How will elevators work in the age of social distancing?

I am guessing the cruise lines are politely going to tell you, we can sanitize the ship more, but you essentially are on your own in terms of trying to dodge getting infected.  They are not going to be able to enforce wearing masks, limit elevator usage, etc., without people being thrown in the brig (this is my vacation, I don't want to spend it in a mask!).  They will probably limit venue capacity, but I imagine they will want to avoid confrontations with guests.    Also, here is a legal form to sign before boarding, don't sue us if you get infected or stuck on a ship.

Edited by epanchenko

3 hours ago, DISFANS3 said:

Take the stairs..

The stairs for those who have some mobility issue is a problem. Can be a little dangerous , some pax feel the need to shove on by.

Happens more than one thinks, witnessed it on every cruise I've taken.

4 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see elevator attendants and mask requirements for a period of time.

When I go to Yankee Stadium, there is an elevator attendant inside the elevator to limit crowd sizes, but the elevators there are huge.  I can't imagine with the clientele cruises attract that they are going to be able to limit elevator usage to one or two couples, there are just not enough of them.

10 minutes ago, epanchenko said:

When I go to Yankee Stadium, there is an elevator attendant inside the elevator to limit crowd sizes, but the elevators there are huge.  I can't imagine with the clientele cruises attract that they are going to be able to limit elevator usage to one or two couples, there are just not enough of them.

Even two couples in a cruise ship elevator exceeds social distancing protocols so a mask should be required. I work every day with a mask it's not all that bad. I only pull it up when things get tight or I'm working at someone else desk. If I was using an elevator on cruise I'd definitely want one.

Edited by Big_G

19 hours ago, TYMAN said:

If they're like the elevators at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort new Tower, the buttons are on the outside and not inside. Once you push the button on the outside, that's where it goes. If someone else gets on thinking they can pick another floor....nada, no interior buttons! But, yes, they can still get on. 

Didn't know that....which is a great feature!  🙂 

Too many times we have been scrunched into the back of the elevator by pax getting on to go up, when they were really going down.  Really adds to the crowding.  😞 

I also find it annoying, when a large group of pax, already on the elevator when the doors open on the top deck (when you are trying to go down) don't get off.   I sometimes ask them if they are still going up?  😉 

Edited by island lady

10 hours ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

People are going to start practicing their fake cough.  One way to get an elevator all by yourself.😇🤣🤣

There is another way..."butt" it doesn't smell so good.  😉 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, epanchenko said:

When I first went to Yankee Stadium there was an elevator operator inside because there was no such thing as an automatic elevator.I was not a fan of the team but a neighbor was a player on the team.

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not everyone can climb stairs. I have a stair lift in my home since May 2017 because I could not walk up and down .

And that is why the elevators were made for you.  Sorry about your condition.  😞   

I got a really good eye opener when I broke my foot on Brilliance a couple of years ago.  I was put in a wheel chair...yeah it was that bad.  Normally we never take the elevators. Can't tell you how many elevators I had to pass up when the doors opened.  Worst thing was when it was filled with kids and teenagers.  

Granted some physical conditions may not be visible...but for those that really can take them...it's a shame that the able bodied cannot try to take the stairs more often.  And with all the food on these ships...might be a good idea.  😉   

16 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

It was tested on Harmony and set to be part of the new build on Symphony. Total flop, far fewer people moved per hour. One big drawback was someone would see a open door walk in and be stuck because they did not use the outside call button to request a new floor.  I think Carnival Horizon is having better luck. 

The limitation with the Harmony test is that it was only installed on one set of elevators and only on a few decks. They need to try again. It can be made to work.

64A9F86A-97F9-4918-8CA9-AE38676B8F01.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Pratique said:

The limitation with the Harmony test is that it was only installed on one set of elevators and only on a few decks. They need to try again. It can be made to work.

64A9F86A-97F9-4918-8CA9-AE38676B8F01.jpeg

I don't remember seeing this on Harmony. Was it an upgrade or done on the original build.

6 minutes ago, Big_G said:

I don't remember seeing this on Harmony. Was it an upgrade or done on the original build.

It was a test conducted in December 2017.

2 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

If you click on 9-14, does it stop at each floor? 🤣

Touching 9-14 brought up another screen where you could select a specific deck.

Edited by Pratique

2 minutes ago, Pratique said:

It was a test conducted in December 2018.

Touching 9-14 brought up another screen where you could select a specific deck.

I was on her January 19. Did they remove the screen or am I having a brain fart.

20 minutes ago, island lady said:

And that is why the elevators were made for you.  Sorry about your condition.  😞   

I got a really good eye opener when I broke my foot on Brilliance a couple of years ago.  I was put in a wheel chair...yeah it was that bad.  Normally we never take the elevators. Can't tell you how many elevators I had to pass up when the doors opened.  Worst thing was when it was filled with kids and teenagers.  

Granted some physical conditions may not be visible...but for those that really can take them...it's a shame that the able bodied cannot try to take the stairs more often.  And with all the food on these ships...might be a good idea.  😉   

When I was healthy I always took stairs on cruise ships.From age 29 to 54 I worked on the 17th floor of a Manhattan office building. I walked up the 17 flights every morning from age 29 to 45 as well as many days when I went out for lunch.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that there will have to be some way to limit the number of people on an elevator at any given time.  How will that work?  I can't imagine passengers would police themselves.  It seems like there would have to be crew members on every floor, at every elevator bank, 24 hours a day.

You go back to days when a elevator had a elevator man to allow people on and off to what ever the safe capacity would be

Sent from my iPad using Forums

20 hours ago, rtazz17 said:

You all realize social distancing will go away right? Thats when cruising will resume. Its not a permanent thing. Humans arent meant to be 6 feet away at all times. Become a hermit if you want that. I dont.

Exactly how I see it.

19 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

I think its the dead bodies which are telling us not to do it.  I am weary of people in denial, perhaps because my work is in hospitals.

So we are supposed to live like this forever cause of the virus? With all due respect to your experiences working in a hospital I didn't expect to not be able to vacation, eat out and play poker in my well earned retirement so the left could exploit this pandemic to get Trump out of office.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

How are land elevators going to work with social distancing.  I would think that would present a larger risk to most everyone than cruise ship elevators, since you most likely use land ones more often.

I remember when I was working two years ago and the prime time (9AM, Noon-2PM, 5PM) backups. Cars crowded nose to nose almost. Main lobby jam packed waiting for the next car. Even worse when a car was under repair. Cruise elevators only come close to that at the end of muster and when a  show lets out of the theater.

Everything can not and should not be changed for SD.  This to shall pass but until then use the stairs if you are concerned or must use an elevator on a ship wear a mask or you may have to pass on cruising for a while.

34 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

If you only take the stairs how do you know what day it is ?🤣

I was lost on Vision....being an older ship....there was no "day" listed on the elevator floor!  😮 😮😉 

• Haha 3