Further Cancellations by Seabourn

DCCruiser57

Holland America, Princess, and Seabourn followed Carnival's lead but suspended sailing through the summer and into the fall with Seabourn being the most dramatic.

Here's a summary:

Seabourn Extends Pause To Global Ship Operations Into October, November 2020

SEATTLE, May 6, 2020  Seabourn, the world’s finest ultra-luxury travel experience, announced today that it will extend the voluntary pause of global operations for its five cruise ships.

The pause will apply to each of Seabourn’s five ships differently with each having a different “effective through” date in either October or November. Specific details are as follows:

• Seabourn Odyssey: paused through the Europe season, with its operations pause effective through November 20.
  • Seabourn Sojourn: paused through Alaska/British Columbia season, with its operations pause effective through October 13.
  • Seabourn Quest: paused through the Canada/New England season, with its operations pause effective through November 6.
  • Seabourn Encore: paused through the Europe season, with its operations pause effective through October 19.
  • Seabourn Ovation: paused through Europe season, with its operations pause effective through November 6.

Full release is at https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/news/pause-global-cruise-operations.html

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Holland America, Princess, and Seabourn followed Carnival's lead but suspended sailing through the summer and into the fall with Seabourn being the most dramatic.

Appreciate this posting, DCCruiser57.  Reality, sadly, is starting to come more clearly into "sharper focus"!! 

In the press release put out for Seabourn's sister operation, Princess, they cited these key factors: "Due to reduced air flight availability, the closure of cruise ports in regions around the world and other factors impacting international travel, Princess Cruises is extending its pause of global ship operations and has therefore made the extremely difficult decision to cancel select cruises through the end of the 2020 summer season."

In the "SS Future" thread on this Cruise Critic board based on information a week earlier from Mark Conroy, Silversea’s Managing Director,  he cited two of three key factors:  "Countries need to allow cross boarder travel" and "Airlines need to be flying".  Clearly, whether it is Carnival or RCCL, the major cruise lines are facing several similiar "big picture" challenges as to if and when they are able to resume cruising.  And to be success with their customer bases. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 239,283

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

11 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Shouldn't this thread be on the Seabourn forum?

No.  This forum isn't exclusive to SS like the FB Passengers group is. 

I imagine DCCruiser57 posted as a courtesy to inform SS passengers since Seabourn is a direct competitor of SS.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Shouldn't this thread be on the Seabourn forum?

I think it is very helpful to have information about developments in the luxury cruise line space.  If this were a post about plans at Costa, I would feel differently.

• Like 1

Where Seabourn goes, it is quite possible SS will too. One might be Carnival, the other RCI but apart from that, they are more similar than different. 

PS slightly off topic - sorry Stumbles but you might want to dial back your hopes for the Moon crossing in November. 

Edited by jollyjones

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I'm afraid you may be right jollyjones.  Dialing back now... 😥

What  !! No  ... that is my light at the end of the tunnel ...... 

For me that’s the Moon crossing the other way next March. I hope we’re back cruising by then but I’m not holding my breath. 

Ditto I hope international borders open without quarantine requirements before then so that air travel becomes a realistic proposition again but I’m not holding my breath on that either. 

4 hours ago, jollyjones said:

For me that’s the Moon crossing the other way next March. I hope we’re back cruising by then but I’m not holding my breath. 

We, too, are booked on that. I'm not confident.... 

There is a real difference here between Seabourn, which has postponed all cruises until Oct-Nov, and Silversea which, according to their website, confirms sailings on all vessels from June. 

I posted this item because Royal Caribbean usually follows Carnival albeit a week or so later.  They have done so two or three times so far.  Thus, I suspect Royal will make some adjustments next week, especially since many countries have not opened up to tourist travel (Italy is closed until 2021) and the airlines don't have hardly any flights.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

I posted this item because Royal Caribbean usually follows Carnival albeit a week or so later.  They have done so two or three times so far.  Thus, I suspect Royal will make some adjustments next week, especially since many countries have not opened up to tourist travel (Italy is closed until 2021) and the airlines don't have hardly any flights.  

While I do not disagree with the sense of your post, there is no such statement about Italy being closed until yearend by an Italian official. It was published last week in both an Indian and a Pakistani newspaper/website sharing a Sputnik (known Russian propaganda website) article, reporting in English what an Italian tourism official purportedly said in Italian to a reputable Italian newspaper. If that has been confirmed, please share.

5 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Any cruising information is pertinent at this point. Please keep posting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

We, too, are booked on that. I'm not confident.... 

I share your doubts but hope we are wrong.The problem with cruising is it relies upon too many situations beyond the cruising companies control....

Each individual country will have different visiting/exiting controls.

Air travel ,so essential for cruising,will have to cope with massive financial problems unless a prompt start of World services are quickly resumed which looks extremely unlikely.

The response of the world public to travel and holidays will be vital yet cannot be relied upon. I would not make a future reservation as circumstances are at the moment but I appreciate that is a personal choice.

As witnessed on other threads there is no guarantee of your cruise sailing and even doubts regarding the safety of such an investment.

Very sad but we live in hope of returning to our favourite holiday,a Silversea cruise,by 2022,fingers crossed!