SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

I stayed at that Marriott last Oct. Great location and an OK Marriott. The day after we left, right in Times Square at 1:30 in the afternoon (where we had been walking the days before), a tourist was killed in a random attack. Be aware and be careful as crime is now rampant in Manhattan.

6 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Tauck has partnered with Ponant in other parts of the world.  You have the advantage of the excellent excursion capabilities of Tauck.  The only problem I see with this New England itinerary is having to stay at a Marriott when there are so many truly great hotels in NYC.

Appreciate this helpful comment and follow-up from Gourmet Gal.  Yes, am looking forward to sampling how Tauck does its excursions and the expertise of their experienced guides.  

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had this headline: Why Is Airline Travel So Miserable? Blame Florida" with this sub-headline: "The state’s obstacle course jams up airspace over some of the U.S.’s most popular vacation spots, and the problems cascade across the country.

Here are a few of their reporting highlights:Airlines flying in and out Florida one recent weekend had a lot to navigate.  Over the Gulf of Mexico, military exercises restricted airspace, east and west. A thunderstorm encroached. Short staffing at an air-traffic-control center near Jacksonville limited north-south traffic.  And a space rocket prepared to launch over the Atlantic, temporarily cutting off routes to the east.  Such is the Florida obstacle course, jamming up airspace over some of the most popular vacation spots in the U.S.

WOW!!  Lots of cruises, even in the summer, need flights into and out of Florida.  We were luck in early May to go smooth down and back to Orlando for our Disney World-Universal Studios adventures with our grandsons, etc., to celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary.  

One key summary point made in this article was: "The trouble in Florida is a dramatic example of the aviation system’s fragility, compounded by severe weather and staffing shortages."

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/airlines-travel-delays-cancellations-florida-11660572010?mod=hp_lead_pos5

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 255,159 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Would I want a guided tour of Manhatten?  Yes, I think I would like that because it's been a long time since I have visited New York.  I have stayed at the New York Marriott Marquis.  As Gourmet Gal posted, there are other hotels Tauck could have chosen.  But, the price for that overnight stay might considerably increase.  There is nothing wrong with the Marriott Marquis in my opinion.  (Try to get a corner room that overlooks Times Square and the neighboring side street.)  

If you want a great NYC guide, google "Jim Dykes NYC" he's an incredible wealth of knowledge.  Many of the high end NYC Hotel concierges recommend him.   

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I stayed at that Marriott last Oct. Great location and an OK Marriott. The day after we left, right in Times Square at 1:30 in the afternoon (where we had been walking the days before), a tourist was killed in a random attack. Be aware and be careful as crime is now rampant in Manhattan.

Honestly that's why I wouldn't stay at the Marriot, its location is right on Broadway which isn't the greatest area and full of people who prey on tourists.  There are many hotels on the East side (40 - 80) I would prefer as my home base.  When I first moved to NYC (many years ago) I took the Circle Line which was a nice view of NYC, I think it starts downtown but again this was a long time ago.  NYC is hard to navigate on your own so I would think a professional tour guide would be very helpful.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Honestly that's why I wouldn't stay at the Marriot, its location is right on Broadway which isn't the greatest area and full of people who prey on tourists.  There are many hotels on the East side (40 - 80) I would prefer as my home base.  When I first moved to NYC (many years ago) I took the Circle Line which was a nice view of NYC, I think it starts downtown but again this was a long time ago.  NYC is hard to navigate on your own so I would think a professional tour guide would be very helpful.

This was a business trip for us and the convention was at the Times Square Marriott. Except for that, I would never stay there. 

4 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Funny, I think of NYC as one of the easiest cities in the world to navigate!  But agree, Times Square is the last place I would want to spend time other than to go to a theatre.

Appreciate these good follow-ups about New York City and the many options to tour there, where to stay, etc.  We have done New York City a couple dozen times or so.  Lots of fun and exciting memories, including for being in the audience for Saturday Night Live twice, plus doing many other TV shows, loving their cultural/museum super-stars, enjoying the various Broadway shows, shopping, dining, experiencing the architecture and energy of this city and its people, etc.  But, not sure right now how safe and good are things there.  That, however, is another discussion at a different location than here on Cruise Critic.   

From Bloomberg and MSN News today, they had this headline: Carnival Cruise Bookings Nearly Double After Covid Curbs Eased with these highlights:Carnival Cruise Line said bookings on Monday were 'nearly double' the level for the same day in 2019 after management eliminated pre-cruise testing requirements.  'Our guests are booking the remaining 2022 inventory, and getting a head start planning for 2023,' Carnival President Christine Duffy said in a statement. 'Mid-August is typically not a busy month for cruise bookings, but it’s clear that pent-up demand for Carnival has not been satisfied and guests are responding very favorably to our updated protocols.' 

Are things booming and the recovery happening right now?

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/carnival-cruise-bookings-nearly-double-after-covid-curbs-eased/ar-AA10JqTU

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 244,769 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

That’s impressive…SNL twice!  

Yes, those two SNL programs in NYC were very fun and highly interesting.  

First was with Joan Rivers as the guest host.  Remember Eddie Murphy as a cast members moving around, etc.  

Second was May 23, 1987, with guest host Dennis Hopper and musical guest Roy Orbison.  Amazing evening, especially when the Church Lady (Dana Carvey) welcomed Dennis Hopper to talk about his sinful past, the naughtiest thing he's ever done and his new film Blue Velvet.  

After saying "Isn't that special", the Church Lady asked about the causes of his problems.  As I recall, Dana Carvey probed by asking "Was it drugs?"  Great question to Dennis Hopper?    

See SNL video highlight on YouTube at

Yes, hearing Roy Orbison in person was an amazing memory.  The audience adored him and he responded to their warmth with their  loving so much his great songs.  This included “Crying” and “Oh, Pretty Woman”.

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 46,489 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Like 3

Been seeing lots of TV commercials on MSNBC, CNN, Fox News, etc., lately by Silversea featuring their photographer writing a note and urging people to travel.  Clearly Silversea and others are ramping up, UP their advertising budgets to attract more future business.  Plus, our mailbox continues to get lots and lots of cruise brochures from a wide range of companies.  And, the many different emails, too!!!!  Day after day!! Needed or not?  Right?  

From the New York Times Travel Section for this weekend, they had this interesting headline: Help! I’m 93, My Postponed Cruise Has Been Postponed Again, and I’d Like My Money Back"  with this sub-headline: "A cruise company keeps pushing back its planned journeys, offering credits instead of a refund, and a passenger feels like the ship has sailed on her ability to enjoy a boat trip.

Here are a couple of story highlights: “My travel companion and I booked a river cruise and tour to Portugal and Spain for this past July with Vantage Deluxe World Travel. We paid in full, and bought insurance against trip interruption or cancellation through Vantage from TripMate.”

This is not about Silversea or Royal Caribbean.  But, there are many "twists and turns" that illustrate the "complications" in the fine print as to how the rules might be applied.   These legal details apply with both the tour company and how insurance might be applied, work, etc.  Vantage is Boston-based  that received Federal PPP funds during the Covid bail-out.  There are complications as to where to file a complaint with your state's Attorney General office, etc.  Even the NY Times with its major name and clout could not unclog it all.  This Times writer also reached out to senior cruise writer for The Points Guy to gain additional perspectives for this complicated case and situation.  Makes a clear point to research, prepare and plan accordingly!!  Do not just assume and hope.  

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/19/travel/cruise-credit-refund.html

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 32,492 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2022 at 2:15 PM, TLCOhio said:

Yes, those two SNL programs in NYC were very fun and highly interesting.  

First was with Joan Rivers as the guest host.  Remember Eddie Murphy as a cast members moving around, etc.  

Second was May 23, 1987, with guest host Dennis Hopper and musical guest Roy Orbison.  Amazing evening, especially when the Church Lady (Dana Carvey) welcomed Dennis Hopper to talk about his sinful past, the naughtiest thing he's ever done and his new film Blue Velvet.  

After saying "Isn't that special", the Church Lady asked about the causes of his problems.  As I recall, Dana Carvey probed by asking "Was it drugs?"  Great question to Dennis Hopper?    

See SNL video highlight on YouTube at

Yes, hearing Roy Orbison in person was an amazing memory.  The audience adored him and he responded to their warmth with their  loving so much his great songs.  This included “Crying” and “Oh, Pretty Woman”.

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 46,489 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

How fun.  I was a co-chair of a charity event a few years ago and our theme was “Live, It’s Saturday Night!” and for our auction we put together a NYC trip including tickets to SNL.  It was by far the top grossing item and the trip was thoroughly enjoyed by the lucky patrons.

3 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

How fun.  I was a co-chair of a charity event a few years ago and our theme was “Live, It’s Saturday Night!” and for our auction we put together a NYC trip including tickets to SNL.  It was by far the top grossing item and the trip was thoroughly enjoyed by the lucky patrons.

Appreciate this follow-up and glad to hear your charity event with a Saturday Night Live worked well.  During the past few years, in my opinion, however, the quality of humor on SNL has slid downhill.  We have super loved key recent cast members such as Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson and Cecily Strong.  But, certain stars such as Kate are leaving and the overall writing, skits, guests hosts, etc., are not always as fun and entertaining.  Challenging??!!  Or, am I just getting too old and not as "hip" to be getting "it" these days?  Love such SNL hits from the "good old days" such as Eddie Murphy doing Mr. Robinson's Neighbor, NPR's Delicious Dish (Schweddy Balls) parody, Wayne's World take-off, the Celebrity Jeopardy episodes, etc.

From the Wall Street Journal this past week, they had this headline: You Paid for Extra Legroom. Do You Get Anything Else?" with this sub-headline: "Economy Plus, Comfort+, Main Cabin Extra and other premium coach seating sections sound the same—but not all of them offer extra benefits.

Here were a few of their story highlights:Many of us wonder whether we should splurge on one of those cushier economy seats near the front of the plane. The extra legroom will be the envy of passengers heading back to their ordinary coach seats.  But what does the seat fee buy beyond that seat?  The answer varies widely by airline. On some you get free alcoholic beverages, dedicated overhead bin space and boarding ahead of other economy passengers. On others, you get nothing beyond that breathing room for your knees.

When going on that cruise, especially for those more "international", those long air flights can be difficult.  But, how much do you pay and what do you get?

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/extra-legroom-flight-other-perks-11660664574?mod=wsjhp_columnists_pos3

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Or, am I just getting too old and not as "hip" to be getting "it" these days?  Love such SNL hits from the "good old days

The definition of "comedy" has been changing for several years.  On a cruise, what many of my fellow guests find hilarious, I am heading for the exit of the theater more often than not.  

7 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

"A cruise company keeps pushing back its planned journeys, offering credits instead of a refund, and a passenger feels like the ship has sailed on her ability to enjoy a boat trip.

I have 93 year old friend that has experienced this.  She chose to take credits; has been able to transfer some of those to her children; but, she has lost money because she can no longer cruise.  

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The definition of "comedy" has been changing for several years.  On a cruise, what many of my fellow guests find hilarious, I am heading for the exit of the theater more often than not.  

I have 93 year old friend that has experienced this.  She chose to take credits; has been able to transfer some of those to her children; but, she has lost money because she can no longer cruise.  

Appreciate these follow-ups from our SE Ohio neighbor.  Yes, the definition of "comedy" has been changing and evolving.  Maybe for good?  Maybe not as much??.  

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had this headline: Variant-Targeted Covid-19 Boosters Test the Promise of mRNA Technology" with this sub-headline: "Moderna, Pfizer are racing to make different boosters for U.S. than the Omicron-specific shots rolling out for other countries.

Here are a few of their reporting highlights:The U.K. last week became the first country to clear a modified Covid-19 vaccine targeting the Omicron variant, and other countries including Canada and Australia might soon follow.  But in the U.S., modified Covid-19 booster shots are unlikely to be cleared for several more weeks because health authorities decided in late June they wanted modified vaccines to target different Omicron subvariants than those rolling out in other countries.   As a result, the makers of the leading Covid-19 vaccines—Moderna Inc. and Pfizer Inc. with its partner BioNTech SE—got a later start producing the new shots that are planned for the U.S.

Also detailed in this story, they shared  the various production challenges in seeking  to manufacture tens of millions of of this new vaccine.  The White House Covid coordination indicated that they are aiming for a modified vaccines to be available by mid-September.  It's coming and getting closer!!  Good news?  But, the cruise lines will need to figure out when and if this fifth shot will become required and administered for passengers and staff.  Right?  

Also outlined in this report is how  this mRNA vaccine technology is designed for quick changes and large-scale manufacturing of doses in response to the emergence of new virus strains.  Sounds good??!!  Soon, we will see how it all works and plays out.  

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/variant-targeted-covid-19-boosters-test-the-promise-of-mrna-technology-11661030696?mod=hp_lead_pos4

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 31,477 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• Thanks 1

Helps Mrs K is in the government health care management business so she has a pretty constant stream of information.  Indeed right now they are hoping to have at least two variant specific booster ready by mid September but they are not sure when the CDC will approve them for use.  For us on a personal basis we will reach four months after our second Pfizer booster in late November.  Assuming the third booster is available we should have enough time in December to get them prior to our mid January cruise on the Dawn in mid January.   Notionally the booster take two weeks to reach maximum effectiveness in your body so boosters not later than around Christmas would work for us.   

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these follow-ups from our SE Ohio neighbor.  Yes, the definition of "comedy" has been changing and evolving.  Maybe for good?  Maybe not as much??.  

"our SE Ohio neighbor"?  🤣  Dayton moved and no one informed us who live in the area?  🤣  That's not surprising.  Some of those of us who live in this area are still trying to determine in which Ohio House and Senate District we live.  Questions about our U. S. House Districts remain a puzzlement for some. 

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

The U.K. last week became the first country to clear a modified Covid-19 vaccine targeting the Omicron variant, and other countries including Canada and Australia might soon follow

Tonight's news had concerns about a flu season that may be more of a problem than the flu has been in recent years.  Health authorities are reportedly watching what is happening in Australia.  

My God, it just seems like it's one virus after another.  

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

"our SE Ohio neighbor"?  🤣  Dayton moved and no one informed us who live in the area?  🤣  That's not surprising.  Some of those of us who live in this area are still trying to determine in which Ohio House and Senate District we live.  Questions about our U. S. House Districts remain a puzzlement for some. 

Tonight's news had concerns about a flu season that may be more of a problem than the flu has been in recent years.  Health authorities are reportedly watching what is happening in Australia.  My God, it just seems like it's one virus after another.  

Sorry about my "fat fingers" typo goof in saying "SE Ohio".  Of course, Dayton has not moved and is still in SW Ohio.  Know Montgomery well and it has not been moved.  Yes, re-districting has been happening and makes things a little more complicated.  Where you live, all of Montgomery and Greene Counties are in the new 10th district with your current Congressman, plus a little of nearby Clark County, including Springfield.  Fairly simple and easy to understand for your part of Ohio on this map.  

From Forbes Magazine this morning, they had this headline: 61% of Summer Travelers Had Flight Delayed or Canceled, 83% Lost Money with these highlights:This summer was poised to be a season of “revenge travel.” But spiking demand, understaffed airlines and severe storms flipped the script on many folks who were determined to travel like it was 2019.  A recent Forbes Advisor survey of 2,000 travelers revealed that 61% of respondents experienced flight delays or cancellations this summer. And 83% lost money as a result of travel issues, adding another painful layer to what many hoped would be a “normal” summer travel season.

Clearly to do a cruise these days, getting there via air flights is not as easy and simple as back in the
"Good Old Days" prior to Covid hitting us in March, 2020.  

Full story at:

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/travel-insurance/summer-travel-problems/

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,165 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

23 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

But, the cruise lines will need to figure out when and if this fifth shot will become required and administered for passengers and staff.  Right?

Cruise lines have been removing, not adding, conditions for travel. I think it's unlikely at this point that any would require a fifth booster. Perhaps some will have different rules for things like pre-cruise testing for those who are unvaccinated versus those who are vaccinated or vaccinated + boosted, although the logic of such a distinction escapes me.  

Where you live, all of Montgomery and Greene Counties are in the new 10th district with your current Congressman, plus a little of nearby Clark County, including Springfield.  Fairly simple and easy to understand for your part of Ohio on this map.  

The 10th District is clear.  The Ohio House Districts and a Ohio Senate District are a gerrymandered mess.  One Senate District in northern Montgomery County will have two State Senators representing them.  One will be a newly elected one (who is an incumbent) and their current State Senator who is not up for re-election.  Those who were responsible for their failure to do their required duty, and continue to do so, by our Constitution will be remembered by me.  

Clearly to do a cruise these days, getting there via air flights is not as easy and simple as back in the
"Good Old Days" prior to Covid hitting us in March, 2020.  

Friends recently returned from their trip to Finland and Norway on Finnair.  They had no airline/airport issues.  They flew on Finnair.  The only differences that they experienced from past Business Class flights (mostly Delta One) was the meal service.  

On 8/23/2022 at 7:11 AM, WesW said:

RCL International announces new protocols.  Imagine Silversea will publish new protocols soon too.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/28093-royal-caribbean-international-welcomes-all-guests-with-new-protocols.html

SS has now published their requirements that appear to be even more lenient.  No testing required at all for the up-to-date vax, fully vaccinated.  Even on the 10-day or longer cruises.  Unvaccinated require an antigen or PCR no more than 48 hours in advance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 10:51 AM, Gourmet Gal said:

SS has now published their requirements that appear to be even more lenient.  No testing required at all for the up-to-date vax, fully vaccinated.  Even on the 10-day or longer cruises.  Unvaccinated require an antigen or PCR no more than 48 hours in advance.

Appreciate these additional comments and follow-ups about the changing nature for the various rules and regulations.  It's changing and evolving!!  Hopefully for the better? 

Sorry for being absent for the past week or so.  Just back home earlier this week after our eleven-day adventure in the Canada Maritime Provinces.  Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island, etc.  Great weather, nice people, wonderful history and sights, excellent seafood, etc., etc.  Will share more later.  Good questions to consider for doing such a Tauck/bus tour . . . versus . . . covering these areas via a cruise ship such as with Silversea.  After air flights through the sprawling and confusing Toronto airport, plus 1600 miles on a bus with 24 people on board, we seem to have avoid any Covid entanglements.  Hopefully!!??

From the New York Times Travel Section this weekend, they had this headline: Traveling This Fall? Expect Cheaper Prices, ‘Seasonal Drift’ and, Yes, Chaos with this sub-headline: "After a haywire summer of flight cancellations and delays, travelers remain eager to roam, returning to familiar hot spots like New York, Europe and the Caribbean."

Here are a few of their reporting highlights: Flying has been maddeningly unpredictable. Airline and hotel prices remain high. And inflation has forced many people to cut back. Delayed vacations, conventions and weddings have led to booked resorts and hotels.  Still, more than 60 percent of Americans said they plan to travel this fall, compared with 54 percent of respondents last year, according to TripAdvisor.

About cruising?  Here is what was mentioned in this NYT story: "Cruise deals are still plentiful, but hotel prices are stubbornly expensive. Airline tickets, while cheaper than this summer, are still higher than they were before the pandemic.  And don’t expect the cancellations and delays that infuriated travelers in recent months to stop anytime soon.  Major cruise lines like Carnival, Princess Cruises and Norwegian Cruise Line have dropped their vaccine requirements. As of Sept. 5, passengers leaving on Royal Caribbean International from the United States on certain cruises were allowed to provide their own Covid test results, instead of one from a health professional, according to the company, which has also dropped its vaccine requirements."

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/09/09/travel/fall-travel-plans.html

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

On 8/29/2022 at 10:51 AM, Gourmet Gal said:

Hi, that update is not 100% correct.....it really depends on the country you are entering. Example, if you are cruising out of Canada or even stopping in a Canadian port on a cruise they (the Canadian Govt) is requiring a negative test before you get on board and that is even if you have been fully vaxxed.

• Like 1