SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

On 12/5/2022 at 10:53 AM, RetiredandTravel said:

Definitely not for us either.  Our next vacation the resort has 30 rooms and I'm not sure I've ever been on a water slide.  Some people love the big ships, God bless them, hope they have fun.

I totally agree on the logistics, what must be involved in  just feeding 7600 people.  It would be interesting to see how the whole thing works.  Found this youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2vXbFp5C9o

Wow, it’s a floating, powered island amusement park!     Not for me 😊 

• Like 1

Our last three cruises have been to Antarctica on the Cloud, a QM2 transatlantic, and last weekend on RCI's Freedom of the Seas (we live in the Miami area and those quickie trips are easy and convenient for us). Other than being in a stateroom on a ship at sea, these voyages could not have been more different in every conceivable way, but all of them were quite enjoyable with distinct reasons to recommend and repeat them.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, taxatty said:

Our last three cruises have been to Antarctica on the Cloud, a QM2 transatlantic, and last weekend on RCI's Freedom of the Seas (we live in the Miami area and those quickie trips are easy and convenient for us). Other than being in a stateroom on a ship at sea, these voyages could not have been more different in every conceivable way, but all of them were quite enjoyable with distinct reasons to recommend and repeat them.

Thanks.  Did you do a review or trip report from your QM2 transatlantic?  We've considered taking that home from Europe instead of flying sometime.

• Like 1

From the major News website in Australia yesterday, they had this headline: Covid cruise ship to drops infected in Sydney" with this sub-headline: "More than 100 of the 2850 passengers on board a cruise ship docking in Sydney have been infected with Covid-19.

Here are some of their reporting highlights:The New South Wales government has classified the ship as a ‘Tier 2’- meaning 'there are quite a few cases on board (30-99 positive cases per 1,000 people) and/or the vessel’s staffing or resources are impacted. However, it can safely maintain critical services.'  But in a statement, Celebrity Eclipse says there are only about 4 per cent of people on board with Covid - meaning there would be more than 100 people infected on the ship that holds a maximum of 2850 people.”

Here is more from Australia: "The arrivals come amid a fourth wave expected to peak before Christmas.  Over 100,000 cases were recorded nationwide last week as a mix Covid and non-Covid viruses strain the nation’s hospital system."

Sure glad we were able to visit and super enjoy five different areas of this amazing country (plus New Zealand as detailed below) in 2014.  Not sure I would now want to have immediate future plans there with such uncertainties and questions.  That's a long, long way from home to be navigating if any such challenges happen on a ship and/or in doing land tours in Australia.

Full story at:

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/covid-cruise-ship-to-drop-1500-infected-in-sydney/news-story/9aa17bff9f3750807e46bc00e3a752b5

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 239,754 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

55 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Sure glad we were able to visit and super enjoy five different areas of this amazing country (plus New Zealand as detailed below) in 2014.  Not sure I would now want to have immediate future plans there with such uncertainties and questions.  That's a long, long way from home to be navigating if any such challenges happen on a ship and/or in doing land tours in Australia.

Terry--we just returned from a land tour (not a cruise) of New Zealand's North and South Islands--we first visited in 2016. The only evidence of COVID that we saw there were complimentary RAT boxes for the taking in the Customs area if you wanted to test yourself at some point during your stay--totally discretionary. It was much less crowded there than on our last visit as the many busloads of Chinese tourists that were then haven't returned due their own COVID issues. If you're intrepid enough to drive on winding, hilly roads on the left side (or flying from place to place) instead of having a ship do the work, it's a great time to go.

On 12/10/2022 at 11:00 AM, taxatty said:

Terry--we just returned from a land tour (not a cruise) of New Zealand's North and South Islands--we first visited in 2016. The only evidence of COVID that we saw there were complimentary RAT boxes for the taking in the Customs area if you wanted to test yourself at some point during your stay--totally discretionary. It was much less crowded there than on our last visit as the many busloads of Chinese tourists that were then haven't returned due their own COVID issues. If you're intrepid enough to drive on winding, hilly roads on the left side (or flying from place to place) instead of having a ship do the work, it's a great time to go.

Good to know, thanks!  Might have to squeeze in a trip back there.

On 12/10/2022 at 1:00 PM, taxatty said:

Terry--we just returned from a land tour (not a cruise) of New Zealand's North and South Islands--we first visited in 2016. The only evidence of COVID that we saw there were complimentary RAT boxes for the taking in the Customs area if you wanted to test yourself at some point during your stay--totally discretionary. 

Appreciate this follow-up from our Miami friend about recent New Zealand experiences.  We super enjoyed NZ from our 2014 exploring, plus going back in Feb. 2020, right before the Covid shut-down, for a week covering in greater depth their North Island.  Love New Zealand!!  

From MSN News and the Manila Times earlier this week, they had this headline: Cruise demand for crew is high but supply is low with these highlights: “The Philippines has more than enough pool of qualified crew for international cruise ships, but only a few are willing to return to sea, said Katherine Avelino, executive director of Business Development, Shipping, and senior vice president for Cruise Operations at Philippine Transmarine Carriers Inc.  The apparent crew shortage for the cruise ship industry began in 2020, at the height of the Covid-19 pandemic when tens of thousands of seafarers were sent back home as the cruise industry temporarily closed worldwide.  'Only a few now want to go back to sea. They were traumatized by the pandemic,' Avelino said in a recent forum.  About 325,000 Filipinos working onboard cruise ships were sidelined by the pandemic.  As the pandemic soared for over two years, the repatriated crew have reassessed their career paths and priorities.

We have always enjoyed working with and meeting the staff members from the Philippines.  But, I can understand why some staff from that nation and other parts of Asia, etc., might have reevaluated their career choices and working situations.  Being away from home and family is challenging and these cruise ship staff work very hard and long hours during cruises.   

This thread is now over 200,000 views.  Appreciate those who have dropped by, made posts and shared questions/experiences.    We had hope that "ALL" of this situation would be done and totally over long ago.  BUT, the questions, uncertainty and concerns still are existing in some ways.  This includes for the upcoming economic trends (recession?), lagging consumer confidence, cruise lines paying off their mega billions of dollars in borrowing, etc.  Keep it coming!!

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/travel/news/cruise-demand-for-crew-is-high-but-supply-is-low/ar-AA15eloh

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 32,886 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Good news!!  From the Washington Post this morning, they had this updated story and headline of: Asia is reopening to travelers" with this sub-headline: "Japan, Hong Kong and China are the latest destinations to ease restrictions for tourists.

Here are some of their reporting highlights: “While many of Americans’ favorite international tourism destinations across Europe and the Caribbean reopened in fits and starts, Asia largely trailed behind, remaining largely closed to leisure travelers until 2022.  Popular spots like Japan and Indonesia have reopened and smoothed out complicated entry requirements. Countries including Thailand and Singapore have exceeded their targets for international arrivals in 2022 and are now setting even higher goals for the new year.”

Of most interest to many, including us, is about China's long-delayed re-opening.  This reporting update noted: "As of Jan. 8, the country has dropped its severe mandatory quarantine on arrival and only requires travelers to show a negative PCR test taken within 48 hours before departure.  But this phase of reopening is not intended for foreign tourism, but rather to allow Chinese nationals (and foreign nationals with valid residence permits and visas) the freedom to travel abroad again."

This should be helpful for many cruise lines, including Silversea. Anyone have upcoming plans for these areas of Asia?

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/tips/asia-travel-restrictions-americans-thailand-bali/

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 31,720 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Good news!!  From the Washington Post this morning, they had this updated story and headline of: Asia is reopening to travelers" with this sub-headline: "Japan, Hong Kong and China are the latest destinations to ease restrictions for tourists.

Here are some of their reporting highlights: “While many of Americans’ favorite international tourism destinations across Europe and the Caribbean reopened in fits and starts, Asia largely trailed behind, remaining largely closed to leisure travelers until 2022.  Popular spots like Japan and Indonesia have reopened and smoothed out complicated entry requirements. Countries including Thailand and Singapore have exceeded their targets for international arrivals in 2022 and are now setting even higher goals for the new year.”

Of most interest to many, including us, is about China's long-delayed re-opening.  This reporting update noted: "As of Jan. 8, the country has dropped its severe mandatory quarantine on arrival and only requires travelers to show a negative PCR test taken within 48 hours before departure.  But this phase of reopening is not intended for foreign tourism, but rather to allow Chinese nationals (and foreign nationals with valid residence permits and visas) the freedom to travel abroad again."

This should be helpful for many cruise lines, including Silversea. Anyone have upcoming plans for these areas of Asia?

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/tips/asia-travel-restrictions-americans-thailand-bali/

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 31,720 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Good news, but I think I would stay out of China for a while.   Their no-Covid policy is backfiring on them now that they have loosened the policy. The explosion of Covid sickness and sadly deaths is just beginning for them.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

We are traveling on Whisper from Sydney to Tokyo from 23 February to 9 April and stops include Indonesia, Viet Nam, Singapore, South Korea, and Hong Kong. Keeping close eye on cases in those countries. On another note, have recently read poor reviews on Crusie Critic of Whisper. Any positive comments?

9 hours ago, kittycrews said:

We are traveling on Whisper from Sydney to Tokyo from 23 February to 9 April and stops include Indonesia, Viet Nam, Singapore, South Korea, and Hong Kong. Keeping close eye on cases in those countries. On another note, have recently read poor reviews on Crusie Critic of Whisper. Any positive comments?

I did not write a review but I sailed her in October and enjoyed it as usual😀 I know we are all different and have different wants/needs, etc but I always end up having a good time😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I did not write a review but I sailed her in October and enjoyed it as usual😀 I know we are all different and have different wants/needs, etc but I always end up having a good time😀

I would agree with Lois. We were on the same cruise and enjoyed the ship.  We thought it was in very good condition, and staff was, as always, very friendly 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well. its 3 days from departure, from Lima to Rio on the Moon.  Aside from a couple of potential civl wars, I have started packing and am ready to go.  Except for one thing, which is the source of this question and a complicated one at that.  My wife and I tested posted, by PCR 12  on January 6th and January 9th respectively.  We each have conducted at home BiNex tests 3 times and all have been negative including yesterday .    We have been entirely symptom free from the get go.   We are both within the recent CDC isolation/Quarantine guidelines (2/29/03}.  And we are fully vaxed and boosted.  

Now for the tricky part.  Do your want us on your ship.  Our SS CC is suppose to get back to us today with a go or no go decision.  He had to bump this up the ladder became he didn't have a quick answer.  We have insurance, and having recently had Covid -19 we are sure we would be covered.  So $$ is not a big deal .There have been quite a few posts from  people currently on the Moon.  So in addition to whether you want us on board I am concerned about what kind of reception we will get, the atmosphere on board and whether we will be required to mask or not.  I would never in a million years put someone at risk and I am sure we will test negative for. the immediate future.   

Of course our CC may take this out of our hands.  So here I wonder if anyone, on any ships, have embarked with such narrow margins with the consent of SS, that is the tricky part.     

Lastly, I may have not been paying full attention but Terry seems to have been absent and now is back.  I hope all is well and you have provided a greatly appreciated service to SS clients.  

3 hours ago, chrism23 said:

Well. its 3 days from departure, from Lima to Rio on the Moon.  Aside from a couple of potential civl wars, I have started packing and am ready to go.  Except for one thing, which is the source of this question and a complicated one at that.  My wife and I tested posted, by PCR 12  on January 6th and January 9th respectively.  We each have conducted at home BiNex tests 3 times and all have been negative including yesterday .    We have been entirely symptom free from the get go.   We are both within the recent CDC isolation/Quarantine guidelines (2/29/03}.  And we are fully vaxed and boosted.  

Lastly, I may have not been paying full attention but Terry seems to have been absent and now is back.  I hope all is well and you have provided a greatly appreciated service to SS clients. 

Good luck to our New England neighbor with your upcoming Lima to Rio adventure on the Moon.  Sounds exciting and interesting, especially on the Silver Moon.  Great, challenging questions given your recent Covid situation.  Yes, it is not easy know the best "rules" to follow as everything is always changing and evolving.  Keep us posted as to how it all plays with Silversea, etc.  

In those countries of South America, there are some uncertainty with conditions there.  Hope it all works out.  Hope you share more as you travel as to what you see, do and enjoy.  

Yes, was busy last week with some work-related items.  Was back and busy posting a number of items over this past weekend.  Still trying to figure out our travel options for later this winter and into the Spring and Summer.  

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,541 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

19 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

I would agree with Lois. We were on the same cruise and enjoyed the ship.  We thought it was in very good condition, and staff was, as always, very friendly 

Hope you are both doing well😀

• Like 1

@chrism23 One thing I didn't see you mention is a letter from a doctor stating you have recently recovered from Covid. I think that's an important document to obtain before you leave. your home tests are good for your peace of mind, but they aren't sufficient to convince an authority figures, should any questions arrive. You will undoubtedly be asked somewhere along the way if you have had, or been exposed to, Covid within the past 14 days; when you answer yes, you really want to have a printed letter from a doctor who has tested you stating you are recovered. With that in hand, I think you should be good to go. If the tests say you no longer have Covid, you should be no threat to your fellow passengers at all. 

Let us know what happens, but I hope you're cleared and able to proceed with your ship. Best of luck!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruiseej said:

@chrism23 One thing I didn't see you mention is a letter from a doctor stating you have recently recovered from Covid.

@cruiseej  Thank you and everyone else who responded. It really has been helpful.  We do have a letter from our doctor saying we have recently recovered from Covid.  We now have had 3 binx tests all negative and the one PCR test which was positive.  Along the way I discovered something that might be helpful to people.  If you test positive with a RT PCR test in all probability you are going to continue to test positive with additional PCR tests for weeks or even months.  The initial PCR tests remain the gold standard but after that the rapid antigen tests yields more accurate results.  That said I have one quick story.  I was largely symptom free, thank god, except for a little brain fog.  I remember being in our bedroom, telling my wife I am fine, no symptoms.  I turned to walk out of the room, the door was closed, I went straight into it and got knocked on my ass.  I looked up to see my wife with a smirk on her face, saying "No symptoms Huh?  Its time to get back to sea.  Safe journeys to all.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Cruiseej.  Packing and probably out the door as you read this. This was just touch and go.  I need to pass on a piece of advice, which is graphic is nature and I apologize in advance.  When traveling with SS or any else for that matter you are probably going to be give a medical  questionnaire that asks if you have had certain conditions in the recent past.  There are the expected ones like fever or cough. But then there are a couple that caught me, in this case nausea and diarrhea.  About three weeks ago I had a bad case of exploding hemorrhoids.  It was not pretty  My wife who answered the form checked yes as to both of the symptoms.  No, no, no.  I will not lie, you can get denied embarkation for falsehoods.  But..I really didn't have either condition.  The diarrhea was due to the exploding hemorrhoids and the nausea was due to the meds my MD gave me to prevent infection (Cipro).  SS evidently has a individual who just deals with  Covid issues.  I did not get this resolved to 6:00 PM last night.  Much too close.  

So, the moral of this story is to be very careful in filling out routine forms and other requests for information and make sure your replies are accurate and truthful.  

Now my only problem is to figure out what to wear to the Carnival parade in Rio.

Thanks again.

chris