Would you cruise if only ports were private islands?

George C

Would you cruise if only ports were private islands or just a cruise to nowhere? This would not bother me at all I like being on a ship but do want to visit at least one beach. We stay on board for many Caribbean ports and all of them that tender.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, George C said:

Would you cruise if only ports were private islands or just a cruise to nowhere? This would not bother me at all I like being on a ship but do want to visit at least one beach. We stay on board for many Caribbean ports and all of them that tender.

Absolutely not because you are more likely to get infected on the cruise ship then from in a port .If the port was in a city that had a virus problem the ship would not be stopping there.

A cruise to nowhere is not something we would ever want to do.We live 10 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean. We can go there sit on a bench and gaze at the water and feel very relaxed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Absolutely not because you are more likely to get infected on the cruise ship then from in a port .If the port was in a city that had a virus problem the ship would not be stopping there.

A cruise to nowhere is not something we would ever want to do.We live 10 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean. We can go there sit on a bench and gaze at the water and feel very relaxed.

What is your source for the claim you are more likely to get sick on board, as opposed to on land? I don't think you can prove that. 

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

What is your source for the claim you are more likely to get sick on board, as opposed to on land? I don't think you can prove that. 

If you are on a cruise ship with thousands of people you cannot avoid them unless you spend the entire cruise in your cabin.On land you have a better opportunity to avoid crowds.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you are on a cruise ship with thousands of people you cannot avoid them unless you spend the entire cruise in your cabin.On land you have a better opportunity to avoid crowds.

Sorry, but that proves nothing. Particularly, as prior to Covid, millions cruised every year without getting sick. We have been on 22 cruises, averaging over 10 days each, and never got sick, knock on wood. I would think (theory, not stating as fact), you are far more likely to get sick on the flight to/from your cruise. Much smaller space, much closer to others.

• Like 5

Hi George

Short answer. No.

Your question isn't quite complete. 

If the question was would I go on a cruise like that last year, the answer might have been yes. If the question was, would I go on a cruise like that next year, again, the answer would be maybe. If the question was, would you consider this cruising, the answer would be No. One more time, if the question were would I go on a cruise like that anytime between now and many months after cruises had started up again without incident, then the answer would be "No".

The way you are phrasing this, makes it seem like you are just so desperate. I love the ocean as much as anyone. There are other options, such as a private yacht. In time we will all see, if there is a viable cruising industry and it is safe for us to travel that way, you can go on the cruise to nowhere, I'll go somewhere I would like to visit. 

I have no interest in cruising just for the sake of being on a ship and never have. (Well, at least not since I was a kid.)

I will not be taking a cruise until I can be fairly sure that the itinerary I book will be the itinerary I get on embarkation day, and that I won't be subject to a quarantine afterwards. 

When those are givens, talk to me again about booking.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, George C said:

It's not my number one choice but if that is what is offered I would do it.

I want many days at sea and we often stay on the ship at least one portday. (We have stayed on the ship in Nassau, St Thomas, Marseilles, Naples and Kona.) 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

It's not my number one choice but if that is what is offered I would do it.

I want many days at sea and we often stay on the ship at least one portday. (We have stayed on the ship in Nassau, St Thomas, Marseilles, Naples and Kona.) 

I understand staying on board for Nassau, we loved Naples had some of the best pizza in my life there , wife loves shopping in st Thomas 

4 minutes ago, George C said:

I understand staying on board for Nassau, we loved Naples had some of the best pizza in my life there , wife loves shopping in st Thomas 

I have a sister who lives in Italy so portdays there are not very important for us. The stop in Naples was just for a few hours in the afternoon and we had a very nice afternoon on the ship.

• Like 1

Ah! This question assumes that folks only cruise to the Caribbean.  It ignores cruises to Hawaii, Alaska, Europe, Asia, Australia,  South America, etc. 

The context changes when someone had to give up a port visit in Rome or Iceland.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Ah! This question assumes that folks only cruise to the Caribbean.  It ignores cruises to Hawaii, Alaska, Europe, Asia, Australia,  South America, etc. 

The context changes when someone had to give up a port visit in Rome or Iceland.

Yes I was just talking about Caribbean in general , but decades ago I did short cruises to nowhere from nyc. 

I would like to think I could enjoy a wide variety of vacations. With that said, I would not choose a cruise to no where. That many sea days is too boring.

But if the alternative in the meantime is a private island to get my fix of beach and ocean, I'm all in.

• Like 1

Ya wanna beach? I am less than three miles from the Gulf of Mexico. I'll charge you less than a balcony/verandah and feed you just as good. I'll even throw in my cat (Tony the Tiger), he likes to hear cruising stories.

Into the 80s most days recently and the forecast low tonight is 68. Almost like being there.

Let me know, I'll clean the sheets!

Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have no interest in cruising just for the sake of being on a ship and never have. (Well, at least not since I was a kid.)

I will not be taking a cruise until I can be fairly sure that the itinerary I book will be the itinerary I get on embarkation day, and that I won't be subject to a quarantine afterwards. 

Could not have said it better. The first thing we look at is itinerary, and then we go from there.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, George C said:

Yep.  I would do it in a heartbeat.  Like some of the others, I sometimes cruise for the destinations.  However, other times, I cruise for the purpose of disconnecting from my normal routine.  A private island cruise is a great way to just relax and disconnect.  No cell phones, no news, no cares.  Actually, that sounds like heaven to me right now. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, George C said:

Dear GC,

These private islands are the best destination besides the ship. No island riffraff, cleaner environment. My dream cruise ! I would only get off the ship for a private island.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Sorry, but that proves nothing. Particularly, as prior to Covid, millions cruised every year without getting sick. We have been on 22 cruises, averaging over 10 days each, and never got sick, knock on wood. I would think (theory, not stating as fact), you are far more likely to get sick on the flight to/from your cruise. Much smaller space, much closer to others.

I can only post from my personal experience.I have only flown 3 times to board a cruise ship and have never been ill.

Edited by lenquixote66

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Precisely my sentiments.

No, we cruise for destinations. If we just want to enjoy sun and ocean with no agenda we go to an all inclusive. I have no intention on booking a cruise at this point until cruises start sailing again and have a few months under their belt with no issues. So won’t be booking until they are back to full itinerary cruising. If that means we don’t cruise for a couple years that’s fine.

• Like 4