Favorite cruise port you would like to visit again?

George C

12 minutes ago, Ruthieofthesea said:

After almost fifty years of cruising and land trips I have many favorite ports. The most amazing sail in was Sydney.

Auckland

Dubai

Venice

Santorini

Hong Kong

Christ Church

Paris (river cruise)

I love to watch as the ship navigates to port, especially when they approach the dock from the side.

Happy cruising. 

Forgot about Santorini.  Love that island.  Always try to make sure we are in Fira at lunch time so we can go to Lucky's Souvlakis (best in all of the Greek isles, bar none).

With more than 50+ cruises since 1974 I have only 2 places that I'd return to.

Antarctica 

Tahiti and Society Islands. 

Looks like my 1st Viking River cruise may be broken if this Covid is still present in Aug 2020. Hoping that my Greenland trip on HAL for 2021 is going to happen also. 

Yes, The Marquesas!!!, Qeqertarsuaq, Longyearbyen, Faroe Islands, Seydisfjordur,  Commonwealth Bay, Pango Pango, Nuku'alofa, Rarotonga.

Santorini and other Greek Islands were nice, but too crowded 

Venice was spectacular .... arriving & leaving, but too many Tourists,

Alaska was very Scenic, but when there are 3, 4 or more Ships in any port - it's just MAYHEM .... never again!!

Edited by awinkl
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, clo said:

Did you go ashore? It was incredible.

Sadly no. I have a map with pins that look like a porcupine of all the places we've cruised to. Because the only place that had no pins was Antarctica we booked Feb 2019 on Celebrity Eclipse. I would love to have gone on the smaller ships that take you ashore in a RIB but due to mobility issues that wasn't possible. Loved the three days cruising around and seeing the wild life and scenery. My 1,2,3 top trips were Tahiti,Antarctica, Pacific crossings From Australia/NZ and hitting many the South Pacific Isles.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:09 AM, sverigecruiser said:

I think that some small ships dock on the Thames in London. Maybe Silversea?

Azamara does too.  Went out of there last year.  Someone - might be Silversea - goes fright from Tower Bridge area

11 hours ago, awinkl said:

Yes, The Marquesas!!!, Qeqertarsuaq, Longyearbyen, Faroe Islands, Seydisfjordur,  Commonwealth Bay, Pango Pango, Nuku'alofa, Rarotonga.

There are some there I've not heard of. I'll look them up.

• Like 1

Venice, Piraeus, Stockholm, Barcelona, Victoria, all New Zealand, Sydney, St Martin, Lisbon, Cork.  That’s a lot and several I’ve missed or haven’t been to yet: Edinburgh, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Iceland, Norwegian Fjords, Greek islands, Greenland, Mississippi River, Douro River. Dreams are wonderful things.

Stay safe and healthy!  Cruising will return!🤗

There are a couple of early morning arrival vignettes which are favorite memories :  the walls of the fortresses in Valletta  glowing yellow in the first rays of the rising sun,  and the hundreds of windows in Naples like polished chips of gold set in the still-dark walls of distant buildings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clo said:

There are some there I've not heard of. I'll look them up.

The Marquesas!!!, ( a group of Islands ENE of Tahiti) Qeqertarsuaq, ( a Port on the Greenland West coast), Longyearbyen, (a Port in the Svalbard Archipelago - between Norway & the North Pole)  Faroe Islands, (A group of Islands between Scotland & Iceland)  Seydisfjordur, ( a Port on the SE Coast of Iceland)  Commonwealth Bay, ( the place on Antarctica where MAWSON landed in the 1912 to explore a large part of the Area)  Pango Pango, (American Samoa) Nuku'alofa, (Tonga) Rarotonga.(Cook Islands - between New Zealand and Tahiti)

...... such Ports are NOT (yet) over-visited by Cruise Ships and NOT (yet) over-run by Tourists

3 minutes ago, awinkl said:

The Marquesas!!!, ( a group of Islands ENE of Tahiti) Qeqertarsuaq, ( a Port on the Greenland West coast), Longyearbyen, (a Port in the Svalbard Archipelago - between Norway & the North Pole)  Faroe Islands, (A group of Islands between Scotland & Iceland)  Seydisfjordur, ( a Port on the SE Coast of Iceland)  Commonwealth Bay, ( the place on Antarctica where MAWSON landed in the 1912 to explore a large part of the Area)  Pango Pango, (American Samoa) Nuku'alofa, (Tonga) Rarotonga.(Cook Islands - between New Zealand and Tahiti)

...... such Ports are NOT (yet) over-visited by Cruise Ships and NOT (yet) over-run by Tourists

You are amazingly wonderful! Thanks.

Wow 95% of these are great (mostly European cities). You don't need a cruise to go to any of these. The best place for cruises is the Caribbean because you can see more than one island in one trip. I get the Mediterranean, but since when is 1 day enough for Barcelona, Rome, or even Venice, not to mention the damage cruises do to Venice. 

Shout out to those that put the Faroe Islands, Hawaiian and South Pacific Islands, and St. Martin. 

However, in the Caribbean no doubt I would put St. George's, Grenada, Bridgetown, Barbados, any port in Jamaica, Cayman Islands. If I had gone there I'm sure I'd add Dominica, Martinique, Guadeloupe, and the British Virgin Islands. 

Edited by Rec33

1 hour ago, Rec33 said:

Wow 95% of these are great (mostly European cities). You don't need a cruise to go to any of these. The best place for cruises is the Caribbean because you can see more than one island in one trip. I get the Mediterranean, but since when is 1 day enough for Barcelona, Rome, or even Venice, not to mention the damage cruises do to Venice. 

Shout out to those that put the Faroe Islands, Hawaiian and South Pacific Islands, and St. Martin. 

However, in the Caribbean no doubt I would put St. George's, Grenada, Bridgetown, Barbados, any port in Jamaica, Cayman Islands. If I had gone there I'm sure I'd add Dominica, Martinique, Guadeloupe, and the British Virgin Islands. 

While I understand where you're coming from, the "islands" have little (actually almost no) interest for me. I'm not a beaches/natural beauty person. Give me a nice big city with lots of museums, culture, and history any day, every day.

While it's true that you cannot get the measure of many Med ports in a day, there are some of us who cruise the Med annually, more or less. Couple that with spending time pre- or post-cruise and it makes for a nice holiday -- and one that appeals to MY interests.

One other thing that I don't recall seeing anyone else mention about Med/Europe cruises is that I enjoy the fact that I am traveling, and arriving at, these ports in much the same way as visitors have always done up until the advent of the 20th century. There is something I find very thrilling about arriving at Istanbul just like the traders from Venice in the 15th century, or scouring the horizon for a sight of Carthage on the shores of Tunisia, much as the Roman fleets must once have done....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rec33 said:

Nowadays many Cruise's are in 7 day segments, and sometimes I string them together 2, 3, or more in a row - and then visit the same Islands (especially around Greece & Med) and when I arrive at an Island the second time, I already know a bit about it - and can explore a different area....Last year I did 9 Segments, together -  2 around Greek Islands, then up to Trieste, back to Athens, then across the Med to Malaga, to Casablanca, to Lisbon, Oporto, back across to Athens and finally got off in Dubai.

Regarding the Caribbean - YES, they are beautiful (St Lucia is my favorite), but too close to the American Market and usually invaded by Tourists - and NO Caribbean Island is great, with 2-3 Cruise ships in Port at the same time

On 5/3/2020 at 4:12 PM, dosperegrinos said:

Hawaiian Islands,  Tahiti,  Auckland,  Cairo,  Barcelona

I forgot about Auckland.  I like it because it is right there in the middle of town.  It was an embarkation port for us.  We stayed at a great hotel alongside a marina.  It was an easy stroll with the luggage to the cruise pier.  We also enjoyed the town.  

Gotta love Cruise Critic. People list their favorite ports and sure enough, others need to come along and either lecture them about how they’re not ports, or contrast them by saying they do not care for those ports. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Gotta love Cruise Critic. People list their favorite ports and sure enough, others need to come along and either lecture them about how they’re not ports, or contrast them by saying they do not care for those ports. 🙄

I hear ya but.... I think it's good if/when someone can give a good reason for not liking a place. We thought Dubrovnik was insanely overcrowded, to the point UNESCO had threatened to revoke their heritage status. From this site I've read that they're not limiting cruise ships.

• Like 1

Our favorite port that we cruised to was Odessa Ukraine.  We were on a Vantage Black sea cruise right after Russia annexed the Crimea. Since Yalta was then cancelled, Vantage gave us three nights in Odessa- an absolutely gorgeous city overlooking the Black Sea. Plus, the locals were thrilled to see us. Second favorite is probably St. Petersburg.

I can't really count all the other port cities that we love as we had traveled there independently  (spending much more time than the one day that cruises usually allow in any particular city).  This, of course, amps up our appreciation of the place.

• Thanks 1

Have not travelled to Japan, so would absolutely love to visit a few of their ports with a "stay over" or two, to really enjoy what the country & culture has to offer. (being a pensioner has its challenges, so cruises are an obvious "way to go" .... when safe of course)