What will the New Age Sailings look like? Your thoughts

eltigre

3 hours ago, glrounds said:

Excellent realistic view and analysis, IMHO.

There will never be anything like the "normal" again until we have a vaccine. It'll have to be a near 100% successful vaccine, also. PROOF of vaccination with this vaccine will have to be provided right along with boarding pass and passport or you don't board. And, as EscapefromConneticut states, the costs will go through the roof. Retired, it'll probably be the end of cruising for me. 34 cruises, always had a ball, Thank you, Carnival. 🙂

I have said all along, that if a vaccine becomes available, it may be a requirement to board. I know that a lot of people I’ve discussed this with disagree, but I could see it happen. Cruise lines cannot afford to have cancellations to the magnitude we experienced this Spring happen again. 
I do hope the prices don’t go as high as you are suspecting. I, too, am retired and have a retirement budget. I put money into a vacation fund every month to allow myself to cruise. I would not be very happy if cruising was priced out of my budget. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ray98 said:

If people are getting sick on a cruise then they will also be getting sick from their local restaurant, grocery store or work place.  Society will not, and cannot, stay shut down long term.

I am banking on seeing what happens as restaurants, etc open to determine the probability of my January cruise happening. I am amazed at the people that keep moving their cruises to the soonest possible date for when they resume. There were people that had their March cruises cancelled that moved their cruise to my April cruise, then got cancelled, and moved again to June, July, and then August. Amazing. All I can figure is that they are of the younger generations that are not taking this pandemic as seriously as us older folks. But as much as my hubby and I have been in lockdown here, relying totally on a grocery pick up service, we have begun to venture out. Masked up and with hand sanitizer. I totally agree that society cannot take this shut down any longer. Losing one’s lively hood could be just as deadly to a family as contracting the virus. People need to work, and having your government keep sending checks is NOT the answer. That needs to stop. We need to start building our economy up. And we need to start with bringing all our business home from China, and start producing what we need right here in the USA. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I am banking on seeing what happens as restaurants, etc open to determine the probability of my January cruise happening. I am amazed at the people that keep moving their cruises to the soonest possible date for when they resume. There were people that had their March cruises cancelled that moved their cruise to my April cruise, then got cancelled, and moved again to June, July, and then August. Amazing. All I can figure is that they are of the younger generations that are not taking this pandemic as seriously as us older folks. But as much as my hubby and I have been in lockdown here, relying totally on a grocery pick up service, we have begun to venture out. Masked up and with hand sanitizer. I totally agree that society cannot take this shut down any longer. Losing one’s lively hood could be just as deadly to a family as contracting the virus. People need to work, and having your government keep sending checks is NOT the answer. That needs to stop. We need to start building our economy up. And we need to start with bringing all our business home from China, and start producing what we need right here in the USA. 

I agree.  There is a reason the younger generations aren't taking it as serious though, the statistics show the have little risk if they are healthy.  Sure, there is always a chance but just like with influenza, the overall risk is minuscule.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, glrounds said:

Excellent realistic view and analysis, IMHO.

There will never be anything like the "normal" again until we have a vaccine. It'll have to be a near 100% successful vaccine, also. PROOF of vaccination with this vaccine will have to be provided right along with boarding pass and passport or you don't board. And, as EscapefromConneticut states, the costs will go through the roof. Retired, it'll probably be the end of cruising for me. 34 cruises, always had a ball, Thank you, Carnival. 🙂

The white flag flying might be a tad early, hope springs eternal.

2 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I have said all along, that if a vaccine becomes available, it may be a requirement to board. I know that a lot of people I’ve discussed this with disagree, but I could see it happen. Cruise lines cannot afford to have cancellations to the magnitude we experienced this Spring happen again. 
I do hope the prices don’t go as high as you are suspecting. I, too, am retired and have a retirement budget. I put money into a vacation fund every month to allow myself to cruise. I would not be very happy if cruising was priced out of my budget. 

But where does that requirement stop  the flu. MMR. pneumonia shots  . Once you have a requirement than that opens the door for other requirements. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, shipbound2 said:

But where does that requirement stop  the flu. MMR. pneumonia shots  . Once you have a requirement than that opens the door for other requirements. 

All talk,  would be shocked to have a mandatory vaccine

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shipbound2 said:

We'll have to see what happens when cruise lines start sailing again, if people start getting sick with COVID-19 things will change quickly for the worst hopefully this won't happen

Very much so. 
    MLB is proposing to start the season without fans. All to prevent a few hours of crowds in close quarters.

The cruise executives have a much bigger problem: Crowds together over

many days and nights.
      Worse yet, let's say one contagious fan at an Orioles games infects four other fans and the hot dog guy. That's five infections ... with symptoms not appearing for days. Maybe the origin ultimately gets traced back to the game, maybe not.

But put the same infected person on a cruise ship. He's again in contact with lots of people, but closer ... and in more interactions ... and over a vastly longer time.
      Even so, let's be optimistic: He infects just four other passengers and his MDR assistant waiter. 
       The problem for guys like Donald,

Fain and Del Rio is: those who've been sickened may start showing symptoms (or devolving to critically sick) while they're still on board. The cruise line can't hide it.

Unlike the Orioles games, the cruise will instantly be obvious as the common contact point. (And CNN is going to find out, especially if there are ambulances waiting at the debarkation port).

The cruise industry has no way to maintain secrecy or plausible deniability when things go south in future cruises.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 10:27 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

This is what I see for the former "buffet".  It's now called "The Cafe".  Whens you enter, your given a paper menu which allows you to mark off your meal.  A server comes over, takes your menu....he goes to the food area and prepares your plate.  You can order whatever  you want and ask for the serving size you want (so it's unlike the mdr).  In addition, because of increased space between tables there will be a lot of rolling carts offering breads, desserts, fruit etc.  Drinks such as juices, coffee, tea will also be served this way.  There will be increase space because there won't be as many passengers.  In addition, "The Cafe" may have longer hours to accommodate more people. 

I like this idea too! The “Lido Cafe” - maybe allow people to order ahead on the Hub app. Or take deliveries like they do for pizza for an up charge. 

On 5/8/2020 at 10:40 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

My summary is....more spacious, more staff per passenger....much higher prices.

If this becomes true then that will be the end to us cruising. A big part of why we cruise is that value proposition; Having food, drink, entertainment, and transportation included in the price. If that value disappears then we will find an alternative vacation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

When the public finds out they are safer on a cruise ship than at a ball park, everyone will want to cruise.

3 hours of crowds, not a week with 3000+ guests, eating, drinking, mingling, dancing, oh please

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coevan said:

bathrooms

3 hours of crowds, not a week with 3000+ guests, eating, drinking, mingling, dancing, oh please

One cough or sneeze is enough to infect a number of people. Does it matter how many times over they are infected? A rhetorical question. Oh please.

On a cruise ship, people can be quarantined to their cabins and there is medical staff to observe and attend to them. What does a stadium do? Likely nothing. Are stadiums going to take temperatures of everyone entering and have them fill out questionnaires? Cruise ships are more capable of adapting new technology and recommendations.

A stadium holds many times more people and what are the odds of all of them washing hands, sneezing or coughing into sleeves? Oh please. The sanitation of stadium concessions, vendors, bathrooms, etc vs on a cruise ship? Oh please. and on and on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shipbound2 said:

I hope your right,you'll be surprised what politicians will do to get control of our lives.

Nothing politicians do now a days surprises me.  It’s a control world in which we live.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, coevan said:

Oh Gheez, more conspiracy theories. There are many good politicians that sacrifice a much better career in the private sector to be a public servant. 

There are also many bad politicians who exit public service worth millions more than when they entered. They should be required to wear sponsor badges like NASCAR. Of those, many who move on to be lobbyists and really rake in the dough.

• Like 1

I have a friend who is a Senator in Colorado, he could make 10X his Senator's salary. He seriously is a good man who is always available to his constituents. Are there crooks, of course, in it for the wrong reason, of course,  hello Moscow Mitch 😁

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

All talk,  would be shocked to have a mandatory vaccine

I would be shocked if masks were not mandatory at least initially when cruise lines resumes operations. I don’t see the CDC allowing cruising without them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I would be shocked if masks were not mandatory at least initially when cruise lines resumes operations. I don’t see the CDC allowing cruising without them. 

I agree about the masks, especially in the first month or so.  I don't think there will ever be a mandatory vaccine requirement.  But, I'm also believing that the number of cases will drop considerably by late summer.

1 hour ago, coevan said:

I have a friend who is a Senator in Colorado, he could make 10X his Senator's salary. He seriously is a good man who is always available to his constituents. Are there crooks, of course, in it for the wrong reason, of course,  hello Moscow Mitch 😁

You are not wrong.

6 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

But, I'm also believing that the number of cases will drop considerably by late summer.

Perhaps. But there will likely be a second and perhaps third wave. Maybe more. It depends on how foolish some people are.

4 minutes ago, HLGW60 said:

Here is an interesting article which lists 9 ways cruises will change according to the writer:  https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cruising-changes-caused-by-coronavirus/

I agree that buffets as known before Covid will disappear, less crowded ships, changes in itineraries and more health screenings.  Instead of issuing thermometers, they may do like many industries are doing and place fever sensing cameras around the common areas.  Toyota MS has placed these in their entrances.  They detect fever and note whether the employee is wearing the required mask.  One thing I don't agree with is the restriction on older cruisers.  Cruise lines have already said that this is not going to happen again when they start back up.  I hope the cancellation policies will be relaxed, but the changes in this will be short lived, if they do occur.

26 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I agree that buffets as known before Covid will disappear, less crowded ships, changes in itineraries and more health screenings.  Instead of issuing thermometers, they may do like many industries are doing and place fever sensing cameras around the common areas.  Toyota MS has placed these in their entrances.  They detect fever and note whether the employee is wearing the required mask.  One thing I don't agree with is the restriction on older cruisers.  Cruise lines have already said that this is not going to happen again when they start back up.  I hope the cancellation policies will be relaxed, but the changes in this will be short lived, if they do occur.

I agree with everything you said and I am also concerned about possible restrictions for older travelers.   I took notice of the following since it appears the CDC may be the one determining who can cruise.

“The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) may require even stricter limits on who can cruise. The above limits on older travelers and those with preexisting conditions were part of an early cruise industry plan to contain coronavirus on ships presented to the CDC. But in a nine-page “no-sail” order issued last week for cruise ships sailing out of U.S. ports, the agency suggested the industry needed to develop a far more robust plan before resuming operations.”

I followed the link and read this:

The CDC’s new order, which was nine pages long, hinted at U.S. government frustration with cruise lines.

In a section titled “critical need for further cooperation and response planning,” the agency suggested an initial response plan drafted by the cruise industry for the CDC in March and a new response plan submitted on April 3 had significant shortcomings.

The new response plan that the CDC has ordered the cruise industry to produce in the next seven days “must go further to reduce industry reliance on government and shoreside hospital resources,” the CDC said.

The CDC said the new plan must have further details of how the industry will provide for the acute care needs of critically ill passengers and crew on ships. It also must address laboratory sampling and testing of sick people on ships, onboard mitigation and prevention strategies, disinfection protocols, personal protective equipment, repatriation of foreign nationals and onshore transportation, including through contract medevac helicopters.

The agency also said the industry needs to spell out how it proposes “to acquire, staff and operationalize this plan with minimal burden on federal, state or local government entities or the healthcare system.”

From the sound of this, ships may have to devote more space to medical facilities and medical professionals.

Edited by HLGW60

9 hours ago, HLGW60 said:

I agree with everything you said and I am also concerned about possible restrictions for older travelers.   I took notice of the following since it appears the CDC may be the one determining who can cruise.

“The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) may require even stricter limits on who can cruise. The above limits on older travelers and those with preexisting conditions were part of an early cruise industry plan to contain coronavirus on ships presented to the CDC. But in a nine-page “no-sail” order issued last week for cruise ships sailing out of U.S. ports, the agency suggested the industry needed to develop a far more robust plan before resuming operations.”

I followed the link and read this:

The CDC’s new order, which was nine pages long, hinted at U.S. government frustration with cruise lines.

In a section titled “critical need for further cooperation and response planning,” the agency suggested an initial response plan drafted by the cruise industry for the CDC in March and a new response plan submitted on April 3 had significant shortcomings.

The new response plan that the CDC has ordered the cruise industry to produce in the next seven days “must go further to reduce industry reliance on government and shoreside hospital resources,” the CDC said.

The CDC said the new plan must have further details of how the industry will provide for the acute care needs of critically ill passengers and crew on ships. It also must address laboratory sampling and testing of sick people on ships, onboard mitigation and prevention strategies, disinfection protocols, personal protective equipment, repatriation of foreign nationals and onshore transportation, including through contract medevac helicopters.

The agency also said the industry needs to spell out how it proposes “to acquire, staff and operationalize this plan with minimal burden on federal, state or local government entities or the healthcare system.”

From the sound of this, ships may have to devote more space to medical facilities and medical professionals.

I have a posted a link of what CLIA is working on to assist the industry in this area, it addresses the items mentioned.   Here is the link.

Edited by jimbo5544