How will elevators work in the age of social distancing?

I'm guessing that there will have to be some way to limit the number of people on an elevator at any given time.  How will that work?  I can't imagine passengers would police themselves.  It seems like there would have to be crew members on every floor, at every elevator bank, 24 hours a day.

6 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I'm guessing that there will have to be some way to limit the number of people on an elevator at any given time.  How will that work?  I can't imagine passengers would police themselves.  It seems like there would have to be crew members on every floor, at every elevator bank, 24 hours a day.

That doesn't seem realistic.  (Also, I am of the belief that getting to herd immunity is a better solution than social distancing, but won't get into that one now.  😀)  They would have to reprogram the elevators, but you could scan your room key and hit your floor number on the outside and then hit a number of how many were in your party.  Then the screen you scanned would tell you which elevator to go to and it would drop you off at that floor.  The computers controlling the elevator would manage the loads and wouldn't allow you on or off without doing that.  I have stayed at hotels that do this and it really makes it efficient as the elevators no longer stop at every stinking floor and never open the doors to let people on when there isn't room.  

3 minutes ago, KsucAts said:

That doesn't seem realistic.  (Also, I am of the belief that getting to herd immunity is a better solution than social distancing, but won't get into that one now.  😀)  They would have to reprogram the elevators, but you could scan your room key and hit your floor number on the outside and then hit a number of how many were in your party.  Then the screen you scanned would tell you which elevator to go to and it would drop you off at that floor.  The computers controlling the elevator would manage the loads and wouldn't allow you on or off without doing that.  I have stayed at hotels that do this and it really makes it efficient as the elevators no longer stop at every stinking floor and never open the doors to let people on when there isn't room.  

I've heard of this too, but what stops somebody (or a group of somebodies) from getting on when the door opens to let others off?  I realize the elevator may not go where they want it to, but I bet that doesn't stop some people from trying.  Also, what's to stop extra people from getting on when "legit" people get on?

Edited by time4u2go

If they're like the elevators at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort new Tower, the buttons are on the outside and not inside. Once you push the button on the outside, that's where it goes. If someone else gets on thinking they can pick another floor....nada, no interior buttons! But, yes, they can still get on. 

Edited by TYMAN
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I've heard of this too, but what stops somebody (or a group of somebodies) from getting on when the door opens to let others off?  I realize the elevator may not go where they want it to, but I bet that doesn't stop some people from trying.  Also, what's to stop extra people from getting on when "legit" people get on?

I guess nothing stops them, but they will learn pretty quickly to do it the right way when they can't get off at the floor the want.  I also think the extra efficiency in the elevators would make up for not cramming them full and people would be willing to follow the rules (for the most part).  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

If they're like the elevators at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort new Tower, the buttons are on the outside and not inside. Once you push the button on the outside, that's where it goes. If someone else gets on thinking they can pick another floor....nada, no interior buttons!

Yup.  Exactly.  The most recent one I have stayed at like that is the Marriott in downtown KC.  It has around 30 floors or so and it works great.  I have stayed in similar sized hotels before and on some of the middle floors it is almost impossible to get on with your luggage during popular checkout times in the morning because they are always full when it gets to your floor.  Then it takes the people already on there much longer to get off because they have to stop at every floor.  I am sure most everybody here has experienced that before.  

• Like 1

You all realize social distancing will go away right? Thats when cruising will resume. Its not a permanent thing. Humans arent meant to be 6 feet away at all times. Become a hermit if you want that. I dont.

Edited by rtazz17
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

I live on the 35th floor of a high rise, and our condo association arbitrarily decided that no more than 3 people should be in an elevator car at any given time.  That has worked out exactly as you might think (most people ignoring it for the most part) - and I think that’s what would happen on a cruise ship.  Ships are under-elevatored anyway, and people aren’t just going to stand around on vacation wringing their hands hoping they will be “allowed” on the next elevator car.  I mean, sure, maybe a few people for a few months would once cruising resumes - but I fully agree with RTazz17 - social distancing is a knee jerk phase that, too, shall pass.  It was originally just for two weeks to “slow the spread” before the goal posts were moved a few times. 

The great thing about living in a free society is that if you want to remain socially distant, God bless, stay in your home.  No one is forcing you to go out into the world.  The rest of us, I think, are starting to grow weary of putting our lives on hold just because the talking head on TV told us to.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

If they're like the elevators at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort new Tower, the buttons are on the outside and not inside. Once you push the button on the outside, that's where it goes. If someone else gets on thinking they can pick another floor....nada, no interior buttons! But, yes, they can still get on. 

They are not like those elevators though

4 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

For now, but you never know.....:-) 

Still doesn't do anything about social distancing issues.  I've used those types of elevators (yes, including the one at Disney) and all they do is get you to enter your desired floor outside the elevator.  They do nothing to determine how many people are in your party, or how many others want to go there.  It might be one person going to floor 5.  It might be 20 people going to floor 5.  All the elevator knows is that it needs to send a car to that lobby to bring people to floor five.  

Hence the reason I put, "But, yes, they can still get on." It doesn't solve the complete problem, but it still would help. I guess that's the difference between our mind sets. No worries, enjoy your day. 

PS...I take the stairs anyway.

Edited by TYMAN

44 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

The newer elevator technology does sound like a good idea.  I wonder if Royal is in the process of installing it in any of their ships.

It was tested on one of the ships (Pretty sure it was an OA class ship) a year or two ago. After a while I never read of any more reports of it so I’m assuming it just faded away. 

39 minutes ago, Lidodeckdrinks said:

The rest of us, I think, are starting to grow weary of putting our lives on hold just because the talking head on TV told us to.  

I think its the dead bodies which are telling us not to do it.  I am weary of people in denial, perhaps because my work is in hospitals.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

I think its the dead bodies which are telling us not to do it.  I am weary of people in denial, perhaps because my work is in hospitals.

As is where I work, but I'm still trying to stay positive about cruising soon. That's what I love about the staff here at the hospital I work, all positive! We will get through this! Negatives don't cut it in a hospital setting, but for some reason it sure does on CC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KsucAts said:

Yup.  Exactly.  The most recent one I have stayed at like that is the Marriott in downtown KC.  It has around 30 floors or so and it works great.  I have stayed in similar sized hotels before and on some of the middle floors it is almost impossible to get on with your luggage during popular checkout times in the morning because they are always full when it gets to your floor.  Then it takes the people already on there much longer to get off because they have to stop at every floor.  I am sure most everybody here has experienced that before.  

Most Marriott Hotels (hi rise ones) are like that. The Marriott Marquis in Times Square has that. It's where we stay every trip to NYC which has been every 18 months or so, sigh, not right now though.  My complaint is that a group will walk up and one of them will push the number and then when it says which elevator to get on, they all go.  Each person should be pushing the button to avoid crowding.  We've had to go back a couple of times and push the button again because a group of 10 decided to do that.

Just my opinion, but I think cruising as we know it is over. Major changes will have to take place. Including elevators. 

is there anyone who doesn’t believe modern cruise ships are “under elevatored”?  Like everything else that doesn’t  generate revenue, they get squeezed out. Next time ships go in to be amped, they may have forgo the fancy new shops and restaurants and put in more, perhaps smaller elevators. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Nope, doubt there will be limit when Cruises start....though I never use Elevators, think last one used on a Cruise was 7rs ago

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It was tested on one of the ships (Pretty sure it was an OA class ship) a year or two ago. After a while I never read of any more reports of it so I’m assuming it just faded away. 

It was tested on Harmony and set to be part of the new build on Symphony. Total flop, far fewer people moved per hour. One big drawback was someone would see a open door walk in and be stuck because they did not use the outside call button to request a new floor.  I think Carnival Horizon is having better luck. 

• Like 1