business. 

That being said, the expenses you mentioned look to me to be generic costs of getting going again that will be incurred whenever cruising is restarted. What is different about Alaska cruising?  How is starting the Alaska season different than starting a Caribbean season?

I know Canadian ports are closed for now. I suspect that is true of many Caribbean ports as well. My question is about financial costs of starting a cruise season, not border issues. 

Regent will sail to Caribbean for months with maybe multiple ships.  Miami cruise terminal cost only.  If Alaska season doesn't start until 5 August only around eight cruises and max of eight stops in any one port.  Mainstream lines minimize cost by continually running same or very similar itineraries (e.g., western followed by easter Caribbean).  Regent more expensive as they usually vary embarkation and debarkation ports EXCEPT for Alaska season (and using Miami for all Caribbean cruises).  I think eight weeks with probability that Canada could officially curtail at some point makes Alaska a losing proposition for Regent (and Celebrity which still has three ships slated for Alaska).  Disney just cancelled all cruises through 27 July so their Alaska season has gotten very short; but they are doing same as Regent and not cancelling the entire Alaska season . . . yet.

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Source please.

Friends in British Columbia.  They are cruisers so I tend to believe them but I should have said "allegedly".   It is factual that some cruise lines (Carnival is the biggest) have cancelled Alaska season completely and the port of Seattle has cancelled Alaska sailings indefinitely 

The border issue is still unresolved https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-canada-border-closure.html

1 hour ago, MightyQuinn said:

It may well be the case that Mariner will not go to Alaska until next year, but Canada hasn't "cancelled the Alaska season".  At the moment, Canadian ports are closed to cruise ships (>500 pax+crew) until July 1 per federal orders.  That date is under review and could be changed. 

In BC, the Provincial Health Officer announced on May 12 that even if cruise ships arrived in any BC port in July,  pax+crew would be under 14 day quarantine and wouldn't be able to come ashore.

https://www.vancourier.com/cruise-ships-told-not-to-stop-in-b-c-in-july-1.24134016

Thank you for the update.  I suspect that, even though Canada is not guided by U.S. rules, they will be affected by rulings in the U.S.  According to Frank Del Rio, they are following U.S. guidelines for cruises (at least at this time).  

10 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Regent will sail to Caribbean for months with maybe multiple ships.  Miami cruise terminal cost only.  If Alaska season doesn't start until 5 August only around eight cruises and max of eight stops in any one port.  Mainstream lines minimize cost by continually running same or very similar itineraries (e.g., western followed by easter Caribbean).  Regent more expensive as they usually vary embarkation and debarkation ports EXCEPT for Alaska season (and using Miami for all Caribbean cruises).  I think eight weeks with probability that Canada could officially curtail at some point makes Alaska a losing proposition for Regent (and Celebrity which still has three ships slated for Alaska).  Disney just cancelled all cruises through 27 July so their Alaska season has gotten very short; but they are doing same as Regent and not cancelling the entire Alaska season . . . yet.

Your reply doesn’t really seem to answer my question. Or maybe I’m even more ignorant than I thought. 

This information is not all true. There are still some cruise companies that are planning to start operations in June. Moreover, there are even those who plan to start in the second half of May. I would check all the available dates before making any conclusions. Its also different for different countries

3 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

This information is not all true. There are still some cruise companies that are planning to start operations in June. Moreover, there are even those who plan to start in the second half of May. I would check all the available dates before making any conclusions. Its also different for different countries

Would very much be interested in which cruise companies planning to start cruising after Saturday which begins the second half of May??  Sure they won't be sailing from or to US Ports as the no sail order remains in effect until July 24 or until extended or ended by the CDC so that pretty much eliminates any US Ports or Canadian ports for that matter as they are closed until at least July 1.

• Like 2

A bit of information: The Mariner will not do Alaska in 2021 - she will stay in Europe after the 21World Cruise and after the planned dry dock.

The Explorer will be in Alaska starting in late April/early May and ending in mid September.

FYI . . .

Peggy

Just now, xrvlcruiser said:

A bit of information: The Mariner will not do Alaska in 2021 - she will stay in Europe after the 21World Cruise and after the planned dry dock.

The Explorer will be in Alaska starting in late April/early May and ending in mid September.

FYI . . .

Peggy

And Explorer has no forward looking outside viewing space at all; worst choice for Alaska.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

What you posted makes sense - I had not thought of that.  There are many cruise lines that are based and owned by companies in other countries.  they certainly could be cruising next month.  Thank you for your input! 

23 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Regent cancelling through July...no source I can share here.

Thanks for the info.

Hardly surprising since FdR stated clearly in his recent interviews that NCLH ships were unlikely to resume operations until Sept/Oct at the earliest.

Plus Regent have had the July cruises marked "waitlisted" for a number of days.

22 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Then why does everybody like it so much?

Explorer is a beautiful & comfortable ship, with many outstanding features ............... but a few conspicuous & annoying design fails.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

What, really?  Then why does everybody like it so much?

I can only speak for ourselves but we love the open spaces - particularly on deck 5 where, in addition to Destination Services and Reception, there is the Business Center (aka computer room), GM's office, Cruise Consultant's office, the Executive Concierge plus a lot of seating.  Sofas near the window, tables and chairs in the middle, lots of light - just a nice place to hang out, work on the computer or people-watch.

The bathrooms in the F1/F2 suites (equal to the lower suites on other ships) have tons of storage space and a bathroom to die for (two sinks and a lot of storage). One could easily do a WC in these suites.

Pacific Rim is a great restaurant (I think that you've been on Oceania - it is similar but not identical to Red Ginger).  La Veeranda's buffet, that will be out of commission for a while, is completely different than the other ships with stations in the middle of the area so there are not the long lines that you see sometimes in La Veranda.  There are also two sanitizing stations in the middle so one can easily disinfect their hands after using spring utensils.

The gym is on two decks but is considerably larger than the other ships.  Some people enjoy the aft infinity pool.  It is an area that usually isn't crowded and is a good place to lay in the sun or read a book.  

The downsides are the infamous theater that, IMO, is not as bad as some say.  Yes - you cannot see well in the balcony and could have your view blocked by a column downstairs but, if you get there a few minutes before the show you can get a seat with sight lines that are just as good as the other ships.  We do not miss an outside viewing area.  We have had a forward suite with a huge balcony that was unusual most of the time due to the wind.  Some people miss an aft lounge.  Again, we do not as we often found it hot in the afternoon in that area.  Explorer does have two lounges mid-ship plus the Observation Lounge.

Everyone has their own tastes.  Our preference now is to only sail Explorer or Splendor.  We also feel that they could fairly easily be turned into a ship that would meet CDC guidelines.  In any case, it does have flaws but most things and people do as well - perhaps that is why I identify with her so much!

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

Regent cancelling through July...no source I can share here.

Still, just a month at a time; when will they advance to having a plan where they identify the five ships with which they are going to start and the embarkation ports for those ships.  Yes, they have acquired a lot of funds but still don't seem to have a plan going forward, at least a framework of a plan, that they will share.

Marc

edited to add:  When does Alaska season become so short that its not viable?  We are on last trip (relocation to LA) in Alaska; would like to know for sure this is cancelled before cancelling associated land trip.  If they wait until July to decide to formally cancel I need to wait to  cancel the land trip just in case they decide to have the trip as their initial Mariner trip.  

PPS I know, it is very unlikely to sail.

Edited by mrlevin

Marc - a lot has to do with Canada.  They are the ones that are keeping the border closed.  Even if Regent could sail out of Seattle (currently closed), they need to make a stop in Canada before or after they visit Alaska.  Really wish that the law that requires a stop in a foreign country would disappear.  It didn't accomplish what they wanted it to accomplish and I do not see that changing anytime soon (if ever).

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

I can only speak for ourselves but we love the open spaces - particularly on deck 5 where, in addition to Destination Services and Reception, there is the Business Center (aka computer room), GM's office, Cruise Consultant's office, the Executive Concierge plus a lot of seating.  Sofas near the window, tables and chairs in the middle, lots of light - just a nice place to hang out, work on the computer or people-watch.

The bathrooms in the F1/F2 suites (equal to the lower suites on other ships) have tons of storage space and a bathroom to die for (two sinks and a lot of storage). One could easily do a WC in these suites.

Pacific Rim is a great restaurant (I think that you've been on Oceania - it is similar but not identical to Red Ginger).  La Veeranda's buffet, that will be out of commission for a while, is completely different than the other ships with stations in the middle of the area so there are not the long lines that you see sometimes in La Veranda.  There are also two sanitizing stations in the middle so one can easily disinfect their hands after using spring utensils.

The gym is on two decks but is considerably larger than the other ships.  Some people enjoy the aft infinity pool.  It is an area that usually isn't crowded and is a good place to lay in the sun or read a book.  

The downsides are the infamous theater that, IMO, is not as bad as some say.  Yes - you cannot see well in the balcony and could have your view blocked by a column downstairs but, if you get there a few minutes before the show you can get a seat with sight lines that are just as good as the other ships.  We do not miss an outside viewing area.  We have had a forward suite with a huge balcony that was unusual most of the time due to the wind.  Some people miss an aft lounge.  Again, we do not as we often found it hot in the afternoon in that area.  Explorer does have two lounges mid-ship plus the Observation Lounge.

Everyone has their own tastes.  Our preference now is to only sail Explorer or Splendor.  We also feel that they could fairly easily be turned into a ship that would meet CDC guidelines.  In any case, it does have flaws but most things and people do as well - perhaps that is why I identify with her so much!

But as Flossie put some annoying serious design faults, lack of forward outside space is one, but the worst are the appalling design in the theatre where most of the upstairs cannot see the stage, plus the high noise level in the main part of compass rose. Also lots of wasted space near the spa and pacific rim. I also think the infinity pool at the back is not the best use of space and was seriously underused on out cruise on the Explorer.

• Like 2

I did acknowledged the theater issue in my post, however, in my opinion, there is a difference between a "design fault" (that the theater clearly is) and a design that some may not like. I do not consider the infinity pool or the lack of forward outdoor space to be a "design fault" as they were built correctly and according to Regent's design . From what I have heard, Regent was just as upset about the theater as passengers are.  It was not built to specification.  I have heard that this has been corrected on Splendor. There are aspects of the ship that some people dislike (just as the Navigator that does not have a foreword lounge...... it isn't really a "fault" but how it was designed).

Due to the cancellation of our cruise, I have not personally been on Splendor, however,  based on photographs of the ship, there are some slight changes on that ship that I do not care for (not a fault - just different design). One example of personal preference is the light decor of the Splendor and dark decor of Explorer.  We love the dark tones but others prefer the lighter tones.

Most Regent ships are quite different which gives us choices.  We sailed mostly on Voyager for years (also not a perfect ship) but changed to Explorer in the past couple of years.  Other guests love the Navigator or Mariner.  There is no right or wrong here - just preferences.

• Haha 2

If RCL provides an operation update, as promised, at tomorrow's earning call, then NCLH will be the only large cruise company without a published plan to restart cruising.  How long until the board removes FdR as CEO.

Marc

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

If RCL provides an operation update, as promised, at tomorrow's earning call, then NCLH will be the only large cruise company without a published plan to restart cruising.  How long until the board removes FdR as CEO.

Marc

IMO, it will not happen.  He was instrumental in NCLH obtaining the money.  I know that you don't like him but he is doing a good job.  CEO's of major cruise lines are not always popular - it is what they do for their shareholders and passengers that count.  

Just now, Travelcat2 said:

IMO, it will not happen.  He was instrumental in NCLH obtaining the money.  I know that you don't like him but he is doing a good job.  CEO's of major cruise lines are not always popular - it is what they do for their shareholders and passengers that count.  

Jason is the money man; he was the one that got the money to start Oceania.  FdR is a great idea man but Jason is the one that can get (has gotten) the money.

Marc

PS Glad to see that I am not on your ignore list. 😀

TC, are you saying that some of the things people don't like are faulty design, rather than design faults?  Sounds like semantics to me.  😃😄😁  Yes, I can see that some of the items you mention are personal preference, which could lead one to have an opinion that a design was faulty.  And yes, I am really looking forward to sailing and forming my own opinions.  😀

5 hours ago, SusieQft said:

TC, are you saying that some of the things people don't like are faulty design, rather than design faults?  Sounds like semantics to me.  😃😄😁  Yes, I can see that some of the items you mention are personal preference, which could lead one to have an opinion that a design was faulty.  And yes, I am really looking forward to sailing and forming my own opinions.  😀

No - to me it sounded as if the poster that I was responding to was calling things that he did not like faults.  In my typical Regent cheerleader fashion😇, I did not want people to think that the ship had a lot of flaws.  On the other hand, what you stated is valid also.

Pcardad- forgot what I refer to as the staircase to nowhere (which isn’t accurate) but can be frustrating.  We have a special feeling for Explorer - it is pretty unshakeable.  

• Marc - thank you for my last laugh before going to sleep (you aren’t on my other list either).🙃