SS/RCCL Finances: Improving, Options, Questions??!!

TLCOhio

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Or so the Bitcoin ads tell everyone.😃  in the last year Bitcoin price cut by 2/3s, Inflation at historic highs......hmmmmm....guess we won't see that in the Superbowl ads. Plus, it's  equity correlated now. Gee, can you tell I'm not a Crypto fan. 

We'll  see what the BOJ and ECB do with rates this Thursday. Cruise lines that locked in their debt servicing earlier are looking pretty good. 

Tell her to melt now and you'll buy her some new stuff when it falls off the cliff. If it doesn't.....well...... there are always CZs and Vermeil. 😂😂😂

William Devane said buy gold that's all I needed to know, back up the truck.   Wonder what the bid/ask is on that stuff.

What really got me excited about crypto was when I heard you can loose all your money with no recourse if someone hacks into your account.  Sign me up!!

Unfortunately the stores where I bought DWs gold charge a minor mark up so probably if gold went to $10 I'd still be behind buying it back.  ☹️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

William Devane said buy gold that's all I needed to know, back up the truck.   Wonder what the bid/ask is on that stuff.

What really got me excited about crypto was when I heard you can loose all your money with no recourse if someone hacks into your account.  Sign me up!!

Unfortunately the stores where I bought DWs gold charge a minor mark up so probably if gold went to $10 I'd still be behind buying it back.  ☹️

Ha, good analogy.  Gold as metal, whether it be coins or bullion, has never really been a good investment vehicle.  I know what all the buzz is, but consider that in 1979, golf skyrocketed to almost $900 per Troy once, then in the following years retreated to $300 +/- and stayed there for more than 10 years.

These companies selling gold, silver etc charge a pretty high premium over the market, and if you want to sell, that is another story and you had better sell back to where you bought it, or know a reputable refinery that will buy it, otherwise, selling or spending it is nearly impossible without paying another big premium.

In my 30+ years as a jewelry manufacturer, I bought, then sold, as product, a lot of gold.  In my investment portfolio, I own gold in the form of the GLD stock or as mining stocks, but keep little or no coins or bullion. As an investment, It is way to risky for me.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Ha, good analogy.  Gold as metal, whether it be coins or bullion, has never really been a good investment vehicle.   In my 30+ years as a jewelry manufacturer, I bought, then sold, as product, a lot of gold.  In my investment portfolio, I own gold in the form of the GLD stock or as mining stocks, but keep little or no coins or bullion. As an investment, It is way too risky for me.

Appreciate these great comments and follow-up about gold from Mr. Banjo.  Have never gone the gold "roll-of-the-dice" for us.  The husksters on TV tout it big-time, but never talk about when these values for gold and silver go down.  Or, fail to increase?  Did not realize their "fees" are so high for those peddling this "wishing and hoping"  product.  But, in fairness, inflation is a cruel tax and devaluation thief.   Lots of other interesting items posted on this thread.  Keep it coming!!  

For Royal Caribbean , it has been up, UP during the past day and a half of stock trading.  Up to $36.19 right now compared to its Monday opening at around $32.62.  That is a a jump of nearly 11% in a very short period.  Why??

From the Wall Street Journal's sister publication of Barrons mid-day Tuesday, they had this headline: Cruise Stocks Rally Further After CDC Ends Covid-19 Monitoring Program with these highlights:Cruise stocks were rising sharply Tuesday, rallying a day after the Centers for Disease Control ended its Covid-19 program for cruise ships.   The CDC’s program, which went into effect in mid-February, required cruise lines to report the number of cases on each ship, and then used a color-coded system to provide the status of Covid-19 cases onboard. Ships also were subject to certain testing requirements and a vaccination threshold.

Full story at:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/cruise-stock-cdc-covid-carnival-royal-caribbean-51658246951

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 31,419 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2022 at 10:50 AM, highplanesdrifters said:

Gee, can you tell I'm not a Crypto fan.   ...well...... there are always CZs and Vermeil. 😂😂😂

Add me to that camp not understanding and/or trusting the Crypto hype. Sounds like "snake oil" to me.  Or, am I being unfair to snakes?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Add me to that camp not understanding and/or trusting the Crypto hype.

Wasn't it Buffet who has said "if you don't understand it, don't invest in it".  

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Why??

All three of them finished the day up with CCL up 7+%, the most of the three.  Why?  

The news from the CDC has to be one reason.  And, based on the recent Morningstar report for CCL, a 5 Star rating could be a reason.  I don't know what the ratings are for NCLH or RCL.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

All three of them finished the day up with CCL up 7+%, the most of the three.  Why?  

No mystery; it's the CDC change. The markets are always hyper-reactive to any news. One piece of good news and all stocks in the sector soar; one piece of bad news, the opposite. Everyone knows there is some degree of pent-up demand for cruise travel, so the questions right now are (a) how easy it will be to travel, and (b) what impact inflation worries will have. The CDC change makes (a) a lot brighter. It doesn't mean cruise line are out of the woods yet, but it's positive news, allowing the very depressed prices to recover a bit. 

11 hours ago, cruiseej said:

No mystery; it's the CDC change. The markets are always hyper-reactive to any news. One piece of good news and all stocks in the sector soar; one piece of bad news, the opposite. Everyone knows there is some degree of pent-up demand for cruise travel, so the questions right now are (a) how easy it will be to travel, and (b) what impact inflation worries will have. The CDC change makes (a) a lot brighter. It doesn't mean cruise line are out of the woods yet, but it's positive news, allowing the very depressed prices to recover a bit. 

Appreciate these very good follow-ups from our neighbors in the Philadelphia and SW Ohio areas.  

From CBS News this morning, they had this headline: CDC stops monitoring COVID-19 cases on cruise ships with these highlights:The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has discontinued a program that tracked cases of COVID-19 aboard cruise ships in the U.S.  The decision to wind down the coronavirus tracking program for cruises was made in part because the agency believes the industry is capable of managing the risks on its own. Individual cruise lines may now set their own policies related to COVID-19, such as travel requirements for passengers and staff, as well as what protocols are implemented aboard ships.

Each cruise lines setting their own rules and requirements.  Is that progress and good?  Or, will there still be confusing and changing standards?

Full story at:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-cruise-ships-covid-19-tracking-program-ends/

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,018 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

On 7/18/2022 at 10:01 AM, RetiredandTravel said:

William Devane said buy gold that's all I needed to know, back up the truck

Sometimes I am as clueless as they come.  When I first read this I figured he was some money manager I was unfamiliar with.  Just googled him.  I'm dying!🤣

Thanks aging Terry for letting us play in your sandbox!

7 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Sometimes I am as clueless as they come.  When I first read this I figured he was some money manager I was unfamiliar with.  Just googled him.  I'm dying!🤣

Thanks aging Terry for letting us play in your sandbox!

No reason to call the man old.  We're all sort of in the same boat here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

No reason to call the man old.  We're all sort of in the same boat here.

@highplanesdrifters Terry is our much appreciated host here, go find another thread hosted by Warren Buffett please.

I reported you post.

Edited by AmazedByCruising

52 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

Carnival finished up 7% at 4 pm today and immediately dropped 8.5% in the next 1.5 hours (after hours).  At 4:15 pm it announced a $1.0B offering of common stock.

Maybe it's time to sell and begin the initiation of my strategy.  Thanks for posting this.  I was aware of the after hours drop, but, not aware of the reason.  

1 hour ago, AmazedByCruising said:

@highplanesdrifters Terry is our much appreciated host here, go find another thread hosted by Warren Buffett please.

I reported you post.

I'm lost.  Are you replying in jest? 

If not and you are serious that you "reported" Highplanesdrifter post or posts, what was the reason for reporting, or telling him to "go find another thread"?

This whole thread has been loose, fun financial and other banter vaguely centered around cruise stock price fluctuations.  I enjoy it even when it drifts off topic (or maybe even especially when it drifts off topic). I've even learned a few things (or at least things to look up). IMHO, the more the merrier.

I don't want Highplanesdrifters going anywhere, and I doubt Terry (indeed, much appreciated) does either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

If not and you are serious that you "reported" Highplanesdrifter post or posts, what was the reason for reporting, or telling him to "go find another thread"?

This whole thread has been loose, fun financial and other banter vaguely centered around cruise stock price fluctuations.  I enjoy it even when it drifts off topic (or maybe even especially when it drifts off topic). I've even learned a few things (or at least things to look up). IMHO, the more the merrier.

I don't want Highplanesdrifters going anywhere, and I doubt Terry (indeed, much appreciated) does either. 

That is just Mr. Compassionate being Mr. Compassionate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catlover54 said:

Either a jest, or a misunderstanding. I have to admit, I puzzled over this post for a while too.

Highplanesdrifters no doubt made a typo in the original post. It took me a while to find it: "Thanks AGING Terry for letting us play in your sandbox." was obviously meant as "Thanks AGAIN Terry..."

I think Retiredandtravel noticed the typo and made a funny reply about it. I completely missed the typo this morning and did not understand that post either.

Amazedbycruising, I don't think that any slight against Terry was meant in that post.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Highplanesdrifters no doubt made a typo in the original post. It took me a while to find it: "Thanks AGING Terry for letting us play in your sandbox." was obviously meant as "Thanks AGAIN Terry..."

Oh men.. Such a big mess of misunderstanding. 😞

I took RetiredandTravel "No reason to call the man old." serious because Highplanesdrifters also said "When I first read this I figured he was some money manager I was unfamiliar with." Aging & again are in completely different drawers for me, please understand I need to translate. 

Sorry guys! I tried to "unreport". 

Edited by AmazedByCruising
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

That is just Mr. Compassionate being Mr. Compassionate. 

I think another cultural or language problem to be solved while we're at it. It wasn't about cake.

I hoped to say that a former stock broker shouldn't "still feel sickened" for clients who lost money and couldn't afford it. Because it's not her problem, not her fault, she was doing their job. 

Yes, people can get from rich to poor really quickly, but they were informed grown ups, with money, who decided to "gamble". (most people don't play this game because they don't have the money). Don't gamble if you cannot afford to lose, and the dealer should feel bad for showing Black Jack.

• Like 1

We were kidding. Jeeez

I referenced William Devane "the actor" who does commercials for a company that sells gold. Google William Devane Gold

Highplainsdrifter found it funny , which it was intended to be, and then complimented Terry for his dedication to the thread but instead of "again" typed aging so I made another joke about his typo.  Its pretty rich me making fun of his typo being I'm the king of typos.

Everyone appreciate Terry and what his thread brings to the table.

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

I reported you post.

Cleanup on aisle 6.

Edited by saminina
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

We were kidding. Jeeez

Everyone appreciate Terry and what his thread brings to the table.

All of us have have had our typo challenges, spell-correct moments, fat-finger mistakes, etc.  Appreciate these great comments and kind follow-ups.  We keep on plugging, trying to figure out what happens next, etc.  

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had this headline: Cruise Stocks Party on False Hope" with this sub-headline: "Investors who cheered the end of the CDC’s Covid-19 program for cruise ships could find their money lost at sea.

Here are a couple of their story/analysis highlights: “It is as if cruise lines’ parents just left town and now everyone expects a giant house party to erupt at sea. Investors might want to hold off on tapping the keg. Certainly the news this week is 'a nice headline in an industry starved for nice headlines,' as Truist analyst Patrick Scholes put it. Regardless of what the CDC is or isn’t mandating, underlying risks to the industry haven’t changed. Cruise companies are carrying boatloads of new debt taken out over the past two years to make ends meet, and analysts expect their debt-to-income ratios will remain well above prepandemic levels even next year.”

Lots of "realism" in this detailed WSJ column.  Things are better, but "it" is not over and done.  My wife, an RN, is still concerned about future Covid variants and their continued flare-ups.  

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cruise-stocks-party-on-false-hope-11658401381

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Like 1