Would you cruise if only ports were private islands?

George C

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, I was mildly surprised when I realized it was made in Peru. My purchase helped more than the merchant I bought it from.

My daughter and her husband had a trip to Greece scheduled for 2 months ago but had to cancel it.

9 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Where I have been and what I have experienced is not what matters here. What matters is that we all should be aware of our destination and our destiny while there.

You, obviously, have been to the Caribbean 29 times too many. Perhaps that qualifies you as a pseudo-pirate of sorts. Whatever the case, should you venture there again, remain on the ship no matter the port. You and the locals will be better off for it. 

Where I have been and what I have experienced on my 30 cruises to the Caribbean is in fact what matters here.  I am able to pay it forward and discuss cruising and all of the different nuances involved.  

I don't know your cruise history because it's not listed in your signature.  I do know you've been on here for almost six years and you have yet to reach 500 posts.  If you want people to trust your posts, type a few words and educate everybody about how many cruises you've gone on and how many lines.  You're like the Loyal Royal that bashes Carnival without ever having sailed on her.

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I realize you do not have to go to Jamaica to get a Bob Marley tee shirt, but I do wish that if you are in Jamaica that the shirt is a local product. But, I guess these days almost everything is made in China.

You can get products locally made but I find you have to leave the tourist markets. Locally produced always costs more so they know not to bother flogging it to the mass market tourists as they are usually swayed by price. 

14 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Certainly you do not justify using the term "riffraff" (post #22) in describing an ethnicity or a citizenry. And most certainly, your occasional unpleasant circumstance or "longing" - as well as that of anyone else's - be damned, when used as an excuse to besmirch a collective. Where I have been and what I have experienced is not what matters here. What matters is that we all should be aware of our destination and our destiny while there.

You, obviously, have been to the Caribbean 29 times too many. Perhaps that qualifies you as a pseudo-pirate of sorts. Whatever the case, should you venture there again, remain on the ship no matter the port. You and the locals will be better off for it. 

Post 22 was made on 5/5/2020, long before the latest unpleasantness rocking our nation. I personally didn't read "riffraff" as applying to every inhabitant but I'm not in the previous posters mind.