Would you cruise if only ports were private islands?

George C

If the ship is serious about enforcing new Post-Covid requirements then it won't matter where the cruise is heading. We have crossed the Atlantic many times with most of the cruise spent at sea. It was wonderful and illness free. Personally a Caribbean 4-7 night ship port only cruise would be a great get away option!  Let's get a vaccine and deal with the new normal!

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 2:28 PM, CruiserBruce said:

What is your source for the claim you are more likely to get sick on board, as opposed to on land? I don't think you can prove that. 

ok? can you prove your point?

Yes I would cruise to the private island occasionally. I enjoy some short four day cruises just to change things up. Good for a little getaway. The virus cancelled my Australia plans, actually cancelled all my plans. Looking forward to cruising again. Got sea sick once all the rest have been favorable +25. 

On 5/5/2020 at 5:38 PM, Aquahound said:

Yep.  I would do it in a heartbeat.  Like some of the others, I sometimes cruise for the destinations.  However, other times, I cruise for the purpose of disconnecting from my normal routine.  A private island cruise is a great way to just relax and disconnect.  No cell phones, no news, no cares.  Actually, that sounds like heaven to me right now. 

I am with you on this one.  I love to cruise for the sake of cruising.  The destination comes in second. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, clo said:

What is it that you love about them? Asking sincerely.

• a budget friendly port - no need for an excursion (although there are some offered), typically a picnic is included
  • relaxing beach day (assuming you like the beach) without pushy vendors - something common at many of the Bahamian/Caribbean ports
  • generally no extra transportation to figure out or currency issues (I know this isn't an issue for many, but for those who do not want to do any extra this can be nice)
  • often have hiking/walking paths
  • some shopping available (got some cute jewelry at Princess Cay from a local lady set up on the more private, quieter side - looked more handmade than the main shop)
  • options for party atmosphere and crowds if that's what you like or quiet spots if you prefer and are willing to walk a little
  • generally very clean beaches
  • if you don't like beach days or hiking, you can enjoy a less crowded ship and take advantage of port day sales (spa/bar specials)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

The only private island I know is Coco Cay. It's been upgraded with all sorts of activities. Maybe I would go for a two-day visit then sail home, but I doubt I'd do it more than once.

You know Coco Cay from Royal, but you're not familiar with Labadee, which is visited by Royal and Celebrity?  There is Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay from Carnival, Princess Cay from Princess, Harvest Caye from Norwegian and Castaway Cay from Disney.  Edit....Forgot about the newest one, Ocean Cay from MSC.

Edited by SNJCruisers

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I live about an hour away from the Jersey shore and would not think about comparing the beaches there versus Labadee or Grand Turk or HMC for a second.  Unless you live in FLA, I think you would be hard pressed to compare a beach in other areas of the continental US to any of the 3 cruise port beaches I mentioned above.

Aside from some parts of the Keys, Florida's beaches still aren't as nice. Don't get me wrong, say the word and I'll be at a Florida beach in a heart beat. Beautiful weather and the sound of the ocean is one of my favorite things ever. However, going to beaches in say, the Bahamas or the Carribean, is a different world. For me, I don't care if I have been to a port a million times or any other preconceived notion about it. There are few places I would rather be than an ocean with clear water and white sand.

• Like 1

You know Coco Cay from Royal, but you're not familiar with Labadee, which is visited by Royal and Celebrity?  There is Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay from Carnival, Princess Cay from Princess, Harvest Caye from Norwegian and Castaway Cay from Disney.  Edit....Forgot about the newest one, Ocean Cay from MSC.

Grand Turk is not a private island.

You left out Grand Stirrup Cay for NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clo said:

What is it that you love about them? Asking sincerely.

I enjoy the fact that there aren’t panhandling or people trying to sell you trinkets non stop.  Beaches are all beautiful. Usually only 1 ship at the island at a time. Only once was a second ship at Half Moon Cay when I was there. I’ve been at Grand Cayman with 6 other ships several times. That’s a lot of people!

• Like 1

Not going to change my previous opinions in favor of a cruise with only private islands, but I also have enjoyed visiting other ports when I had a specific purpose to do so.

A few years ago, my HAL cruise was visiting ports, all of which, I have been "there and done that" of any interest to me.  I decided on shore visits to sample the various port's offerings of a Rum Punch.  What could be more appropriate for a Caribbean cruise, I thought.  The vendor at each port whom I patronized served a somewhat different Rum Punch.  All were good.  Interactions with the staff at the venues added to my enjoyment during my "tour".  

Who was the winner?  The operator of a small establishment outside of the St. Lucia's port's guest welcoming center.  A delicious beverage with plentiful rum.  If I had ordered a second one, someone would have needed to guide me to the gangway in order to rejoin the Nieuw Amsterdam.  

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 2:13 PM, George C said:

Would you cruise if only ports were private islands or just a cruise to nowhere? This would not bother me at all I like being on a ship but do want to visit at least one beach. We stay on board for many Caribbean ports and all of them that tender.

100%, without a doubt.  I wish there were even more of these types of itineraries.   I'd pick private islands first, then cruise to nowhere.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 5:31 PM, rkacruiser said:

Not going to change my previous opinions in favor of a cruise with only private islands, but I also have enjoyed visiting other ports when I had a specific purpose to do so.  

Agreed.  By reading through this thread, I get the impression some think it's one or the other.  Like you, I happen to enjoy both.  I'm not a single-purpose cruiser. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Agreed.  By reading through this thread, I get the impression some think it's one or the other.  Like you, I happen to enjoy both.  I'm not a single-purpose cruiser. 

I believe that the OP started the thread because of the threat of private island stops being the only places that the first group of Guinea pig cruises could go to in case that there are many countries  that would not allow cruise ships to visit during the late summer and early fall.

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I believe that the OP started the thread because of the threat of private island stops being the only places that the first group of Guinea pig cruises could go to in case that there are many countries  that would not allow cruise ships to visit during the late summer and early fall.

That is absolutely correct and that is why we booked a private island cruise first. We went from having an 18 day cruise from Australia to Hawaii with 20 hours of flying in April that was canceled to a 4 day cruise to a private island and driving to the port. A little of something is better than a lot of nothing.  We will do the long cruises after, when the world solves this problem. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 2:28 PM, CruiserBruce said:

What is your source for the claim you are more likely to get sick on board, as opposed to on land? I don't think you can prove that. 

I have no idea if anything can be proven any more.As far as my source it is solely my opinion.Would you like to live in a society where people could not view an opinion ?