Workers Blame Royal Caribbean For Virus' Spread On Ships

I'll bet they do. Ships are like any other crowded, enclosed place, just like on land. The virus has cropped up in nursing homes, shelters, parties, conferences, prisons. It would almost be worse because they can't get away from it. I can't really think of an analogous situation on land, where the employees live at the facility. 

I don't know if it is the cruise line's fault exactly but they are trying to defer responsibility, especially when all they keep spouting is that "We followed all CDC guidance. " 

Maybe they did? 

Edited by Coralc

9 hours ago, edgee said:

When I read an article like this it makes me wonder if I ever want to give this company or Carnival Corp my money ever again.

Horrible way to treat people...although not sure CDC is being reasonable, either. What a mess!

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242380421.html

Don´t worry, once cruising will resume you´ll have forgotten About the crew and Ready to book your next cruise. 

All I can say About this is sadly it´s a sue happy Society These days. I just hope the cruiselines Keep an internal list and Exchange among the various lines to list such Folks and never give them a Job on a ship again. 

34 minutes ago, strathcona said:

I don't know , but I am sure this is a Miami Law office that does Pro Bono work against cruise line. You always need someone to blame. 

Zero percent chance this is being done on a pro bono basis.

The first hurdle will be to see whether they can keep the case in court instead of arbitration as RCI would prefer.

13 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

There will probably be more lawsuits to follow since there were many cases of passengers and crew contracting Covid-19.

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 8.17.06 AM.png

Anyone can sue. Proving will be next to impossible. You can get sick anywhere from anyone. Frivolous 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Anyone can sue. Proving will be next to impossible. You can get sick anywhere from anyone. Frivolous 

Sure anyone can sue for anything.  Suing the cruise lines is especially difficult since the cruise industry is not under US jurisdiction or law and enjoy a number of protections.  For example, they are not subject to health and safety regulations like the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) or the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

This being said, there have been successful awards won for legitimate cases.  

47988326_ScreenShot2020-05-01at7_50_47AM.thumb.png.bca643b20f6a63ca8b29a41759e7a4aa.png

The fact these workers are still onboard with most of them receiving no pay since march is very sad.  I see carnival lines continue to return their workers home via ships to various countries.  Heard they have a group of ships meeting in bahamas this weekend to merge workers onto various ships that will head to different countries.   Seems like royal continues to hold out hope for cruising to start soon and still has most of their ships with full staff.   Is this true?

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The fact these workers are still onboard with most of them receiving no pay since march is very sad.  I see carnival lines continue to return their workers home via ships to various countries.  Heard they have a group of ships meeting in bahamas this weekend to merge workers onto various ships that will head to different countries.   Seems like royal continues to hold out hope for cruising to start soon and still has most of their ships with full staff.   Is this true?

This article was written by Jim Walker, a Miami maritime attorney on the subject.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/04/articles/disease/100000-crew-members-stranded-on-cruise-ships-as-cruise-lines-refuse-to-agree-to-pay-for-repatriation-expenses/

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

He is not very well liked on here, although he does have a lot of info.  He's seen as the ambulance chaser on the high seas.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BND said:

He is not very well liked on here, although he does have a lot of info.  He's seen as the ambulance chaser on the high seas.

Jim Walker is a hero. We want to talk villain, look no further than Richard Fain. Doesn't seem like he set a good stage for lawsuit defenses:
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/royal-caribbean-crew-member-party-coronavirus-cruises

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I saw a interview with some american citizens stuck in India. It turns out sure the state dept here as advertised will help get them home. The reality is the folks stuck have to sign a open ended loan for a unknown amount to get on the plane ... cost to be determined later. They said they couldnt afford a large loan. I felt bad for them too.

The fact is country borders closed rather suddenly and getting home for lots cost more than the people like these crew want to pay themselves.

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Here's another suit filed against Royal regarding refunds this time:

Nurses Sue For Refund After Virus Halts Convention At Sea

https://www.law360.com/articles/1262500/nurses-sue-for-refund-after-virus-halts-convention-at-sea

The problem with this suit is that the nurses group cancelled it, not Royal.  They did it before the official cancellations started.  I remember seeing this in the news.   Also, the organization had a charter agreement with Royal.  The nurses don't really have a case against the cruise line.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BND said:

The problem with this suit is that the nurses group cancelled it, not Royal.  They did it before the official cancellations started.  I remember seeing this in the news.   Also, the organization had a charter agreement with Royal.  The nurses don't really have a case against the cruise line.  

They are suing both NurseCon and RCCI.  They probably have a better case against NurseCon than the cruise line. 

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

They are suing both NurseCon and RCCI.  They probably have a better case against NurseCon than the cruise line. 

In the eyes of the nurses going on the cruise, they don't care who the problem lies with. They just , rightfully so, want their money back.

Who has the deeper pockets? A multi billion dollar corporation (RCCL)? or a small TA? That's how the lawyers are going to look at it.

In a car accident,, do they (the lawyers) go after the individual with $10K of coverage? or the individual driving a company car or truck with $1M of coverage?

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

In the eyes of the nurses going on the cruise, they don't care who the problem lies with. They just , rightfully so, want their money back.

Who has the deeper pockets? A multi billion dollar corporation (RCCL)? or a small TA? That's how the lawyers are going to look at it.

In a car accident,, do they (the lawyers) go after the individual with $10K of coverage? or the individual driving a company car or truck with $1M of coverage?

True, in accidents everyone and their brother gets sued.  It's an uphill battle suing a cruise line though as the cruise industry is not under US jurisdiction or law and enjoy a number of protections.  You sign your life away when you buy a ticket.  This being said, it's not impossible and some attorneys have been successful in obtaining large awards. 

• Like 1

It’s short sighted and takes a simple mind to hop the “I hate lawyers” bandwagon.  Sure, there are unethical lawyers. All industries have unethical players when big dollars are involved.  Nearly all lawyers are doing solid legal work for their clients and represent us “regular people” and their corporate clients with the best of intention.

Paula

• Like 1

Anyone can sue anyone in the United States. I'm not a lawyer. I guess we could argue what we "think" the merits of the case are, but we certainly aren't going to determine any outcome. 

The crew members or passengers have a right to sue, so let them They are probably contingency cases, so they aren't out money. The cruise line can explain or defend it's actions. I think it would be an interesting case, and it won't be the first one.

Nursing homes are looking for some sort of legislative protection from lawsuits. I don't have a horse in either race. So we will see how things develop.