Favorite cruise port you would like to visit again?

George C

10 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Would love to again visit:

Yokohama

Istanbul

Bora-Bora

Punta del Este

Honolulu (💖)

Ooh, I forgot Istanbul...but then I'd want all of Turkey for maybe six months.

Ooh, it would be such a tough choice for me.

While I like Florence as a choice, I don't really consider it a "port" city, otherwise I'd put it on my list too. Same with Rome -- too far away from the water to be a port. But both are favorite cities.

A great port, for me, should be one where the ship is right there in the midst of it, and one where there is a lot to see and do. A scenic sail in or out is a plus too.

I'd have to put these at the top of my list:

Istanbul

Malta

Naples

Venice

Stockholm

Barcelona

Manhattan

Trapani (Sicily)

Antalya

I would go back to Aleppo, but it would not be the same....so I won't add it. 

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Ooh, it would be such a tough choice for me.

While I like Florence as a choice, I don't really consider it a "port" city, otherwise I'd put it on my list too. Same with Rome -- too far away from the water to be a port. But both are favorite cities.

A great port, for me, should be one where the ship is right there in the midst of it, and one where there is a lot to see and do. A scenic sail in or out is a plus too.

I'd have to put these at the top of my list:

Istanbul

Malta

Naples

Venice

Stockholm

Barcelona

Manhattan

Trapani (Sicily)

Antalya

I would go back to Aleppo, but it would not be the same....so I won't add it. 

I should have added Manhattan which is my favorite for embarking, bummed out we booked several days they in a few weeks and of course had to cancel 

3 hours ago, George C said:

What ports that you have been do you really want to visit again ? Have done more than 50 Caribbean cruises so I will skip those.

Florence

Venice 

Kotor

Dubrovnik 

Venice

Naples

Barcelona

From this list- none.  Florence is not a port and the few hours possible are hardly worth the travel time to get there from Livorno. Venice and Dubrovnik are being ruined by cruise ships.  The only ports right for cruise calls are Caribbean islands for a beach day.  Istanbul and Barcelona would be great for starting/ending - to allow a few days pre/post  — as is Civita Vecchia for Rome.

• Like 1

St. Petersburg was a great port, so much to see. We would like to spend more time in the Hermitage. DW, an art teacher, wanted our group to skip lunch to spend more time there; the group compromised and added time there, but not the whole lunchtime.

Stockholm as there were way too many things to do there than we had the time to do.

I'm sure there are others if I think long and hard about it, but those are the top 2. Maybe add London, though it is not really a port. It was where we were going to spend a day before the Norwegian fjords cruise we cancelled for this summer. We were also going to see Stonehenge on an excursion back to the airport and we were really looking forward to that.

Valletta, Malta. like sailing into a post card. 

I agree about going back to Havana some day. Fascinating. I felt like Marty McFly in Back to the Future when he arrives in 1955. 😂

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think that some small ships dock on the Thames in London. Maybe Silversea?

I know they used to - but Viking sails from Greenwich (not precisely London - but served by London Underground, so as good as).  Also, just a bit further down the Thames is Tilbury for Cruises and Maritime.

38 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I know they used to - but Viking sails from Greenwich (not precisely London - but served by London Underground, so as good as).  Also, just a bit further down the Thames is Tilbury for Cruises and Maritime.

I think that Greenwich can count as London.

Gosh, this is a tough question.   IMO, the most beautiful port to sail in/out of is Venice.  We've been there 6 times, so probably wouldn't go again on a cruise.  Same for Dubrovnik.  It is wonderful but we have been 3 times and probably would not go again.  

Ports we enjoy because they are kind of right there as opposed to a long way out of town: 

Kotor 

Rhodes

Malta

Barcelona (might be getting burned out on it but still enjoy strolling the Rambla)

Hong Kong

Stockholm

Singapore

Copenhagen

Tallnn

Liverpool (just something about it I enjoy)

Budapest (have never been by boat, but would).  

Shoot. The list is getting too long.  I better stop or will eventually have just named just about every port.  

15 hours ago, clo said:

Wow. Talk to us about that please.

We flew to Ft.Lauderdale in 2010,it was the last time I was on a plane due to my disabilities.We cruised with my best friend from college and his wife and my wife’s best friend from childhood .It was a 14 day cruise to the Panama Canal and other areas .We only went through the locks one day.

We had a tour guide on a shore excursion who spoke flawless English.He was a graduate of Arizona State University who majored in Accounting.He returned to Panama and with his wife opened a tour service.Between them they were fluent in 8 languages.

I told him that I was fluent in 5 languages and we had a wonderful discussion in the various languages .

16 hours ago, clo said:

Did you have a lot of ports there? And what did you love about it please? Just in case we can go back there...next year?

No, not a lot of difference ports .... The NCL cruise I took had 1 1/2 days in Havana ... and I loved it.  I cruised by myself, got off the ship and walked to meet the driver for my PRIVATE car tour .... there were supposed to be 2 men in the car and there were 3 men in the car.  They were FANTASTIC, polite, nice, generous, funny, entertaining, SO knowledgeable.  Just the best time.  I took another private car tour to Ernest Hemingway's house the next day and I still to this day communicate with the tour guide by email.  Just the best experience. I highly recommend to NOT purchase cruise line tours for most places ... but especially Cuba.  I wanted ALL of my $$$ to go into their hands directly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got a long list of ports, or places near ports ( like Florence for the super picky) that I want to or have already returned to. But here's the thing - for me - I only want to revisit by land, not cruise.  If it is interesting enough to visit again, then it's interesting enough to stay there, if only for a few days. YMMV.

• Like 2

We were stunned by Santorini on a cruise visit, so we did go again, but this time by air, for a holiday. 

Now, the other way round... we had a holiday on Big Island, Hawaii, and would like to return on a cruise, to visit the other islands.